Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Comrade Quack posted:

Did you mention any of this at the vet while she was getting her nails clipped?

I'd try taking the lid off the box if you can, sometimes that helps the box smell less (inside the box). You might also try putting another box in a different spot or moving the box, in case it's something about the location. You might also want to try scooping more frequently - as I was just mentioning my cat is picky, I get dirty looks sometimes despite the fact I have two boxes for one cat and I scoop them every 12 hours or so.

Also I would be surprised if the Febreze is actually cleaning up the smell all the way. Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean your cat can't. I would try something enzymatic and actually labeled for cat waste. If there was ever cat urine on the bed I'd recommend a professional cleaning.

I didn't mention it to the vet, probably because she hadn't done it recently at that point. Like I said, there is no rhyme or reason to it. It's weird. I'll try taking the lid off of the box. Really, the only reason we got a covered box was because she would spend 20 minutes scratching up everything around the box, but not cover her poop at all, and then the whole kitchen would smell terrible because her poop wasn't covered. I've thought about moving it, but we live in a very small house and there isn't any other good spot to put it except it's current location in the kitchen. We could try moving it to the den, but then if she didn't poo poo in the litter box, she'd be making GBS threads on carpet instead of tile and that's a lot more clean up work.

She's never urinated outside of the box, just pooped. I will look into getting some enzymatic cleaner though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
Good news! My kitty ate and drank, after I mixed in some crappy Friskies in with her Orijen. And I caught her drinking water! Ahh...the little things. Still worried about litter box usage though, Not sure if I should get a bigger box for her or get an uncovered one...

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Skutter posted:

I didn't mention it to the vet, probably because she hadn't done it recently at that point. Like I said, there is no rhyme or reason to it. It's weird. I'll try taking the lid off of the box. Really, the only reason we got a covered box was because she would spend 20 minutes scratching up everything around the box, but not cover her poop at all, and then the whole kitchen would smell terrible because her poop wasn't covered. I've thought about moving it, but we live in a very small house and there isn't any other good spot to put it except it's current location in the kitchen. We could try moving it to the den, but then if she didn't poo poo in the litter box, she'd be making GBS threads on carpet instead of tile and that's a lot more clean up work.

She's never urinated outside of the box, just pooped. I will look into getting some enzymatic cleaner though. Thanks for the suggestions.

You could also try getting a second litter box, or sometimes (like dogs) cats will do this when they need their anal glands expressed.

edit: Comrade Quack: We've had a Litter Robot for 8 years and kept it in a closet for 4 of those and it has never left anything smelly. These were pretty big closets though. Just make sure to empty the drawer once a week at the very least. My husband also sprinkles baking soda in the drawer.

Congrats! It's a loving awesome purchase. It's hard to get people to understand how it's worth that much money, but we've had one be completely replaced for free after 4 years, the customer service is so good. Also, not having to clean the litter box is awesome. We have a super super picky cat and she will pee outside the litter box if it's dirty in the least, so this thing was a Godsend. (yeah we've xrayed her and ultrasounded her and tested her and it's just behavioral)

Also, we have 3 cats that share 1 robot with no problems.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 27, 2010

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Soooo a very, very tiny stray kitten has appeared in my backyard...

It is even smaller than my cat that I got as a really young kitten and seems to be trying to treat my cat as a surrogate mother/buddy. Not that my cat approves. HOWEVER my parents have seen it (it is quite beautiful, sort of a cheetah and tiger pattern of gold dust and grey) and are keen on it. I, being a softy for all things small and furry told them I would help them get him/her so they can take it to the vet.

Does anyone have any advice on how to coax a kitten? I've never tried to catch a stray. It is rather skittish, but a bit of food and milk seems to have made it less anxious around me. My brief contact with it in my first attempt at picking it up make me think it is at the very least dehydrated from this weather. Really, I'm worried the little thing is going to up and overheat or get sick and wander off.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Synnr posted:

Soooo a very, very tiny stray kitten has appeared in my backyard...

It is even smaller than my cat that I got as a really young kitten and seems to be trying to treat my cat as a surrogate mother/buddy. Not that my cat approves. HOWEVER my parents have seen it (it is quite beautiful, sort of a cheetah and tiger pattern of gold dust and grey) and are keen on it. I, being a softy for all things small and furry told them I would help them get him/her so they can take it to the vet.

Does anyone have any advice on how to coax a kitten? I've never tried to catch a stray. It is rather skittish, but a bit of food and milk seems to have made it less anxious around me. My brief contact with it in my first attempt at picking it up make me think it is at the very least dehydrated from this weather. Really, I'm worried the little thing is going to up and overheat or get sick and wander off.
You can try to tame it with tasty food and see if you can grab it eventually, but the quicker/easier way would be to get a humane trap. You can typically rent one from a humane society, cat rescue group (check petfinder), or feed store. You will want to specify that it's for a kitten because if it's really tiny, it may not be heavy enough to trip the mechanism in a full-sized trap.

Once it's trapped, it's best to keep the kitten in a tiny room like a bathroom or closet where you can handle it easily for a few weeks. Feral/stray kittens tend to become comfortable with people pretty quickly if you keep them in a place where they can't get away from you (i.e. go under a bed) so you can handle them several times per day without having to chase them around.

Don't give cats/kittens cow's milk -- it will only upset their tummies. I would get some stinky canned catfood to lure it, which will also help with possible dehydration. I would also be prepared to take it to a vet as soon as you get it, especially if it's tiny and thin. It's very likely it has worms and fleas, and may have something more serious, too.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
Soo....I think my new kitty already has an eye infection. It's pretty goopy, she squints it a lot, and keeps on shaking her head like she's annoyed. Think it's okay to wait for a Monday morning vet visit or should I try to get something sooner?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Shebrew posted:

Soo....I think my new kitty already has an eye infection. It's pretty goopy, she squints it a lot, and keeps on shaking her head like she's annoyed. Think it's okay to wait for a Monday morning vet visit or should I try to get something sooner?
Can you get an appointment somewhere today or tomorrow morning? It will probably be fine if you wait until Monday, but I'm always really reluctant to advise anyone to wait on an eye problem because eyes can get pretty horrible and permanent damage can be done. If I were you, I'd probably try to get an appointment today or tomorrow, even if it wasn't at my normal vet clinic, rather than waiting. She most likely just needs some antibiotic eyedrops, and if you start them today, she could be 100% better by Monday.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
Alright, switched to tomorrow at 1:45. Poor kitty :(

Shebrew fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 27, 2010

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Crooked Booty posted:

You can try to tame it with tasty food and see if you can grab it eventually, but the quicker/easier way would be to get a humane trap. You can typically rent one from a humane society, cat rescue group (check petfinder), or feed store. You will want to specify that it's for a kitten because if it's really tiny, it may not be heavy enough to trip the mechanism in a full-sized trap.

Once it's trapped, it's best to keep the kitten in a tiny room like a bathroom or closet where you can handle it easily for a few weeks. Feral/stray kittens tend to become comfortable with people pretty quickly if you keep them in a place where they can't get away from you (i.e. go under a bed) so you can handle them several times per day without having to chase them around.

Don't give cats/kittens cow's milk -- it will only upset their tummies. I would get some stinky canned catfood to lure it, which will also help with possible dehydration. I would also be prepared to take it to a vet as soon as you get it, especially if it's tiny and thin. It's very likely it has worms and fleas, and may have something more serious, too.

Well I "caught" the little guy this morning and took him into the vet. He was hiding under my patio table. Clean other than some fleas, though dehydrated and a bit malnourished. Doc says he is probably just at 8 weeks, so he was around 5 1/2 or 6 when he first showed up. I'm stuffing him full of goodies and I guess I'll have to cage him in the room with me so my cat doesn't spaz.

I was always told to just introduce a new animal in a cage so the others can sniff around and get used to it. Was I misled? My cat seems a bit...agitated by the little guy.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Shebrew posted:

Alright, switched to tomorrow at 1:45. Poor kitty :(

I was just at the vet again with an eye infection. I feel for you.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Synnr posted:

I was always told to just introduce a new animal in a cage so the others can sniff around and get used to it. Was I misled? My cat seems a bit...agitated by the little guy.

Read the OP a bit on introducing cats. With a little babby kitten it shouldn't be too bad, since it's not really a threat to the existing hierarchy. Expect some hissing & batting about, but you don't really have any problems till blood is drawn.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Read the OP a bit on introducing cats. With a little babby kitten it shouldn't be too bad, since it's not really a threat to the existing hierarchy. Expect some hissing & batting about, but you don't really have any problems till blood is drawn.

Derp, I think that is where I actually read it before and blanked on it since. Thanks!

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

ChairmanMeow posted:

I was just at the vet again with an eye infection. I feel for you.

I just got her Wednesday and she's already sick. I'm the worst kitty mom ever. :(

I keep on rotating between wondering if I made a mistake in adopting her because I'll just wind up being in over my head and being totally in love with her. Anyone else get that kind of weird post-adoption depression or am I just weird?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Shebrew posted:

I just got her Wednesday and she's already sick. I'm the worst kitty mom ever. :(

I keep on rotating between wondering if I made a mistake in adopting her because I'll just wind up being in over my head and being totally in love with her. Anyone else get that kind of weird post-adoption depression or am I just weird?
It is soooooo common for cats to break with eye or upper respiratory symptoms right before or after adoption. At every clinic where I've worked, it has been standard procedure to assume that every "healthy" cat coming for a checkup right after being adopted from a shelter is contagious with URI or kitty herpes or whatever, and to quarantine and disinfect accordingly. Stressed cats + germs = URIs and goopy eyes. It is totally not you!

I think most people go through the weird adoption depression thing, too. My mom just adopted a new dog a couple weeks ago, and it's funny to observe it from the outside. She was saying ridiculous stuff like "What if I figure out that this dog isn't as cute as I thought it was the other day?" (as if pet-lovers don't always think their ugly-rear end pet is the cutest thing ever and getting cuter every day because they know their personality and love them and blah blah). She was also convinced that her other dog was totally depressed and feeling betrayed when the dog clearly gave no gently caress. She also kept talking about how the old dog was probably going to die within a few days because the dog knew she had been replaced. That was a few weeks ago, and now my mom is acting like a normal person again and loves the new dog. Anyway that was kind of off-topic, but the point is that I think when people who really love pets get new pets, it's pretty common to go a little crazy with the what-if's. :)

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Both of my cats had eye infections when I got them. One was a semi-feral. About a week in I wondered why out of thousands of cats did I get sick ones, much less one who apparently hated me. Ghost is everything to me now. As unhealthy as that is, she is probably the most important thing in my life, I have no regrets, but I do have frustrations and man do I understand thinking I got in over my head.
With her drat eyes, the vet yesterday said with eye herpes they normally break out less as the cat gets older, so that's something to look forward to!

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Crooked Booty posted:

It is soooooo common for cats to break with eye or upper respiratory symptoms right before or after adoption. At every clinic where I've worked, it has been standard procedure to assume that every "healthy" cat coming for a checkup right after being adopted from a shelter is contagious with URI or kitty herpes or whatever, and to quarantine and disinfect accordingly. Stressed cats + germs = URIs and goopy eyes. It is totally not you!

I think most people go through the weird adoption depression thing, too. My mom just adopted a new dog a couple weeks ago, and it's funny to observe it from the outside. She was saying ridiculous stuff like "What if I figure out that this dog isn't as cute as I thought it was the other day?" (as if pet-lovers don't always think their ugly-rear end pet is the cutest thing ever and getting cuter every day because they know their personality and love them and blah blah). She was also convinced that her other dog was totally depressed and feeling betrayed when the dog clearly gave no gently caress. She also kept talking about how the old dog was probably going to die within a few days because the dog knew she had been replaced. That was a few weeks ago, and now my mom is acting like a normal person again and loves the new dog. Anyway that was kind of off-topic, but the point is that I think when people who really love pets get new pets, it's pretty common to go a little crazy with the what-if's. :)

That's good to know, I hope that her eye infection goes away soon! It makes me so sad to see her like this. :( On the plus side, I've been calling her "Pirate Po" all day.

I certainly love her already and am glad to know that post-adoption depression isn't unique to me. One minute she'll be grooming my hair at 6 AM and I'll wonder if I'd have been better off without a cat, then she'll curl up next to me and purr and I'll think she's the cutest thing ever :3:

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.
Scooter
- Age - 1 year or so
- Sex - Male
- How long have you had your cat? - 2 weeks
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? - Yes
- What food do you use? - Iams
- When was your last vet visit? - Few months ago (previous owner)
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? - Indoors
- How many pets in your household? - 1
- How many litter boxes do you have? - 1

Me and my fiance recently adopted this little orange bastard. He's pretty cool most of the time but has a serious case of the night crazies. No matter how much I try to play with him to tire him out during the afternoon and evening he just goes ballistic at night for like two hours. It's like clockwork, same time every night. Do cats ever grow out of this, even a little? It's pretty funny until you realize you have to get up for work in 2 hours and the cat is still tearing rear end around the apartment. I realize cats are nocturnal but I never realized they were batshit insane.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

sailorjosh posted:

Scooter
- Age - 1 year or so
- Sex - Male
- How long have you had your cat? - 2 weeks
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? - Yes
- What food do you use? - Iams
- When was your last vet visit? - Few months ago (previous owner)
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? - Indoors
- How many pets in your household? - 1
- How many litter boxes do you have? - 1

Me and my fiance recently adopted this little orange bastard. He's pretty cool most of the time but has a serious case of the night crazies. No matter how much I try to play with him to tire him out during the afternoon and evening he just goes ballistic at night for like two hours. It's like clockwork, same time every night. Do cats ever grow out of this, even a little? It's pretty funny until you realize you have to get up for work in 2 hours and the cat is still tearing rear end around the apartment. I realize cats are nocturnal but I never realized they were batshit insane.

Well, he's still pretty young so he might grow out of it a little bit, but for the most part, cats are batshit insane. A 2nd cat will help entertain him throughout the day, and playing with him as much as possible will help as well. I'm fond of a game I call "Up Down" where I make the cat climb up to the top of the 6-foot cat tree to chase the toy and then back down, repeat ad nauseam. This also works on the bed mattress, to a lesser extent.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
The vet told me that I need to watch and make sure my cat's gums dont become all red (because the gums along the smallest teeth in the front are pretty red). But how do I treat this gingivitis? He seems to be eating fine and everything, though I noticed he tends to stick his lip out, I guess cause his gums are bothering him.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Ok, I have quite the problem. I've got to get rid of one of my cats. I've had the pair for less than two months, so this is close to the best time for this to happen.

The story: My girlfriend and I adopted two cats together. Although she doesn't live here with me (the cats do) they both know and trust her well. She lives about an hour away because of her job and because her dad needs taken care of. So we prefaced this cat venture in that these were her cats. Well when these cats were having issues we said as a last resort one would go to her dad's house. I wasn't sure if I would be a cat person, nor was I sure the cats would work out. This week he had a bad stroke. He's had a history of seizures (only 58 years old, but this one was pretty bad). He's suffered some minor brain damage and is basically now forced to retire. Now he wants one of the cats! After this week and my offer still standing (I never thought it would actually come to that), I can't say no to the man.

The cats:

Both are female, one is just over 8 months and the other around ten months. Approximately, that is. I was having trouble in that the younger one was being bullied by the older cat. It's gotten better for sure since she's a lot more assertive now. I'd say she's a bitskittish, but it's not really as bad as that in that it's more that she likes to do her own thing. The older one won't let her become a lap cat but she's enjoyed a fit sittings in my lap. She just hates being picked up and stuff like that. She plays when the toys come out, gets bored first, and wants nothing to with the other cat chasing her around. She runs and hisses, but they rarely actually go at it really hard. She has plenty of energy but seems to perfer to burn it off herself between play sessions running around like a kitten attacking toys and scratching posts.

The other is more of a lap cat with too much energy. She sleeps with me every night and lays down by or on me when I'm on the couch, but when she gets worked up its darn near impossible to get her tired out or turn her off switch over to settle down. She is still very loving, just a brat. They tolerate each other, but no kitten piles are in the future. She chases the other around when she's bored and causes her to hiss. If of any of them, I'd put my money on her being the best for him since she'll probably sit around and watch tv with him and be more available.

But this isn't easy, and I can't decide which to give him, as I love them both. I've grown attached even though it hasn't been two months, yet I know this is still the best time to get them resettled. I've proposed the "joint package" deal where they both go, and just starting fresh. I think that would hurt less. I didn't exactly pick the two most compatible pair around, so I don't think one would be in agony to see the other go.

Really, I'm just trying to pick the one that would be easiest to repair with since I don't think this "package deal" will probably be in the cards.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Why don't you just help him to adopt his own cat? There are millions that need homes. That seems the best solution to me. Find a grown cat for him. Then everyone is happy and one more kitty is saved.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

RheaConfused posted:

Why don't you just help him to adopt his own cat? There are millions that need homes. That seems the best solution to me. Find a grown cat for him. Then everyone is happy and one more kitty is saved.

I know, and I plan on adopting a cat to replace my loss either way. But since my girlfriend lives there, she wants to keep at least one of her cats.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

invalid posted:

I know, and I plan on adopting a cat to replace my loss either way. But since my girlfriend lives there, she wants to keep at least one of her cats.

That's silly. She needs to realize that your two cats are already adjusted and bonded (even if sometimes it doesn't seem so). Neither of them needs the trauma of being moved again so soon. It's a bit selfish of her, to be honest. PLUS besides stressing out the cat you choose to move you will stress out the cat you keep with a new cat and it's all for no reason. And whose cat will the THIRD cat be?

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

RheaConfused posted:

That's silly. She needs to realize that your two cats are already adjusted and bonded (even if sometimes it doesn't seem so). Neither of them needs the trauma of being moved again so soon. It's a bit selfish of her, to be honest. PLUS besides stressing out the cat you choose to move you will stress out the cat you keep with a new cat and it's all for no reason. And whose cat will the THIRD cat be?

I don't think it's silly. It's been less than 6 weeks and the cats hardly seem bonded. I think it'd be more selfish to keep a pair who barely seem to tolerate each other (see my older posts here) as well as tell her that she can't keep one of her cats, as well as her sick dad to gently caress himself on an offer I made a while ago.

I think it's the best scenario to rehome while it's still early and find a better match for the other.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Maximusi posted:

The vet told me that I need to watch and make sure my cat's gums dont become all red (because the gums along the smallest teeth in the front are pretty red). But how do I treat this gingivitis? He seems to be eating fine and everything, though I noticed he tends to stick his lip out, I guess cause his gums are bothering him.

Um the vet didn't offer you anything to treat the gingivitis with? Or any sort of tooth care? He probably should've if it warranted treatment.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

invalid posted:

I don't think it's silly. It's been less than 6 weeks and the cats hardly seem bonded. I think it'd be more selfish to keep a pair who barely seem to tolerate each other (see my older posts here) as well as tell her that she can't keep one of her cats, as well as her sick dad to gently caress himself on an offer I made a while ago.

I think it's the best scenario to rehome while it's still early and find a better match for the other.

It hasn't been long enough for them to be all cuddly wuddly. You admit that they have made definite progress. It will stress them both out and that is the bottom line, especially throwing a new cat into the mix for the one you keep. And if you give him the skittish one it will stress her out majorly, as well as if you keep the skittish one and throw in a new cat. No one told you to tell her sick dad to gently caress himself. You are being a bit outlandish. I'm trying to give you advice as to what is best for the cats, but I guess that's not what you wanted.

Besides, there is no way to judge whether you are 'finding a better match for the other' when it comes to shelter cats. You can't judge how they are going to be in a home from the way they have acted in a shelter.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
I suppose I am, but perhaps skittish is the wrong word. She's just scared of the other cat. They've come a long, but up until a week and a half ago I was keeping them seperated.

I figured this would be best for both the cats and the people.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

invalid posted:

I suppose I am, but perhaps skittish is the wrong word. She's just scared of the other cat. They've come a long, but up until a week and a half ago I was keeping them seperated.

It's just a lot of change in a short period of time, especially as most cats aren't good with change. I still don't understand why your girlfriend's father can't get his own cat and needs to take one of yours when you clearly want to keep them. He's sick and probably wants a companion, but why does it have to be one of your cats when that was only ever a back-up plan?

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007

invalid posted:

The other thing that was briefly touched upon was getting an adult cat for her father. An adult cat would be much better suited for his situation. They demand less attention, have less energy, and (depending on the cat) are more willing to just chill. That way he would also be able to help pick one out himself and feel that connection from the get go. Is this more about your girlfriend having one of her cats there since she will be spending more time at his house or for finding him a companion for comfort? No one is saying her father doesn't deserve a cat, it just seems like there are better options than splitting up your two kitties.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
I have to clear this up in that it's not for her father. He just wants a cat as well, and my girlfriend lives there. It's still going to be her cat she's taking care of (except Friday and Saturday nights).

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

invalid posted:

Now he wants one of the cats! After this week and my offer still standing (I never thought it would actually come to that), I can't say no to the man...

But this isn't easy, and I can't decide which to give him...

Uh, ok. So why talk about him at all then? You are being very unclear. Basically, your girlfriend wants to move one of her cats. And you are going to replace it. This is a weird situation all around. She should do what is best for the cats and unless this is a permanent move this isn't it. This is the worst situation to be in and really not the mature approach. Anyone here would agree, I think, that adopting two cats that aren't "yours" when you two don't live together was a bad idea, and now it is only getting worse.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 28, 2010

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Hey! I have more kitty concerns, though its probably nothing. My kitty, Robert Meachem, will sometimes pant (like a dog!) after excessive playing. Is it bad to play with her to this point? I've been trying to tire her out in the evenings, and I got an awesome cat...fishing pole thing, with a lure of big feathers and a jingle bell and well...she just loves it. She loves it! It's like she cannot resist chasing it, and will do so until shes absolutely pooped.

I've read some stuff about kitties panting from a Google search, and some of them sounded a little scary. Should I get my kitty checked out? She's slightly less than a year old, and doesn't ever pant, other than after a lot of play.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I feel that panting after an intense play session is not something to panic over, but it's something you should try to avoid. So just make playtime a little shorter, and make sure she has a resting break every so often. She's young and she just can't regulate herself, so you have to do it for her.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

RheaConfused posted:

Uh, ok. So why talk about him at all then? You are being very unclear. Basically, your girlfriend wants to move one of her cats. And you are going to replace it. This is a weird situation all around. She should do what is best for the cats and unless this is a permanent move this isn't it. This is the worst situation to be in and really not the mature approach. Anyone here would agree, I think, that adopting two cats that aren't "yours" when you two don't live together was a bad idea, and now it is only getting worse.

Well, they're "our" cats, but more specifically mine. I know that makes sense but the deal was if I couldn't handle owning them since I've never been a pet guy, they'd go to her house. I should be more clear, I agree.

However, still don't see moving one to her house as the worst thing to do. Hell, I'm moving to a new apartment a couple months, then a new house later this year. How is that worse?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

invalid posted:

Well, they're "our" cats, but more specifically mine. I know that makes sense but the deal was if I couldn't handle owning them since I've never been a pet guy, they'd go to her house. I should be more clear, I agree.

However, still don't see moving one to her house as the worst thing to do. Hell, I'm moving to a new apartment a couple months, then a new house later this year. How is that worse?

You clearly aren't really listening to anyone in this thread anyway but yes, swapping in new cats AND moving frequently is a lot worse than just moving two cats around that know each other. Since you really think a guy that just had a stroke needs a stressed-out 8-month old hyperactive kitten in his life that has no one to play with, you should wait until you complete all these moves before you get a second cat for yourself.

gowb posted:

Hey! I have more kitty concerns, though its probably nothing. My kitty, Robert Meachem, will sometimes pant (like a dog!) after excessive playing. Is it bad to play with her to this point? I've been trying to tire her out in the evenings, and I got an awesome cat...fishing pole thing, with a lure of big feathers and a jingle bell and well...she just loves it. She loves it! It's like she cannot resist chasing it, and will do so until shes absolutely pooped.

I've read some stuff about kitties panting from a Google search, and some of them sounded a little scary. Should I get my kitty checked out? She's slightly less than a year old, and doesn't ever pant, other than after a lot of play.

My cats will do the same thing sometimes. Cats are dumb and crazy and will keep playing even after they are exhausted. Once they start getting really really tired like that you should just put the toy away for a bit.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
So, Po has an eye infection and we now have the oh so fun process of me having to put goo into eye every day for 10 days. You can imagine the fun.

I'm still a little worried about how much she's eating. I've been mixing Friskies and Orijen, and I think whenever she does eat it's mostly the Friskies that she picks out. Any advice?

Also, she seems to love to make a point of ignoring all the fun toys and stuff that I bought for her :(

Pictures of Tampopo for thanks for all the advice:

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.
Toe fluff!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Vet-Solutions-Viralys-L-Lysine-Powder/dp/B0013LLHW0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
for my sweet herpes head. I thought I was done with her eye infections, but alas I am not. She is an amazingly hard to medicate cat and normally knows if I hide anything in her food and won't ever touch that type of food again, but she actually doesn't know when I mix this powder in. Stress seems to bring on her pink eye and the doctor thinks this helps. I still have to do the eye cream also though, but anything that helps.
Good Luck.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

ChairmanMeow posted:

I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Vet-Solutions-Viralys-L-Lysine-Powder/dp/B0013LLHW0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
for my sweet herpes head. I thought I was done with her eye infections, but alas I am not. She is an amazingly hard to medicate cat and normally knows if I hide anything in her food and won't ever touch that type of food again, but she actually doesn't know when I mix this powder in. Stress seems to bring on her pink eye and the doctor thinks this helps. I still have to do the eye cream also though, but anything that helps.
Good Luck.

I have her on Neo-Poly-Bac. It's a pain to put in, but she seems better since I started her on it yesterday. Less squinty and gooey.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Victor Nightingale fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Victor Nightingale posted:

Or maybe your cat can't bury his poo poo when half the litter is solidified pee. Or maybe he just doesn't want to step in his own excrement.

Scoop your box every day or get an automatic litter box. :barf: I bet your apartment smells like rear end.