Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sounds like Lords of Magic. The Death guy's name was Balkoth, rode a giant bat.

It was more a strategy game with RPG elements, though. There wasn't any real plot to speak of.

Yeap, that's it all right. The character select screen is exactly what I remember. Thanks mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME

Rollersnake posted:

Probably Silverload, for PS1.

Yup that's it. Thanks

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Used to be a coin-op game I that really sticks to my mind, all I can remember is a little ninja, shooting a Scorpion like hook, and big giant red enemy ninja heads in a dungeon, anyone care to give it a shot?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bluegoon posted:

Used to be a coin-op game I that really sticks to my mind, all I can remember is a little ninja, shooting a Scorpion like hook, and big giant red enemy ninja heads in a dungeon, anyone care to give it a shot?

Rad Action/Kid Ninja?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MoaYv2IoPA&feature=related

No grappling hook, but something that looks like giant red ninja heads about 4:10 in. No dungeon, either, but as I recall, the game had insane, random warp points and a ton of levels.

Loquitor
Dec 29, 2007
non res ipsa loquitor
This is bit vague, but I remember back in 1990ish seeing a computer game running in a shop, but all I saw was one screen and it was a picture of a toilet with teeth - it was a pretty big picture so my brain thinks that it was either a cut scene, or the game was some kind of adventure game. I'm also pretty sure it was on an Amiga or an Atari ST.

That is literally all of the information I have about the game, but I have been periodically and casually searching for this game for the past 5 years on google images to find it, and putting toilet with teeth into google image search can really hurt your mind sometimes.

H
Jul 16, 2005
AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME!!!

squiffy posted:

3D Movie Maker.
You'll be pleased to know there's still an active community for the game. Some of them create absolutely mind blowing movies, building all of their scenes from primitives. Other movies are... childish.
3dmm.com

Oh god, I made soooooo many rape scenes withthis (I was in 7th grade)

I'm trying to remember the name of a game for the regular NES where you pilot robotic dinosaurs against other robotic dinosaurs. It's not METAL WARRIORS, but I think it had a similar gameplay mechanic...

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Loquitor posted:

This is bit vague, but I remember back in 1990ish seeing a computer game running in a shop, but all I saw was one screen and it was a picture of a toilet with teeth - it was a pretty big picture so my brain thinks that it was either a cut scene, or the game was some kind of adventure game. I'm also pretty sure it was on an Amiga or an Atari ST.

Dream Zone came out in 1988, but all I've found is a reference to a toilet with tonsils, and hardly any screenshots.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Loquitor posted:

That is literally all of the information I have about the game, but I have been periodically and casually searching for this game for the past 5 years on google images to find it, and putting toilet with teeth into google image search can really hurt your mind sometimes.

It's not one of the Jet Set Willy games, is it? I've got vague memories of being chased by toilets in those games.

procitizen
May 9, 2010

HYUK HYUK HYUK
There was a top down tactical shooter where you controlled a group of soldiers, and another player controlled another group and each person took turns making them do certain things (click near a wall, "take cover at wall, move to wall, lean against wall" or something) and the other player would do the same thing. Then, both of the players moves would happen at the same time. The background (I think) looked like floor plans, and I don't think it was released yet.
It's kind of vague but it's been bothering me for awhile. Any ideas?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

procitizen posted:

There was a top down tactical shooter where you controlled a group of soldiers, and another player controlled another group and each person took turns making them do certain things (click near a wall, "take cover at wall, move to wall, lean against wall" or something) and the other player would do the same thing. Then, both of the players moves would happen at the same time. The background (I think) looked like floor plans, and I don't think it was released yet.
It's kind of vague but it's been bothering me for awhile. Any ideas?

Frozen Synapse! The game is awesome. :)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

H posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game for the regular NES where you pilot robotic dinosaurs against other robotic dinosaurs. It's not METAL WARRIORS, but I think it had a similar gameplay mechanic...

Dynowarz: Destruction of Spondylus?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Oh boy. Here goes. Its a point and click adventure game I played, or rather watched other kids play in my math class back in the early 90s. The one scene that stands out is you're in the swamp on front of a small house or hut. Off to the side of the entrance in the murky water are a pair of eyes. If you investigate the eyes a big frog rises from the water and eats you whole.

That's all I remember.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mercedes posted:

Oh boy. Here goes. Its a point and click adventure game I played, or rather watched other kids play in my math class back in the early 90s. The one scene that stands out is you're in the swamp on front of a small house or hut. Off to the side of the entrance in the murky water are a pair of eyes. If you investigate the eyes a big frog rises from the water and eats you whole.

That's all I remember.

Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate

Edit: Wait, actually, it's Kyrandia 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8JgHGaiKDM#t=3m40s

As you can see, they make fun of that scene in the second game.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 22, 2010

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

There was this Dos game or something that had a hex-based grid and you were like the AI on a space station and the ship had cargo and aliens and humans on it.

You can add lights, airlocks and some defenses I think and you could also suck things out into space.

The aliens hated the lights as they'd be at a disadvantage vs humans and would try to break them along with whatever else was in the room, including airlocks which may mean they breach your locked door to your precious cargo/humans or into the emptiness of space and blast everyone and everything out through the airlock. I think there may have been pressure pads as well or something, but I'm not sure. This was a long time ago I had this it was free most likely and I forgot the name of it and could never find it again.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Now I barely remember anything about this game: basically just that it was maybe mid-90s to early 2000s, it was on the Windows PC, and one level of it.

The level took place in somebody's mouth. It was nasty, with like green gums and missing teeth. There were also metal braces between some teeth that would electrify every few seconds. In the background there was this horrible dentist drill whining. The protagonist (I think) was a thin and wiry kid with a large head, but I could be remembering wrong on that. It was a platformer, kinda, but I think it had point and click elements.

I hope this wasn't mentioned before in the thread but it's like 48 pages long. :ohdear:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Octal posted:

There was this Dos game or something that had a hex-based grid and you were like the AI on a space station and the ship had cargo and aliens and humans on it.

You can add lights, airlocks and some defenses I think and you could also suck things out into space.

The aliens hated the lights as they'd be at a disadvantage vs humans and would try to break them along with whatever else was in the room, including airlocks which may mean they breach your locked door to your precious cargo/humans or into the emptiness of space and blast everyone and everything out through the airlock. I think there may have been pressure pads as well or something, but I'm not sure. This was a long time ago I had this it was free most likely and I forgot the name of it and could never find it again.

This sounds a lot like Command Adventures: Starship.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/command-adventures-starship

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Neo Rasa posted:

This sounds a lot like Command Adventures: Starship.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/command-adventures-starship

No, you were actually defending a ship I believe. I remember that much. You were like an AI defending the ship and protecting scientists alongside troops who would fight the aliens.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I have one that may be legitimately difficult(no, really), but this thread has a pretty amazing track record so far, especially with some more obscure stuff lately.

I remember playing a game in elementary school (I'd place it about aboooout 1990) that taught kids how to type. It was for the Apple IIGS I thiiiink, and was notable because at the end of each lesson (like home row, upper row, etc), you would have a typing test/challenge. When you succeed at this challenge, you lower some sort of drawbridge for a little troll or gnome to cross, as this troll/gnome was probably the mascot of the game or something.

Other things I remember are that the screens were mostly white (used it as a background color and such), and that it when it showed how to place your fingers on the keys, the on-screen fingers were pretty drat huge. Help me out goons! It's this very game that led to me being able to type like a motherfucker now, so I know I didn't hallucinate this.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Okay I have one. I think it was for the Playstation 1 (but could have been for the SNES). It was a top-down shooter game where you controlled three different types of vehicle. Possibly Tank, Jeep and Helicopter.

It had a two player mode which was great and when one player lost I seem to remember a skull laughing on screen...

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Probably Return Fire, it comes up fairly often in these threads.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sesquiculus posted:

It's amazing to me how many people played this game and then forgot what it was called. I guess it is a sort of generic title. Awesome game though, played on my 3D0 all the time!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I remember seeing some trailers for a game 2-4 years ago. I can't remember anything about it, other than the visual style: It was in a celshaded black and white style, sort of like the Sin City movie.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

Sesquiculus posted:

Awesome, thank you so much!

They should totally release this on PSN.

Convicted Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 28, 2010

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

I remember seeing some trailers for a game 2-4 years ago. I can't remember anything about it, other than the visual style: It was in a celshaded black and white style, sort of like the Sin City movie.

Probably Mad World, for the Wii.

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

all of your troubles are dead and gone~
I have quite a weird one. This is one of the first games I remember playing on a PC.

It was some sort of adventure game for kids. It was 2D, and if I'm not mistaken, was at a side-scrolling perspective for the whole game. All I remember is that you play as some sort of green monster kid (I think? I do remember the color green, and I don't think the character was human). It may have been a series of games, but in the one I played it centered around exploring an old (haunted?) mansion. The only specifics remember is that there's a lot of travelling in an elevator, and there's encounter with the Mona Lisa at some point. I'm pretty sure that the painting talks to you.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Elijah. posted:

I have quite a weird one. This is one of the first games I remember playing on a PC.

It was some sort of adventure game for kids. It was 2D, and if I'm not mistaken, was at a side-scrolling perspective for the whole game. All I remember is that you play as some sort of green monster kid (I think? I do remember the color green, and I don't think the character was human). It may have been a series of games, but in the one I played it centered around exploring an old (haunted?) mansion. The only specifics remember is that there's a lot of travelling in an elevator, and there's encounter with the Mona Lisa at some point. I'm pretty sure that the painting talks to you.

Hugo's House of Horrors?

Endorph posted:

If it's older than the wii game metioned, perhaps it's XIII.

bluegoon posted:

Ninja Spirit has the grappling hook and was a coin-op.

moller fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 28, 2010

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

all of your troubles are dead and gone~

moller posted:

Hugo's House of Horrors?

Nope, I don't think that's it unfortunately. Thanks though!

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
Trying to remember the name of a game I played the demo for a ton back in the mid-late 90's, I think the demo was on a PC Gamer disc. It was an 3/4 top-down isometric game with cartoony graphics where you controlled a gang of thugs, I think some were construction workers and you would send them out to build (I think, fuzzy on this part) and do battle with different colored gangs. It was pretty bright, not serious at all that I can remember.

Cloudchaos fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 28, 2010

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Hooligans: Storm Over Europe springs to mind for the 'gang of thugs' part.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Either that or Constructor, which showed up on GoG not too long ago.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Octal posted:

I hope someone finds this because it sounds pretty cool.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

This one's super vague, sorry.

I saw this game in 1997, but I don't know when it actually came out. Obviously before 1998, but I don't know how old it was at the time. It was (probably) an RTS, either top-down or isometric, with a fantasy setting. There were dragons, which were not your typical green but I don't remember what color they actually were. Maybe red? The ground was snowy, and since I wasn't the one playing all I really remember was watching my friend's dragons destroying some buildings on this snowy landscape.

I know it's not much to go on, but it'd be great to get a title.

edit: just realized that the super-obvious answer is Warcraft 2, but it's definitely not Warcraft 2.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 28, 2010

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Quite a few years ago, I played a game on my PC that placed you in the role of a prehistoric caveman. You had to travel around, gathering food by hunting or foraging while avoiding enemy tribes and dangerous animals. One really cool thing about the game was the crafting, you could make hatchets and assegais (some kind of a spear I think) out of flint. This is what the crafting interface looked like:

Another thing I remember from the game was the conversation system. While wandering around in the wilderness, you'd find other people who you could talk to. Sometimes they'd get angry and threaten to kill you, but you could talk to them and threaten them back and sometimes they would get absolutely terrified and beg for mercy.

The version I played was only the demo version, the village elder of my home village gave me a task to hunt some food for the tribe and after I came back with the food he went "Thanks for the help! If you want to play more, buy the full version of the game!". I think I might have axed him in the face after that and gotten the entire tribe angry at me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Akoogly Eyes posted:

Quite a few years ago, I played a game on my PC that placed you in the role of a prehistoric caveman. You had to travel around, gathering food by hunting or foraging while avoiding enemy tribes and dangerous animals. One really cool thing about the game was the crafting, you could make hatchets and assegais (some kind of a spear I think) out of flint. This is what the crafting interface looked like:

Another thing I remember from the game was the conversation system. While wandering around in the wilderness, you'd find other people who you could talk to. Sometimes they'd get angry and threaten to kill you, but you could talk to them and threaten them back and sometimes they would get absolutely terrified and beg for mercy.

The version I played was only the demo version, the village elder of my home village gave me a task to hunt some food for the tribe and after I came back with the food he went "Thanks for the help! If you want to play more, buy the full version of the game!". I think I might have axed him in the face after that and gotten the entire tribe angry at me.

That looks and sounds identical to The Lost Tribe, is that it?

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Either that or Constructor, which showed up on GoG not too long ago.

This was it, thanks!

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

I think it looks better than Alone in the Dark, but early survival horror in general is not a pretty sight. Were there ever any games other than this and that awful fighting game Ballz to make use of this graphical style?

There was also the Petz series (Catz, Dogz, Oddballz). The Little Big Adventure games used it to an extent for things like hands and eyes, but it was mostly polygons there.

It's a shame that we don't get many unusual game engines these days, that stuff was quite interesting.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

HereticSenility posted:

That looks and sounds identical to The Lost Tribe, is that it?

No, I don't think so. You only controlled a single person, not your entire tribe. I think the game might have been called "Homosapien", but trying to google "homosapien dos game" only gets me Del the funky homosapien.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Akoogly Eyes posted:

No, I don't think so. You only controlled a single person, not your entire tribe. I think the game might have been called "Homosapien", but trying to google "homosapien dos game" only gets me Del the funky homosapien.

Did this game have female cavewoman titties because I had a demo disc as well with a very similar game. I think it was also called homosapien or something along those lines as well.

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X

Akoogly Eyes posted:

It has to be 'Sapiens' http://www.mobygames.com/game/sapiens

Also, I'm looking for a BBC Micro educational game. It used a pressure sensitive pad peripheral, where you could insert different picture cards. (like the Intellivision, but bigger). The cards were the size of an A4 sheet of paper, maybe a little bit smaller, and I think one of the cards may have had pictures of different fruits on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Elijah. posted:

Is it Pajama Sam in No Need to Hide When it's Dark Outside?