Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonbaron
Nov 10, 2008
I'm seeing Destroyer 666 tomorrw but I've only ever heard Unchain the Wolves, which is very solid. Any tracks they typically play live which I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax

vonbaron posted:

I'm seeing Destroyer 666 tomorrw but I've only ever heard Unchain the Wolves, which is very solid. Any tracks they typically play live which I should check out?
I Am the Wargod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7cdHiZ010

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Not Very Metal mentioned Taake's Hordaland Doedskvad in the general metal thread, and I felt I needed to chime in and say this is the first BM album I've bought in a long time that really hooked me. Needless to say, I wanna know where to go next in their catalog. Suggestions?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik and Nattestid Ser Porten Vid are both great albums by Taake. While finding the album titles to cut and paste I just saw that there's a 2008 self-titled album as well. I don't know how I missed that but it's in the mail because I'm sure it is great as well.
Can't miss with Taake.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

NicktheBishop posted:

Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik and Nattestid Ser Porten Vid are both great albums by Taake. While finding the album titles to cut and paste I just saw that there's a 2008 self-titled album as well. I don't know how I missed that but it's in the mail because I'm sure it is great as well.
Can't miss with Taake.

It's not nearly as good as the earlier efforts, I think. Also, I personally don't like Doedskvad as much as the first two albums (which you should definitely get if you think that one is good).

corpserot
Sep 29, 2009

NATO posted:

I Am the Wargod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7cdHiZ010

Yeah, only song that had a alright pit at my local venue.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Nattestid is probably my favorite Taake album, that poo poo just rips from front to back. The self titled is alright, and iirc, it's Hoest performing most if not all of the instruments.

Openknees you might check out Ragnarok (Nor) for a similar band. It's another Hoest project.

doogle
May 24, 2003

ruinedhero posted:

BREAKING NEWS

Behemoth have confirmed that band frontman Adam “Nergal” Darski is currently suffering from Leukemia and issued the following statement on the matter:

“BEHEMOTH leader Nergal has just found out he needs a marrow transplant to fight the sickness he has recently been diagnosed with (leukemia). In light of this he wants to remind everyone about the need to be on the marrow registry. The more people get tested and donate, the more of a chance for life there is for him and people in the same situation.

BEHEMOTH and Metal Blade would like to thank everyone for their support and well wishes during this difficult time. The best thing we can all do right now is learn about the marrow donation process, not only help save one of metal’s leaders, but to also help save countless others out there struggling with the same disease.

I no-poo poo signed up to be on the registry, I get my blood sample taken on Monday.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

doogle posted:

I no-poo poo signed up to be on the registry, I get my blood sample taken on Monday.

That's great man.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Openknees posted:

Not Very Metal mentioned Taake's Hordaland Doedskvad in the general metal thread, and I felt I needed to chime in and say this is the first BM album I've bought in a long time that really hooked me. Needless to say, I wanna know where to go next in their catalog. Suggestions?

Necro.

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

We are only serving our Gods

doogle posted:

Hell yes. I got some medical issues that would gently caress me over if I tried, but the least I can do is get the word out.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

vonbaron posted:

They've being playing Trialed by fire quite a lot of late, as well as the odd track from defiance, but last I saw them (a month ago), they stuck to mostly unchain the wolves, violence is the prince and cold steel... stuff.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the setlist, D666 are always great live, and feed off the audience.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

NicktheBishop posted:

Can't miss with Taake.

The best part of Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik III is the hilarious boing/spring sound effect. What the hell?

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
I'm pretty sure that's an instrument, the name of which escapes me. Several folk metal bands use it. Sounds weird as hell though.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Caucasus Belli posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an instrument, the name of which escapes me. Several folk metal bands use it. Sounds weird as hell though.

Probably a mouth harp. AKA the tastefully named Jew's Harp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew%27s_harp

Moonsorrow is one band that uses it; they just looooove their mouth harp.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 29, 2010

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Qu Appelle posted:

Moonsorrow is one band that uses it; the just looooove their mouth harp.

I just love their mouth harp, too :colbert:. The carnyx is one I'm waiting to hear in some folky battle funtime metal, though. I'd take that over the boing harp.

Wikipedia posted:

The carnyx was a wind instrument of the Iron Age Celts, attested for ca. 300 BC to 200 AD. It is a kind of bronze trumpet, held vertically, the mouth styled in the shape of a boar or other animal's head. It was used in warfare, probably to incite troops to battle and intimidate opponents. The instrument's upright carriage allowed its notes to carry over the heads of the participants in battles and ceremonies.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Not Very Metal posted:

Stuff

Hey I know you like Evilfeast, I just stumbled upon his Demo "Thy Abhorrent Emerging" when I thought I had all his releases ... anyhow it is just excellent and I suggest you check it out, even if just for this song ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7J7BCWGtcY ... but all 3 tracks on the Demo are terrific.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You guys didn't know the boingy thing is a Jew's harp?

Those things are very scary to play.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Caucasus Belli posted:

I fondly remember when I first heard that, I hurt myself laughing.

In other news, why have I only now finally got round to checking out The Ruins of Beverast? Unlock the Shrine is a terrific album, it's very inventive throughout.

I tried listening to Kallathon, but the copy I found is unlistenably bassy as gently caress. Arizmenda remains my only successful foray into the BTC stuff for now.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Hellwuzzat posted:

I just love their mouth harp, too :colbert:. The carnyx is one I'm waiting to hear in some folky battle funtime metal, though. I'd take that over the boing harp.

That looks awesome.

Now I want to take one to a soccer match.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
edit-- Whoops wrong metal thread.

Content: I had a Jew's Harp when I was little but couldn't figure out how to play the drat thing.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Latis posted:

You guys didn't know the boingy thing is a Jew's harp?

Those things are very scary to play.

It's true, they hurt badly if you do it wrong.

Plasma - thanks man, but I just moved and don't have any spare cash. I'll keep this in mind though, sounds great!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hellwuzzat posted:

Reminds me of the horns at the beginning of Kroda's Pathways of Fate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgiIN3YyKns

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Hey, I'm pretty new to the black metal scene, so apologies if the answer is really obvious: Are there any black metal bands that have female vocalists, not clean singing, but actually doing BM shrieks? There's no doubt in my mind that it's physically possible, but I've never heard of any existing.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Cobweb Heart posted:

Hey, I'm pretty new to the black metal scene, so apologies if the answer is really obvious: Are there any black metal bands that have female vocalists, not clean singing, but actually doing BM shrieks? There's no doubt in my mind that it's physically possible, but I've never heard of any existing.

Darkestrah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Ic2g3umoI&feature=related

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I've been listening to them for a long time now and never knew the vocalist was female. She's pretty great I guess!

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Yall probably knew this but Angantyr's new album Svik is out on the 17th along with 1000-copy digipack reissues of Hævn, Sejr and Kampen Fortsætter (the latter includes a reissue of the Endeløs demo as well)

Cobweb Heart posted:

Nocra, for one

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Proclick zone. These guys are great, especially their newer stuff.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cobweb Heart posted:

The reason you don't hear about it much is because harsh vocals sound like harsh vocals regardless of sex generally, probably partially because women are specifically emulating previous male vocalists but also just because I think any vocal differences are probably intrinsically less obvious with harsh vocals

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cobweb Heart posted:

Gallhammer is good, especially their first album.

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Sometimes I envy the deutschgoons.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Neato, thanks for the responses.

Horrorca
Mar 24, 2010
Got this LP today!

And this!

The CD... the LP is selling at Ebay for $150 or something stupid like that.

I've been checking out the recommendations some of you gave me a while ago. I quite enjoyed the Castevet songs I heard, so I ordered "Mounds of Ash". Let's see how that goes. Thanks everyone.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

het posted:

The reason you don't hear about it much is because harsh vocals sound like harsh vocals regardless of sex generally, probably partially because women are specifically emulating previous male vocalists but also just because I think any vocal differences are probably intrinsically less obvious with harsh vocals

When I was first new to metal, I thought the singers in Аркона and Arch Enemy were male.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Latis posted:

When I was first new to metal, I thought the singers in Аркона and Arch Enemy were male.

Any other female-fronted black metal bands worth seeking out? This Darkestrah thing is pretty awesome and Аркона goes without saying.

Horrorca
Mar 24, 2010

iastudent posted:

Any other female-fronted black metal bands worth seeking out? This Darkestrah thing is pretty awesome and Аркона goes without saying.

Gallhammer from Japan.

Absolute Hellhammer worship.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Just remembered Astarte, although I don't actually remember if they were any good or not. I think I recall enjoying the first release or two and then half of them quit and it went less-good. You might give them a look.

And if we're expanding to non-BM harsh female vocals, I still love Shadow's first release. It's totally derivative Japanese melo-death but it's so much fun that I cannot be mad at it for this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23gkhdJqULg

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Horrorca posted:

Gallhammer from Japan.

Absolute Hellhammer worship.

Nthing the Gallhammer love.

Mika is my favorite. I missed the chance to see them live a while back, and I'm still kicking myself over that.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 1, 2010

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sigh is another band that uses extreme female vocals. May not technically count as a female-fronted band (although they do tend to put Dr. Mikannibal in a visible spot on stage). Her vocals are closer to a death growl thing, though, deeper and meatier than Mirai's own voice.

(And the "female death growl" brings to mind the legendary Thorr's Hammer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWGiNLbmhs -- though by then we're pretty far from black metal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Groke posted:

(And the "female death growl" brings to mind the legendary Thorr's Hammer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWGiNLbmhs -- though by then we're pretty far from black metal).

Holy poo poo, thank you for showing me this. These people are awesome.