Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

TyChan posted:

U.Va.'s Career Services Dean said that you usually shouldn't worry until about October.

UVA is also a little weird because they do waves of OCI - one in August and one in September. I had a lot of callbacks after Labor Day but they were for the second round of interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Trying to consolidate my student loans is literally the most bureaucracy and red tape and confusion I have ever dealt with in my life and I have worked for the Federal Government.

I am seriously about to choke the gently caress out of someone.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
How are callbacks delivered usually? Should I be looking for e-mails all day or just phone calls, assuming snail mail callbacks are uncommon?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Jove posted:

Thanks for all the advice, guys. You're all probably right and I'll become acclimated given enough time.

I'm moving from Portland, OR so I doubt the weather will shock me.

It will be colder in the winter but less rainy overall so probably on balance an improvement.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Defleshed posted:

Trying to consolidate my student loans is literally the most bureaucracy and red tape and confusion I have ever dealt with in my life and I have worked for the Federal Government.

Haha, yep. You need to talk to Wiggy Marie in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2250971

It was the only way I got through.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

HooKars posted:

UVA is also a little weird because they do waves of OCI - one in August and one in September. I had a lot of callbacks after Labor Day but they were for the second round of interviews.

I think being located in Charlottesville is the main reason why U.Va. has that system. It makes it easier for firm recruiters or attorneys nationwide to schedule a trips. Charlottesville is otherwise fairly inaccessible unless you book pricey flights or feel like driving 6+ hours out.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Petey posted:

Haha, yep. You need to talk to Wiggy Marie in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2250971

It was the only way I got through.

Thanks for the link. I vented in there, but I'm not sure any advice can help me deal with what ultimately comes down to frustration with procedures and the time it takes to get anything done.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Well, firms are kind of silly in that they will only call back a certain number of us, leading to some people who are fantastic getting about fifteen callbacks, a few people getting from like... one to three, and some people getting zero. I have two atm...

It's kind of frustrating, since the top 10% and Law Review people aren't going to work at your v30-100 firm! Why are you bothering!

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

billion dollar bitch posted:

It's kind of frustrating, since the top 10% and Law Review people aren't going to work at your v30-100 firm! Why are you bothering!

See and then I'm top 5% and Law Review at a TTT and I would murder several people to work there but I don't even get an interview ah the crazy games we play

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Save me Jeebus posted:

I just plowed my savings into a taco stand startup.

or cupcakes:

Jalopnik posted:

Kate Carrara runs the Buttercream Cupcake Lady service out of a truck she trundles through Philadelphia every day, announcing her location via Twitter. That's how police knew where she'd be at noon on Tuesday, when they surrounded her converted postal truck with a blockade.

"Three enforcement guys came out with badges blazing," Carrara told the Philadelphia Daily News. "Scared the crap out of me. The three cops with them were looking at me like, 'We can't believe we're doing this.'

"And I'm like, there's crack deals a block away and three cops are surrounding the Cupcake Lady? I mean, really?"

The officers impounded the van and drove away with dozens of uneaten desserts, indifferent to the city's never-ceasing demand for cream cheese.

In any other place, someone who calls themself the Cupcake Lady might have folded like softened butter. But this is Philadelphia, and so of course the woman who sells cupcakes from a truck is also a lawyer with 4,000 followers on Twitter, with whom she was quickly plotting escape scenarios.

http://jalopnik.com/5621812/philadelphia-confiscates-cupcake-ladys-truck-adds-crack-to-liberty-bell

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Cupcake market has either peaked or is peaking. The world always needs more tacos though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kase Im Licht posted:

Cupcake market has either peaked or is peaking. The world always needs more tacos though.

Corn dogs are the wave of the future.

Either that or I'd kill to import one of the thai women from Bangkok who make pad thai on a wok in the streets. Christ that poo poo was phenomenal.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Either that or I'd kill to import one of the thai women from Bangkok

Don't they have websites for that?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

zzyzx posted:

Don't they have websites for that?

If I wanted to screw something that looked like a pile of old leather, I'd be balls deep in a catcher's mitt.

Edit: wow, that has a horrible possibility of being misconstrued. BUT IT STAYS.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Seems like more of a horrible possibility of reading and understanding it.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

CaptainScraps posted:

Corn dogs are the wave of the future.

I was just thinking the other day that I would pay probably 6-8 dollars for a big loving corndog with bacon and cheese inside blanketing the hotdog. And maybe some jalapeno breading instead of standard corndog breading.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Defleshed posted:

I was just thinking the other day that I would pay probably 6-8 dollars for a big loving corndog with bacon and cheese inside blanketing the hotdog. And maybe some jalapeno breading instead of standard corndog breading.

Regular corn dog with some garlic and cilantro aioli spread on it instead of mustard.

BUT

You can get what you want at a restaurant in Austin. http://hotdogscoldbeer.com/eats/

Do not get the bacon and cheese infused bloody mary. I got it on a dare. It tastes like the poo poo left in a upturned glasses in a dishwasher. Ugh.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 26, 2010

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).
Reading this thread is like watching a play written by a dog.

e: wrote this before I noticed the corndog discussion

chinchilla fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 26, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

CaptainScraps posted:

Regular corn dog with some garlic and cilantro aioli spread on it instead of mustard.

Dude, if you're serving corndogs the creations have to be as GBS as possible. No self respecting corndog-hoovering neckbeard will eat anything called "aioli"

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Defleshed posted:

Dude, if you're serving corndogs the creations have to be as GBS as possible. No self respecting corndog-hoovering neckbeard will eat anything called "aioli"

Dude, jersey grease truck food holds the GBS food award. There's a place that serves it here too and ugghhhhh, you won't make it out of the restaurant before the grease wants to escape out of your rear end.

Never again.

http://bigbiterestaurant.com/onlineordering.php?cid=17

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

billion dollar bitch posted:

Well, firms are kind of silly in that they will only call back a certain number of us, leading to some people who are fantastic getting about fifteen callbacks, a few people getting from like... one to three, and some people getting zero. I have two atm...

I aimed low and scored. The firms I got a callback are not even V100 but they pay close to market.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Defleshed posted:

Consolidation automatically forfeits the rest of your grace period, right? My loans are with two different lenders and I'll probably end up consolidating them and commencing IBR in November once repayment starts. What's been so lovely about the process?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Elotana posted:

Consolidation automatically forfeits the rest of your grace period, right? My loans are with two different lenders and I'll probably end up consolidating them and commencing IBR in November once repayment starts. What's been so lovely about the process?

The Direct Consolidation people keep losing poo poo, everything takes weeks, Access Group sold some of my loans to a third party who refuses to cooperate with anyone, anytime I try to call anyone I have to hop through 10 menus and then give the mouth breather who finally answers the phone my entire catalog of personal data before they will discuss anything with me...

It's just a clusterfuck. Start preparing during your grace period, and be ready to waste a ton of time on the phone and on various websites trying to move the process along, since it will literally sit still for months if you do not call at least bi-weekly. Direct hadn't received anything back from Access Group after sending a verification request in early June and waited until I called (after seeing no progress for 2.5 months) in Mid August and asked what the gently caress before they actually sent another one.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

CaptainScraps posted:

Dude, jersey grease truck food holds the GBS food award. There's a place that serves it here too and ugghhhhh, you won't make it out of the restaurant before the grease wants to escape out of your rear end.

Never again.

http://bigbiterestaurant.com/onlineordering.php?cid=17

Geez, you dudes need some poutine, the only good thing to come out of French Canada. It's fries with cheese curds and gravy, but now places have popped up that offer specialty poutines: http://smokespoutinerie.com/main.html
Check out the menu for wonders like Philly Cheese Steak Poutine or Hog Town Poutine (poutine + double smoked bacon + italian sausage + caramelized onion + sauteed mushrooms).

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Geez, you dudes need some poutine, the only good thing to come out of French Canada. It's fries with cheese curds and gravy, but now places have popped up that offer specialty poutines: http://smokespoutinerie.com/main.html
Check out the menu for wonders like Philly Cheese Steak Poutine or Hog Town Poutine (poutine + double smoked bacon + italian sausage + caramelized onion + sauteed mushrooms).

Not only have I eaten poutine in French Canada, Texas is already on that poo poo. If you look closely, it's on Frank's menu.

But they use shredded cheese instead of cheese curds :argh: That poo poo should squeak, drat it!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Defleshed posted:

The Direct Consolidation people keep losing poo poo, everything takes weeks, Access Group sold some of my loans to a third party who refuses to cooperate with anyone, anytime I try to call anyone I have to hop through 10 menus and then give the mouth breather who finally answers the phone my entire catalog of personal data before they will discuss anything with me...

It's just a clusterfuck. Start preparing during your grace period, and be ready to waste a ton of time on the phone and on various websites trying to move the process along, since it will literally sit still for months if you do not call at least bi-weekly. Direct hadn't received anything back from Access Group after sending a verification request in early June and waited until I called (after seeing no progress for 2.5 months) in Mid August and asked what the gently caress before they actually sent another one.

Back when I consolidated my loans I had Loan A serviced by Sallie Mae and Loan B with some Illinois agency. I consolidated them with another company, but as soon as I did that Sallie Mae gave a bunch of money to the Illinois agency to buy loan B, even though that agency no longer owned loan B. It took me 6 loving months to get Sallie Mae off my back and convince them that I didn't owe them anything and they bought a blank piece of paper from the Illinois agency.

I've been meaning to look into IBR for like 6 months now but every time I get around to doing it I remember that bullshit and stare at a wall instead.

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).
Sorry, I hate to drag the thread off topic, but I have a quick question about law school.

Will anyone care if I've been on an undergrad mock trial team? Is it worth fitting into a very tight schedule? Or is it on the same level as paralegal work -- useful to get a taste of the profession, but holding no weight on an application?

e: Just to clarify, I read the OP and I get the idea that LSAT-GPA index trumps everything. But I also saw that mock trials / moot courts in law school are good resume fluff, so I figure it's worth asking.

chinchilla fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 26, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

chinchilla posted:

Will anyone care if I've been on an undergrad mock trial team? Is it worth fitting into a very tight schedule? Or is it on the same level as paralegal work -- useful to get a taste of the profession, but holding no weight on an application?
In a scale of 0-10
where 0 is no weight and 10 is everything, it is probably greater than 0 but less than 2. Maybe a touch more if you went national or something.
Only do it if you want to do it.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Undergrad poo poo means nothing. If you were president or founder of a large organization it might be a very slight soft factor tiebreaker, and if you have absolutely no extracurriculars it might be a very slight negative, but beyond that, nothing.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

chinchilla posted:

Sorry, I hate to drag the thread off topic, but I have a quick question about law school.

e: Just to clarify, I read the OP and I get the idea that LSAT-GPA index trumps everything. But I also saw that mock trials / moot courts in law school are good resume fluff, so I figure it's worth asking.

Pretty meaningless in the application process (unless you win the world championship or something), but you could be asked about it in a legal interview or two. But, it might be good for solely your own personal gain. I think anything that forces you to stand up in front of people and speak is good. It will make you far less nervous when you get called on in law school.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

chinchilla posted:

I just got asked about this sort of thing at a screening interview at my lawschool. I didn't get a callback.

Take that as you will.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

chinchilla posted:

You'll do slightly better in evidence class.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

chinchilla posted:

Reading this thread is like watching a play written by a dog.

e: wrote this before I noticed the corndog discussion
And he Heard, As it Were, the Gibbering of the Legally Educated, Some of the Beasts Saying Come and Read, And he Read, and Behold, his Future

The Whirlwind is in the Thorn Tree

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

Right, thanks everyone. I've got lots of experience speaking to groups, but no extracurriculars. Unless research and internships / skilled employment count. Do those count? Just wondering.

In any case I guess it's a "maybe" if I have free time next year.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

chinchilla posted:

Right, thanks everyone. I've got lots of experience speaking to groups, but no extracurriculars. Unless research and internships / skilled employment count. Do those count? Just wondering.

In any case I guess it's a "maybe" if I have free time next year.
They matter more than most extracurriculars to potential employers (and research can be played up in an interview, if substantial). I doubt that they significantly affect admissions decisions, however.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 27, 2010

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 17, 2011

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
tell me about chinchillas

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Omerta posted:

I did mock trial for 4 years of undergrad (at Furman if you care to know) and I doubt it was even marginally helpful for the actual application process. My numbers dictated where I got in.

However, I have found that it was very helpful in understanding where important stuff is early. It really helped me with getting what is important in categorizing the burden, breaking it down into elements, and forming legal rules. Although it will probably be little to no help in the long run, my experience in Mock Trial certainly helped me feel more prepared for law school.

If you end up doing moot court, or doing any actual trial work when you get out, you'll find your AMTA experience incredibly helpful and you'll understand that those who said "You're better at trial than most actual attorneys" aren't lying.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Stunt Rock posted:

If you end up doing moot court, or doing any actual trial work when you get out, you'll find your AMTA experience incredibly helpful and you'll understand that those who said "You're better at trial than most actual attorneys" aren't lying.

That's super depressing. Will it also prepare me for the absolutely terrible choices that actual judges make?

Q: What did Ms. Jane say next to the defendant?
Objection hearsay, your honor may I be heard?
Judge: No overruled, I want to hear what she said.

edit: I can't wait to take evidence though. It was one of my favorite things to read about and work through in mock trial.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Omerta posted:

That's super depressing. Will it also prepare me for the absolutely terrible choices that actual judges make?

Q: What did Ms. Jane say next to the defendant?
Objection hearsay, your honor may I be heard?
Judge: No overruled, I want to hear what she said.

edit: I can't wait to take evidence though. It was one of my favorite things to read about and work through in mock trial.

It depends on the court. Chancery Court tends to be much looser with the rules since the judges are the finders of fact and want to hear EVERYTHING and City Court is usually the wild west west since here any appeal out of city court just results in an automatic re-trial in County Court.