Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defleshed posted:

The Direct Consolidation people keep losing poo poo, everything takes weeks, Access Group sold some of my loans to a third party who refuses to cooperate with anyone, anytime I try to call anyone I have to hop through 10 menus and then give the mouth breather who finally answers the phone my entire catalog of personal data before they will discuss anything with me...

It's just a clusterfuck. Start preparing during your grace period, and be ready to waste a ton of time on the phone and on various websites trying to move the process along, since it will literally sit still for months if you do not call at least bi-weekly. Direct hadn't received anything back from Access Group after sending a verification request in early June and waited until I called (after seeing no progress for 2.5 months) in Mid August and asked what the gently caress before they actually sent another one.

My consolidation process was relatively painless, maybe I was just lucky. The initial application was kind of a bitch because I had to track down old paperwork to figure out what all my account numbers were and I had to keep alt-tabbing to NSLDS to figure out what all my loans were but it wasn't too too much of a headache. After I did the application they just did everything on their own without my input, I never even had to make a phone call. It took them about 2 months but that's how long they said it would take in the first place so whatever. The lenders didn't ask any questions when I asked for a forbearance on account of the wait period. Except for the perkins loan, they wanted proof that I was broke, which was a shameful and annoying process

But do be aware of the 2 month waiting period, future consolidaters, the loan agencies WILL call you every day until the consolidation is finished, even under ideal circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/08/21/2049509/report-questions-contract-public.html

Not only si this poo poo depressing and basically ensures lovely representation for the poor, but worse, it will get rid of quite a few good jobs for lawyers.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nm posted:

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/08/21/2049509/report-questions-contract-public.html

Not only si this poo poo depressing and basically ensures lovely representation for the poor, but worse, it will get rid of quite a few good jobs for lawyers.

quote:

The county got rid of its own public defender in 1976 because he was appealing cases too often, Manfredi said.

lol :(

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).

Phil Moscowitz posted:

tell me about chinchillas

I was looking at old LSAT reading comp passages last night, and one of them was about chinchillas.

They're basically the best pets, as long as you can keep their climates controlled. And they look like loving Pokemon.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Ainsley McTree posted:

quote:

The county got rid of its own public defender in 1976 because he was appealing cases too often, Manfredi said.

you don't think too many cases get appealed? lol

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

chinchilla posted:

I was looking at old LSAT reading comp passages last night, and one of them was about chinchillas.

They're basically the best pets, as long as you can keep their climates controlled. And they look like loving Pokemon.

Except the part where they rot to death if you let them touch water (Its super effective!)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
so they're mogwais basically

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lykourgos posted:

quote:

you don't think too many cases get appealed? lol
Oh no, people exercising their rights!
Plus this is Madera County, word of the fourth amendment only got there in like 1992. They still don't know what to do with the thing.

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).

JudicialRestraints posted:

Except the part where they rot to death if you let them touch water (Its super effective!)

Nothing a blow dryer won't fix. They don't like it but it saves that precious, precious fur.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

nm posted:

Oh no, people exercising their rights!
Plus this is Madera County, word of the fourth amendment only got there in like 1992. They still don't know what to do with the thing.

Yes, who doesn't love a zerg rush of senseless reasonable doubt arguments, look lively lads! Defense attorneys have the right to pee their pants, doesn't mean they ought to do it. Not every day, repeatedly, at least.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lykourgos posted:

Yes, who doesn't love a zerg rush of senseless reasonable doubt arguments, look lively lads! Defense attorneys have the right to pee their pants, doesn't mean they ought to do it. Not every day, repeatedly, at least.

Hey if they weren't appealing so much, prosecutors wouldn't have as much work to do, leading to budget cutbacks and job shrinkage. You ought to toast the defenders every night before you climb into bed.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

entris posted:

Hey if they weren't appealing so much, prosecutors wouldn't have as much work to do, leading to budget cutbacks and job shrinkage. You ought to toast the defenders every night before you climb into bed.

I'm all for it in that sense, but that’s more a "lesser of two evils" than an ideal situation. Reasonable doubt issues are fine for brief writing experience, and they keep us busy, but really come on. Also, I wonder if it actually hurts the defence counsel more to make such arguments than it assists us. Their souls must be especially pained to have to constantly employ such feeble arguments, and then lose again and again.

Ideally, there wouldn't be budget cutbacks or job shrinkage regardless of how many cases there were to deal with. The office should be well supported no matter what; countries maintain a standing military even if they're not at war, and similarly they ought to have a standing force of high-class gentlemen. If we ran out of things to do in the office, well then we could simply go out and supervise the rest of society. There’s really no shortage of work to be done.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

oh, grumblefish

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lykourgos posted:

Would you rather the defense (you spelled that wrong, is your Anglophilia slipping?) attorney write the argument or get a pro se one?

If only prosecutors would stop making GBS threads the bed/record. They don't need to, not every trial, not repeatedly.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

joat mon posted:

Would you rather the defense (you spelled that wrong, is your Anglophilia slipping?) attorney write the argument or get a pro se one?

I've had both, given that post-conviction petitions seem to be mostly pro se because counsel is not provided by the state. If the defendant is guilty then obviously I want him to go pro se, unless it's just a sentencing issue or something. That's because I care for the defence attorney. Also don't worry about my spelling; my superiors are in a constant state of warfare with my briefs, and the letters s and c are frequent casualties.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

you know when we actually talk about the law this thread kinda sucks

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tetrix posted:

You can only talk about law for so long.

"Today I sat in an office with my boss and a client and we talked for 7 hours about the discovery responses we were going to do. I have to go back in again tomorrow. I'd rather spend the morning making GBS threads roofer's tar than go back to work," times a thousand would get boring.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Tetrix posted:

Rural Alaskan clerkship status update:

I am literally in charge of deciding who wins dibs on the Deepwater Horizon derivative lawsuit. Obviously Alaska has oodles of personal jurisdiction all over BP's a-hole, and many lawfirms are looking to flex their litigation penii. Given some random other poo poo that happened up here (I can't/won't go into specifics) there is a non-zero chance that the DWH litigation could end up in AK rather than LA, and it all hinges on me. Muahahahaha.

Separate note:

I am officially the nation's leading Homesteader Law expert. Oddly enough, there's a whole subset of this poo poo. International Law Pandas move over, you've got a Goldpanner lawyer to compete against. I am accepting all back-woods hicks and other prospectors as clients, starting Aug 2011.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 28, 2010

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

Tetrix posted:

i agree, let's have more chinchilla chat

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Kase Im Licht posted:

Cupcake market has either peaked or is peaking. The world always needs more tacos though.

"Great art is horseshit, buy tacos." - Charles Bukowski

On another note, while I've been starting up the taco stand I've been working for the Census (lol Census) as an office supervisor. It came to my attention today that no less than three of the clerks under me are licensed attorneys.

Clerks here start at $9.50/hour.

Drop out now.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

BigHead posted:

I am officially the nation's leading Homesteader Law expert. Oddly enough, there's a whole subset of this poo poo. International Law Pandas move over, you've got a Goldpanner lawyer to compete against. I am accepting all back-woods hicks and other prospectors as clients, starting Aug 2011.

Tell me more. I am this close to dropping out and staking a claim. How do I do it? Where?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Save me jeebus posted:

"Great art is horseshit, buy tacos." - Charles Bukowski

On another note, while I've been starting up the taco stand I've been working for the Census (lol Census) as an office supervisor. It came to my attention today that no less than three of the clerks under me are licensed attorneys.

Clerks here start at $9.50/hour.

Drop out now.

Lawyersaurus rex

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

This thread was on the second page, you ruined it.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Incredulous Red posted:

Lawyersaurus rex

I am a lawyer. Color my sombrero important.

Thoras Hammer
Oct 15, 2009
At a party I brought a 1L going through orientation to tears telling her about how awful law school is and how drat difficult it is to find a job. I guess I am really effective at the "no jobs don't go die alone" speech.

The Engibeard
Jan 1, 2010
WE KNOW YOU TOOK THOSE CHICKEN THIGHS. WE'RE WATCHING YOU.
So an engineering undergrad thinking about going into patent/ intellectual property law is bad?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The Engibeard posted:

So an engineering undergrad thinking about going into patent/ intellectual property law is bad?
An engineering (or hard science) background is required for patent practice, but won't confer any sort of advantage with regard to practicing other branches of intellectual property law. If you're serious about patent law you should think about studying for and taking this exam. If that sounds difficult or tedious then patent law is probably not for you (there's no shame in that). You should also know long before you make any kind of commitment to law school that IP practitioners were hit just as hard as everyone else by the recession, and that things are going to be shaky for the foreseeable future.

A far better plan than going straight from undergrad to law school would be working at the patent office as an examiner. They've started hiring electrical and computer engineering majors again, and the rumor is that they'll start hiring more broadly in the near future. The job pays well, is relatively easy, and would increase your chances of landing a position at a firm if you do eventually decide to practice law.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 30, 2010

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Ersatz posted:

A far better plan than going straight from undergrad to law school would be working at the patent office as an examiner. They've started hiring electrical and computer engineering majors again, and the rumor is that they'll start hiring more broadly in the near future. The job pays well, is relatively easy, and would increase your chances of landing a position at a firm if you do eventually decide to practice law.

This is anecdotal but I was told by an IP partner at a large firm (near the top of the Amlaw 100) that working as an examiner isn't the way to get into a large firm, if that's your goal. He told me that it "wouldn't be a good career move." That said, it was a single lawyer at a single firm. YMMV.

The Engibeard
Jan 1, 2010
WE KNOW YOU TOOK THOSE CHICKEN THIGHS. WE'RE WATCHING YOU.
Whats actually good is that I am starting an engineering co-op next month at a world-wide medical device company. The department I will be in is Regulatory Affairs so I hope it will deal somewhat with the patenting process.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

7StoryFall posted:

This is anecdotal but I was told by an IP partner at a large firm (near the top of the Amlaw 100) that working as an examiner isn't the way to get into a large firm, if that's your goal. He told me that it "wouldn't be a good career move." That said, it was a single lawyer at a single firm. YMMV.
It probably varies by firm, but it's a fair point. A few mid-level associates I know worked as examiners following law school and eventually transitioned from that into private practice, but it's definitely not the way to go if you're interested in big law and have other options.

For purposes of a summer program at an IP firm though it makes a lot more sense to bring in a summer who went from undergrad to the PTO to law school rather than straight from undergrad to law school: they'll come in with practical knowledge of patent practice and they're more likely to be telling the truth when they say they're interested in the work.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Engibeard posted:

I know someone very well. Let's call him Ted. Ted went to an Ivy League school for undergrad, and graduated with some random Science degree. Ted graduated third in his class. Not third percentile, third. With this degree and this honor, Ted went to graduate school and got his PhD. Ted got his PhD in an very very relevant and very very useful field. Ted decided he hated his work, and chose to pursue patent law. So he enrolled in a very very good law school.

Ted couldn't afford law school, so he applied for several scholarships. Of these scholarships, all were extremely competitive. Why? Because so few people qualified, and law school is a loving ATM for universities, so they don't like giving out scholarships to idiots dumb enough to attend.

But Ted got a good scholarship and went to this highest of high law schools.

Now Ted is in law school, with his PhD, graduating third in his undergraduate class, and he's looking for a job. Turns out, because law school loving sucks, that there are exactly ONE job that Ted is qualified for. One patent law job with a private firm advertised at Ted's highest of the high law schools.

There were three people with PhDs in Ted's class, all three applied.

Now, tell me, if you think your "undergraduate engineering degree" can survive an application process against magna and suma cum laudes with PhDs, then by all means go for it.

If, on the other hand, your dumb rear end decides to attend Rutgers, then I am offering to sell you six gallons of whiskey, one gun, and one bullet. Better to get all the good times, and your eventual fate, over with before you incur the debt.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

BigHead posted:

Ted.
I'd share similar cautionary tales, but it's not really necessary. Suffice to say that Ted's experience is depressingly typical.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

gently caress law school
That said, all the people with hard science degrees I know are doing better than those that don't.
Law school is a horrible idea. It is slightly less horrible if you have a hard science degree and can deal with boring rear end poo poo (patent prosecution).
Don't go to law school.

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

Ersatz posted:

I'd share similar cautionary tales, but it's not really necessary. Suffice to say that Ted's experience is depressingly typical.

Ted is correct in that OCI sucks for most everyone right now.

Ted might not be correct about a bachelors in engineering being out of luck for patent law. My understanding is that they can get away with avoiding grad school. Are things so bad that even engineers need grad school? I have no personal stake in the matter; I'm someone who took the "science PhD" route to patent law too.

nm posted:

That said, all the people with hard science degrees I know are doing better than those that don't.
Law school is a horrible idea. It is slightly less horrible if you have a hard science degree and can deal with boring rear end poo poo (patent prosecution).
Don't go to law school.

A ray of optimism in a thread of despair.

Leon Kowalski fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 30, 2010

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Leon Kowalski posted:

Ted is correct in that OCI sucks for most everyone right now.

Ted might not be correct about a bachelors in engineering being out of luck for patent law. My understanding is that they can get away with avoiding grad school. Are things so bad that even engineers need grad school? I have no personal stake in the matter; I'm someone who took the "science PhD" route to patent law too.
I landed a position as a patent prosecutor with bachelor's degrees and a JD, but most of my classmates weren't so lucky. In the predictable arts (electrical, mechanical, CS, and so on for the uninitiated) grad school doesn't seem to make much difference. For bio or chem it's extremely important.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 30, 2010

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Leon Kowalski posted:

At my school (around the middle of the top 50) with a bachelor's in engineering, in the upper portion of my class, I have gotten a large number of interviews--of which three are from IP boutiques. I'm not sure if they're largely courtesy interviews or what, but they are interviewing, at least here in the Northeast.

Yeah, don't go to law school UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE A LAWYER AND YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT A LAWYERS DO.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

7StoryFall posted:

Yeah, don't go to law school UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE A LAWYER AND YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT A LAWYERS DO.

Even then don't go. There are no jobs regardless of how much you like doing it.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I'm in several classes with the people that got picked to be on the Law Review E-Board over me and they're all dumb as poo poo.

I don't really have a point here...don't go to law school.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
As part of a class I'm taking, I have to keep a course blog. The entries posted so far are as abysmal as you'd think they'd be.

My entry for this week is entitled, "Don't go, no jobs, die alone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

The Engibeard posted:

Have you been paying attention?

Don't go to law school you numbskull.

That's it.

Fin.

The End.