Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Someone please talk me out of offering this guy $2500. Please, my wallet will appreciate it

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1904962050.html

Proven engines, reliable, parts available from ap1, good price, vtwin power means you've got easy mode wheelies.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

redscare posted:

Someone please talk me out of offering this guy $2500. Please, my wallet will appreciate it

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1904962050.html

I'm unqualified to speak to the genre (let alone the brand) but the price seems to be on the low end of the believability range, where the scammers live and breathe. And I have to believe that at these speeds the risks associated with spotty maintenance are magnified 10X.

If you know what you're doing and it doesn't cost $82.95 for an oil filter, I say get over there and don't turn around. Because the, uh, Kommissar's in town...

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006
CB 305 Burial Ground, if I was able to buy that lot of 3 CB 305s for $500, this would have been a fantastic find for me. Still a great ad.

quote:

Ancient HONDA 305 Burial Ground discovered! CB77 CL77 Super Hawk - $175 (west marin)

A recent archeological dig in the hills of west Marin has unearthed what appears to be the sacred burial ground of a small herd of Honda 305 Scramblers & Superhawks, long-extinct vintage beasts that roamed this land in days gone by, providing at least a partial answer to the oft-asked question: where do old Honda 305s go when they die? A selection of the bones are shown in the photos below, bleached white not by the African sun but in this case by humdity-induced oxidation, all ferrous skeletal parts & vital organs generously coated in iron oxide... This is only a small sample of the discovery, highlights including an early CL77 Scrambler bottom end, CB77 crankcases, cylinder head, cams, carburetors, engine covers, clutches, oil pumps, brake plates, starter motors and much MUCH more, including a box full of 100% pure unobtanium fasteners... No frames or cylinder barrels - apparently these parts must have been used in some form of transplant procedure to keep other members of the herd alive??? The entire find is offered here at one low price to local museum curators and those of you practiced in the art of vintage motorcycle vivisection... Jump in your Land Rover, drop it down into 4-wheel Low and come on out to dig through the remains in person... Pith helmets optional!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1910590140.html

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

dr.gigolo posted:

CB 305 Burial Ground, if I was able to buy that lot of 3 CB 305s for $500, this would have been a fantastic find for me. Still a great ad.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1910590140.html

I would give him $150 for the ad alone.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Marv Hushman posted:

I'm unqualified to speak to the genre (let alone the brand) but the price seems to be on the low end of the believability range, where the scammers live and breathe. And I have to believe that at these speeds the risks associated with spotty maintenance are magnified 10X.

If you know what you're doing and it doesn't cost $82.95 for an oil filter, I say get over there and don't turn around. Because the, uh, Kommissar's in town...

I own a falco and it's the best value for a sporty sport touring bike around. There are a few gotchas with the bike, but nothing more than any other model of bike out there. If you are willing to spend a bit more or wait around you can probably find one farkled out with helibars/cans/seat/etc for not too much more. If you want something sportier than a VFR (I've owned two) and a really fun engine I encourage anyone to consider them.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

God I hate seeing these aprilias for sale now that I'm thinking about selling my tuono. They are so much bike for the money. Great for buyers terrible for sellers. They don't disappoint.

Maintenance on ape's really isn't any worse than most jap bikes. Ok, maybe a little, but they're no old ducatis! And everything you ever wanted to know is on apriliaforum.com and as Z3n said AF1 in texas is a reliable parts source.

threeskin
Jan 2, 2006
One skin, Two skin
Looking to get my first bike.

This looks like a lot of fun. Is there any pitfalls I'm missing?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1914263794.html
or
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1913832391.html
or
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1904730561.html

I'm indecisive :/

threeskin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 23, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd go for the CX500 as a first bike. I wouldnt pay $1200 for a 450 nighthawk, or the worlds most confused marauder

threeskin
Jan 2, 2006
One skin, Two skin
The GL500? My only thing is it looks heavy as hell.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

threeskin posted:

The GL500? My only thing is it looks heavy as hell.

It's not that bad, low seat height, easy to handle. I had one, it was a fun little bike, good starter.

threeskin
Jan 2, 2006
One skin, Two skin

Z3n posted:

It's not that bad, low seat height, easy to handle. I had one, it was a fun little bike, good starter.

Thanks, going to give the guy a call on my lunch break.

He already sold it... for 550 :/

threeskin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 23, 2010

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

I'd go for the CX500 as a first bike. I wouldnt pay $1200 for a 450 nighthawk, or the worlds most confused marauder

I love my CX.. It'd be a great beginner's bike, but it's a bit on the hefty side as far as weight goes, so be weary of that.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Got him to drop to $2900, which still seems like a good deal. Going to look at it (and probably buy it) tonight. Anyone want my KLR?

threeskin
Jan 2, 2006
One skin, Two skin

redscare posted:

Got him to drop to $2900, which still seems like a good deal. Going to look at it (and probably buy it) tonight. Anyone want my KLR?

ok, this guy has been posting for almost a week. Once again, first bike for me. What do you think I should offer him?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1905747087.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Assuming it's running, I'd offer $800, but bring $900 in case.

threeskin
Jan 2, 2006
One skin, Two skin
Ended up picking it up for 900. Nice older guy and it's in great condition.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Man I found these CRAAAAAAAZY good deals on a 2008 CBR1000RR and a 2000 CR250 in central Iowa! Can't believe that bastard is even selling them! Holy poo poo!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3342298

2008 CBR1000RR with useful mods - $7725

2000 CR250R with freshly rebuilt forks and many new parts - $1650

PM me for the super awesome cycle asylum discount.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Holy poo poo.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/1912337528.html

quote:

1978 Honda cbx 1000
my dad just gave me this bike and i am looking to get rid of her to a good home. its complete, been sitting in the garage for 7 years. ran great when last ridden. the bike is located in hesperia at this time. thanks, rick..

$1800.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
I heard that 908 miles away. It rattled the windows.

I'd offer the DR-Z in a straight across trade. Because it is.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The small, sane part of my head listens to what blaster of justice says, and remember stories of screwdrivers longer than your leg needed to service the inside carbs.

And I know that I wouldn't like the fact that it can only run old, lovely tires, and that I have no money to be buying projects if I ever expect to race again. I know there'd be at least a grand in carb rebuild kits, fluids, and tires before it would so much as turn a wheel, and that for around 3-4k I could totally have a nicely running CBX already to go. But goddamn if I don't want it. :(

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
someone should find the father and tell him what an ungrateful little poo poo his offspring is :argh:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Raven457 posted:

someone should find the father and tell him what an ungrateful little poo poo his offspring is :argh:

Seriously, gently caress that kid

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

The small, sane part of my head listens to what blaster of justice says, and remember stories of screwdrivers longer than your leg needed to service the inside carbs.

And I know that I wouldn't like the fact that it can only run old, lovely tires, and that I have no money to be buying projects if I ever expect to race again. I know there'd be at least a grand in carb rebuild kits, fluids, and tires before it would so much as turn a wheel, and that for around 3-4k I could totally have a nicely running CBX already to go. But goddamn if I don't want it. :(
$2800 for a CBX you brought back from 7 years of storage
Add $1000 for Excel wheels and good tires.

Then go race it. ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

$2800 for a CBX you brought back from 7 years of storage
Add $1000 for Excel wheels and good tires.

Then go race it. ;)

**attempts to corner**
**frame bends in half from the grip on modern tires and wheels**
**diverts to a nascar course now that the bike will only turn left, dies***

Nah, I've already figured there's only one way I can buy a CBX. It needs to have a spondon frame, 3.5/17 front and a 5.5 or 6.0/17 on the rear, and it must sound like the fist of god. Oh, and a proper set of handlebars for street hooning.

Goddamn, gently caress that kid.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I need a lot of people to tell me what I already know so I don't do something dumb.

2003 Honda RC51
-6,073 miles
-Power Commander III
-Runs and rides great, everything seems straight as an arrow
-Yoshimura dual exhaust
-520 Chain kit
-Brand new frame sliders
-CRG levers
-Old sprockets
-Passenger pegs

$2,999

Yeah, it's a salvage title because of this:

The other side looks perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD5twHHmKqc

Help me, Cycle Asylum! You're my only hope!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Buy it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If I only have $1500 laying around.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1918267591.html

Also probably cost 4x that in the first year for maintenance, although only 5700 miles somehow. Must have rode it to the grocery store and back once a month for 38 years.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I need a lot of people to tell me what I already know so I don't do something dumb.

2003 Honda RC51
-6,073 miles
-Power Commander III
-Runs and rides great, everything seems straight as an arrow
-Yoshimura dual exhaust
-520 Chain kit
-Brand new frame sliders
-CRG levers
-Old sprockets
-Passenger pegs

$2,999

Yeah, it's a salvage title because of this:

The other side looks perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD5twHHmKqc

Help me, Cycle Asylum! You're my only hope!

Man that's a good deal on an RC51. They're pretty much the best sounding twins ever (sorry spiff). Built to dominate what honda felt was unfair displacement rules in WSBK back in the day. Awesome bikes, a pretty unique piece of motorcycling history. I'd go ride it because they have a reputation for being hideously uncomfortable, and it really belongs on a track, so I don't know if it'll be worth it if you don't want to take it to the track and find it super uncomfortable.

But if you can live with the ergos, it's a fantastic bike.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Plinkey posted:

If I only have $1500 laying around.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1918267591.html

Also probably cost 4x that in the first year for maintenance, although only 5700 miles somehow. Must have rode it to the grocery store and back once a month for 38 years.

I would buy that in a god drat minute.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scrapez posted:

I'm considering getting a cash advance at 0% apr for 12 months on my credit card. I think I need another whiskey first.

That's only like $100 a month financing. :)

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 26, 2010

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Admittedly, I know nothing about that bike but god drat it looks awesome and that low of miles for that price on a non-molested bike. I am a sucker for survivors like that.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scrapez posted:

Admittedly, I know nothing about that bike but god drat it looks awesome and that low of miles for that price on a non-molested bike. I am a sucker for survivors like that.

I know nothing about it either, from wiki its a Czech company that basically is falling apart since the fall of the soviet union.

I'd probably just park it in my living room under my TV and ride it a few times a year, its gorgeous.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Plinkey posted:

I know nothing about it either, from wiki its a Czech company that basically is falling apart since the fall of the soviet union.

I'd probably just park it in my living room under my TV and ride it a few times a year, its gorgeous.

You know, there's a point where I would have thought that doing that to a bike is blasphemy, but as I get older I realize that there are some bikes that have to be enjoyed sparingly because parts are simply not available for them.

The old CX650 turbo that I rode is kinda like that...you may as well only pull it out when you're going to play on a nice day because someday it'll grenade and it'll be a bitch and a half to find parts to rebuild it. And it lets people see and enjoy bikes they might not otherwise have a chance to ride.

I bet that thing is a blast. I financed my racing career on a 0% APR credit card, it can't be a worse idea to finance a Jawa on one. :v:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Scrapez posted:

Then I hope you don't mind if I call you loving insane. Where I live a 1972 JAWA is around $150 not $1,500 and, just in case you didn't know, bikes where I live are 300% more expensive compared to where you live due to taxes.

This is not only one of the worst bikes of the '70s (only rivaled by the MZ 259), it's probably one of the most lovely bikes ever made in history. Todays lovely Chinese crap is miles ahead of '70s Eastern Block QA for low-end export bikes.

But hell, don't mind that parts are unavailable - every single part you'll have to manufacture in your garage using only a dremel, a chisel and a hammer will be way better than the original part.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 26, 2010

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

But, but it it looks cool! :)

Really, though, I find it hard to believe you can buy that bike for $150. You can't here in the states. The only similar one I could find is this ebay auction. Granted it didn't sell but the guy was asking $2100:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Jawa-350-twin-1975-/120607305023?pt=US_motorcycles#ht_500wt_1182

He was in Canada I guess.

Like I said, I'm a sucker for old original bikes in good shape so it is possible I am insane.

Edit: Here are a few more for reference:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1911672475.html
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/1909983078.html
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/1895889415.html
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/1891513165.html
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1887448793.html

$1500 doesn't seem that crazy out of the question compared to those.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 26, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Scrapez posted:

Really, though, I find it hard to believe you can buy that bike for $150. You can't here in the states. The only similar one I could find is this ebay auction. Granted it didn't sell but the guy was asking $2100:

Europe was flooded with cheap East Block bikes during the '70s and '80s. That might explain it. They're pretty unsellable today, even to collectors - mostly because nobody is insane enough to collect them.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
We idealize that which is foreign to us. I'd love to have a Red Army Chiang Jiang, which is probably held in similarly low regard by the locals (and probably costs the same $150), but by the time all the middlemen are bribed and it's shipped, you're up to 3K.

Ceska Zbrojovka (CZ) is very much a going concern, it's just that they're more successful with firearms than motorcycles. Same with Steyr. Royal Enfield was the other way around.

BTW, it was the Eastern Bloc, not Block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Jawa is actually quite well-known for making speedway bikes.