Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

InfinEight posted:

Having bought two of these (and also a fan of Y-Wings), I can definitely recommend it. It's far more detailed than the original set and is nicely proportioned. It also has a ton of useful pieces, and I especially liked the creative design of the engines. If you can get it for a reasonable price, go for it. Here's a decent set review in pictures to help you out: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=237907

With shipping it turned out to be $53, which I hope isn't too much to pay. :toot: Now to dig out my Star Destroyer. And see if I can find my TIE fighter and hope it isn't in too many pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingraman
Jul 6, 2005
Arrogant bastard
Made some more bots, including a pretty lame transformer. Explosions linked too if you want to make them. Pretty sure I'm getting the lego equivalent of writer's block.

Exploded http://www.flickr.com/photos/30995509@N02/4870085654/

Exploded http://www.flickr.com/photos/30995509@N02/4927702719/

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ingraman posted:

Made some more bots, including a pretty lame transformer. Explosions linked too if you want to make them. Pretty sure I'm getting the lego equivalent of writer's block.

Exploded http://www.flickr.com/photos/30995509@N02/4870085654/

Exploded http://www.flickr.com/photos/30995509@N02/4927702719/

I really love your stuff, by the way.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Shuppiluliumas posted:

What's the specific issue?

I can't get the heads of the lion-turtle statues to look right. I've gotten close:

I'm ok with not having the ears, they're too small, but the eyes and the nose just don't look right. Getting rid of the 1x1 slopes and just using plates for the eyes makes the face too flat. It's a lot of detail in a small space, but there must be something I can do.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

SubbyMinx posted:

You guys are all finding series 2 minifigs in the US and Canada, but is there any sign of them in the UK yet? I can't seem to find them yet, although I've been working a fair bit, so not had too much chance to look.

I've seen them in W H Smiths.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

Muppetjedi posted:

I've seen them in W H Smiths.

I never saw any series 1 in any shop i tried in Sheffield other than when i went to hamleys in London and they were uber expensive. Very frustrating. I think Sheffield hates lego.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

afflictionwisp posted:

I can't get the heads of the lion-turtle statues to look right. I've gotten close:

I'm ok with not having the ears, they're too small, but the eyes and the nose just don't look right. Getting rid of the 1x1 slopes and just using plates for the eyes makes the face too flat. It's a lot of detail in a small space, but there must be something I can do.

Ok, sorry. Didn't realize the turtles were part of the big building you posted. I honestly don't know what to say about the turtles. At that scale it's hard to do much of anything in the way of facial detail. My only suggestion might be to use a 1x1 brick with studs on 4 sides in the center of the head (in the same orientation as the headlight brick you have in there now), so you could build outward in all directions.

e: The green headlight brick, I mean. The one that's in there sideways.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Just a heads up to all you NoVA goons: the tysons corner LEGO store just ran out of the minifigs. They should be getting in another batch on Sep 1.

Also, they have the City and Castle advent calendars.

And, they have the motorized AT AT damaged box for 20% off.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ladies and gentlemen, the penishands mecha:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Is there something you'd like to tell the group? Maybe you can show us where the robot touched you :pedo:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

InfinEight posted:

Is there something you'd like to tell the group? Maybe you can show us where the robot touched you :pedo:

Everywhere

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Does anyone have his book? I really suggest you all go out and buy it, it has so many cool minifigures Two kids in my class this week have them and everyone has had two or three stickers on their shirt everyday. I'm still trying to decide which sticker I want. I really have to hand it to them for being so generous, if I'd had something like this as a kid I would've guarded it more jealously than Gollum.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got 4995 Cargo Copter in the mail new for $18.

Here's a video I found of building it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GpcYfXoUYY

Coolest thing about it is that it's minifig scale from a creator set.

Also, I finally learned how to tie a knot thanks to building it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

InfinEight posted:

Supposedly I should be able to cram a minifig in there sitting, but the loving torso is such a clusterfuck SNOT mess that if it doesn't fit, welp.

Just ordered the pieces off bricklink, we'll see how it goes when I get it.

~200 pieces.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
HEY GUYS: Did you miss the Series 1 figs? Want 'em without paying silly scalper prices or whatever they're going for? Proposition:

I want a set of the Series 2 figs but I have no money. What I DO have is an extra set of Series 1! I'd be happy to trade my full set of Series 1 figs (all spare parts, bases, etc included) for your full set of #2 if anyone's up for it. US preferred so we both save money shipping. I'm in WA, 98388.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something but the connection for its eyes doesn't look possible (which I normally wouldn't mention, but you said you've ordered parts).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carbohydrates posted:

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something but the connection for its eyes doesn't look possible (which I normally wouldn't mention, but you said you've ordered parts).

This is more of an experiment in SNOT than anything:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

This is more of an experiment in SNOT than anything:

I'm referring specifically to the conflict between the yellow piece and the blue one. Take a close look in LDD and you'll see them clipping through each other. I'm not sure why the program allows that connection.

edit: Doesn't look like it'd be a big enough problem for it not to hold well enough, though

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah. Well, we'll see. Worst case, I just put two 1x1 plates and lift it.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

I'm referring specifically to the conflict between the yellow piece and the blue one. Take a close look in LDD and you'll see them clipping through each other. I'm not sure why the program allows that connection.

edit: Doesn't look like it'd be a big enough problem for it not to hold well enough, though

Here it is. It's not a legal connection as you can see. The headlight brick is pushed out of place a bit, but I suspect it will still work fine.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

HEY GUYS: Did you miss the Series 1 figs? Want 'em without paying silly scalper prices or whatever they're going for? Proposition:

I'd be happy to trade my full set of Series 1 figs (all spare parts, bases, etc included) for your full set of #2 if anyone's up for it. US preferred so we both save money shipping. I'm in FL, 34761

This was such a good idea, I figured I'd offer my spare Series 1 set for the same deal...if multiple people show interest of course.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Advent Calendars are out at the Lego Store, I bought a couple for myself and family. They will be putting the Series Two Minifigs out on Sept 1.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Hit the jackpot today at the thrift store.. 25+ pound box for $49.80 *my postal scale maxes at 25*

What I thought to be a pirate ship turned out to be set #6493 - Flying Time Vessel, still sorting the box though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Veeb0rg posted:

Hit the jackpot today at the thrift store.. 25+ pound box for $49.80 *my postal scale maxes at 25*

What I thought to be a pirate ship turned out to be set #6493 - Flying Time Vessel, still sorting the box though.

Fuckin' score!

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
I knew I shouldn't have read this thread, now I want to go back to my parents' house and pick up my giant tubs of bricks.

I've been looking at the product catalog, and I noticed the train tracks they use now aren't the same as 20 years ago. Are they compatible? I want my Lego train :(

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Glass Joe posted:

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread, now I want to go back to my parents' house and pick up my giant tubs of bricks.

I've been looking at the product catalog, and I noticed the train tracks they use now aren't the same as 20 years ago. Are they compatible? I want my Lego train :(

The lego train hasn't really changed much, its still the same basic size *known as L-gauge* its mostly about how the track is assembled and how the train is powered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Trains

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Veeb0rg posted:

That was the best set. :colbert: I'm in the process of clearing out shelves and desks and sorting through my own Lego, I have a bunch of old train tracks, still. Are the tracks still the same size these days or did they change it when they went to RC motors?

Also I found a #4500 Snow Speeder, I'm not sure where the pilots went off to though. Hoping my Y-Wing comes soon, then I'll have to dig out my Star Destroyer and hope all the pieces are still there.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I'm happy to answer any train-related questions! What kind of track did you have?

I have one, is the current RC-type track compatible from the one from around 10 years ago? (The one that you hooked the wires up to the track and controlled it that way.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 28, 2010

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Glass Joe posted:

I'm happy to answer any train-related questions! What kind of track did you have?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Baggins posted:

I've seen a few rather good vignettes around on different LEGO sites. I'd like to see what you uys can come up with.

Rules are simple. 8x8 studs, whatever you want.

To start us off:

I might re-create this in real bricks later with the Toy Story soldiers.

I dragged the lego trough (about 20-25 litres) out for the first time in ages, determined to start sorting it. About 1/4 through, I hit a crappy bit of inspiration (a brick got stuck in a barrel), so I built a little vignette inspired by Niagra falls - I call it "Barrel rides 50p. Safe? Of course it's safe." (Inspired by a "that Mitchell and Webb look" sketch).

(Apologies for the crap photo).

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Lego Star Wars 2011 sets:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/navy_trooper_fenson/4927293965/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/navy_trooper_fenson/4927287237/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/navy_trooper_fenson/4927885878/

Looks like we're getting a mandalorian battle pack and a bunch of new jedi and clones.

Oh and Jar Jar.

I'll try and get a 8x8 soon.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Kazy posted:

That was the best set. :colbert: I'm in the process of clearing out shelves and desks and sorting through my own Lego, I have a bunch of old train tracks, still. Are the tracks still the same size these days or did they change it when they went to RC motors?

Also I found a #4500 Snow Speeder, I'm not sure where the pilots went off to though. Hoping my Y-Wing comes soon, then I'll have to dig out my Star Destroyer and hope all the pieces are still there.

I have one, is the current RC-type track compatible from the one from around 10 years ago? (The one that you hooked the wires up to the track and controlled it that way.

If its the 9v track *has the metal topper* the yes they will connect to each other, you won't be able to run the 9v train motor on the rc track as it lacks the metal top rail but The rolling stock will still work fine.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 28, 2010

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

What was that green ship in the center from? Was it Aurra Sing's ship from the end of Clone Wars' second season? It doesn't matter, I like the way it looks. Too bad it'll be about $10 overpriced.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The kind that came with this set. Light gray tracks, dark gray ties.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

what parts do you use to make a huge ring like that?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

lDDQD posted:

what parts do you use to make a huge ring like that?

If I remember correctly, he used click-joints.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Veeb0rg posted:

Score! From the classic era too, I see some Space Police I in there. Post more pictures :)

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Dug out my bricks after 3 years and decided to make an 8x8.

It was an easy decision once I found the monkeys. I forgot how much fun this is.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Bought the Creators 3-in-1 Alligator / T-Rex / Piranha.

Lego have become seriously badass since I was a kid.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

May Contain Nuts posted:

Dug out my bricks after 3 years and decided to make an 8x8.

It was an easy decision once I found the monkeys. I forgot how much fun this is.

I love this. Genius.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

InfinEight posted:

If I remember correctly, he used click-joints.

would you be so kind as to post a picture of one? I'm a huge noob...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
I just picked up the new Airport, Item #: 3182
http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=3182&cn=339

The plane is just massive. All together it took me about 3 hours to patiently put this set together. Its a great kit with some neat parts to use later on. I'm still working on a p51 mustang, but I'm limited in some parts and will have to get creative in some areas.