Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

Also, tire sizes. The OEM rear tire (which is still on the bike...) is currently a 160/60. It _barely_ clears the chain. Would it be better to stick with the 160 rear or drop down to a 150?

By SM standards barely clears the chain is doing pretty darn well. A lot of bikes are in the "the chain will make it's own clearance" territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
I run 160 on mine and have never had a problem. Congrats on the bike, you're in for some serious fun!

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
I looked at that yellow DRZ400SM that I posted about yesterday. In the pictures on craigslist it looks great but seeing it in person it's not in the greatest condition and I think the guy does want a little too much money for it and he seems firm.

The only other DRZs on craigslist are people asking ridiculous money for bikes with higher miles. I guess it is the wrong time to be looking at DRZs in this area.

There is a guy with a Husqvarna SM610 that is relatively close and it seems like a pretty good deal but I know absolutely nothing about these bikes. The bigger engine is attractive to me since I've been riding my sportbike for so long. How hard are these things to maintain compared to a DRZ?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The only routine maintenance difference is the valve check interval. Expect to check the valves three times for every two on a DRZ. You can also expect adjusting the valves to be about half as difficult (cam shafts do not need to be removed).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AngryGuy posted:

The only other DRZs on craigslist are people asking ridiculous money for bikes with higher miles. I guess it is the wrong time to be looking at DRZs in this area.
Get z3n to ship his!

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

While we're on the subject, tell me why or should or should not pick up a bone stock 2008 DRZSM with 9500 miles for $3000. I usually dismiss anything with that many miles but it looks pretty clean and these things are drat hard to find around here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

WTFBEES posted:

While we're on the subject, tell me why or should or should not pick up a bone stock 2008 DRZSM with 9500 miles for $3000. I usually dismiss anything with that many miles but it looks pretty clean and these things are drat hard to find around here.

Not a bad deal. See if you can bargain him down a bit to try and get the edge taken off the cost of a flatslide upgrade.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
10000 miles is a ridiculously low mileage for DRZ, those things are indestructible.

Eh, you guys in the US have a really diferent point of view on miles, around here a bike with 10k is considered almost new...

btw, z3n, you got mail.

quote:

By SM standards barely clears the chain is doing pretty darn well. A lot of bikes are in the "the chain will make it's own clearance" territory.

This was beautiful.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Primo Itch posted:

10000 miles is a ridiculously low mileage for DRZ, those things are indestructible.

Eh, you guys in the US have a really diferent point of view on miles, around here a bike with 10k is considered almost new...

btw, z3n, you got mail.

This was beautiful.

It's because most american riders don't see riding more than 60 miles in a day as reasonable. :v:

Got your mail, carbs will go out tomorrow :)

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
Thanks man.

Also, hey guys, i just bought this on eBay

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

It's a 2000 YZ 125 front end with an aluminium top clamp

Just waiting for the shipping confirmation. I have no idea if anything bolts on my bike, but i'll figure a way of getting this thing there. I figure at most i will have to make a new steering axle, machine the wheel axle, make new spacers and a brake clamp support. Some work but nothing really hard. Thread will be made as soon as I get it to show how everything goes.

Did i just get myself in a world of pain ?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Is it just picture distortion/the angle that makes the bottom fork leg look bent?

Because if it is bent, yes, I'd say you're in for a world of pain. If it's not, nah, you've got the resources to do it. If my dumbass can bodge together an axle and spacers, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
It's just the pic, in other pics the thing is straight as an arrow. In fact, it's just way too mint for what I paid for it :)

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
So, has anyone rigged a system for carrying a bicycle on a supermoto yet? I want nothing more then to buy a SM that I can ride to the BMX track with.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trintintin posted:

So, has anyone rigged a system for carrying a bicycle on a supermoto yet? I want nothing more then to buy a SM that I can ride to the BMX track with.

Attach a standard bicycle rail mount to the rear rack. No problems.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Sold my FJR, 690 SMC should be getting here this Friday. I don't know what I'm going to do with a bike that doesn't weigh 600 lbs - take it off some sweet jumps, I hope. My wife is bitching that she "can't ride on the back of that thing" already. :chord:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

My wife is bitching that she "can't ride on the back of that thing" already. :chord:

The words every man wants to hear

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Sold my FJR, 690 SMC should be getting here this Friday. I don't know what I'm going to do with a bike that doesn't weigh 600 lbs - take it off some sweet jumps, I hope. My wife is bitching that she "can't ride on the back of that thing" already. :chord:

:):hf::) sold a touring bike for a SM buddy.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lancemantis posted:

The words every man wants to hear

no passenger pegs :whatup:

Edit

JESUS loving CHRIST the tank on the 625 is tiny. I've filled up 7 times since late Saturday afternoon :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

Good man. Feel free to shoot me an IM if you have any questions on the 690's.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The KTM SM crew is getting pretty big, that's like six now right? Needknees, maybe you should get a goldwing.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Zool posted:

The KTM SM crew is getting pretty big, that's like six now right? Needknees, maybe you should get a goldwing.

I think you should all have a group meet at an unsuspecting quiet little down and wreak havok.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Zool posted:

I like to bitch :v:

Really though, the 625's tank is laughably small. loving 9L. The 690 has a 12L tank if I'm not mistaken, that'd be about right. As it sits now I've been hitting reserve at 55-60 miles, filling up around 75 because I don't have a good idea how far I can go on reserve. The last time I filled up I put less than 2gal in, so I (supposedly) could get another 15 miles out of it or so. A different tank is definitely on the list of things to get.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Been thinking about getting back into supermoto after looking at the current pricing for track days. I've got an '03 YZ250 that I could convert which seems like the best way to go about it. Someone want to give me some advice on a wheel/brake setup? The Motostrano budget kit seems like a pretty good deal for what you get. I have a friend that can get pretty good pricing wholesale on stuff. Would I be better off building a set of wheels myself?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My advice would be to not gently caress around with seeing how much range you can get on reserve...

The SM pro move is to carry spare gas with you, duh. 65 is pretty, hmm, track focused. After market tank is good thinkin.

n8r, for track use? Do you have a Kart/SM track nearby that you have in mind? For a small Kart track with a dirt section a YZ250 would make a fine SM. Converting is a bit of an expensive process though. Ideally you need new forks, wheels, brakes and calipers. The dirt brakes will suck rear end on the track with sticky road rubber, and the suspension will be too squishy when the pace starts up a bit.

If you mean anything other than a Kart track SM conversion for track weekends, I'd recommend against it and instead finding something purpose built for the street.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

http://www.motostrano.com/sucokibabo.html

This is the kit I'm looking at specifically.

I'm located in Wenatchee so I'd be looking at the Tri Cities or Seattle + maybe where they do the flat track stuff.

I also happen to own a rather large parking lot as well :).

My bike is resprung and when you crank down the compression it does firm up a bit. I'm not against buying a dedicated sumo bike, but I didn't think my YZ would be too far off.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Theres a track or two out there these days. A big parking lot is good. You can get away with dirt suspension, especially if your just sort of ham fisting something together.

That kit is just fine, you could probably save some coin DIYing the situation but Motostranto is the Tards' choice for hardware. You will still want a better caliper and probably a master cylinder if you decide you like having a SM on a track. Which you will.

Again, as long as your talking specifically about track-only, and tight tracks at that, there's great fun to be had.

The advantages of a little 250 SM on a Kart track are immediate in the corners. Really though, this might just be what bites you with the SM virus and you may transition out of the 250 sooner than you think for something more versatile (for SM).

If you do put it together, take a trip across the mountains and come visit PGP with Zool and I at the church of supermoto.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

http://www.motostrano.com/sucokibabo.html

This is the kit I'm looking at specifically.

I'm located in Wenatchee so I'd be looking at the Tri Cities or Seattle + maybe where they do the flat track stuff.

I also happen to own a rather large parking lot as well :).

My bike is resprung and when you crank down the compression it does firm up a bit. I'm not against buying a dedicated sumo bike, but I didn't think my YZ would be too far off.

I take it you want to be able to swap back to dirt wheels? Otherwise you can save a bit by lacing 17s onto your stock hubs.

You can get by with a dirt front fork, but you will find it's limits and want something better set up for SM as you get faster.

You should start with a proper brake system, using a 4-pot caliper. The stock dirt caliper, even with a 320mm relocation, just isn't up to the job. Brembo or Beringer are choice. The brake upgrade is expensive if you buy new parts, but if you look out for deals on used parts you can come out of it fairly cheap.

Pro-tip the same caliper I have on my Husky was used on Ducati Monsters from like 1994 to 2002.

If you haven't been cruising the SMJ classifieds, you should start.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?73-Bike-Parts

And while you're on SMJ, don't forget to stop by the Washington forum. Mention you're converting a YZ250 on there, I think someone might have some YZ 17"s for sale.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?26-Washington-Supermoto-Forum

There is now a track Yakima,I don't know how often it will be open for practice, but there were a few races there this year, as well as one in Ephrata.

Zool fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 1, 2010

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Is supermotojunkies the most active NW forums? I think I'm looking for a setup that is just for occasional use, I'm not concerned with maximum performance at this point.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The 320 conversion will fit your usage just fine then. Also, Zool's a racer so anything but flat loving out isn't acceptable. My more sane friends haven't had any problems with the stock 260 setup on the DRZ400SM with some proper pads and a SS line.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n's right you probably wouldnt like it at all

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
New tires ordered, trackday next weekend :dance:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

New tires ordered, trackday next weekend :dance:

Where at? Kart or big boy?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

Where at? Kart or big boy?

Big boy track. Blackhawk farms raceway in northern IL. It's relatively tight though, shouldn't be too out of my element.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Based off that map your only braking point may be dropping down a gear to come into Turn 1, or just rolling off a bit. I'd bet that whole track can be handled with some engine braking and liberal use of throttle.

Edit: I'd also recommend hanging off superbike style given those sweeping gradual corners

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 1, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

And now he learns teh difference between "pretty tight" by literbike standards and "pretty tight" by supermoto standards! :haw:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

And now he learns teh difference between "pretty tight" by literbike standards and "pretty tight" by supermoto standards! :haw:

Heh. By "relatively tight" I mean not having bigass wide open straights where you're at 130++ before you even hit the timing tower like at MAM. I don't know if I want to put myself in a situation where there might be 60+ mph closing speeds when I'm pinned and the bike's giving its all :(.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
The long straight at MAM would really suck for the SM. But the rest of the course would be pretty decent, not great but decent.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm not sure what tracks you're used to, but blackhawk is pretty short and fairly tight. On a sportbike the whole track is like one gear except the straight.

Should be a hoot on an SM though.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Phat_Albert posted:

I'm not sure what tracks you're used to, but blackhawk is pretty short and fairly tight. On a sportbike the whole track is like one gear except the straight.

Should be a hoot on an SM though.

Yep, that's what I was thinking from watching videos. Haven't had the chance to ride there before, but it looks like a lot of fun. I've only ridden MidAmerica, Hastings, and Autobahn north -- all on the CBR.

In other sumo news, I'm pretty sure tonight's ride made me fall in love with motorcycles all over again. Did ~130 miles, 50 or so of which were on gravel :hellyeah:. Turns out central Iowa *does* have some decent roads... just none of them are paved!

Didn't get any pictures of the really interesting bits, but goddamn it was fun. Gravel roads snaking along the river valley, often zipping out of it for a bit just to drop back down. So much fun :D

And I also did BY FAR the best wheelies of my life yesterday. Just sayin.

needknees fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm listing my 07 DRZ400SM for sale locally and am trying to figure out what a reasonable price to ask for it is. Pilot Powers with about 2k on them, fairly extensive engine work, ~18k miles I think, pretty clean overall. I was thinking of tossing it up for $4k on facebook and $4.5k on craigslist and seeing if I got any bites. Is that too much or does it seem reasonable for a well maintained bike with some work?

• Locked thread