Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Holy poo poo. That's like something out of a drat movie. If you ever need to vent about the experience or recovery, we're always here to listen and offer support as best we can :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Mother of gently caress you two are lucky sons of bitches. Good luck with the hands. At least neither of you were on a Firebolt! :downsrim:

I had my first off-road drops earlier thanks to failing to adhere to the cardinal rule of dealing with sand: DON'T loving STOP. Also I didn't realize just how much of a fat pig the KLR is until I had to pick it up in sand. On a hill. gently caress that sucked.

Also also, hockey puck ME880s are (predictably) rear end off-road.

Additionally, I'm lucky I'm not making this from the hospital as some dick in a big red Tundra locked it up and came within inches of bulldozing me on the superslab cause it got backed up suddenly.

redscare fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 1, 2010

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
Holy. poo poo.

I'm glad you guys are okay, and I hope the healing continues to go well. Seriously, just reading that and seeing the pictures may have traumatized me. I can't even imagine being a part of that in any way.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I wasn't going to post this, but was told I probably should... so here goes.

A few folks here already know about it, but my wife crashed on July 28. She's a new rider, with about a total of about 100 miles experience before the crash. In a technical sense, she failed to negotiate the turn. There was a nice medium right hand curve, followed by a medium left. It was dark, the road was unmarked (no edge or center striping), and new to us both. Neither of us realized the left turn was there until it was too late. Instead of tightening up the turn and trusting/hoping the bike would make it, I got to watch her straighten up, hit the brakes, and go off the side of the road and down into the ditch at about 40mph.

The LS650 threw her off while hitting the ground hard on the left side, and then flipped at least once before coming to stop on the right side. I think she locked the front wheel up and flipped it down, as the majority of the damage is on the bike’s left side. She wound up rolling/flying from the bike and stopped about 25 feet away.

Her gear held up rather well. Her Shoei RF1000 helmet is being written off since it hit the ground with her head in it. There are some scrapes across the top of the visor and the forehead area on the helmet, so it definitely did its job. Her Joe Rocket Cleo 2 mesh jacket is filthy, but there are no rips, tears or any other visible damage to be found. Her Cortech Accelerator gloves are dirty, but again, no rips or tears, and her Orbit boots are fine as well.

Her injuries consist of a broken left arm. No cuts, no scratches, no scrapes. Even though her head DID hit the ground at least twice, the CT scan showed no spinal, neck or head injuries. Wear your loving gear, folks, it’s why she was able to leave the ER 5 hrs later.

Her first question to me in the ER was to ask if her bike was totaled, and she already wants another helmet and to get back on as a passenger on the ST asap, so she'll be just fine. She does want to ride her own again, just maybe not quite right away.

Seeing her go off the road was pretty bad itself, but hearing the sounds of the crash in my headset was sickening. After getting the ST stopped and parked I couldn't hear anything from her at all since our headset com-link had been dropped. That was TERRIFYING, and probably the worst part of it all.

It's funny how things float through your head in situations like that. I remember thinking to myself that it was a good thing I had a flashlight in my tank bag, and how it was a really good thing that I'd just become CPR certified, because I may need to do it. She could hear me yelling for her, but I could not hear her at all since the wind had been knocked from her.

By the time I’d ripped my helmet and gloves off, dug out my flashlight, and ran over towards her bike to find her, she was starting to sit up and was already fumbling with the helmet strap and making noise. The pain from the broken arm was making her nauseous, and she didn’t want to puke into her helmet and choke. I made sure she could feel me touching her limbs and that she didn’t have any pain anywhere else except her arm, and then helped take her helmet off.

The sheriff's deputy kept asking me if I was OK once he realized that I was on my own bike and was going to ride to the ER behind the ambulance. He kept telling me I could ride in the ambulance with my wife, and that he was sure my friends could get my bike home for me. I didn't understand why at the time, but now I do - I must have looked pretty shook up. I honestly don't remember much of the ride to the ER.

Luckily we were with another couple when it happened. They were awesome, calling 911 for me while helping secure the scene and making sure the bike was turned off while I took care of my wife.

A guy named Clay who lives nearby the accident scene happened to be driving home a few minutes after the crash and stopped to give a hand. It just so happened that he's also a rider, and had a trailer. He volunteered to go home, hitch up his trailer, and carry our wrecked bike a half hour away to our house. For a perfect stranger. At midnight. On a weekday.

Our friends went with him to lead him to my house, and Clay refused to even take money to refuel his truck. We’re going to meet up with him to thank him proper, I feel like I owe the man dinner and a cold beer.

I know it probably doesn't make much sense, but I keep blaming myself for it. That voice in my head keeps saying "you should have insisted she ride with you on the ST, you knew it would be dark, you knew she's a new rider". But she had been doing SO well though in the dark around town close to home, and she wanted to ride her LS with us instead of going two up. But I can't deny her anything, and she’s an adult, and she knows the risks ... so I gave in.

Her bike isn't too badly damaged, the foot pegs are trashed, the clutch lever and mount are damaged. The headlight bucket is destroyed, and there are some dents on the tank and the fender and the turn signals are broken on the left side. I just bought a new headlamp bucket assembly today on Ebay, so the rebuild process has officially begun.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Glad she escaped without really serious injuries. I can't imagine watching my significant other crash right in front of me.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.
Glad to hear that both spirits and health are equally good.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

quote:

Not a recent crash, but I returned to the scene of the crime the other day to find nothing much had changed. So I walked the corridors of power in Goodison, Michigan because wherever there is injustice, you will find me. Wherever there is suffering, I'll be there.

Hello fellow Oakland twp/Rochester goon. I grew up just up the hill from the Cider mill and have seen 1 bike go down there a few years ago. Another danger zone is where Gunn rd. crosses Orion when you are heading north, a lot of gravel tends to collect on the outside of the turn. Ride safe, god knows the folks around here don't look for you.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Whoops.

First accident today after a month and 1200 miles. I was taking turn at ~10mph, and I leaned over too much and too fast, scraping either the sidestand or the centerstand not sure which first. Suddenly, the rear wheel is no longer on the ground and I'm sliding into the curb with my bike. You can see my path in the above picture.

I'm fine, I'll need to get a new pair of overpants as the left knee's fabric is worn down the armor in a 3x3" patch. I have some scuffs on my left glove and on the left elbow of my jacket, but everything else gear wise seems alright.

The bike... has seen better days. I don't have better pictures right now as I'm at work and the bike is not, but the left handlebar has been bent almost completely off. Additionally, the left fairing is cracked on the seam near the gauges. The bike won't start, but I was thinking there might be a tilt sensor or something that got tripped? I hope so.

I'm not really sure what to do next. I'm taking it in to my local shop to get an estimate for repairs, but I don't know if it'd be easier just to do the fixes myself. Only issue is I'm not sure where I'd get the parts. Other people parting out 250s?

Adrenaline is still flowing a bit. I remember the two thoughts going through my head as I was sliding: "Well, this is embarassing" and "I wonder how much this'll cost me?". Lesson learned? Be a bit more gradual when leaning over my bike until I'm confident of how far over it can go.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The bike probably won't start because they don't respond well to being on their sides. Does the 250 have a prime setting?

Otherwise, you're probably just going to have to crank it for a bit to get it running.

Don't bother taking it to the shop, pick up some basic tools and get a replacement handlebar off of ebay, it'll take you 30 minutes to swap it. Ignore the fairing crack, it's not going to be an issue. If you want to fix it, you can pull the fairing and plastiweld it.

Besides that, glad you're ok. :) Post up a thread if you have any other questions or problems and we'll get you back on the road in no time.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

The bike probably won't start because they don't respond well to being on their sides. Does the 250 have a prime setting?

Otherwise, you're probably just going to have to crank it for a bit to get it running.

Its this. When carbed bikes take naps, fuel leaves the carbs and goes onto the pavement (at least with both of mine it did) and you gotta sit on the start button for a while until they get refilled again.

Do all that other stuff z3n said, the damage sounds pretty minor.

Speaking of 250s and crashes, one of the girls that works here might have been hit on her way in this morning (edit: was just told she clipped a mirror while splitting, oops). I think she's only been riding for like 5 months.

redscare fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 19, 2010

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.
Should be mentioned that on my first on-the-street fall there was a small plastic housing on the handlebar that was damaged. The bike wouldn't start after that. It turned out to be some sort of sensor/switch that was required for proper operation. Cue me walking the bike the 2 miles back home. Luckily it was mostly flat and then down-hill.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Jebus, some people have the worst luck. Glad to see no one is dead.

I just want to point out a few things related to accidents, some things to think about if you are first on the scene of an accident.

1. Is the location safe, for you and for the injured? No one is helped if you get hit by a car while helping.

2. Do a quick survey of the scene. What has happened, how many are injured, what vehicles are involved, and where the hell are you anyway?

3. Call 911 (or 112 or 114 or whatever your emergency number is). Don't hang up until the operator tells you to.

4. Help the injured.

When it comes to helping the injured, number one is always to check for breathing. If you don't breath, you die. Other injuries are always second to this. The easiest way to check this is to call out or talk to the person. If he responds, he is breathing.

Always go to the quiet ones first, if someone is screaming his/her lungs out they are at least breathing and awake.

Move on to the next victim (if there are any), until you have checked everyone for breathing, then check everyone for bleeding and so on. DO NOT get caught up at the first injured (if multiple).

If there is no breathing, remove the helmet. It's best if you are two for this, one fixates the neck as best he can, while the other pulls the helmet off. With the helmet is off, administer CPR.

If the person is breathing, DO NOT REMOVE THE HELMET!
Similarly, don't remove clothes and gear unless it is necessary to ensure breathing.

If the person is breathing, and is not in danger otherwise (because of fire, for e.g.), DO NOT MOVE HIM/HER. Arms and legs moving about can be difficult to prevent, but the most important things it that the spine is kept as still as possible. Also, just because a person is up and moving about after an accident doesn't mean he or she isn't injured. 1 out of 5 spinal injuries seen on x-ray are not felt in connection with the accident because of the massive release of adrenaline. The adrenaline also slows bleeding, btw. So, even if someone “feels fine”, get them to lay still until someone gets them a spineboard.

If a person is laying face down and you are not sure if they are breathing, turn them over as gently as possible and then proceed as above. If there are people with you, have someone fixate the neck, then have this person coordinate the turning (on my mark etc).

Bleeding is another matter. It can, for e.g., be very difficult to tell if someone is having internal haemorrhaging. Symptoms of major bleeding, internal or external (although major external bleeding is easier to spot) are cold hands and feet, very pale skin, high heart rate, confusion and slowness of speech, and being thirsty. DO NOT give them something to drink, this could lead to complications if surgery is needed. In the case of external bleeding, bleeding from arteries produce a pulsing bleeding that bleeds a lot in a short time. The veins produce a slow but steady flow. Haemorrhage at a rapid pace causes more severe symptoms than a slower bleed. In any case, keep pressure on the wound, and try to keep it as high as possible. Do not worry about an eventual infection from your dirty paws, antibiotics will take care of that.

Everything that you observe about the injured is important information that the ambulance personnel might ask you, information that no one else can supply them with.

As a side note, the most common injury in biking accidents are fractures. That doesn't sound that bad, you might say. Well, it depends. A very common fracture is the femur. It gets smashed against the handle bars while you are doing your best impression of a bird. One broken femur can lead to up to a quart of blood lost to internal bleeding. Both broken, half a US gallon of loose blood in your thighs. A normal, healthy human male has about 7% body weight in blood, 6% for females. A 175 pound guy has about 1.5 gallon of blood. If you just lost half a gallon, you're already in the red zone, and that's from just two broken bones. It's not a stretch of imagination to think there might be other injuries as well. Sudden loss of one third of the blood volume can be fatal. A broken pelvis can bleed you dry just from internal haemorrhaging if you are unlucky.

Ride safe, everyone.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A broken pelvis can bleed you dry just from internal haemorrhaging if you are unlucky.

A friend of mine went off a cliff on his RC51 and bounced off every tree on the way down (not poetic licence). He then ran back up the side of the cliff before collapsing. Fractured pelvis and internal bleeding. Just to make his day complete, the air ambulance got caught in a thunderstorm and he thought he was going to die (for the second or third time that day, I guess). Then he had to fly home in coach class. :cry:

See Nidhg00670000, some people's riding holidays are worse than yours.

e: the bike was built Honda tough. Some new bodywork and a radiator and he sold it to some unsuspecting person.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Saga posted:

A friend of mine went off a cliff on his RC51 and bounced off every tree on the way down (not poetic licence). He then ran back up the side of the cliff before collapsing. Fractured pelvis and internal bleeding. Just to make his day complete, the air ambulance got caught in a thunderstorm and he thought he was going to die (for the second or third time that day, I guess). Then he had to fly home in coach class. :cry:

Holy loving poo poo

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Holy loving poo poo

I know, flying coach. What a loving bitch.

no seriously, glad he's ok

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
It will not surprise you to hear that he came off at or around Deal's Gap.

He tottered onto the plane still white as a sheet, swore off street riding and took up club racing. For a while, then got a street bike as well.

Hopefully he hasn't hit anything since - this was a few years ago, but it was a fairly spectacular crash. A very good rider BION, but he was never very good at following distances.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
My good friend Rod, who helped fix up the fairing on my GSXR and helped me out by giving me a bunch of bits from his parts bike, was in a serious accident June 28th that I just found out about.

Apparently he was riding in Vancouver at city speeds with his buddy, when he passed out and the fell over on his left side. His helmet smashed on something hard and very specific enough to make a fist sized hole on the right hand side; his shoulder blade, clavicle and collar bone all broke or fractured. The EMT's said his speech wasn't coherent so they rushed him to the hospital and did a cat scan to find out that he had severe head trauma and bleeding of the brain on the right side. At the emergency room, his heart stopped and he nearly died. Then he went toxic and nearly died again. He was so out of it and hosed in the head that they put him in an induced coma for two days to try and let the brain heal.

When he was in the coma, the doctors told his family he might never walk again, and he may be in the hospital for two years. 5 and a half weeks later he was walking out of the hospital with a bag of chinese food in his hands. His shoulder is 90% back to where it was, and the doctors are completley astounded he was able to heal so fast.

He's still having some difficulties with his short term memory and cognitive abilities, but I saw him yesterday and he looks to be in really good shape considering. He has no recollection of what happend, and there were no witnesses. He could've had a stroke, he could've hit a pothole, he could've been sideswiped. No body knows and nobody can prove anything.

I'm just glad he's doing OK. They took away his drivers license and he may never get it back, which fucks over his career as he's an auto mechanic. So I'm really hoping he can get it back together because he looked really depressed when I saw him. Just posting this because it's my first experience with a friend in a serious crash :(

Also he was wearing full leathers and a fullface helmet, which were all trashed but saved his skin.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 28, 2010

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

MrZig posted:

Apparently he was riding in Vancouver at city speeds with his buddy, when he passed out and the fell over on his left side.

Drunk or something like a seizure?

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Glad to hear that he healed up so well, and that he lives in Canada and won't be financially ruined for the rest of his life. Also glad to hear he was wearing his gear.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

dietcokefiend posted:

Drunk or something like a seizure?

Definitely not drunk. Nobody knows for sure what happend, only guesses from stroke to hitting a pothole. The internal bleeding could be from the impact or the stroke etc etc. Nothing is definitive, which is kind've worrying.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The other guy he was riding with didn't see what happened?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

2ndclasscitizen posted:

There's typically no initial symptoms at all when an intracranial hemorrhage happens. It goes really fast. That would be my bet. The Gods provided us with lovely blood-to-brain feeding pipes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blaster of Justice posted:

There's typically no initial symptoms at all when an intracranial hemorrhage happens. It goes really fast. That would be my bet. The Gods provided us with lovely blood-to-brain feeding pipes.

I was referring to the inital falling off; i.e, did he just keel over and lose it, or if he hit something, came off and clonked his head then?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I was referring to the inital falling off; i.e, did he just keel over and lose it, or if he hit something, came off and clonked his head then?

I can't answer for that, since I've only got the information you've got provided by MrZig. All evidence however points to intracranial hemorrhage. If you take a serious crash while being conscious, you will almost always break at least one os scaphoideum. I didn't see that listed on the injury-table.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

His buddy was in front of him by a couple blocks, and there were no other witnesses. It's a guessing game.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Yesterday myself and 4 friends were packed into a yellow crown vik that used to be a taxi cab, and we were all extremely hung over. Driving to my house to drop me off, the driver (who is the only one paying attention to the road) sees a motorcyclist fall over. He drives up to him and asks, "Hey, you ok?"
"Yea, but some rear end in a top hat hit me and took off!"
"What car is it?"
"A dark green Honda Accord"

So my friend drives away and starts flooring it, going through a red light, and after 15 blocks we catch the honda at a red light that is impossible to run due to heavy traffic. We start yelling at the driver and telling him he needs to turn around cause he hit a motorcyclist, and the other driver responds by saying that he never hit the bike.

We start taking pictures of him, the car, and a closeup of the rear of the car as we're rolling. The guy decided to turn and go parallel to the street we were on to avoid us, so we turn around and head back to the crash scene. We then show the photos to a couple witnesses and the motorcycle rider and they say that it's the car that hit him. We even notice that there's a fresh tire mark on the rear bumper of the car.

An hour later, after all the witness reports are collected and the rider is taken to the hospital, the 2 friends who were in the front seat of the car are taken by the cops for a ride along to find the guy and identify him. They found him and I don't know what is happening to him, but usually felony hit and run with injury is jail time. The guy was a 40 year old asian.

The bike I didn't take a picture of, but it looked like a street fightered standard with a tiny front fairing. The frame slider took 99% of all the damage. Rider was wearing full gear and looked ok.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 30, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think that's the first time I've heard a hit and run story that ended up with the driver getting caught. Good times!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Good man

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I'm confused. The rider said the car hit him and took off, yet there's a tire mark on the rear bumper? Sounds like the rider rear ended him and the driver took off.

Which is still retarded, but I don't see how the car hit him unless he cut him off and the rider had no where to go except his bumper..

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Could have been on the side of the bumper... Moved over on him because he was in the blindspot.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
The car made a U-turn over the double yellow and the rider hit the back end of the car.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I guess I have a kinda crash to report.

I went for a week long road trip with a girl I was dating to go see some sights up north. It was a good time and all of that until she wanted to switch bikes because her Tuono was making her sore.
I said sure and switched. All was well until she made a wrong turn and we had to turn around. She did a nice U and proceeded to take off. I started a slow U, noticed the bike was trying to go into the ditch instead of turning and due to my slow speed we promptly fell over. The bike wasn't damaged due to my left leg and nut sack catching it. It also had sliders on it but I think that is beside the point. My nuts man.
After she noticed her bike lying on it's side in my rear view mirror she came back and started apologizing profusely. Apparently when she installed the clip ons they reduced her lock to lock turning to about 2 degrees before they hit the tank. She failed to tell me this and I failed to notice due to all of my riding on that bike to that point was going straight.

All in all dumb, but I dropped an Aprilia and all I have to show for it is some black and blue marks.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Couldn't she have changed the angle of them?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Jack the Smack posted:

The car made a U-turn over the double yellow and the rider hit the back end of the car.

The other way this happens is getting reversed into. Don't ask me how someone could be that dumb, just know that it is possible. :cry:

I have also experienced the above, only at night and in the pouring rain. Luckily he completed the turn and gassed it instead of stopping dead, so I missed hitting the back of a Land Rover (sideways) by about 6 inches

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Bugdrvr posted:

I guess I have a kinda crash to report.

I went for a week long road trip with a girl I was dating to go see some sights up north. It was a good time and all of that until she wanted to switch bikes because her Tuono was making her sore.
I said sure and switched. All was well until she made a wrong turn and we had to turn around. She did a nice U and proceeded to take off. I started a slow U, noticed the bike was trying to go into the ditch instead of turning and due to my slow speed we promptly fell over. The bike wasn't damaged due to my left leg and nut sack catching it. It also had sliders on it but I think that is beside the point. My nuts man.
After she noticed her bike lying on it's side in my rear view mirror she came back and started apologizing profusely. Apparently when she installed the clip ons they reduced her lock to lock turning to about 2 degrees before they hit the tank. She failed to tell me this and I failed to notice due to all of my riding on that bike to that point was going straight.

All in all dumb, but I dropped an Aprilia and all I have to show for it is some black and blue marks.

*Was* dating and this girl rides an Aprilia? Biggest mistake of your life man.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

n8r posted:

*Was* dating and this girl rides an Aprilia? Biggest mistake of your life man.
He dropped her bike.
She said "Don't worry about it, it's my fault, it's no big deal"
He believed her.

I'm not sure I believe that the switch from 'is dating' to 'was dating' was a decision he had control of. :v:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

*sigh* No, dropping the bike didn't have much to do with the not dating anymore. It may have been a factor, but me being an insufferable rear end in a top hat probably had greater weight in the decision.

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

My first crash, took me 4,100 miles.

The road had been recently repaved and there was gravel everywhere on this turn. I made the mistake of hugging the center and that was all it took.

:(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

My god, your heads!

Glad you're ok. I take it you still rode it home? We can always hang out next time, don't worry about it, most important thing is that you came out ok. Did you shut off the throttle in the gravel, or attempt to brake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
So I was forced onto the shoulder of a road by an oncoming car. Shoulder being this nice strip of dirt, plants, and who knows what that drops off vertically into a nice drainage ditch. I thought I was home free as I was almost past the car when I spot this.

As eye-witness testimony is demonstrably inaccurate, I am not fully certain what I did in an attempt not to eat it. However, I do know that the front tire of my R1 made contact with and slid the stone in some manner--moving in my direction and then into the ditch--and my bike ended up on its right side.

The driver got out to see if I was OK, and another driver too. They helped me pick up the bike without dropping it into the ditch. Being satisfied that I didn't collide with the car and that the bike and I were both in functional, albeit scuffed up, conditions, I continued on my way.

In hindsight, the road seemed like it was wide enough for the car to have been traveling at least another meter to the outside. Maybe I should have filed an accident report. Though who knows what the police would have decided or the insurance ramifications and so forth.

• Locked thread