Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

AtomicManiac posted:

How can I fix that? Reposition the light back further to give a more even spread?

No, slow down your shutter by 1 stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

McMadCow posted:

No, slow down your shutter by 1 stop.

I think that would have made the sunset too light. Reflector to the right might be a better option.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Cross_ posted:

I think that would have made the sunset too light. Reflector to the right might be a better option.

It's possible, but I think the sunset is pretty safe, especially in the first one. The ground all around the model is lost too- a reflector won't save that, but more shutter would.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Paragon8 posted:

I've met one girl who looks good in an empire waisted top, they're so ridiculous.

Anyway, might as well throw in a picture!

Tests! by Steve takes pictures, on Flickr

For the shot on the left, did you use any light of your own, or is it all natural?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

My latest portrait, of an artist friend in his studio:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

thetzar posted:

For the shot on the left, did you use any light of your own, or is it all natural?

Natural. If I had someone on hand I would have tried to pop a reflector on her.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ric posted:

It seems sort of gray, like it's lacking some needed contrast.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Ric posted:

If the idea is to show just how much poo poo is around him all the time (which is a good setup for an artist portrait) I would play with a wider angle, with more attention to composition. It's a good starting point, but you need to play with the angle, composition and lighting. I perhaps wouldn't have him quite so central in the image either. It feels a bit like a snapshot at the moment, I would reshoot and put these components into practice and it will bring more life to the portrait.

DESTROY ALL GOATS
Aug 13, 2009

A portrait of my friend, shaving that drat neckbeard he'd been cultivating all summer. I'm a little worried about the tones, but what do you guys think?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I think this one came out particularly nice, though it's more a thing of chance and circumstance (And a little help from the model) that this came out the way it did, feel free to shoot holes through it.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I think this one came out particularly nice, though it's more a thing of chance and circumstance (And a little help from the model) that this came out the way it did, feel free to shoot holes through it.

First thing that jumps out is that you cut her toes off. She is also placed in the center of the frame with an awkwardly amount of space around her. Judging by the narrow shadows I'm guessing you used the onboard flash as fill, which is never flattering and has led to a picture that is completely lacking in contrast. Also those sun dresses are almost never flattering and I don't know why women wear them.

Your idea to use a fill light was well thought, but everything in the world is better than an onboard flash. Taking a well exposed photo and using camera raw fill lights would be have been better and probably would have worked wonderfully given it seems like an overcast day. Better still, spend a few $ on a good reflector.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
The sun was actually blaring (the cloud cover behind is anomalous) and point given about it, though it was a outboard speedlight used as a fill light (Though it was oriented to the right when it probably should have been to the left). The rest I guess I'll have to work on.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

DESTROY ALL GOATS posted:

A portrait of my friend, shaving that drat neckbeard he'd been cultivating all summer. I'm a little worried about the tones, but what do you guys think?

I think that if he plans on hitting that neckbeard with that rotary electric he should probably get ready to feel the worst pain of his life. Those things are notorious for pulling hairs, and trying to use it for hair that long is a very bad idea. Otherwise, I would probably adjust the white balance and curves a bit.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008

Ric posted:

I think it just needs a closer crop:

Maybe warm up the color a little too?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

The sun was actually blaring (the cloud cover behind is anomalous) and point given about it, though it was a outboard speedlight used as a fill light (Though it was oriented to the right when it probably should have been to the left). The rest I guess I'll have to work on.

her complexion is a bit too ruddy and/or saturated which isn't that flattering. should be an easy fix - but yeah, lighting's way to flat. maybe some crop would help with composition.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just did my first portrait shoot last Monday. Shot 7 different girls for a hairstylist. I made a few mistakes but I think things got better with each girl.

Here are a couple from the last model. I used an AB-800 with a 22inch beauty dish and a gelled 580ex on the background. Critique if you want.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Haggins posted:

I just did my first portrait shoot last Monday. Shot 7 different girls for a hairstylist. I made a few mistakes but I think things got better with each girl.

Here are a couple from the last model. I used an AB-800 with a 22inch beauty dish and a gelled 580ex on the background. Critique if you want.

I like them as straight up portraits, but as portraits for a hair stylist, I'm not sure there's enough emphasis on the hair.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

torgeaux posted:

I like them as straight up portraits, but as portraits for a hair stylist, I'm not sure there's enough emphasis on the hair.

I agree with this. They'll probably make okay portfolio shots for a MUA, but next time I'd probably shoot outside in daylight, or use the 530 as a hair/rim light instead.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I thought the same thing too. I figured before I got there I'd be doing straight up headshots, but the guy insisted on full lengths. I told him I'm not really set up to do full lengths and the best I can do is 3/4s and headshots so we agreed on that. It seemed like he just wanted to have fun dressing up the models and wanted me to shoot the results. He wanted to pull out swords, guitars, angel wings, masks, and I even some nudes (you can see a few more on my http://www.flickr.com/1-tamm ). To be honest I didn't think the hair was really anything special except the one asian chick I shot and this girl I posted. I just had fun and went with the flow.

After shooting this it makes me want to invest at least one more AB strobe for a hair light and some cybersyncs or pockewizards so I don't have to deal with that finicky rear end optical slave on my 580ex.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Haggins posted:

Yeah I thought the same thing too. I figured before I got there I'd be doing straight up headshots, but the guy insisted on full lengths. I told him I'm not really set up to do full lengths and the best I can do is 3/4s and headshots so we agreed on that. It seemed like he just wanted to have fun dressing up the models and wanted me to shoot the results. He wanted to pull out swords, guitars, angel wings, masks, and I even some nudes (you can see a few more on my http://www.flickr.com/1-tamm ). To be honest I didn't think the hair was really anything special except the one asian chick I shot and this girl I posted. I just had fun and went with the flow.

After shooting this it makes me want to invest at least one more AB strobe for a hair light and some cybersyncs or pockewizards so I don't have to deal with that finicky rear end optical slave on my 580ex.

So this guy is a hair/make-up guy or did he dress the girls too? I guess I could see it if he's going for a whole "Triple Threat Stylist" type package with Hair, MU and clothing all with one guy. If he even had some basic level of skill I'd probably keep his number handy for things.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

So this guy is a hair/make-up guy or did he dress the girls too? I guess I could see it if he's going for a whole "Triple Threat Stylist" type package with Hair, MU and clothing all with one guy. If he even had some basic level of skill I'd probably keep his number handy for things.

His wife was the MUA, as far as dressing goes I know he had some input but I'm not sure how much. It all turned out to be a lot better than I expected it to be and I had a a lot of fun. He said one of the girls had been in penthouse. I don't know if he was full of poo poo but she definitely had the body for it and seemed to know what she was doing. I didn't have to give her any of my feeble posing instructions that I recently gathered from link in the OP and every time I clicked the shutter she gave me a new pose. (she's the tall girl in my stream wearing the sunglasses and the coat/skirt thing) Too bad she was the first to go at the shoot, I was still warming up at that point and they're my worst of the bunch.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Don't know if you want my tuppence worth or not, but I would say, depending on space you have, bring the model a bit further away from the curtain. This might just be me but I don't like it when I can see the background curtain in an image, unless it's specifically tied to the theme of the shot (like some kind of cabaret / stage performance themed image, for example).

For me, it's a bit like seeing the green screen in a movie, or what's under a wrestling ring - it's sort of not supposed to be seen. Like I said though, that may just be mostly my personal taste.

Having said that, I can see you're using some colour in the background. I would perhaps invest in a seamless background for work where you're using a splash of coloured light. Obviously, this costs and it depends how far you're going with your portraiture, but just a couple of pointers if you're looking to take it further :)

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Gazmachine posted:

Don't know if you want my tuppence worth or not, but I would say, depending on space you have, bring the model a bit further away from the curtain. This might just be me but I don't like it when I can see the background curtain in an image, unless it's specifically tied to the theme of the shot (like some kind of cabaret / stage performance themed image, for example).

For me, it's a bit like seeing the green screen in a movie, or what's under a wrestling ring - it's sort of not supposed to be seen. Like I said though, that may just be mostly my personal taste.

Having said that, I can see you're using some colour in the background. I would perhaps invest in a seamless background for work where you're using a splash of coloured light. Obviously, this costs and it depends how far you're going with your portraiture, but just a couple of pointers if you're looking to take it further :)

I disagree with this, I think the curtain makes for an interesting background, if he was shooting on seamless he'd have to shoot the light through something to get a nice effect (that he already achieved)instead of a blah background. I think a color on seamless might be better than just darkness, but it's not as good as what he has.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

AtomicManiac posted:

I disagree with this, I think the curtain makes for an interesting background, if he was shooting on seamless he'd have to shoot the light through something to get a nice effect (that he already achieved)instead of a blah background. I think a color on seamless might be better than just darkness, but it's not as good as what he has.

As I say, it's probably just a personal preference thing. I'm a curtain hater, and my personal style is to hide the idea that it was shot in a studio as much as possible. For the 3/4, a soft, blue spill from the flashgun over a seamless black would appeal to me much more.

I do like the texture of the curtain on the head and shoulders shot, though.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I am also not a big fan of the curtain, it looks kinda amateur/old fashioned. The color is nice, but competes a little heavily with the model, I keep staring at it. I agree that it needs a hair light, maybe just some more light in general. Not bad, just needs a little more oomph. Hard not to get a chick in leather holding a sword or whatever not look cheesy though...

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I definitely want to invest into one of those backdrop stands in the near future. I could either throw a roll of seamless or muslin on it. I was kinda macgyvering it with a curtain held up by soup cans that were sitting on a ledge. This being my first shoot gives me an idea of what gear I really need/want to invest in.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Does this count as a portrait?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonpeel/4921134203/

My wife with my 1 day old son. It was one of those spur of the moment pictures you just get inspiration for and go hog wild, and I think it came out really well.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jiblet posted:

My wife with my 1 day old son. It was one of those spur of the moment pictures you just get inspiration for and go hog wild, and I think it came out really well.

Sure, and a nice concept as well. I'd like to see a bit more light on the bottoms of the feet, just a reflector maybe.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Jiblet posted:

Great shot; it really works.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Jiblet posted:

I like it.

My wife got mad at me for putting this on Flickr:

August-34 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

So now I'm posting it on the forums to make her even more upset with me. :v:

I have a hell of a time taking a photo of her, any pointers for getting some shots she'll not hate right away?

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

TomR posted:

I like it.

My wife got mad at me for putting this on Flickr:

August-34 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

So now I'm posting it on the forums to make her even more upset with me. :v:

I have a hell of a time taking a photo of her, any pointers for getting some shots she'll not hate right away?

To start with, very few people are flattered by shooting their arms from the side like that. There is a shot in your stream of her kind of looking back that was nice. Basically it's about angles and directions that flatter. Honestly you're going to just have to spend time working at it. But I will say that putting up pictures that she hates online is a sure way to never being allowed to take her picture again.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

My technique is to wait until I've booked someone for a portrait session, then ask the wife to help me out as a test dummy while I adjust the lighting. That way she's not "don't take my photo oh god" and you can even throw in some cheeky direction because, hey, they're just test shots, so they don't even count or whatever.

Try it - it might still take a while but she'll get used to being the test dummy and get more comfortable in front of camera.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

My technique is to date models!

Sadly my plan hasn't gotten past coming up with that idea :(

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I think it's just a matter of not giving up. With my camera shy female friends it was just a matter of shooting them constantly and giving them a level of editorial control. You'll start to hear things like "I kinda like that one" and "That ones not so bad" then you just keep pushing those angles and ideas until you get to know what they like.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I haven't done any real up close and personal portraits in a while, so I was pretty stoked at how this one turned out. Took this with my Nikon, wide open to f1.4 if I remember right.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
I ended up grabbing a shot of my gf when we were out and about today.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

javi posted:

I ended up grabbing a shot of my gf when we were out and about today.

This is grey, when what you should be aiming for with a black and white is this..

McMadCow posted:

I haven't done any real up close and personal portraits in a while, so I was pretty stoked at how this one turned out. Took this with my Nikon, wide open to f1.4 if I remember right.

Granted this is a print, but there's so much more than goes into a black and white than just hitting "convert to grayscale". I know alot has to do with great lighting, but I would rather see something in colour than something that has just been converted for the sake of it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Had four tests last week. I learnt a lot doing them, all the people involved were really happy which was great. Anyway, I'm super nervous about posting these since the last time I posted in this thread I drat near had my day ruined by someone asking if the models hated my pictures because I made them look pregnant.

It's awesome to work with a great creative team and I really recommend getting in good with a MUA or stylist.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

My sister during a trip to Boston. I'm not sure she knew that her photo was being taken but she liked the results well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Paragon8 posted:

These two are the best, they are clean and simple with good attitude from the models. I also really like the last three, but I have a hard time objectively critiquing them because the model is too drat hot. I really don't like the first one because her hair is too over exposed, and when the texture is lost there, it's just not as pleasing to look at.