Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Archr5 posted:

and Filoni thought for a minute and said (paraphrasing) "Ok so let me start here, Anakin isn't a "Bad guy" necessarily, He's been led to believe that the Republic is being attacked by the Jedi and that his allegiances need to switch to protect the greater good... so just because he ultimately chooses the dark side, he doesn't "become evil" all at once."
The first thing Anakin does when he turns to the dark side is hack off Mace Windu's arm and let the Emperor kill him.
The second thing Anakin does is slaughter a large group of children.

Even if you're paraphrasing inaccurately, the idea is idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

T-1000 posted:

The first thing Anakin does when he turns to the dark side is hack off Mace Windu's arm and let the Emperor kill him.
The second thing Anakin does is slaughter a large group of children.

Even if you're paraphrasing inaccurately, the idea is idiotic.

Yeah the idea of Anakin "slowly descending" into the Dark Side is one of the most retarded things you could say about the prequels. It's more like he spazzed out.

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I just started reading the X wing series again and I noticed something that still bothers me.

Super Star Destroyers.... They are built up in these books to be these unstoppable death machines but in all the books they are destroyed pretty handily (over 1-2 pages) with a few volleys of torpedos. They do this to a lesser extent with regular star destroyers.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I haven't read the books in a while but weren't they only taken down when outnumbered and without fighters?

e: and in weird circumstances like that suicide A-wing and when the Falcon kills the Iron Fist

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

The Executor was killed with an assault on its shield generators and a suicidal A-Wing pilot. Corrupter (Victory II, Bacta War) is taken down by torpedo fire (which it survives) and torpedoes to the bridge (which it doesn't). Lusankya is heavily damaged but not killed in a lengthy engagement involving a dozen X-Wings directing fire for who knows how many torpedo-armed freighters, three squadrons of late-arriving A-Wings, two star destroyers and a war cruiser.

Moving on into Wraith Squadron, a simultaneous pair of sneak attacks on Implacable destroy the bridge & shield generators as well as open a gaping hole in the armor protecting the power cells; a lone X-Wing wandering into that hole and having a little fun kills the ship...everyone else was too busy dogfighting 2:1 odds. Razor's Kiss is put down by fire from multiple bomber squadrons and capital ships after its shields are destroyed. Nothing particularly remarkable about any of the kills in Solo Command. Krennel and his ship are killed or neutralized by a stray concussion missile to the bridge, and then multiple destroyers in Starfighters of Adumar are heavily damaged by...massed torpedo fire from multiple squadrons of fighter-bombers while their own fighter defenses are occupied.

And then oh yeah, torpedoes to the bridge take down Iron Fist.

So basically yes, star destroyers tend to die when their own fighters are occupied and bombers can hit them mostly unmolested, or when random assholes shoot at their bridge. Really, that big, terrifically exposed bridge is a huge liability. Terrible design flaw. :colbert:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hahahaha! Never change, theforce.net...

DarthMRN posted:

Becoming an EU scholar takes several years, at best. Even more, when you consider that the more you learn, the more you realize how far you are from being a real EU scholar. Just reading non-stop doesn't make you an EU scholar either. I know people who take that approach, and their understanding is usually faulty in some way, their awareness of crucial, perception-altering details simply lacking in the extreme. The best they bring to the table is the ability to point you vaguely in the right direction for some topic, and a better appreciation of the historical whole of it. Real scholarship requires attention to detail, intimate understanding of continuity, endless cross-referencing, reviewing what you thought you had a grip on in light of new information, and discussion with other scholars to arrive upon viewpoints and ideas you could not reach in a vacuum. That takes far more time than the extremely generous estimates you make.

Is it worth is? Well, everybody needs a hobby. Besides, it is sort of an addictive thing. Once you start upon that path, prestige follows, with power inside your community springing from that. As with all power, one fears to lose it, and will try to increase it. This leading to ever greater scholarhood. In the alternative, one would truly feel like one has wasted the time one has spent, a fate one obviously wishes to avoid. On a personal note, I have gained immensely in my scientific training from taking a scientific approach to EU. I do on the Internet as a student, what a real academic would do in their professional career. Is invaluable.

As for SW being for enjoyment, with the Wook being for everything else, someone still has to write the Wook for us. Scholars are still needed. And as was pointed out earlier, the Wook is far from perfect. As an academic and scholarly community, it has a looong way to go. The rest of us serve a purpose just by being out there and showing them what they should strive for. This forum in particular, in my experience.

Isn't this "scientist" the guy one of you got probated for calling a moron over there?

edit: also, lucked into a trove of sexist early Marvel Star Wars quotes.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 29, 2010

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DarthMRN posted:

EU scholar

What does this involve? A doctorate in Mary Sue Studies with a specialization in Depending On The Writer?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pops Mgee posted:

Back to the whole force aneurysm discussion, would you really want the jedi to be even more powerful?

"Oh hey a bunch of battledroids what are we going to do?"
"Don't worry I can just make them all overload with my mind and there won't be any tension or danger at all."

The Jedi are already way too overpowered and them being able to instakill the already useless enemies would just make the movies even more boring than they already are.

One of the worst things the EU (particularly games) did was make people think that Jedi were just some video game character who could use all these amazing powers with the flick of a button. In the OT, Jedi and Sith had powers but outside of increased jumping ability, excellent reflexes/anticipation, and force directed object throwing, they really didn't show much while in battle.

I just like to say the reason Jedi didn't go around doing that was because it requires focus and concentration and it's loving hard to pull that off if something is trying to kill you. Vader had that impressive display of throwing a bunch of poo poo at Luke but he clearly was having to split his concentration between throwing and keeping Luke from hacking him to pieces

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ For me the 'Jedi not using the Force' thing is less 'they're not ending the battles in half a second with overpowered force powers' and more 'oh poo poo, we need to end this fight quickly - Force power'. You see it loads during the prequels and TV series.

TPM: Obi-wan and Qui-Gon use force speed (for the only time ever in G-cannon material) to get away from the destroyer droids, then forget to use it to catch up with Darth Maul in the final duel.

RotS: Obi-wan remembers that he can force push Grievous about ten minutes too late, and also ignores the fact that he can push him down a several hundred foot sink hole.

And they're just the ones I can pull off the top of my head. These kind of mistakes, and the numerous errors I see in the lightsaber duels are the second most irritating thing about the prequels for me. (Hayden Christiansen still takes no. 1)

Tl;dr: I am a sad, sad bastard who analyzes fictional fights involving magic far too much.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

Bene Elim posted:

RotS: Obi-wan remembers that he can force push Grievous about ten minutes too late, and also ignores the fact that he can push him down a several hundred foot sink hole.

Well, to be fair, had Obi-wan pushed him off, it's pretty likely Grievous would have pulled some kind of grappling hook or inspector-gadget helicopter out of his rear end and gotten away yet again.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I always figured from Yoda that the Force was a connection to a high power/plane of existence. So you wouldn't see too much in the way of power on our plane of life. Thats why Palps and Yoda were awesome cause they were intune with their side of the higher power and beyond such things as fighting with lightsabers and all.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Throb Robinson posted:

I always figured from Yoda that the Force was a connection to a high power/plane of existence. So you wouldn't see too much in the way of power on our plane of life. Thats why Palps and Yoda were awesome cause they were intune with their side of the higher power and beyond such things as fighting with lightsabers and all.

Pretend that I posted youtube links here to the Yoda/Dooku and Yoda/Palpatine duels.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ On the subject of lighsabers and youtube; someone made videos of some of the RotS duels sped up to double speed so everyone has squeaky hamster-dance voices. They're loving hilarious.

Mace et al. .v. Sideous
Yoda .v. Sideous

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 29, 2010

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

quote:

EU Scholar
I know too much about the EU, this is not something to be proud of.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRg-fAh8Hco&feature=related

some youtube guy posted:

Okay, I made this video when I was 12, in late November of '05. Then, when I was 14, I uploaded it to YouTube. I am now 17...so that's a little less than 3 years ago.Since then, I have been able to accept that this is only a movie mistake, and not something Lucas wanted us to notcie.
Please know, when I made the video, I was a Kit Fisto-finatic.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Bene Elim posted:

^^ On the subject of lighsabers and youtube; someone made videos of some of the RotS duels sped up to double speed so everyone has squeaky hamster-dance voices. They're loving hilarious.

Mace et al. .v. Sideous
Yoda .v. Sideous

I never watched the third movie, I just settled for reading the book. I knew it would be terrible, but every scene I watch manages to surprise me in new and terrible ways. Well, I mean these are hilarious, but imagining them as a scene we're meant to take seriously boggles the mind. I can't wait for the Red Letter Media review.

JackGeneric fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 29, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bene Elim posted:

Mace et al. .v. Sideous
Yoda .v. Sideous

Just about any movie is funnier sped up, though.

Youcan'tdothistomeI'mCharlesFosterKane!

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqEZvzYxROA

Thats a pretty intense lightsaber fight. (Better than some of the movies)

Heres some more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NE5elL30w4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5FWR3GTAw

I get mesmorized watching these.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Karandras posted:

I wonder what they'll do with Anakin's padawan at the end of the Clone War's animated series? Murdered by clones? Killed by Vader?

I could only hope Starkiller. I want him to go back to Jedi killer, along with killing all the stormtroopers in the way to keep himself secret.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Penny Arcade did another Star Wars political cartoon, its supposed to be from a Coruscant newspaper.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

muscles like this? posted:

Penny Arcade did another Star Wars political cartoon, its supposed to be from a Coruscant newspaper.

Thats awesome.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Bene Elim posted:

Mace et al. .v. Sideous
Yoda .v. Sideous

That's how the fights generally go in the games. They dont last that long and I cant quite figure out how I won or lost :shrug:

Also those saber duels posted on this page are pretty cool actually. Edit: Especially the last one of the three, it was as fun as the film ones easily.

Touchdown Boy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 30, 2010

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Throb Robinson posted:

Thats awesome.

Have you seen the earlier ones? Spot on with the labels and stuff, like really bad political cartoons.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I have not. got a link?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
These are the only other ones I've seen.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bene Elim posted:

I'm getting a great mental image of Grievous charging at Obi-Wan, sabers whirling, while Obi-Wan just stands there, concentrating placidly. When he gets about 15 feet away, Grievous suddenly floats up into the air and just hovers there snarling and swinging wildly while Obi-Wan smiles and sits down to meditate. Then a squad of clone troopers comes in and blasts Grievous he gets replaced with a real villain.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I always liked how the choreographer had to come up with reasons for Grievous not to win in one slice. Instead of the obvious 4 strikes at four angles at the same time which would've been physically impossible to block, he has Grievous do some sort of cheerleader spinning routine. And then politely stop when he's close enough for Obi-Wan to stab at his chest.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

This is the most hilarious stretching for reasons thing Ive seen in a while.

http://starwars.com/fans/events/cv_why_we_love_the_prequels/index.html

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Throb Robinson posted:

That entire thing looks and sounds like a cult/religious convocation, right down to "the others who disagree, welll *shakes head* I guess they just can't see the light."

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I'd like to thank oxward321 for this insightful comment:

quote:

There are NO trilogies, only The Saga! Star Wars six films, one story!

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. No trilogies. All the movies should be on equal footing; Attack of the Clones was just as good as The Empire Strikes Back.

edit: this guy is my new favorite poster

quote:

DarthShadow2259, really? I didn't know YOU made up Star Wars! You only like the OT fine, go watch them! And let the rest us enjoy, and appreciate, the Saga as a WHOLE!!!Star Wars is Lucas, PERIOD! What he says goes in HIS universe! The sooner you bashers understand that, the sooner you can move on!!!There are NO trilogies, only The Saga! Star Wars six films, one story!

Locutus of Bald fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 30, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quote:

There are NO trilogies, only Zuul.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Throb Robinson posted:

One of the dudes said "all 7 movies" and first I was confused, then I threw up in my mouth because he's saying the animated movie is not only equal to the prequals, but its equal to the OT. So much hate for this guy.

Crow T Bard
Nov 6, 2009

Filoni posted:

I liked Darth Maul, I liked Qui-Gon Jinn, I liked Obi-Wan Kenobi, all those characters are great.

Wait, Darth Maul had a character?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Crow T Bard posted:

Wait, Darth Maul had a character?

In 1999, when Darth Maul busted out the double bladed lightsaber and the acrobatics and the only lightsaber fights anyone had ever seen were the originals, hell yes Darth Maul was awesome.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
He's still not really a character.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Darth Maul was basically an excuse to sell t-shirts to the parents of annoying, grubby little kids with mullets and mohawks.

Kinda like Carnage from Spider-Man.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know a guy who still likes Maul more than any other character, has Maul posters, swears Shadow Hunter is the best EU book, and paid $70+ just to own two Darth Maul miniatures from SWM.

Now that I think about it, he's probably a die-hard fandalorian too.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Darth Maul is awesome and I refuse to believe otherwise.

Plain Cheese Pizza
Aug 26, 2006

Sssh! They might have daggers...

Epi Lepi posted:

One of the dudes said "all 7 movies" and first I was confused, then I threw up in my mouth because he's saying the animated movie is not only equal to the prequals, but its equal to the OT. So much hate for this guy.

I wonder how he feels about those live action Ewok movies.

Hey, remember those live action Ewok movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Maybe he (Darth Maul) just seems comparatively awesome because he doesn't open his mouth, therefore isn't injected with a million lines of stupid dialog.

Clemen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqEZvzYxROA

Thats a pretty intense lightsaber fight. (Better than some of the movies)

They still seem too much like they're trying to hit the lightsaber instead of the guy. I was about 2 minutes in when I stopped because the one guy was fighting with his back turned to the other guy.

Also, why the hell does Anakin buy Palpatine's poo poo at the end of RotS? He's SHOOTING LIGHTNING FROM HIS FINGERS AT THE JEDI AND ALL THE JEDI DOING IS BLOCKING. Yet Palps is just "oh no i'm dyiing from my own lightning". Geez the PT is so dumb.