Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sneaking Mission posted:

I was looking through uservoice and noticed a few items which have been taken care of starting at the 1.0 release.

http://salr.uservoice.com/forums/48...ation?ref=title
Clicking on the SA logo on the options page produces a config dump

http://salr.uservoice.com/forums/48...irst-?ref=title
Fixed in the 1.0 release

http://salr.uservoice.com/forums/48...olors?ref=title
Should work in the 1.0 release if you have the forums-side options for this enabled.

http://salr.uservoice.com/forums/48...-load?ref=title
Committed this fix since using the forum option for this seemed more miss than hit for me.

Also committed a few rap sheet related requests from the firefox SALR thread and toned down the cancer highlighting option.

Plus a couple branches for Ferg to criticize once he gets unbusy.
getquote with new lazier quick reply
settings with experimental settings page changes (maybe too experimental :ohdear:) and a few settings-related changes including Martytoof's thread highlighting request. I can merge these into the main branch separately if you're not able to withstand the power of the new settings page.

(I didn't mean for this to come across as a to do list, just getting some notes down.)

Should have some time later this week to sit down with all these changes.

Captain Capacitor posted:

Once I have my development machine back, I'm going to finish my emoticon autocomplete branch and the code highlighting :)

Sneaking, you're setting a bad example. If you keep adding stiff the users are just going to get used to it. :colbert:

Been looking forward to seeing this feature get completed :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
This is kind of a crazy request, but what if, for the "convert links to inline images", there was an option to show the larger image when you rollover the link, similar to the way the facebook extension does it. I think this could look better than ending up with large images butted up against thumbnails of the same image.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Looks like an embedded Youtube video will bleed through the quick reply box if there's one underneath.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Some new APIs have dropped into Chrome's beta channel:
http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/beta/contextMenus.html
http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/beta/experimental.omnibox.html

I feel like the omnibox (used to be omnibar?) API could have some cool uses if there was a shortcut search provider for the forums. Might not be too difficult to implement. Also, context menu support finally.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Just FYI, if you're in that forum mode that only shows a single users posts in a thread (the question mark option), the navigation bar doesn't work correctly. Clicking any of the buttons brings you back out of "?" mode.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just FYI, if you're in that forum mode that only shows a single users posts in a thread (the question mark option), the navigation bar doesn't work correctly. Clicking any of the buttons brings you back out of "?" mode.

Ah yeah, good catch. It's dropping the userid field in the URL.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Ferg posted:

Ah yeah, good catch. It's dropping the userid field in the URL.

I have sent in the fix for this 2 days ago so the keyboard, mouse, and page navigator handle this properly. I think you dropped out of watching my repo.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sneaking Mission posted:

I have sent in the fix for this 2 days ago so the keyboard, mouse, and page navigator handle this properly. I think you dropped out of watching my repo.

Oops. I did somehow stop watching your repo. Got it now though. I'll merge everything en masse soon.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Another quick request: The ability to enable/disable items in the top menu. The all or nothing approach is like using a shotgun for surgery; I want to get to the Control Panel page, but I really don't need asking if I want to purchase a new account/avatar/whatever on every page I visit.

It should be pretty simple to have a series of checkboxes on the SALR settings page to remove individual items if they're unchecked, although I don't know how so many individual page modifications would affect browser performance.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

This is really nitpicky, but is there any way to get "Forum Admin/Moderator/Thread Poster" under their respective names like the firefox plugin, and like the SALR Devs currently get? I find it easier than trying to remember what colors represent.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."
unread thread highlighting isn't working for me.
Chrome 6.0.472.41 beta
SALR 1.0.3

threads with unread posts are moved to the top of my userCP list, and are shaded green in forum view, so it just seems to be affecting the UserCP

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

nuvan posted:

unread thread highlighting isn't working for me.
Chrome 6.0.472.41 beta
SALR 1.0.3

threads with unread posts are moved to the top of my userCP list, and are shaded green in forum view, so it just seems to be affecting the UserCP

IIRC this was by choice so that the star coloring would be usable.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This is really nitpicky, but is there any way to get "Forum Admin/Moderator/Thread Poster" under their respective names like the firefox plugin, and like the SALR Devs currently get? I find it easier than trying to remember what colors represent.

Turn on user notes (should be on by default now for new installs).

Testing the next release now. Lots of fixes, revamp of the settings page with previews of your settings, live preview in quick reply, and other small stuff.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Ferg posted:

Turn on user notes (should be on by default now for new installs).

Testing the next release now. Lots of fixes, revamp of the settings page with previews of your settings, live preview in quick reply, and other small stuff.

I have it on. I assume thats why SALR Devs have a title below their names. However, the three groups I mentioned don't have notes. I can just live with it the way it is though.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
After running into issues trying to set up some default values for some new options I wanted to add, I think I've found a much nicer way of setting up default values, without relying on the 'salrInitialized' option being set, that should remove headaches from adding new options in the future :)

EDIT:- Committed! If someone could take a look at extension/js/settings-handler.js in my fork and comment on my method, I would appreciate it. It seems to work a lot better for me than the 'all or nothing' approach of testing against an init value.

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 27, 2010

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Check out my minimalist menu, people:

Click here for the full 1006x448 image.

and here's the new settings behind it:

Click here for the full 870x670 image.

I'll commit this as soon as I've done a little tweaking :)

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008
I just wanted to say, I never knew about this plugin before and it has increased my browsing by 200% over just a few hours. Many thanks!

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Mod/Admin post highlighting stopped working for me. Own posts and posts quoting me are still highlighting correctly. While in the thread listing, the Mod/Admin names are still highlighting for Author and Killed By.
Version: 1.0.3

Settings page:

Click here for the full 514x734 image.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lansdowne posted:

Mod/Admin post highlighting stopped working for me. Own posts and posts quoting me are still highlighting correctly. While in the thread listing, the Mod/Admin names are still highlighting for Author and Killed By.

Settings page:

Click here for the full 514x734 image.

I came to post this - my settings and version are similar.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lansdowne posted:

brylcreem posted:

I came to post this - my settings and version are similar.

Edit: I lied, looks like the forums may have updated. I'll have it fixed in 1.1.
Edit2: I must be drinking. Issue was already fixed and I just hadn't merged the commit. Props to SneakingMission.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 28, 2010

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Whoops, sorry everybody; I've fixed all of the EOL characters in my fork, and everything should merge properly with the master now.

Also, can I suggest that the default settings method that I implemented get merged soonish? We'll run into real trouble if people start implementing their own settings and the method's changed.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Should probably use some of Github's feature to keep track of all the changes are under development. I, for one, had no idea what Rohaq was up to.

I still don't know what Sneaking is up to.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rohaq posted:

Whoops, sorry everybody; I've fixed all of the EOL characters in my fork, and everything should merge properly with the master now.

Also, can I suggest that the default settings method that I implemented get merged soonish? We'll run into real trouble if people start implementing their own settings and the method's changed.

I'm looking through the changes now.

Should probably use some of Github's feature to keep track of all the changes are under development. I, for one, had no idea what Rohaq was up to.

We could use the issue tracker off of my repo to keep all development work centralized and have a forum for discussing any changes.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

heh heh heh

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

I didn't really 'plan' the last change I made: I just sort of looked at all of those useless links at the top of the forum, and threw together something in a couple of hours after researching how to correctly identify each element.

And I changed the default setting initialisation method after running into problems setting up my own defaults without needing to clear the salrInitialized variable first.

Although it occurs to me that a hash would be a better method of storage than the method I'm using at the moment; the localStorage object seems to be a hash of sorts; any ideas on how to set up and use a new hash object so I can tidy up the storage method for the default settings?

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

In JavaScript they're associative arrays. So you could do something like

code:
var defaultSettings = new Array();
defaultSettings['color1'] = '#99cc99';
defaultSettings['color2'] = '#f2babb';
and then you can just iterate through that

code:
for (key in defaultSettings) {
    if (settings[key] === undefined) {
        settings[key] = defaultSettings[key];
    }
}
or something like that.

And just to let you know, the settings stuff in settings-handler.js is just a copy of the stuff in message-hander.js. It's some messy (and bad) duplication I put in there to prevent some errors so Ferg could get a release out. They really need to be unified at some point.

Sneaking Mission fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 29, 2010

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Sneaking Mission posted:

In JavaScript they're associative arrays. So you could do something like

and then you can just iterate through that

or something like that.

And just to let you know, the settings stuff in settings-handler.js is just a copy of the stuff in message-hander.js. It's some messy (and bad) duplication I put in there to prevent some errors so Ferg could get a release out. They really need to be unified at some point.

Awesome, I'll write a regex to turn my two arrays into a single associative array tomorrow: My solution is a tad messy itself at the moment, but it should be pretty easy to sort.

I'll also take a look at message-handler.js and see if I can't unify everything after that.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rohaq posted:

Awesome, I'll write a regex to turn my two arrays into a single associative array tomorrow: My solution is a tad messy itself at the moment, but it should be pretty easy to sort.

I'll also take a look at message-handler.js and see if I can't unify everything after that.

Ideally all logic that refers to a specific preference, or manipulates preferences for the entire extension in any way (like setting defaults), should happen in message-handler.js. settings-handler.js is more just a UI controller for the settings page and makes that whole thing run. message-handler.js is the meat for communicating with the content scripts.

Also, anybody who figures out how to eliminate the obnoxious breaklines between quotes in the quick reply live preview, or figures out how to make it auto-scroll, will have my eternal gratitude. Just sayin'.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Hmm, should user notes be working on your own posts? I tried adding myself as an SALR dev, but nothing's appearing for me on my posts.

EDIT:- Never mind, found out why: Because settings.userNotes isn't null, it doesn't rebuild the list. Doy!

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 29, 2010

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Another quick question: Has anyone got a reliable way of checking if the user logged in has platinum access? I'd like to look into giving an option to hide plat-only features (like the PM box on the control panel, PM links on profiles, etc.), but I've not got a plat myself, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm meant to be looking for.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Rohaq posted:

Another quick question: Has anyone got a reliable way of checking if the user logged in has platinum access? I'd like to look into giving an option to hide plat-only features (like the PM box on the control panel, PM links on profiles, etc.), but I've not got a plat myself, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm meant to be looking for.

You could make a request to the account features page :)

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

You could make a request to the account features page :)
Hmm, anyone out there with Plat/Archives/No-Ads, could you post the HTML source from that page to somewhere like Pastebin and post it on here? Or my AIM is the same as my username if you want to poke me there. I can then put together a function to return the access levels which we can then use elsewhere :)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rohaq posted:

Hmm, anyone out there with Plat/Archives/No-Ads, could you post the HTML source from that page to somewhere like Pastebin and post it on here? Or my AIM is the same as my username if you want to poke me there. I can then put together a function to return the access levels which we can then use elsewhere :)

I have everything but no-ads enabled. Looks like there's a straightforward CSS class you can checkout: https://gist.github.com/86ad64a933d7aa70995d

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Nice, thanks. I'll work on that after I get these default settings done properly.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Managed to get a function that properly extracts them:

http://gist.github.com/556654

According to various websites and tutorials, I should be able to call that as
code:
this.getUserFeatures().Platinum
to return the platinum status and such, but it the function keeps returning with nothing, at all. The commented out alert boxes in the function return with the state of each feature correctly though.

Any ideas on a fix?

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

The jQuery.get function does not block execution so the function goes straight to the return call. You can't return the values directly from that function, you'll either have to stash them somewhere or process them directly in the callback function.

However, you may want to avoid polling the account setting on every page load since that may add extra stress on the servers. That may attract even more bad feelings towards SALR from the admins than there currently is.

Sneaking Mission fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 29, 2010

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Sneaking Mission posted:

The jQuery.get function does not block execution so the function goes straight to the return call. You can't return the values directly from that function, you'll either have to stash them somewhere or process them directly in the callback function.

However, you may want to avoid polling the account setting on every page load since that may add extra stress on the servers. That may attract even more bad feelings towards SALR from the admins than there currently is.
True; and it's really not meant to be used on every page: At the moment it's just a standalone function; the only place I'm thinking of calling it is on the control panel to hide the PM box when it's not needed.

We could even use it on the settings page to do a one time load of the features their account supports.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Just out of curiosity, how are the emotes in the emote thingy sorted? It seems semi alphabetical but I often see it jump from J-A or whatever.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

It looks like it is in the same order as it is on the Smilies page. Alphabetical in each category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

Sneaking Mission posted:

It looks like it is in the same order as it is on the Smilies page. Alphabetical in each category.

Maybe if I get a chance today Ill add dividers with group names if this is what people would like to see.

• Locked thread