Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

OxMan posted:

Any tips for Star Ocean: The First Departure?

I get the gameplay...kind of. It seems with the whole L/R setup that I can switch characters mid-fight, but I haven't found the button to do this yet. (no manual, friend is indefinitely loaning me the UMD only). The hardest question I have is...well, I have NO idea what's going on with Specials and Techniques and Talents and those SP points I'm too afraid to spend. What's...well, all of it about?

(Just warning you that I'm basing this info off of my Star Ocean: Second Story/Evolution knowledge, but I'm pretty sure what I'm about to say also applies to this game as well)

First of all, if you plan to create items using Item Creation, you gotta first go to the Skill Guilds located in a handful of cities and buy all the skills there. They are the guys that offer you skills like Knowledge 1 and Technique 2. Once you are far enough into the game to have all the skills available, you MUST FIRST spend your skill points on Determination. This awesome skill reduces the SP cost of all the other skills.

After you've maxed out Determination, you are able to assign skill points. Along with the stat bonuses each skill can give, most of these skills are the driving force of creating items. But the question is, what kind of skill points should I assign to a character? Well, take a look at the character's Talents. Talents are specialties that increases the chances of successfully creating an item. While your characters start off with a few Talents, you can get talents by creating certain items without the Talent. For example, let's say Roddick has the Taste Talent. This means that he can create food items more successfully than the ones who don't have the Talent. However, if Ilia, who doesn't have the Taste Talent, attempts to cook enough times, she will eventually get the Taste Talent (and get a free 100 SP too boot!).

Now, for the skills, when you increase a few skills, you also increase the Specialty corresponding with the skills. Specialties are what you use to create the items. For example, if Roddick puts his SP into Eye for Detail, Smithing and Aesthetic Design, he can get the Customization Specialty, which enables him to create and upgrade his own weapons.

I hope this is clear to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Barudak posted:

If you're going for bosses to be taken down non-lethaly, know that in their first form you can shoot them to poo poo and it doesn't count against you. You only have to tranq them once its just their physical bodies in the flight-suits trying to grind Snake to a heart-attack.

To get their statues to check out during briefings, you need to stamina kill their first form, then pick up the statue while they're in their second. If you're feeling especially silly, let them chase you around in their second form for 3 minutes or so, then pull out your camera. :v:

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Just picked up Bioshock 2 for the PS3. Never played the first one, but I'm familiar enough with the story to follow the plot in this one.

I'm playing on easy, so combat isn't too difficult, but any advice on weapon upgrades or plasmid choices would be welcome.

Also, in the first one saving/killing the little sisters didn't affect anything but the final cutscene, right? Is that the same here, or am I going to screw myself over by harvesting them?

Prosaic
May 20, 2010

Astfgl posted:

Just picked up Bioshock 2 for the PS3. Never played the first one, but I'm familiar enough with the story to follow the plot in this one.

I'm playing on easy, so combat isn't too difficult, but any advice on weapon upgrades or plasmid choices would be welcome.

Also, in the first one saving/killing the little sisters didn't affect anything but the final cutscene, right? Is that the same here, or am I going to screw myself over by harvesting them?

I played through the game just picking up whatever weapon upgrades or plasmids looked useful at the time. Sure, you could probably find some combination of upgrades that makes the game super easy, but why would you want to do that?

As for the little sisters, if you save a bunch of them, they'll give you gifts (in the form of plasmids or adam), but it won't change much plot-wise, other than the ending cutscene.

e: Okay, so you get the most adam by letting them harvest, then harvesting them.

Prosaic fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 25, 2010

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Since you're playing on Easy you can probably just do anything you want and you'll get through the game. Why not bump it up to at least normal? The combat in this game is a lot more refined than in the first Bioshock.

That said, the best tonics and plasmids are the ones that increase the effectiveness of the drill, which is unsurprisingly your best weapon (get good at drill dashing). Freezing Drill in particular is great, and Ice Blast (or whatever its called) is probably the most overpowered active plasmid because of it. I also liked Incinerate for straight up damage; Electro Shock isn't as useful as in the first game but might be worth keeping around for Big Daddies and Sisters. If you play on a difficulty where you're ever in danger, Decoy is amazing. The Armored Shell and faster research line are pretty useful as well. The upgraded Security Command (that lets you summon robots) and the gene tonic that lets you repair robots is a nice combo. Beyond that, just use whatever looks useful, it's pretty straightforward.

The best guns to upgrade are
-the drill (don't worry about the reflector upgrade its mediocre unless you only use the drill, but you'll want more damage and efficiency)
-the rivet gun (fully upgrade it for sure, its the best all around gun)
-the shotgun (weak at first, but much improved through upgrading, the electric blast is awesome for armored enemies)
-the machine gun (because its basically useless if you don't upgrade its damage, don't worry about the ricochet, it sucks)
-the spear gun (I personally liked it, you might not)

You get roughly equal rewards whether you rescue or harvest the sisters - seriously, it barely makes a difference - so do whichever you prefer aesthetically. The tonics they give you are for collecting ADAM more efficiently, nothing useful in a fight. Personally I didn't want to feel like a child murdering scum so I saved them. Collect all the ADAM you can before doing either though.

Research everything you can asap, especially thuggish splicers and brute splicers, they disappear entirely later in the game.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 25, 2010

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

John Pastor posted:

Rome - Total War
Hire mercenary hoplites to bolster your forces. Let them do the dying. Roman infantry is generally too valuable to be sacrificed lightly.

To expand on this a bit further...

Don't hire mercenaries until you're ready to lay siege, assault, or attack someone, they're very expensive per turn.

Send them into the fight first to start thinning out the ranks for your enemy, then send in your heavies once the enemy is weakened.

As soon as the battle is over, disband any and all mercenaries and avoid any continued cost. That is, if you're in the clear and won't be engaging anyone for a few turns.

This goes for pretty much any Total War iteration. You may keep a unit or two which has accumulated experience, but that doesn't happen often as they're just going to fight the one battle before being sent home. Towards the end of the game it's also feasible to keep some better quality mercs as you'll probably be making more money than you know what to do with.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Prosaic posted:

e: You still get more adam per little sister if you harvest them.

Still wrong. You get far more ADAM by taking them around to harvest and then sending them on their merry way.

Prosaic
May 20, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Still wrong. You get far more ADAM by taking them around to harvest and then sending them on their merry way.

Oh yeah, I got that bit confused with Bioshock 1. Edited it out.

e: or not?

Prosaic fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 25, 2010

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Since you're playing on Easy you can probably just do anything you want and you'll get through the game. Why not bump it up to at least normal? The combat in this game is a lot more refined than in the first Bioshock.

It's my first non-PC FPS so my aim and reflexes with the joysticks are not very good.

SpazmasterX posted:

poo poo, really? How does that work, then? Does the ADAM they gift to you balance out what you lose by saving them at the vent? Or do I have to be really diligent about getting them to harvest as many corpses as possible and then save them?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

He was right - you do get slightly more ADAM by harvesting every sister. Taking them around to collect ADAM is pretty much a given, you can harvest them after you do that.

Astfgl posted:

poo poo, really? How does that work, then? Does the ADAM they gift to you balance out what you lose by saving them at the vent? Or do I have to be really diligent about getting them to harvest as many corpses as possible and then save them?
Literally don't worry about it. You get basically the same amount of ADAM whatever you do, it's off by a hundred ADAM or so in favor of harvesting. Like you surmised, the gifts they give you balance out the lesser ADAM you receive per sister saved. You should, though, always take each sister around and harvest ADAM from corpses, regardless of what you do, its fun and easy and gets you quick ADAM. Just do whatever you think is more appropriate storywise.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 25, 2010

Prosaic
May 20, 2010

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

He was right - you do get slightly more ADAM by harvesting every sister. Taking them around to collect ADAM is pretty much a given, you can harvest them after you do that.

Right, so save < harvest < they harvest, you save < they harvest, then you harvest them.

Forgot about the whole letting them harvest thing for a second there.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Recently I started playing NPC Quest (a game that kind of plays itself) and I can't beat the 'secret' dungeon called 'A Very Bad Place.' Has anyone ever beat it, or have any advice as to how to beat it besides getting to some crazy level that will take days and days of grinding to get to?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The gifts you receive for saving the sisters aren't really good in the first place except for the one that gives you an ADAM boost for harvesting (harvesting the sisters still gives you about +200 ADAM, I did the calculation somewhere). With that said, by the end of the game you'll have all the best genes purchased and everything else is garbage that you won't ever touch. Seriously, don't sweat about collecting every ADAM you come across because level 3 freeze + drill dash = win game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

upperthorax posted:

To expand on this a bit further...

Don't hire mercenaries until you're ready to lay siege, assault, or attack someone, they're very expensive per turn.

Send them into the fight first to start thinning out the ranks for your enemy, then send in your heavies once the enemy is weakened.

As soon as the battle is over, disband any and all mercenaries and avoid any continued cost. That is, if you're in the clear and won't be engaging anyone for a few turns.
This really depends on the mercenary type and your own army combo. A lot of factions can really use 3-4 units of crecean archers or scythian horse archers in their army at all times.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So I finally recieved my copy of Divinity 2, 3 months after I ordered it from my usual webstore. What should skills and weapon styles should I focus on in the beginning?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Sylphosaurus posted:

So I finally recieved my copy of Divinity 2, 3 months after I ordered it from my usual webstore. What should skills and weapon styles should I focus on in the beginning?

"Quit Game". Seriously though, if anyone can provide some good tips to make this game enjoyable/playable, I'm all ears. I tried playing this twice to just outside the first town and quit because everything in the game from dialogue to combat just felt wrong. It's a game that seems like it might be decent but maybe I haven't gotten far enough for the fun to kick in?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

"Quit Game". Seriously though, if anyone can provide some good tips to make this game enjoyable/playable, I'm all ears. I tried playing this twice to just outside the first town and quit because everything in the game from dialogue to combat just felt wrong. It's a game that seems like it might be decent but maybe I haven't gotten far enough for the fun to kick in?

If you didn't get your dragon form you quit way too soon. The game's intro is tedious but just dash through the main quest for 60 minutes until you get your dragon form then go back and do everything else.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

If you didn't get your dragon form you quit way too soon. The game's intro is tedious but just dash through the main quest for 60 minutes until you get your dragon form then go back and do everything else.

Stole the words from my mouth/keyboard. Saying the game sucks complete balls and not having reached the part where you can turn into a dragon at will are things that are fairly mutually exclusive.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Morpheus posted:

Stole the words from my mouth/keyboard. Saying the game sucks complete balls and not having reached the part where you can turn into a dragon at will are things that are fairly mutually exclusive.

How long is this game? If the first 60 min sucks rear end then how much of it is actually good?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Anything for Tales of Vesperia and/or Disgaea 3?

I'm actually a few hours into Vesperia already, but maybe there's a character who I should or shouldn't be using specifically (I have up to the mage girl) or general combat tips.

Disgaea I'm totally new to. Haven't played any of them yet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Disgaea 3 has a whole bunch of crazy systems.

You need to focus on a core set of characters to level - I used mostly story characters.

If you're having trouble with level, you can replay previous levels. Levels are usually a lot easier when you repeat them and don't have any story bosses. Some levels are especially good to level on. I'm having trouble remembering which were in the early game, but the 6th chapter 3rd level is really good on repeat visits.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Adus posted:

Anything for Tales of Vesperia
Never, ever sell your weapons, no matter what. You learn skills from weapons, and some skills can only be learned on weapons you get only one of (such as your default weapons). If you've sold some weapons already it's not a big deal (I know I hosed some of this up my first time through), but it's something to keep in mind.

Overlimiting Rita is the best way to destroy anything, because the casting time for her spells becomes zero. Some of her spells can actually repeatedly fill up the Overlimit meter (such as Tidal Wave) in certain situations, so if you equip her with things to reduce TP cost you can effectively lay waste to anything for a long period of time. Even the super hard optional boss is like nothing; the amount of damage you can deal out will rack up so quickly that the damage counter won't be able to keep up.

Don't worry about getting everything your first time through. It's too much trouble and not very fun. Instead play through the game your first time and concentrate on having fun; then use a New Game+ to get everything you missed.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 29, 2010

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

quote:

patching yourself after the helicopter attack early in the game (look to the left, it might not seem like much but what you're seeing plays a bigger role than you think) and after the boss fight in the river about 2/3rds through the game(look up and to the right).

Which are these two again? What do you see?

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 29, 2010

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Nate RFB posted:

Never, ever sell your weapons, no matter what. You learn skills from weapons, and some skills can only be learned on weapons you get only one of (such as your default weapons). If you've sold some weapons already it's not a big deal (I know I hosed some of this up my first time through), but it's something to keep in mind.

Overlimiting Rita is the best way to destroy anything, because the casting time for her spells becomes zero. Some of her spells can actually repeatedly fill up the Overlimit meter (such as Tidal Wave) in certain situations, so if you equip her with things to reduce TP cost you can effectively lay waste to anything for a long period of time. Even the super hard optional boss is like nothing; the amount of damage you can deal out will rack up so quickly that the damage counter won't be able to keep up.

Don't worry about getting everything your first time through. It's too much trouble and not very fun. Instead play through the game your first time and concentrate on having fun; then use a New Game+ to get everything you missed.

Thanks. I wasn't aware there was a newgame+ so I was pulling my hair out trying to get a couple of the boss secret achievements. Some I got on accident but some (like knocking that one guy overboard when he's already pretty hard) are ridiculous. I would rather just focus on enjoying the game anyway.

And I have sold weapons but nothing that I hadn't learned the skills on already. I stopped selling them after one of the in game tips made mention of being careful not to because of transmuting or whatever it's called.

Do titles do anything? I know in Symphonia they could affect stats but so far it seems like all the ones I've got do nothing whatsoever.

I assume what you've said about overlimiting Rita means I should control her. Is this something I should do more regularly? I've pretty much just stuck with Yuri so far. It is a bit annoying when she casts spells monsters are resistant to.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Adus posted:

Thanks. I wasn't aware there was a newgame+ so I was pulling my hair out trying to get a couple of the boss secret achievements. Some I got on accident but some (like knocking that one guy overboard when he's already pretty hard) are ridiculous. I would rather just focus on enjoying the game anyway.

And I have sold weapons but nothing that I hadn't learned the skills on already. I stopped selling them after one of the in game tips made mention of being careful not to because of transmuting or whatever it's called.

Do titles do anything? I know in Symphonia they could affect stats but so far it seems like all the ones I've got do nothing whatsoever.

I assume what you've said about overlimiting Rita means I should control her. Is this something I should do more regularly? I've pretty much just stuck with Yuri so far. It is a bit annoying when she casts spells monsters are resistant to.
One thing to keep in mind of course is that when you do a New Game+ what you bring over is "bought" via Grade. But Vesperia has a neat trick to get enough Grade to buy everything. You can only really do it at the endgame so don't worry about it now. But google/GameFAQs "Rita Tidal Wave Grade Trick" or something when you're there.

Yeah the problem is some weapons, such as the default ones, can be reforged into new weapons with new skills. Except if you've sold them, you can't make these new weapons. I sold Repede and Karol's default weapons for example and missed out on later weapons/skills as a result.

I think titles in Vesperia are purely cosmetic. For what it's worth I think the costumes you get as a result are pretty decent, ranging from cool (Yuri's Dark Enforcer title) to hilarious (basically any Karol costume title). Buy a hat for Yuri, because he looks pimp as gently caress with it.

Yeah controlling Rita is kind of a pain at the start, because she takes too long to cast. Towards the end though as you get equipment and skills to reduce that cast time, she becomes very viable. I also started the game out as controlling Yuri, but by the end had switched exclusively to Rita.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

How long is this game? If the first 60 min sucks rear end then how much of it is actually good?

Long enough. It's an RPG so 30+ hours. There is a lot of exploration and talking involved especially in the intro so I can see why people got bored fast. The first town is pretty huge and if you're one of those must-get-every-sidequest type of people you'll spend 2 hours just talking to everyone and exploring before you even kill your first monster.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'm finally getting around to playing Makai Kingdom, and maybe Phantom Brave after that. I'm assuming standard NIS rules are in force (put heal on someone who can fight well and take hits, and have them do everything except for the guys that throw him, and you have a Win Button; the campaign is just the beginning; several other common things), but is there anything peculiar to these titles that I'd be best off knowing sooner rather than later?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Another quick Bioshock 2 question. When I shatter enemies, do I miss any items they might be carrying? There's no corpse to loot, so I'm just wondering whether shattering enemies destroys any items they have?

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!
Anything I should know for Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow or is it easy enough to go in without knowing anything?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Anyone got tips for Final Fantasy Tactics A 2?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Astfgl posted:

Another quick Bioshock 2 question. When I shatter enemies, do I miss any items they might be carrying? There's no corpse to loot, so I'm just wondering whether shattering enemies destroys any items they have?

If you upgrade the ice power then their shattered corpses leave behind lockboxes that have the loot their bodies would have had.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Luisfe posted:

You beat Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, right? This game is a joke in comparison.

If you're dead-set on maximizing your experience the following set-ups are basically broken.

Viera: Learn Dualcast+pretty much anything summon being fun. It lets you cast two spells in a turn, can be comboed with any type of spell.

Nu Mou: Learn Illusion magic and I think its white magic gets "spells cost 1/2" This lets you spam a full screen hitting magic attack with the strongest mage in the game every single turn. Did I mention you can easily learn a non-elemental one so nothing can resist it? Expect to dish out around 100-130 hp damage out of usually around 300 health to all enemies once you have this setup.

Human: Dual wield+Counter moves. Dual wield lets you equip two of the one handed weapons. It means you learn skills twice as fast and lets you dish out damage that makes two handers look silly. You can get this really early, in one of the Giant Chicken hunt plot missions, a treasure chest will contain the sword that gives you this skill so loot em all. Combine with Counter, then combine with the upgrade to counter that nullifies all melee damage and counters. This makes the main character a tank that can only take indirect damage and can one/two-shot pretty much anything.

Bangaa/Human: Air-Render and Aura-Blast. These are zero mp skills that are ranged damage that hits for roughly what you would do in melee to an enemy. Does not count as a projectile or magic. Aura-Blast is the upgrade to Air-Render and travels an additional square and hits in a cross patter letting you hit multiple enemies.

The Annoying Girl Human thats Part of the Plot: Despite being a complete bitch-face and leaving temporarily early on, she is the only one who has access to a special class that unlocks post game. If you have any interest in post-game content keep her in your party.

Do not ever, ever ever sell synthesis items unless you see them drop from non-boss enemies. There are a couple which are rewards for missions that are mandatory for later missions that you only get once. Not that money should ever be an issue at any point in the game.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 29, 2010

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Any advice for Mount and Blade Warband? I went through the tutorial, and started the game and haven't found a particularly good Getting Started guide in terms of what's a good easy intro for a new player. There seem to be so many options.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Any hints for Puzzle Quest, DS version? I'm assuming it boils down to getting lucky that it decides to not gently caress you, but are there any class/skill/item combos that work well and might make things a tad easier?

EDIT: I guess I'll also ask this here: Are there any Diablo style games for DS? A dungeon runner that gives random drops and the ability to keep running the same area for more/better loot?

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 29, 2010

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Luisfe posted:

To add on to what Barudak said: be aware that if you played the previous one, speed has changed drastically. There is no class in the game that guarantees a speed increase on level up (even the Chocobo Knight has a 1% chance of not getting speed), and the ones that have good chances gain absolutely terrible stats otherwise (again, the Chocobo Knight has the lowest stat gains of any class in the game - literally, it's a mage's HP with fighter's MP type deal). There are two things to take from this:

1) Barring save-scumming your level ups, there is a very real chance that your character will gain little to no speed in the course of the game. This means you want to pay close attention to your recruit's class/stats - if that level 30 ninja you just recruited apparently failed 27 of his speed gain checks, it may not be a good idea to keep him around.
2) Given that even speed classes have a chance to not gain any speed, it's not really worth leveling in those classes. Focus on your Weapon/Magic attack, depending on what you want to do - there's guides up on GameFAQs that show which class gets the best gains, if you want to plan it out.
2b) The exception to this is Assassin's, who get the best speed and the best physical stat growths for Vieras and are basically just as broken as they were in the previous game.

That's basically a lot of words for "there's a larger chance of gimping your stats in this one that the previous one, so look out."

Orgophlax posted:

Any hints for Puzzle Quest, DS version? I'm assuming it boils down to getting lucky that it decides to not gently caress you, but are there any class/skill/item combos that work well and might make things a tad easier?

From what I recall: play as warrior, focus on Fire/Battle (shove all your stat/temple points in there, maybe put some in the others just to give some extra extra turn chance), then use any increase damage/battle skill you can find (revenant/hide/etc.) and go nuts with the level 1 call skull ability - it doesn't end your turn if you have over a certain amount of red mana, and with the 100+ fire mastery you'll have at the end of the game that's a lot of exploding skulls for you to start pummeling with.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

oneof3steves posted:

Any advice for Mount and Blade Warband? I went through the tutorial, and started the game and haven't found a particularly good Getting Started guide in terms of what's a good easy intro for a new player. There seem to be so many options.

- Tournaments are a really profitable and non-lethal way to raise your renown. But only if you win of course.
- Cattle driving quests are a son of a bitch without the "Cattle follow you" option in TweakMB. I seriously recommend you download it to save yourself lots of frustration.
- Play Multiplayer for a bit, you'll find that fighting against the computer gets a lot easier all of a sudden after a few rounds against real people.
- Not all companions play nice with each other so if you want to keep them, be careful which ones you choose to take with you.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What should I know before playing Torchlight?

I'm going to play as the Vanquisher. Is it best for me to look up talent/skill combinations or just pick what looks good to me? Any other tips or advice?

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing Makai Kingdom, and maybe Phantom Brave after that. I'm assuming standard NIS rules are in force (put heal on someone who can fight well and take hits, and have them do everything except for the guys that throw him, and you have a Win Button; the campaign is just the beginning; several other common things), but is there anything peculiar to these titles that I'd be best off knowing sooner rather than later?

Starting with Makai Kingdom is a good idea. It doesn't have the crushing difficulty curve of Phantom Brave and is much closer to other NIS games in terms of game play mechanics. I'm sure it's possible to use the lone destroyer strategy, but it's made more difficult by the fact there are no hero characters that can be used in battle to give you a head start. I'm fan of the balanced team approach.

Really the only tip you need is that you can heal your entire squad at once by healing Zetta.

But here a few more:

Be sure to pick up any scenery with stars, they make transmigration worth it.

When riding a vehicle only the vehicle gains experience unless the driver has a certain skill (can't remember what it is right now).

Make use of buildings, you're characters that hop in can be tossed out in the same turn with for another full movement. Also you can throw a building to get a large number of characters somewhere without wasting all their turns.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Orgophlax posted:

EDIT: I guess I'll also ask this here: Are there any Diablo style games for DS? A dungeon runner that gives random drops and the ability to keep running the same area for more/better loot?
I think everyone will agree with the warrior fire/battle advice for Puzzle Quest. Though I put my skill points from the temple on cunning to eventually get the first shot at all those 4 and 5 of a kinds the board often starts with. Troll rings are also solid accessories since they run on blue mana and you don't use it all that often as a warrior. Much later on you'll have Deathbringer to fill the field with skulls and more or less end battles on the first turn. The PC version nerfed the hell out of things like that. Finally, level up a mount if you want a good chance at simply passing over battles with trash on the world map.

Soma Bringer is a drat good Diablo style RPG, but I don't think it ever got a US release. I've seen an English patch for it though. Isn't one of the Blue Dragon DS games in this style too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Vinlaen posted:

What should I know before playing Torchlight?

I'm going to play as the Vanquisher. Is it best for me to look up talent/skill combinations or just pick what looks good to me? Any other tips or advice?

Pick what looks good. I like the AoE Stomp for when I get surrounded, but that's just my playstyle. I wouldn't play it below normal (and even then, only on normal if you've never played point-and-click RPGs before) since it's really easy.