Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Fofalooza posted:

How well off would I be going with a sumo and aggressive dual sport tires for an extended and not very technical off road riding trip? What are the big differences between a supermoto and a dedicated dual sport, like a KLR? You guys seem to really know your poo poo so who better to ask :) I've always wanted a supermoto as a dick around bike and after this trip, I'd probably get another set of rims with real road tires or knobbies to keep my options up. Any bike recommendations?

You can ride off-road on any bike you want.

Will there be mud involved? You'll be fine on an SM with dual sport tires (distanzias give enough traction to wheelie on gravel road), until you get to mud. Then it gets hairy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fir7Lt2lwow#t=5m40s

More supermoto mud action!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N7gkgOP0IQ

Zool fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Zool posted:

quote != Edit

Hey look, someone racing a 690SMC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPbSiUfS9k&feature=watch_response#t=0m36s

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fofalooza posted:

How well off would I be going with a sumo and aggressive dual sport tires for an extended and not very technical off road riding trip? What are the big differences between a supermoto and a dedicated dual sport, like a KLR? You guys seem to really know your poo poo so who better to ask :) I've always wanted a supermoto as a dick around bike and after this trip, I'd probably get another set of rims with real road tires or knobbies to keep my options up. Any bike recommendations?

Here's my 2c as road rider who moved to dirt. I'm slow as balls with either the 21/18 that comes stock with the DRZ or the 17/17 SM setup. Doesn't make a rat's rear end of difference for my slow rear end. I'm sure when I get better it'll be a bigger deal but for now it's just whatever, I suck and it doesn't matter. If it's mainly stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTUt0Jjq7oU
then there's no need for dedicated dirt tires and you'll have way more fun on the asphalt with street tires.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Ok since we're on the topic of tires, what's a good choice for a more street/track oriented tire? I talked to the seller last night, this thing still has the OEM tires on it so I'll probably want to get those swapped out sooner rather than later. I take it they're 120/70R17 and 160/60R17?

Also, I started pulling aftermarket poo poo off the CBR last night and was already having pangs of regret. :arghfist::(

Edit - Found out that the bike has been de-restricted but still has the stock pipes. Not sure on the jetting.

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 26, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Contiforce SM, superb grip on the track, and they do well in the wet too. I just got a new set for my SMC

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Gonna go with my standard of Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa DOT races.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

Contiforce SM, superb grip on the track, and they do well in the wet too. I just got a new set for my SMC

These. Awesome track tires, fantastic on the street, they grip even when they are in 6 inches of water. I've run them in 100 degree heat and 30 degree cold. Never had a complaint, also they slide very predictably (this is important when you start backing-it-in and powersliding for fun)

Z3n posted:

Gonna go with my standard of Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa DOT races.

Good tires, but go with the Connies

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

These. Awesome track tires, fantastic on the street, they grip even when they are in 6 inches of water. I've run them in 100 degree heat and 30 degree cold. Never had a complaint, also they slide very predictably (this is important when you start backing-it-in and powersliding for fun)

Good tires, but go with the Connies

Psh you've only ever had the poser dragon supercorsas. The diablos are better.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Psh you've only ever had the poser dragon supercorsas. The diablos are better.

Psh you've only ever had a DRZ. The diablos's are great if you are looking for a good weather only/track day tire. Some people like to get their supermotos a little muddy, aren't afraid of riding in the rain and ride even in a real winter Z3n, and for those people who do that and still want a tire that in my experience will never give out on you at the track no matter how ham fisted and stupid you are, the Connies are bloody amazing.

Being that they are specifically designed for supermoto, they always come up to temperature, and that makes all the difference sometimes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I ride all winter, bitch. Not my fault you live in a place where it rains.

Although with that in mind, it's probably better than he buys the contis, given that he lives in a place where the weather just has rapid swings from poo poo to rear end.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I ride all winter, bitch. Not my fault you live in a place where it rains.

Although with that in mind, it's probably better than he buys the contis, given that he lives in a place where the weather just has rapid swings from poo poo to rear end.

I wouldn't run DOT race tires on the street like you since we actually do have weather in the middle of the country... Actually this week we've had the best weather I've seen all year. Only rained one day, low (for us) humidity, and highs in the mid-70s :woop:. It's going to get warm again this weekend but the humidity is going to stay down.

Basically I'm waffling between something like the new Dunlop Q2 or good old pilot powres and the contiforce. Realistically what the bike is going to see is mostly decent pavement, gravel roads, some EXTREMELY hardpacked dirt (Bussey OHV area) and the track. I frequently rode my CBR on gravel roads with a variety of sportier tires and it never bothered me. With that in mind would the contis still be a good choice?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

I wouldn't run DOT race tires on the street like you since we actually do have weather in the middle of the country... Actually this week we've had the best weather I've seen all year. Only rained one day, low (for us) humidity, and highs in the mid-70s :woop:. It's going to get warm again this weekend but the humidity is going to stay down.

Basically I'm waffling between something like the new Dunlop Q2 or good old pilot powres and the contiforce. Realistically what the bike is going to see is mostly decent pavement, gravel roads, some EXTREMELY hardpacked dirt (Bussey OHV area) and the track. I frequently rode my CBR on gravel roads with a variety of sportier tires and it never bothered me. With that in mind would the contis still be a good choice?

I'm not sure how many more ways I can say it: Yes. I've been trying to explain they are a bulletproof all around tire that kicks rear end at everything. I had a set for 4,000 miles and I abused the absolute poo poo out of them. A dozen days at the track, mud (dicey! but its a street tire...), gravel, dirt, hundreds of feet long puddles still rippin wheelies, snow on the ground, hailing, raining, wind, 100 degree heat, for fucks sake yes the tires will do whatever ham brained situation you want to think of. If pilot powers were better i'd say get them, but gently caress pilot powers on supermotos. You are buying a SM tire for an SM bike, get the connies and love them forever. If you wanted a more track specific or warm weather tire I'd suggest something else, but if you want a tire to do everything just buy the drat things already.

Fake edit: gently caress

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Man now I know it must have felt when I started posting here.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

I'm not sure how many more ways I can say it: Yes. I've been trying to explain they are a bulletproof all around tire that kicks rear end at everything. I had a set for 4,000 miles and I abused the absolute poo poo out of them. A dozen days at the track, mud, gravel, dirt, hundreds of feet long puddles still rippin wheelies, show on the ground, hailing, raining, wind, 100 degree heat, for fucks sake yes the tires will do whatever ham brained situation you want to think of. If pilot powers were better i'd say get them, but gently caress pilot powers on supermotos. You are buying a SM tire for an SM bike, get the connies and love them forever. If you wanted a more track specific or warm weather tire I'd suggest something else, but if you want a tire to do everything just buy the drat things already.

Fake edit: gently caress

so Tourances it is! I'll get them ordered, thanks!

...:v:

I don't even have the bike yet calm down

I honestly don't know what situation the bike will see more, hence the questions on tire choice -- kinda lovely offroad stuff or track. Well, general commuting more than anything else. I'm just tired of swapping tires every time I go to a trackday, which is pretty frequently. As such I'm looking for a compromise. The season is winding down though, I'll do at least two, if not three or four before the fun stops for the year.

I'll give the contiforces a try, you bastard :argh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You ride a sumo, there is no end to the track season.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Woo! Rage!

Every time a street sumo mounts a set of Connies an angel wheelies in heaven.

Z3n is also right, the track season never ends for SMs, a open parking lot is just a few cones away from a racecourse...

I get what your asking, and that's why I'm shoving the connies down your throat. The rage is fake, but the suggestion is earnest.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/1919636486.html

Can I get someones opinion on this? I was gonna take a look at it soon. There's not many up on craigslist but they seem to be around this price.

I'm also looking at one that is 2006 and mostly stock but some of the stuff done to this one is stuff I would like to do anyway so I'm thinking it would be better to get this one if it's good to go. Especially since he's not asking much more than the guy with the 06.

Edit: I'm not crazy about how yellow it is either. A little yellow is ok but this is a bit much.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 27, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Looks like a really good example of a DRZ.

I just noticed...

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
You ruined it for me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AngryGuy posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/1919636486.html

Can I get someones opinion on this? I was gonna take a look at it soon. There's not many up on craigslist but they seem to be around this price.

I'm also looking at one that is 2006 and mostly stock but some of the stuff done to this one is stuff I would like to do anyway so I'm thinking it would be better to get this one if it's good to go. Especially since he's not asking much more than the guy with the 06.

Edit: I'm not crazy about how yellow it is either. A little yellow is ok but this is a bit much.

That seems too high but that's just me. DRZ400SM prices are still pretty inflated.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Would I be okay with a 2003 Honda CRF450R supermoto for commuting, occasional trackdays, and general buffoonery? Maintenance schedule and reliability for this bike?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Would I be okay with a 2003 Honda CRF450R supermoto for commuting, occasional trackdays, and general buffoonery? Maintenance schedule and reliability for this bike?

That's not a bike that any part of was designed for the street, that engine has short service intervals. So, commuting, no, hooliganism and track? gently caress yes!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Ah, too bad. I'm really looking for something that is both reliable and fun. Maybe I'll continue looking at the Husky 610 and KTM 690.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've seen a well-prepped and ridden CRF450R pretty much keep pace with 600s down the straight at Oran Park. Not a daily ride.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I need to learn to do more research before I freak out about buying something :saddowns:

I was erroneously under the impression the 625 had a 6spd trans. It's not like the 5spd is a total deal killer but how unhappy is the bike going to be plodding along at highway speeds without that 6th cog? I completely realize it's not a bike designed for cruising around forever, but that just comes with the area I live in. Interstates are boring but so are the vast majority of country roads till you get a couple hours away. The whole sumo thing will open up a lot more area to ride but it's just a fact of life that it'll be on the highway at some point.

How are the gear ratios on it? All pretty tight? What's 6th like on the 690?

Any other glaring differences between the 625 and 690 other than 5 v. 6 speed trans, a bit more power and a bit less weight for the 690, carb v. FI. What else am I missing?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Looks like a really good example of a DRZ.

I just noticed...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

How are the gear ratios on it? All pretty tight? What's 6th like on the 690?

Any other glaring differences between the 625 and 690 other than 5 v. 6 speed trans, a bit more power and a bit less weight for the 690, carb v. FI. What else am I missing?

Ah yes, it is a 5 speed. I often forget that. To be honest, I can't really speak too much of what the cruising speed on a 625 is. I'd recommend checking out SMJ or google and see what you can find on it.

The 690 engine is a great revolution of KTM engines. There is more power (everywhere), more reliable, more torque, smoother with the counter-balancing shaft, etc.

The bikes, suspension is better on the 690's, brakes are better, the chassis? I'm not sure, I've never ridden a 625. I'll have to defer to someone else's opinion on that. I know people love them, videos I've seen they look awesome, but I can't cross compare the two.

Cruising on a 690 SMC: Comfortable RPM is anywhere up to about 80 MPH. It'll happily cruise for hours at 85 if your rear end can take it. Feel free to IM me if you wanna talk nitty gritty about any of this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

My friend has one, he's never complained about freeway cruising on it. It doesn't have the stupid loving close ratio bullshit gearbox that the DRZ has, and the DRZ is livable on the freeway with the correct gearing.

Again...go ride it. That'll answer all your questions as to if you want it or not.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
How in the hell have those sliders not rattled off yet? mine were gone in weeks.

06 is post the 'lol-orange-gearbox' period right?

Dubs fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 27, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What the hell's the difference between a 690 Supermoto and a 690smc other than an ugly exhaust on the former?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The 690SM is a few pounds heavier, has softer suspension, the swing arm is more difficult to clean, and the fuel fill is at the front.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Dubs posted:

How in the hell have those sliders not rattled off yet? mine were gone in weeks.

06 is post the 'lol-orange-gearbox' period right?

DRZ's had orange gear boxes?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
KTM's have orange gearboxes.

They used to break alot or something, in the early 00's

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Endless Mike posted:

What the hell's the difference between a 690 Supermoto and a 690smc other than an ugly exhaust on the former?

Ask spiff on here or aim. He has a 690 smc

I have a 690 sm but wish I had a 690 smc. But he differences are very minor as said. The SMC is by a huge margin more expensive. Like, from what i've seen about $1,000-2,000 more minimum. The goofy beaker/exhaust 690 sm didn't sell to well. I love my bike but I think it's pretty ugly. I wish the exhaust wasn't exposed. It has some real expensive Leo Vince exhaust so if it drops hard it's hosed. The 690 smc looks so much better and more like a smc/dirt bike IMO.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 28, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well I did it. I'm officially 'tarded. :q:

It was pretty much what I expected. Very clean, not many miles, ran fine. Took it for a brief test ride and was impressed at its nimbleness... lots of vibration though. Then I experienced something I'll get used to very quickly -- the fucker died for no apparent reason. OUT OF GAS! Flipped it to reserve and headed back to finalize everything, then took it home :D

I went for another ride after I got it unloaded and was pretty impressed. I don't think it's been rejetted -- it popped on deceleration every once in awhile but not bad. It doesn't seem obscenely powerful or twitchy like you assholes would have me believe. It's really odd to have to shift a bunch of times to hit 60! There's definitely a good deal of vibrations, but luckily it seems to smooth out the faster you're going. 65mph was comfortable for the bike and me, not getting a bunch of vibration through pegs and bars at that speed. Didn't really take it much faster than that.

Also, wheelies.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Haha, you are about to become the biggest rear end in a top hat rider you know and you'll love every second of it.

Welcome to the best club

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

drat that bike makes me hate my beaker 07 black SM. Looks freaking sweet. It's ok though my bike is a unique snow flake :v:

Also, yeah. Prepare to be an obnoxious rider. Not quite a squid because you're not doing 120 with a tank top through a school zone. You're just lane splitting for the sole reason of it being fun. I love that you don't need speed to have fun on a SM. I ride like a bastard on mine. And I have a poo poo eating smug 12 year old grin the whole time.

What'd you pay/mileage/model/year etc?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the 690SM the one with the Dakar-style pipes?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Christoff posted:

What'd you pay/mileage/model/year etc?

4k/3100/625SMC/2006/:v:

I hear you about the rear end in a top hat thing... On my little ride this afternoon after getting it home I had some chick turn left in front of me... HOW, I do not know. I watch people's faces if I can see them, generally that gives you an idea if they saw you or not. This bitch looked right at me then turned in front of me. HOW THE gently caress do you look directly at a GIANT ORANGE DIRTBIKE thing with someone in a bright jacket (with reflective strips) and an orange/yellow helmet and not make the connection that something is actually there. seriously.

rear end in a top hat part of the story. She turned down a cul du sac so I waited for her to turn into a driveway. She did, I whipped the bike around, let loose a single finger salute and promptly wheelied out of dodge. RETRIBUTION. Ok maybe it wasn't the right thing to do but at least it made me feel better :shobon:

Anyway, content.

What's the best way to clean those goddamn air filters? For the dirtbike I just work some kerosene through it to break the oil and poo poo out of the filter, but it takes forever. Are those cleaner sprays worth it?

Also, tire sizes. The OEM rear tire (which is still on the bike...) is currently a 160/60. It _barely_ clears the chain. Would it be better to stick with the 160 rear or drop down to a 150?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
The SM is the Spy vs Spy bike

• Locked thread