Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
check the pickup first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
My buddy just bought his first STI and within 6 hours of ownership the pickup tube snapped and he spun a bearing. lovely deal. Point is though, it happens. If you're considering buying one it may be worth doing and save you a lot of money.

Anyone know how Cobb is with Accessport warranties? Specifically what happens if it's out of warranty? Mine died today and won't power back up and I'm uncertain if it's still under warranty.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

allonblack posted:

My buddy just bought his first STI and within 6 hours of ownership the pickup tube snapped and he spun a bearing. lovely deal. Point is though, it happens. If you're considering buying one it may be worth doing and save you a lot of money.

Anyone know how Cobb is with Accessport warranties? Specifically what happens if it's out of warranty? Mine died today and won't power back up and I'm uncertain if it's still under warranty.

Call them up. I bought a new in box, but 3rd party access port for my LGT and ran into problems with the ECU in my car. Granted it was a newer CAN-BUS model AP, but they helped me out when they had no obligation to.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Given how simplistic the guts of the damned thing is, it shouldn't be a big deal for them to deal with.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
DAM's going from 16 to 14 to 5 to 15 to 16 and back again. F*** rod knock.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
There's a 93 Impreza being parted out that I'm going to look at tonight. It's got a 2.2 engine swap, that I might consider swapping into my car (Also a 93 Impreza). How do I ID the engine and which EJ22s are most desired?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

quadpus posted:

There's a 93 Impreza being parted out that I'm going to look at tonight. It's got a 2.2 engine swap, that I might consider swapping into my car (Also a 93 Impreza). How do I ID the engine and which EJ22s are most desired?

The block should be stamped EJ22 above the crank shaft.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Got my car tuned. While we were at it, we bumped up the idle revs to get around the problem at ~760rpm. Discovered in the course of testing that there's a similar vibration at ~3000 - 3100rpm - pretty close to a multiple - which makes me think it's some kind of harmonic resonance. The guy who tuned it suggested it might be something unbalanced when the aftermarket clutch was installed, which seems possible to me. He also said it could be a busted/poorly installed motor mount from the accident repair or something funky in the suspension.

The motor doesn't vibrate around in the engine bay when the vibration is occurring, so I'm pretty sure it's not motor mounts unless I'm misinterpreting how they should work. I guess I'll either pop out the clutch myself or have someone do it next season to make sure it was properly balanced - I wonder if it's possible that they installed the clutch and didn't bother regrinding/replacing the flywheel while it was out.

On the plus side, it's no longer my "slow" EJ25. Compared to the Cobb map, this thing now provides enough thrust in third gear to force me into my seat.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 31, 2010

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On the plus side, it's no longer my "slow" EJ25. Compared to the Cobb map, this thing now provides enough thrust in third gear to force me into my seat.

Wewt. So I take it the car took well to the tune then? What all did they change compared to the stock cobb map.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
All this talk about EJ25 pickup tube failure is making me a lil' nervous. I've been planning on putting a boost gauge in a corner pod, but I'm assuming an oil pressure gauge would give me more of a heads up on an imminent failure, right?

Maybe go Boost / Oil Pressure / Volt in a WRXtra center pod?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

All this talk about EJ25 pickup tube failure is making me a lil' nervous. I've been planning on putting a boost gauge in a corner pod, but I'm assuming an oil pressure gauge would give me more of a heads up on an imminent failure, right?

Maybe go Boost / Oil Pressure / Volt in a WRXtra center pod?

volt meter is pretty worthless. Coolant temp would be a much better option since the stock gauge just says cold, good, and too hot.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

You'd do coolant temp over oil temp?

Volt meter seems like it'd be a good thing to have in the winter. WI winter is hard on electricals.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You'd do coolant temp over oil temp?

Volt meter seems like it'd be a good thing to have in the winter. WI winter is hard on electricals.

Volt meter will only tell you if your alternator has failed. It's either going to be ~13-14v while the alternator is healthy or <12v if the alternator has failed. I'd do oil temp, oil pressure and exhaust temp in a center pod if I got one at all.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm assuming an oil pressure gauge would give me more of a heads up on an imminent failure, right?

This raises a race car question (cough jamal cough). Is it desirable to wire in an ignition circuit relay such that when a given sensor flips a warning light -- oil pressure in this case -- the ignition is automatically interrupted, shutting down the car and preventing further damage?

Like every other race car, my CRX has a mechanical oil pressure gauge plumbed in, but the only time I've actively used it during a race was during an intense, trading-positions-twice-a-lap battle on a very hot day. My oil temp had pegged on the gauge somewhere over 320 degrees F, and I was watching the oil pressure to ensure it didn't fall below some safe level. Edit to answer questions: Honda CRX, D16A6 running Redline 20W50 and no engine damage, May race in AZ, air temp 113. Four cars under the class record on the first lap, I didn't win.

Other than this extremely limited use case, is there any reason an ignition interrupt relay wouldn't be a better, foolproof way of preventing engine damage due to oil starvation?

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 31, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I wouldn't want ignition cut, but it's possible to wire sensor inputs to aftermarket ecus to trip a limp mode or rev limiter etc. I really wish that we had done so with the coolant temp on our evo because it overheated and destroyed the head because the driver wasn't paying attention to the gauges. On the cutout side, I was riding with my friend in his time attack sti during a track day, and right in the middle of a huge powerslide we experienced fuel starvation. We actually came pretty close to hitting a wall because the car abruptly snapped around.

As for the gauges, I would want coolant temp first and then oil pressure. Oil pressure, oil temp, and coolant temp are all pretty closely related, so if there's a problem you would notice something on the two gauges you do have. If the alternator dies the battery light will come on, and that's not really critical anyway.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I agree on the Oil Pressure, Coolant temp and EGT.

Coolant temp will tell you if you're about to warp your heads.
Oil pressure will tell you if you're about to spin a bearing.
And EGT will tell you if you're starting to have fuel problems (run too lean and the temps go up).

I've been kicking around the idea for my STi, but haven't found a good way to put in gauges without a ricetacular look. :(

snadsnad
Dec 31, 2002
Quick question about tuning. I have an '07 Legacy GT that is stock with the extended warranty. Now seeing as I don't want to learn how to repair a car with my daily driver I'd like to keep the warranty intact but add a little more fun to the car if possible.

It seems like most people recommend a custom tune over the Cobb AccessPort. The advantage with the AccessPort is that I can flash back to stock before taking it to the dealer. Can you do something similar with a custom tune? I imagine it might involve a laptop and some sort of data cable which I don't mind dealing with.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Amandyke posted:

Wewt. So I take it the car took well to the tune then? What all did they change compared to the stock cobb map.
From what I interpreted from him (though I might be wrong), the Cobb map isn't very brave with timing because around the time the v1 Accessport for the '06 was released they didn't really know how to control timing on the EJ25 WRX. I'm also at a higher elevation than most people with cars, so even turbo cars usually lose a lot of power around here. I think that was compensated for.

He changed primarily timing (and probably AVCS, though I didn't ask), we did some pulls to test and tune, and I also ended up with an alternate boost curve (holds boost longer instead of peaking and giving up). He also did a lot of work in changing the timing in the low-vacuum/near-idle region in order to improve driveability in traffic, which is very welcome.

Still not sure about the vibrations in my driveline, the engine isn't vibrating very much at all in the bay when this is going on but the rest of the car is.

He told me that if I need to bring it into the dealership I can give him a call and he'll pop by and reflash it to stock. I assume most tuners would be the same way.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

FormulaXFD posted:

I've been kicking around the idea for my STi, but haven't found a good way to put in gauges without a ricetacular look. :(

I really like the WRXtra pod, they just modify the stock single-din hood for 52mm gauges.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
I've got a 97 Legacy Outback, and have a strange bucking at low speeds and going up hills at low speeds. It feels like something in the driveline just has a ton of slack.

I'm pretty certain it's not the engine cutting out, as the engine revs smoothly and doesn't give me any crap otherwise. I replaced the motor mounts and the trans mount just for good measure, but there was no change. Anyone have any idea what, if anything, could wear in the drive-line that could cause this kind of behavior?

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 1, 2010

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I really like the WRXtra pod, they just modify the stock single-din hood for 52mm gauges.

I kind of dig that. I'd have to see it in person though.

Any of you Portland OR area people want the leftovers of my 05 STi's exhaust? DP and center piece in decent condition if anyone wants it.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
This is basic stuff but I figured out the headlamp issue on the 99 Forester if it helps anyone else. The bulb was probably original and the lamp contacts basically freeze up in the socket requiring that you first remove the whole rubber cover, pull the entire socket and bulb up still attached together, so you can then pry the bulb free with a screwdriver. One contact broke off and remained in the socket in the attempt. Basically it can be impossible to remove the socket before removing the rubber/lamp part so expect to pull the whole thing to pry bulb and socket apart.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 1, 2010

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FormulaXFD posted:

I kind of dig that. I'd have to see it in person though.

Any of you Portland OR area people want the leftovers of my 05 STi's exhaust? DP and center piece in decent condition if anyone wants it.

Forgive my ignorance, but would the DP fit an '05 Legacy, or are the engines incompatible...?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

legacy downpipe is a few inches longer. It will attach to the turbo but not the rest of the exhaust.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Quick question for anyone that might know. What would be the ramifications of plugging the PCV hole on the block? Not like removing the valve, and just running a hose, but like welding in a plug to the hole.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

jamal posted:

legacy downpipe is a few inches longer. It will attach to the turbo but not the rest of the exhaust.

I could always extend it, the question is if there is any gain or benefit by using the 05 STi's DP.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FormulaXFD posted:

I could always extend it, the question is if there is any gain or benefit by using the 05 STi's DP.

A fine point -- given my very limited knowledge of the LGT vs STI, I was under the impression that the DP and the tune were the only items necessary for ~320 hp. The DP-back exhaust and UP are said to flow relatively well, so I simply assumed the biggest difference between the two motors was the DP.

Please note that I'm an utter noob to both turbo cars and Subarus, so I will reiterate my request to forgive my ignorance in the matter.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Well, my 98 Legacy Wagon poo poo the bed this past weekend when I was heading home. I managed to snag a 2003 Outback from a local auction for $5000 that is in excellent condition.
Has anyone ever seen any Outbacks modded for trail or rally? Just curious.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Rasta_Al posted:

Well, my 98 Legacy Wagon poo poo the bed this past weekend when I was heading home. I managed to snag a 2003 Outback from a local auction for $5000 that is in excellent condition.

Several actually.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rasta_Al posted:

A rally prepped Outback? Please do it, that would rock

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There's plenty of Outbacks with lift kits installed - I think a goon was even trying to sell his in the AI marketplace a few months ago.

I'd like to see an Outback sedan get modified - I love how those things look.

I wonder if these are Canada-only?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

snadsnad posted:

Quick question about tuning. I have an '07 Legacy GT that is stock with the extended warranty. Now seeing as I don't want to learn how to repair a car with my daily driver I'd like to keep the warranty intact but add a little more fun to the car if possible.

It seems like most people recommend a custom tune over the Cobb AccessPort. The advantage with the AccessPort is that I can flash back to stock before taking it to the dealer. Can you do something similar with a custom tune? I imagine it might involve a laptop and some sort of data cable which I don't mind dealing with.

Lots of tuners use an AP for loading thier tunes anyhow, so you can do this pretty easily.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I'm eyeballing a Used 09 WRX that's sitting at a local dealership with ~12k miles on it. I'm thinking of trying to talk em down to 20k-21k (sticker price is 23.9 rofl) for it since there's a crack in the bottom of the front bumper from scraping a curb and some other minor imperfections.

Does anyone know if 04 STI brembos will fit an 09' WRX? I think it should fit but wondered if anyone knew for sure.

Can anyone offer cautionary advice with regards to things I should be looking for? Carfax shows religious oil changes (3 in 12k) and some other maintenance. I went over the whole engine and took it for a long drive, seemed very solid.

I've been shopping for a new car but really can't/don't want to go much over 23k OTD price and this could be my ticket back into a WRX.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 2, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would just be wary that it could fall victim to the rod knock issue. There were 09s affected and with only 12k on this car it may not have manifested itself yet. I would just make sure to get in writing that they will honor an engine replacement if it were to happen.

They should anyways since its still under warranty, but they may try to wiggle some bullshit reason since it's used.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

bull3964 posted:

I would just be wary that it could fall victim to the rod knock issue.

I briefly heard about this but I found some information about the Early 08 production models being affected but does it encompass all cars in that model year? The car was built in May/June of 2009 if that makes a difference.

Edit: I see some references to stopping sales of the 09 for a while but I'm not seeing really anything subaru did to remedy this issue.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 2, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The unofficial word I believe was that casting sand wasn't being flushed from the block completely when they were made leading to contamination and failure later. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's plenty of Outbacks with lift kits installed - I think a goon was even trying to sell his in the AI marketplace a few months ago.

I'd like to see an Outback sedan get modified - I love how those things look.

I wonder if these are Canada-only?

We have plenty of these outback sedans in Maine. They're PERFECT and meet all my wants, except they only made them with auto gearboxes. You can also get the H6 in them I think. If my RS becomes too much of a basket case I'd probably still pick one up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

We have plenty of these outback sedans in Maine. They're PERFECT and meet all my wants, except they only made them with auto gearboxes. You can also get the H6 in them I think. If my RS becomes too much of a basket case I'd probably still pick one up.
I didn't realize these were all automatics. I wonder how hard it would really be to do a manual swap on a Subaru - I know a goon has done it on a Volvo with complicated electronic bullshit, but a '99 Legacy sedan should be pie in comparison. Find a 5MT Legacy of the same age, drop in the transmission, do the pedal work... it'd be easy unless you have to swap the ECU when going from auto to manual (I don't think there are any H6 manual cars).

Then the H6 blows your transmission, but for a shining moment you had an awesome car.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Bob Log posted:

I'm thinking of trying to talk em down to 20k-21k (sticker price is 23.9 rofl)

What the hell? New 2010s are 24.9. 2011s will probably be as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Kageneko posted:

What the hell? New 2010s are 24.9. 2011s will probably be as well.

KBB is crazy wacky on the price of those things. Claiming $27k is a good retail value for a used 2009. MORE than MSRP? wtf?

Nada seems more realistic, if optimistic: http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2009/Subaru/Impreza-4-Cyl-/Sedan-4D-WRX-AWD/Standard-Equipment