Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Phat_Albert posted:

Does that say 800??

Sure does...click the pic for the original article. I'm sure their marketing arm has determined that it should only be released in the Outer Hebrides, Pango Pango, and Luxembourg. It is sweet, but that segment's covered unless they've found a way to bring it to market for 20% less than a Bonnie. If not, I don't see the point. They'd be FAR better off bringing out a throwback Z1 or KZ-xxxx. They had a seriously kickass identity of their own to borrow from if they're gunning for retro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
I'd rather see the KZ1300 back in a more stable frame and better performing suspension.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Oooooooooo!

I thought they released this thing years ago. I know I saw it at a bike show in Toronto years ago at least (unless I'm thinking of the other Kawasaki retro standard parallel twin with a W moniker).

edit- never mind, just clicked the link.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A big ol' pile of :flashfap:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
If only I were filthy rich.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A big ol' pile of :flashfap:

Holy crap, there's some cool stuff on that page. I don't really know the significance of all those bikes, but the 4 cylinder Jawa's grabbed my attention for some reason. That engine looks loving crazy.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Hot Buttered posted:

Holy crap, there's some cool stuff on that page. I don't really know the significance of all those bikes, but the 4 cylinder Jawa's grabbed my attention for some reason. That engine looks loving crazy.

You'd be welcome to take a close look at the engine of my Yamaha RD/RZ500. Jawa didn't invent 2-stroke insanity, they just kind of copied it. Rather badly.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Holy poo poo....

Its V-STROM and not V-storm. My fragile little mind :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Made a deal to sell the Ducati. 15 days before i hate life.

Until i get my track SM at least

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why sell the streetfighter?

Just read this on the hardknock forums trying to find info for my bike. Dude enters his kikker into the custom class at a Harley show and wins first.

quote:

Okay, so yesterday i got invited to a bike show for today (second one this week I've been asked to go to) And there were 5 classes, stock, sporster, bagger, custom, pre-1969 . I entered into custom.... and took FIRST FRIGGIN PLACE!!!!!!!!!!! Against some bikes that were 50k plus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:

So, when they were calling out the finalist in each class (we got to drive the around the oval) and then setup on the track to see who was the winner, anyway, my friend that was there with me, head some guy going loving NUTS, when i rolled my bike out onto the track, and starting yelling to all around him that HOW the gently caress did i get into the finals, my bikes not even a harley! My friend (after the guy started to get his other friends to start bitching as well) yelled up to him... guess ur just made cause your bike didn't get in!

Anyway it was sweet! And after the show me and this guy on a 1946 indian did a fast lap around the dirt track! Had her a little sideways and pinnned in 3rd around the corner! Good times!

And then another guy:

quote:

Hawyn9 and I won our first show a year and a half ago with his 200..against 12.. 30 to 50k harleys in the mild customs class. I was a bit overwhelmed and amazed. We just wanted to hear what people say about it.....like one old timer griping "thats one of those drat chinese choppers"
Then a warm fuzzy feeling came over me when I thought "we just wooped your rear end with a customized 200cc bike built for less than 3 grand!"
Congrats man! People just love these bikes and the questions and compliments never end.

I think it's loving hilarious that a $2000 bike beat some "RAKE TO STURGIS" customs. I might have to try it myself just to piss people off.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That's awesome. The rage must have been palpable when they watched the Kikker grab the trophy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Just read this on the hardknock forums trying to find info for my bike. Dude enters his kikker into the custom class at a Harley show and wins first.

And then another guy:

I think it's loving hilarious that a $2000 bike beat some "RAKE TO STURGIS" customs. I might have to try it myself just to piss people off.

any pictures of the bike?

as an aside, on the way home from work tonight, stopped at a red light behind a truck, a late 90's fart can Civic pulls up past in the next lane. Cute girl in the passenger seat looking google eyed at my bike mouths "nice bike" as they drive past...
:c00l:
All is well with the world.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He took a couple photos, but both are pretty lovely.

I think it's just like my bike, but the wheels look green instead. Here's the thread, but I think it requires an account to view.

http://www.hardknockforum.com/2_23429_1.html

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Slim Pickens posted:

Hilarious. I love those damned things, and I'm glad they're catching on. I've seen the trash wagons that typically get best in show at those events, and it's pretty much he who bolts on the most crap from the Screamin' Eagle catalog wins.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 30, 2010

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Rode from Seattle to Leavenworth this weekend for my dads birthday. A little tubing, a little golf, a bit of beer. US-2 was a lot more fun in a car, cold as poo poo up on that mountain. Anyways, on my way home I got one bar of gas left with 18 miles to go to goldbar. In town the bike starts stuttering a bit, runs out of gas as I'm idling at the pump taking my helmet off. gently caress ya.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Firstly, that Kikker stuff is hilarious...

I got a stupid good price on the Ducati when I bought it in the winter, the plan was always to sell it at the end of riding season for a 'profit'*

That time has come.

Good news is it looks like I'll be selling it to the previous owner, the guy I bought it from. So, it's sort of staying in the family, I guess. Funny thing is I'm selling it back to him for more than I bought it for from him. :psyduck:

** Note: Profit does not include speeding tickets, tires, oil, gas, trackdays, accessories, lattes or hair gel

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Got my first proper deer scare last night, it was over so fast I wasn't really sure it happened. Climbing a mountain pass at dusk, went through a nice wide switchback, emptied 2nd and just flipped it up to 5th to cruise when it ran across the road. Thankfully it started running early enough to clear me. It ran from my side of the road and emerged from some trees. I was doing about 55 mph and would not have had a single chance to swerve or brake. Fuckers, going to eat more deer now.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Ola posted:

Got my first proper deer scare last night, it was over so fast I wasn't really sure it happened. Climbing a mountain pass at dusk, went through a nice wide switchback, emptied 2nd and just flipped it up to 5th to cruise when it ran across the road. Thankfully it started running early enough to clear me. It ran from my side of the road and emerged from some trees. I was doing about 55 mph and would not have had a single chance to swerve or brake. Fuckers, going to eat more deer now.

I can't speak for deer, but I can tell you that a cat will take two spins between the tire and the front fender of a CBX1000 before your brake lines are ripped apart and half a liter of silicon based brake fluid, fur and blood is sprayed at your face. gently caress animals on the road.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 30, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Ola posted:

I think that everything I've read points towards it being better to just go straight through the deer than to try to swerve. Swerving will just put you into the wall.

Yes you will probably be covered in blood and guts but hopefully they won't be your own.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

And then another guy:

That's really the best thing ever. Mainly because he actually built his bike by hand, and I can promise that probably all of those 50k "specials" were put together by some guy and are ridden 500 miles a year and are lovingly taken back to the dealership for an assfucking when they need their oil changed.

So gently caress yeah, win that poo poo.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Slim Pickens posted:

He took a couple photos, but both are pretty lovely.

I think it's just like my bike, but the wheels look green instead. Here's the thread, but I think it requires an account to view.

http://www.hardknockforum.com/2_23429_1.html

The winning kikker, with trophy, without chain link fence.
Linked because I don't want to leech the guys PBucket account, and I'm too lazy to Waffle It Up.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah, good work finding the full one. He only has a cropped version from the handlebars up on the forums, and not a single other picture anywhere else but that topic.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

By the way, I've thought about taking pictures while riding and I've also thought about riding cows instead of bikes. I've come up with this:

The curveness of a curve cannot be captured by a photograph. You ride through the curve, then it becomes the concept of twisties which is a fundamental component of any ride. The cowness of a cow cannot be captured by riding it. You photograph the cow, then it becomes the concept of countryside photos which is a fundamental component of any tour.

This philosophy will be spun differently depending on which demographic segment we're hitting.

Middle class silverfoxes on Beamers: Leather tankbags with compartments for SLR and lenses, stitched on the cover is: "You cannot capture the soul of a corner by taking its picture. But you can capture a cow's."

Young Gixxer squids: T-shirts with "RIDE CORNERS, NOT COWS"

Bonus content:

Norwegians laugh at Engrish in manuals from China, yet we warn foreigners on ferries with signs like these. You feel afraid or riding corners or cows? Squeeze that danger with flaps! Also, "whilst" sure looks like "whust" in a hastily scribbled note in the poorly lit sign making factory.

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 30, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Norwenglish

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Does whilst even fit? Gotta go while the blah blah.

spelling chat whust in CA is dumb.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wikipedia says: "In standard British English and Australian English, whilst is synonymous with while in meaning and usage. In American English and Canadian English, whilst can be considered pretentious or archaic."

About to edit in: "On Norwegian ferries, whulst is used instead of whilst if there is an opportunity to squeeze danger with flaps."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What is...i...what are you even supposed to do in cases of danger? What the flaps? How do you squeeze them? Why?

I'm so confused :(

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

"In American English and Canadian English, whilst can be considered pretentious or archaic."

Explains why goons love using it so much.

Anyways, can anyone tell which manufacturer's logo this is? It's on a fork seal for the kikker.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Ola posted:

The cowness of a cow cannot be captured by riding it.

You're beginning to sound like Pirsig, and I suspect it has something to do with your current altitude :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

You're beginning to sound like Pirsig, and I suspect it has something to do with your current altitude :)

Haha, I keep catching myself thinking in Pirsig-isms. I try to shake it off but I suppose the descent into insanity is inevitable. Also, should have written "The cowness of a cow cannot be captured by riding it for it will capture you instead".

Z3n, I delight in your confusion. To avoid foreigners getting their feet caught in the tilting ramp, I suppose "CAUTION RAMP" or "Keep clear while whulst ramp is in motion" or many other things in between would work better. Poor translation tries to find foreign words for the source language's phrase instead of simply figuring out how they say that thing in the target language's country.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Jabs posted:

The winning kikker, with trophy, without chain link fence.
Linked because I don't want to leech the guys PBucket account, and I'm too lazy to Waffle It Up.

The link is dead :argh:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Slim Pickens posted:

Explains why goons love using it so much.

Anyways, can anyone tell which manufacturer's logo this is? It's on a fork seal for the kikker.

It's the "chy" brand of Shandong Laiyang Changyu Sealing Products Co.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Blaster of Justice posted:

It's the "chy" brand of Shandong Laiyang Changyu Sealing Products Co.

Good guess, but it says Cry. A product of Crysis corp.

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
I'm looking for ways to make my motorcycle more comfortable for me. I'm 6'6" and its a 1983 Suzuki GS650L.

I ride 5 days a week to work, a 45 min commute one way. By the end of the ride, I feel a bit cramped and my rear end hurts/is asleep. (worse in the afternoon than the morning) I feel like I need to change the seat somehow. (Probably the shape of it.) Maybe something in regards to the pegs too? Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd actually change the bars first instead. You could shave down and recover the seat to let you sit farther back, but bars are simple and cheap to start with.

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
What sort of bars?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tachonium posted:

What sort of bars?

Whatever feels right. I'd drop by a local bike shop that has some dirt bike bars (the 7/8ths inch ones are standard), and see if there's something that feels right to you. You could also try bending your own if you feel so inclined. It's just a bar, after all :)

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
Another dumb question. In general, what sort of posture should I aim for in regards to max comfort with my large frame? Right now I'm pretty upright.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tachonium posted:

Another dumb question. In general, what sort of posture should I aim for in regards to max comfort with my large frame? Right now I'm pretty upright.

Not a dumb question, just an unanswerable one. Everyone's a bit different and likes different things. I like my bikes mostly upright with my pegs directly below me, and a wide bar. What I will recommend is constantly varying your position a little bit every few minutes. Sitting in the same position for 45 minutes is usually pretty uncomfortable and people have a tendency to forget to relax and move around a bit on the bike. Scoot up or back on the seat, sit on the front or the back of your tailbone, etc. Moving around a bit will help you avoid developing hot spots, and prevent you from getting too locked into one position. Also, you're going to hurt a bit as you build up muscles that you only use while riding, especially if you haven't been commuting for awhile. 5 days a week doesn't allow for much muscle recovery time, but they'll catch up eventually.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Honestly the best thing that helped me stay comfortable on long rides was wearing a pair of those moisture wicking shorts under my riding pants. I was fine for an hour or two before but after that things got uncomfortable in a hurry. On my first outing with the shorts on I did 950 miles in two days and was only mildly uncomfortable by the end.