Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I had a guy block a shot high in the slot when I was already in position to save it. Long story short it literally deflected right around me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
edit: Had to go away now, sorry.

real_scud fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 27, 2010

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

gigabitnokie posted:

Poll: Has your team scored more deflection goals on the other team or on you? For me it's definitely on me :(

I gave up 19 goals in my 12 game season last season (I played 10 of the 12), and I beleive either 8 or 9 of those goals were deflected off one of my defensemen, or they screened me.

On the flip side of that, a big reason why I only gave up 19 was because they were always there to clean up the garbage, clear out anyone around the crease, and keep shots to the outside. So even though it was frustrating, the only reason I won league MVP and top goalie was really because of them anyways.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So my stick is 26". That is just paddle length right? It's not going to be ridiculous retarded for my short self at 5'6.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Surfing Turtle posted:

So my stick is 26". That is just paddle length right? It's not going to be ridiculous retarded for my short self at 5'6.
I'm 5'8" and I also play with a 26". I think you should be okay.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Hazed_blue posted:

Any tips on taping the stick or just a big butt and blade taped?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Hazed_blue posted:

gently caress that makes me think I need a larger stick. I just picked one up in the shop because I needed one and I'm pretty sure it's a 25" paddle and I'm 5'10"/5'11"

Also I finally got my Vaughn Epic 8606 and drat does it feel a helluva lot better on me than the used Brian's I've been borrowing.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Oh man goaliemonkey has their 15% off sale going on right now.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Surfing Turtle posted:

Oh man goaliemonkey has their 15% off sale going on right now.
They have sales every weekend. It's so badass.

The only goal I let in last night was a stinker. This guy was coming in off the wing, my D played him nicely and got him to the outside. So he's coming in with puck almost straight along the blue line. I put my paddle down, perpindicular to the goal line. Make the first stop easy, it hits the paddle, but I lose my grip on the stick. That's ok, though, because the puck is floating around the front of the net, let me just get my glove on it. As I'm going down to freeze it, the stick somehow gets on top of the puck. I try to cover anyways because I think I got it. Nope. It apparently slips out from under the stick, and I think it went directly in.

I didn't see it because I thought I had it and I have a black stick so I didn't see the puck squirt out. This is why I try to buy white-base stuff. I know that people think it's dull and boring, but I think if it helps me see the puck, that's justification enough. I kinda want to spray paint my sticks. I don't think it'll work, because it probably won't take over the fiberglass/what not and I don't want to sand that off.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 28, 2010

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

coldwind posted:

They have sales every weekend. It's so badass.

The only goal I let in last night was a stinker. This guy was coming in off the wing, my D played him nicely and got him to the outside. So he's coming in with puck almost straight along the blue line. I put my paddle down, perpindicular to the goal line. Make the first stop easy, it hits the paddle, but I lose my grip on the stick. That's ok, though, because the puck is floating around the front of the net, let me just get my glove on it. As I'm going down to freeze it, the stick somehow gets on top of the puck. I try to cover anyways because I think I got it. Nope. It apparently slips out from under the stick, and I think it went directly in.

I didn't see it because I thought I had it and I have a black stick so I didn't see the puck squirt out. This is why I try to buy white-base stuff. I know that people think it's dull and boring, but I think if it helps me see the puck, that's justification enough. I kinda want to spray paint my sticks. I don't think it'll work, because it probably won't take over the fiberglass/what not and I don't want to sand that off.

I got the RBK 3K stick cause it was white (and cheap!). The blade is black but I put white tape on there too lol. I wish I had seen the 15% off sale though I would've bought a 3pack for like 100 bucks.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Surfing Turtle posted:

Any tips on taping the stick or just a big butt and blade taped?

I use these on the butts of my sticks:

http://www.hockeygiant.com/tkmglgrp.html

5-minute application, lasts all year. As for the blade, tape it toe to heel. Not particularly complicated. There are blade stickers for goalie sticks too, but I haven't tried one yet. I did however recently start using stick wax and found that it indeed does a really good job of keeping the tape from getting saturated with water.

Finally, some people tape the handle at the paddle for more grip, some don't. It's a matter of preference. I used a modified Tacki Mac for that area too, and although it's a pain and the rear end to pull it down there, I like it a lot since I can hold the stick more loosely and it's gentler on my glove. Again, just a personal preference.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Surfing Turtle posted:

Paddle measurement is such an arbitrary thing. I have a 28" Sherwood, 26" TPS and 27" Bauer, all identical. I don't buy a stick until I go to the store with one of my mains and measure it for size. It's like going to Eddie Bauer and buying pants that are two inches wider than all my other pants because apparently they use different inches.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Surfing Turtle posted:

I had a guy block a shot high in the slot when I was already in position to save it. Long story short it literally deflected right around me.

This happens to me so much and I want to throttle the people that do it. No you shithead, I don't want you to stand 5-10 feet off the shooter but still in the shooting lane; he's going to shoot it right around you and you're going to do loving nothing except deflect the shot (but not enough that it will be a remotely useful block) or screen me. Or more likely, both. Get out of the loving way or stand no more than 2 feet from the puck in the lane to the net. GOD drat IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Last night, guy takes a decently hard slapshot from the left boards. I'm ready to make a glove save and halfway towards my glove it turns on its side, takes a wicked turn and goes 6-8 inches left of where it should have went, going in the net. I've never seen a shot bend like that, was almost like the bend on a soccer shot. Does this happen very often to anyone else? Hopefully now that I've seen a puck do this I won't be like a deer in headlights and I'll actually react properly next time.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Gruven posted:

Last night, guy takes a decently hard slapshot from the left boards. I'm ready to make a glove save and halfway towards my glove it turns on its side, takes a wicked turn and goes 6-8 inches left of where it should have went, going in the net. I've never seen a shot bend like that, was almost like the bend on a soccer shot. Does this happen very often to anyone else? Hopefully now that I've seen a puck do this I won't be like a deer in headlights and I'll actually react properly next time.

That sounds like he whipped it along the blade of his stick pretty good during his follow through. Never seen a slapshot do that before though only like a wrister.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Surfing Turtle posted:

Anyone selling an extra set of leg pads that are 32"? I just realized I need another set to use for the street when I play roller at the local rink here. I don't want to chew up these Itechs I actually like them a lot.

I have a set of these if you're interested...they're 32"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

sba posted:

I have a set of these if you're interested...they're 32"

Which prodigy series are those? How much are you looking for?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Surfing Turtle posted:

Which prodigy series are those? How much are you looking for?

They're 4.8's and I have no idea...feel free to make an offer! I have no idea what it'll cost to ship them, so figure that in, but I'm moving soon and the less I have to take with me, the better! Plus you know, SAS goalie solidarity and all.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

sba posted:

They're 4.8's and I have no idea...feel free to make an offer! I have no idea what it'll cost to ship them, so figure that in, but I'm moving soon and the less I have to take with me, the better! Plus you know, SAS goalie solidarity and all.

What is your email?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
coring at gmail

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Gruven posted:

Sounds like a shot you'd see in ball roller/deck. Shots move like crazy with those orange balls.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sba posted:

but I'm moving soon

And so the SAS goalie game in s. ont dream dies :(

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So do most people remove the thigh boards from their leg pads?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Surprisingly, most people I know don't.

Me? That's the first thing I remove. But I wear separate knee pads. I played without any extra knee protection for the longest time and it wasn't until I took a slapper right to the side of the exposed knee that I decided against it.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Me? That's the first thing I remove. But I wear separate knee pads. I played without any extra knee protection for the longest time and it wasn't until I took a slapper right to the side of the exposed knee that I decided against it.

Another stupid question but they go on top of the pants not under them right?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

Same here. I can't stand the thigh boards, but I always wear knee pads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Surfing Turtle posted:

I think they're supposed to go over the pants so they can flop around freely-ish. In reality what happens is that they get caught under your pants and aggravate you so much that you wait until the first period is over, get off the ice, walk out to the pro shop and ask if they have scissors you can borrow to cut them off there and then.

True story.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I think they're supposed to go over the pants so they can flop around freely-ish. In reality what happens is that they get caught under your pants and aggravate you so much that you wait until the first period is over, get off the ice, walk out to the pro shop and ask if they have scissors you can borrow to cut them off there and then.

True story.

They are a little annoying. Hm I'm torn!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm just one guy though. They seem to work fine for so many people that I can't honestly say take them off or don't. It'll be a personal decision. If you do take them off, make sure you get some proper kneepads though. If you're not looking to spend more money at the moment, probably consider keeping them affixed.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

So do most people remove the thigh boards from their leg pads?

I took off the flat thigh boards on my old pads, because they would always get caught in my goalie pants and were more trouble than they were worth. I do however like the newer thigh guards, which wrap around your thighs and don't get caught up in your goalie pants. I actually wear both thigh guards and knee pads, which is probably overkill, but it works.

In unrelated news, I'm finally able to squat without pain and I have most of the flexibility back in my knee now. I'm going to the gym later today to see how it fairs after some cardio and my regular stretching routine. As long as I don't have any surprises, then I should be just about ready to return. I'm still going to skip hockey on Tuesday this week, but after that I should be ready to go. I guess the lesson I've learned from this is that when I hurt my knee, I am better off resting than trying to play through it and potentially aggravating the injury, since I ended up missing more time than if I had simply just rested in the first place.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 29, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I should add that there was one pair of CCM pads that I tried on that had the best thigh pads ever. They wrapped around your knees and velcroed behind them and generally stayed where they should. I would weak those thigh boards over my knee pads 100/100 times if I could.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Surfing Turtle posted:

They are a little annoying. Hm I'm torn!

Try running the elastic straps for the thigh boards up through the front of your suspenders. Once I did that, they stopped getting caught on my pants.

I've still taken a few shots off of exposed bits of knee but I'm not smart enough to get knee pads.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

Same here. I can't stand the thigh boards, but I always wear knee pads.

Ha! Do you mean thigh boards? Or THIGH BOARDS?

They were initially annoying but it was also the first time I ever wore pads so I didn't know any better. Any now I don't even notice them. I wear knee pads underneath them (they're integrated into the pants) and keep the elastic of the boards really loose, so I actually never experience them getting caught in anything now. They save me goals. And I like that.

On a related note, got my 6th shutout of the season today. :toot:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Hazed_Red posted:

Ha! Do you mean thigh boards? Or THIGH BOARDS?

They were initially annoying but it was also the first time I ever wore pads so I didn't know any better. Any now I don't even notice them. I wear knee pads underneath them (they're integrated into the pants) and keep the elastic of the boards really loose, so I actually never experience them getting caught in anything now. They save me goals. And I like that.

On a related note, got my 6th shutout of the season today. :toot:

LOL wow those are really high up on you. Mine don't go past the waist.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
I didn't like them at first. With those pads you have now, they did tend to get caught in my pants a lot. Of course, now that I have proper length pads, I don't get any catching in my pants, so it's all good.

If they get caught in your pants and that bothers you, then you should switch. Otherwise, I don't think there's a point in switching. I feel that the form-fitting ones don't offer any advantage besides comfort.

People say thigh boards stop pucks for them, but I don't get it. If the puck hits you in the thigh boards, you would have stopped the shot without them, it just would have hurt a lot.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Surfing Turtle posted:

I wear mine under my pants.
In general, for nearly anything you wear, I've found that a large amount of the things you do that people tell you are the "wrong way" are really just, "not the way I do it." Whatever's comfortable.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I love the thigh boards in my Prodigy 9.8s. They're my only knee protection, and they definitely do the job when I'm in narrow butterfly and whatnot. I've never taken a shot to the knee.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

coldwind posted:

People say thigh boards stop pucks for them, but I don't get it. If the puck hits you in the thigh boards, you would have stopped the shot without them, it just would have hurt a lot.

It offers a non-negligible amount of additional coverage outside the knee on both sides and above the top of the pad, depending on the size. The real benefit though comes from the fact that the puck is striking a flat surface and is much more likely to drop in front of you rather than deflect around your leg.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

And so the SAS goalie game in s. ont dream dies :(

Nah, still in Buffalo :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I assumed you were moving to wacky world.

• Locked thread