Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Everyone in the galaxy knows that Luke and Leia are siblings and that Vader was their father.

To expand on this, Luke and Leia seem to have been pretty open about being siblings, once they found out. Since these people are like the Charles Lindberg and Princess Di of their galaxy, it stands to reason it would quickly become common knowledge.

Not surprisingly, being the offspring of Space Himmler is something they wouldn't broadcast so eagerly. During I, Jedi or the KJA trilogy, Luke shocks his students by owning up to his Sith baby daddy. But in the Black Fleet Crisis, some kick-rear end alien Senator is all "Hold on, we've got Darth Vader's daughter running the government and his son running an organized religion with lightsabers :wtc:?" So within a span of like 10-15 years of the OT the truth comes out.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
OMG EVERY FANBOY'S DREAM

(More information about this lucky boy can be found here.)

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ :wtc: It cannot be said enough; :wtc:?

In twenty years of raising Galen Marek I don't think he showed that much affection, so what does that boy do to get that treatment? Does he poo poo Star Destroyers?

gently caress it, if anyone wants me I'll be in the Old Republic Era. Its mildly less retarded.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alright, so I know the dumb explanation for why Jedi don't just force aneurysm their opponents, but why can't they do that to droids? When fighting MagnaGuards for instance, why not just pop a couple gears in their limbs or something? They make it seem relatively difficult to fight them in the movies and the cartoon, and there is no explanation for why Jedi don't immediately cripple droids and tear them apart. I need answers!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

elestupendojudio posted:

Alright, so I know the dumb explanation for why Jedi don't just force aneurysm their opponents, but why can't they do that to droids? When fighting MagnaGuards for instance, why not just pop a couple gears in their limbs or something? They make it seem relatively difficult to fight them in the movies and the cartoon, and there is no explanation for why Jedi don't immediately cripple droids and tear them apart. I need answers!

That is a power in KoTOR.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Say what you will, but as a 21 year old man(child) I'd love to play with Darth Vader. We could play D&D, we could play Battlefront (With Darth playing Empire and me playing Rebel), we could duel with plastic lightsabers...the possibilities are endless.

You know Darth Vader did charity work. I'm waiting for the EU novel that shows him in a children's hospital, signing autographs and telling Little Timmy how brave he has, struggling with space cancer and all.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Locutus Of Bored posted:

You know Darth Vader did charity work. I'm waiting for the EU novel that shows him in a children's hospital, signing autographs and telling Little Timmy how brave he has, struggling with space cancer and all.

:geno: "Timmy, did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? He was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."

:v: "Does that mean you can help me?"

:geno: "Well to be honest things didn't work out so well last time."

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Bene Elim posted:

In twenty years of raising Galen Marek

If I had to deal with the special needs version of a sith I would be pissed all the time too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Haven't really read any EU books since the old old stuff from the mid 90's. I started listening to the audiobooks for fate of the jedi this week, and I really like it. I'm probably halfway through book one, the GA guard or whatever they're called just walked off with valin hornand I was wondering what others think about the series so far. I've kind of skimmed wiki articles of the giant series' leading up to this one, mostly for the vong series and the one covering the second galactic civil war. Regardless the book does a good job of doing that with brief sentences acting as refreshers for those who haven't read all the previous writings.

I love that they still show characters from books I read as a child, like cilghal or however you spell her name, and kyp durron. Also I'm glad kyle katarn is shown as well.

Anyway, just wanted to see what others thought about the series, and if it was looking to shake things up in the universe or not. I guess I'm just waiting to see how many more adventures these characters can go on, I mean luke is what? 60?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I haven't read them cause I lost faith in the EU after Legacy of the Force but from everything I have read it seems as terrible as that. More power to you for enjoying it but I doubt it could shake the mess of the EU up anymore.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's still taking getting used to is how old everyone is. It isn't terrible yet, but I can definitely see it head that way if things continue going the way they are.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Read the Allston books, look up the others on Wookieepedia. It's better than LOTF, but only because Traviss's Mando fanfic isn't making GBS threads all over everything else.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Speaking of LotF, I found a paperback copy of Betrayal behind my bookcase this morning, but I have no memory of buying it. In addition to the first novel in the LotF series, it also contains two short stories by Karen Traviss about Darth Vader. I'm way too afraid to read them.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Locutus Of Bored posted:

Speaking of LotF, I found a paperback copy of Betrayal behind my bookcase this morning, but I have no memory of buying it. In addition to the first novel in the LotF series, it also contains two short stories by Karen Traviss about Darth Vader. I'm way too afraid to read them.

"The natives seemed restless. Vader knew that their reaction wasn't due to his presence - Mandalorians were present.

Vader shuddered."

"Vader entered his meditation chamber, shaken. The Emperor's reprimands seemed gentle compared to his recent fight with Boba Fett."

"Vader watched their war dance. Deep within his heart, though he would not admit it to any person, Vader felt a panging jealousy. Never had he seen such brotherhood."

There you go. You probably just read something pretty close.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Actually,I quite enjoyed those stories. It generated more sympathy for Anakin than the entire PT did. Also, it showed that even though Darth Vader was a total loving badass, he also cared about the people under his command. (When he wasn't strangling them)

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Dalaram posted:

Actually,I quite enjoyed those stories. It generated more sympathy for Anakin than the entire PT did. Also, it showed that even though Darth Vader was a total loving badass, he also cared about the people under his command. (When he wasn't strangling them)

Well, of course she would portray Vader in a sympathetic light. He killed Jedi.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Kingtheninja posted:

What's still taking getting used to is how old everyone is. It isn't terrible yet, but I can definitely see it head that way if things continue going the way they are.

In my experience listening to the audio books tends to paint the novel in a better light than just reading it cold. FOTJ isn't ridiculously sucky but it certainly isn't good. It's just meh, the colour grey, two and a half stars etc.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

elestupendojudio posted:

What is the reason they don't force aneurysm people? I'm fairly sure I recall reading that some of those dark side witches doing exactly that to Luke in whatever book it is that has witches riding rancors.

edit: gently caress the EU is retarded.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

elestupendojudio posted:

In the KotOR games there is a power called 'destroy droid' which is pretty much just force lightning-ing a droid's power cell until it explodes. It can hit multiple droids, does incredible damage and stuns whatever it hits.

So naturally, at some point some dumbass Jedi says; :downs: "Durr, it's too much like lightning, its a power of the dark side! NO JEDI SHALL KNOW IT!" and in one fell swoop made the entirety of the clone wars happen. loving retard...

Just as a cover; I loving hate Traviss. The quotes posted above actually made me want to kill her. I do hate it when Jedi forget everything useful that they ever learned in the name of the 'light side', but in doing so get half of the Galaxy murdered.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

uPen posted:

What is the reason they don't force aneurysm people? I'm fairly sure I recall reading that some of those dark side witches doing exactly that to Luke in whatever book it is that has witches riding rancors.

Don't get me started on that. I've always thought it's stupid that a force user can't just use the force to pinch a blood vessel and insta-kill some one. Even a light Jedi, if he has to fight someone, whether he kills them with a saber or a force-aneurysm, the end result is the same.

Also for fighting droids, I never though about that but it should be easy for a couple Jedi to wipe them out, even the rollie-shield ones and the the super tough ones. One can block while the other just tweaks their robo nipples until they breakdown.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

uPen posted:

It's too impersonal, or something, whereas carving someone up with a lightsaber...well, you have to get up in his face and everything to do that. Usually. That makes it ~personal~ which is important, I guess.

You can probably safely assume that you rarely see dark-siders never bother is that most or all other jedi/force users are trained to reflexively counter such trivial force-based attacks, so its not even worth trying unless you totally catch them off guard. And its more fun to carve up the normal people.

Or something. :iiam:

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

elestupendojudio posted:

Obi wan does that in the RotS Novel. He uses the force on Grevious gears so they can get his and Anakin's lightsabers back.

Has the 'TK421, why aren't you at your post?' guy got a back story?

EDIT : No, not really. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pol_Treidum

Muppetjedi fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 28, 2010

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Muppetjedi posted:

Obi wan does that in the RotS Novel.

Oh, so it is established they can do it in the Clone Wars era. They just never think to in combat? What a terrible plot hole.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Don't get me started on that. I've always thought it's stupid that a force user can't just use the force to pinch a blood vessel and insta-kill some one. Even a light Jedi, if he has to fight someone, whether he kills them with a saber or a force-aneurysm, the end result is the same.
Does the fact that it would be really stupid narratively and sap the drama from light saber duels figure into it at all?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

Does the fact that it would be really stupid narratively and sap the drama from light saber duels figure into it at all?

You clearly don't belong in this sperg thread.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So did the same people who examined all the scales for ship size in the movies ever calculate how much or how little square footage there was on those ships per person? A Star Destroyer seems like it would have way more population density than the Death Star, but maybe a bunch of space on the Death Star is just for the power core and huge chasms.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

NorgLyle posted:

[insert snarky comment about the prequels not having any drama to sap]

Though if you think about the originals, there aren't really any fights where they're trying to kill each other. Maybe Vader vs. Obi Wan in the first one, but with Vader vs. Luke #1 Vader's trying to win Luke over, and Vader vs. Luke #2 is Luke doing the same with Vader. They're never flat-out trying to kill the other guy.

Wait, am I forgetting something or are there really only three lightsaber duels in the entire original trilogy? No wonder there's no drama behind the prequel fights, there's like 50 zillion of them.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Williams-Sonoma catalog came today. I saw these and knew that I had to tell the Internet about them AT ONCE:

quote:

Star Wars™ Pancake Molds
$19.95

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a Jedi Kitchen Master created an epic breakfast to unleash the power of his Jedi Padawan. Using the Force™, he created three nonstick steel pancake molds in honor of his favorite galactic heroes and villains: Yoda™, Darth Vader™ and a stormtrooper™. Our Star Wars molds couldn’t be easier to use. Just place them with their handles up on a preheated griddle then pour in your batter. After the first side has set, remove the molds and flip the pancakes. Serve a stack drenched in your favorite syrup – and let the adventures begin. Hand-wash. 4 1/2" to 7 3/4” wide. Fold-down handles. Set of three.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/star-wars-pancake-mold/

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I wonder what they'll do with Anakin's padawan at the end of the Clone War's animated series? Murdered by clones? Killed by Vader?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Karandras posted:

I wonder what they'll do with Anakin's padawan at the end of the Clone War's animated series? Murdered by clones? Killed by Vader?

She'll go into hiding and they'll release a series of novels, comics, and/or video games explaining all the evil Sith she fought from then on.

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.

Karandras posted:

My money is on her leaving the Jedi Order.

At celebration Dave Filoni was talking about how people asking him what happens to Ahsoka constantly and that he wasn't going to tell obviously...

Then during a Q&A some kid who thought he was pretty smart stood up and said:
"A few months ago you said that Ahsoka is learning a lot from Anakin and her behavior is influenced by him and she looks up to him and stuff... so if Anakin is a bad guy when all is said and done... what does that mean for Ahsoka?"

and Filoni thought for a minute and said (paraphrasing) "Ok so let me start here, Anakin isn't a "Bad guy" necessarily, He's been led to believe that the Republic is being attacked by the Jedi and that his allegiances need to switch to protect the greater good... so just because he ultimately chooses the dark side, he doesn't "become evil" all at once."

So In my opinion, I think he's dancing around the fact that Ahsoka is going to learn from Anakin and choose something that stops her being a Jedi anymore... Anakin thought he was going against the Jedi to protect the republic and save padme' so maybe Ahsoka will leave the Jedi to protect something she cares about. She's shown that willingness to go against her orders pretty consistently in the show when it means saving lives or doing what she thinks needs to be done to win a fight.

And honestly I don't think Filoni has the heart to kill off Ahsoka in any way when so many kids love her.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Every time I see Filoni talk I always think I can see the contempt he has for George.

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.
Nah, he's too big a fanboy to really have any ill feelings towards George. He definitely told some stories about how he would get a story note from George and try to argue continuity with him and eventually just get playfully stared down until he accepted the note and made it work.

His example of that was the ship with the cloaking device in season 2 of the clone wars. According to George his note was "Anakin is on a ship with a cloaking device, here is the kind of ship it is.. " And he told George... "Shouldn't the ship be bigger? I mean ' no ship that small has a cloaking device'... right George?..."

and then he backed down but he added in a line of dialogue to the episode "No ship this small usually has a cloaking device." to justify it to himself.

Which I think is a good thing, because Filoni helps keep everything as in-line as he possibly can even when he gets a crazy note from George that doesn't make sense, it's really important to Filoni that it is made to make sense while still making George happy.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

^^ I'm getting the impression that Filoni and the other bigwigs at Lucasarts are getting to the point where they're care-takers/babysitters to an increasingly childish Lucas.

I can just picture George as a five year old kid with crayons and juice sat at some kintergarden table making lightsaber noises, while Filoni stands behind him explaining that mountains don't have polkadots. It makes sense given some of the poo poo I'm hearing about.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Back to the whole force aneurysm discussion, would you really want the jedi to be even more powerful?

"Oh hey a bunch of battledroids what are we going to do?"
"Don't worry I can just make them all overload with my mind and there won't be any tension or danger at all."

The Jedi are already way too overpowered and them being able to instakill the already useless enemies would just make the movies even more boring than they already are.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Pops Mgee posted:

Back to the whole force aneurysm discussion, would you really want the jedi to be even more powerful?

"Oh hey a bunch of battledroids what are we going to do?"
"Don't worry I can just make them all overload with my mind and there won't be any tension or danger at all."

The Jedi are already way too overpowered and them being able to instakill the already useless enemies would just make the movies even more boring than they already are.

Maybe Lucas should've come up with better enemies and actual tension instead

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

arioch posted:

Maybe Lucas should've come up with better enemies and actual tension instead

Seriously. Battledroids for three movies :negative:

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

^^ Not just battle droids. Battle droids with personalities borrowed from the chuckle brothers and three stooges, then beaten with the retard stick. I can't take any droid in the PT seriously. Especially not C-3PO and R2-D2.

I suppose the battle droids were alright in TPM. They at least seemed like what they were supposed to be; a cold emotionless horde. Ok, so they were poo poo, and the 'holy crap' moment when they were deployed was spoiled by the setting, but at least they seemed vaguely capable. What was done to them after was just not right.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Worst part of the battle droids was that loving gag of C-3po attached to a battle droid.

"Die Jedi Guys!"

Who thought that was a good idea? 3po was always funny cause he was so funny and prissy not because he in wacky! Situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Throb Robinson posted:

Worst part of the battle droids was that loving gag of C-3po attached to a battle droid.

"Die Jedi Guys!"

Who thought that was a good idea? 3po was always funny cause he was so funny and prissy not because he in wacky! Situations

:eng101: It's actually "Die Jedi dogs!"

And that makes it all better. :eng99: