Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

TheUnforgiven posted:

IP question about use of "logo for a faction in a video game, the logo of a superhero, or artwork based off of games."

There is, of course, a complicated answer to this. But the quick and dirty version is this: copyright covers original works (books, song, movies, etc.) and trademark covers marks (typically logos and stylized writing) used in trade. The things you are talking about are most likely covered under trademark law. The Superman logo, for instance, is a registered trademark. So, too, is the symbol the rebels use in the Star Wars universe. Et cetera. If you are curious about whether a mark is registered, you can use the USPTO Search. Do note, however, that even if it's not registered, that does not mean it is not protected by law.

As for how that impacts your business model, it really is complicated and you should consult an attorney in the field. I hope your model goes beyond printing up shirts adorned with the Weighted Companion Cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Wyatt posted:

There is, of course, a complicated answer to this. But the quick and dirty version is this: copyright covers original works (books, song, movies, etc.) and trademark covers marks (typically logos and stylized writing) used in trade. The things you are talking about are most likely covered under trademark law. The Superman logo, for instance, is a registered trademark. So, too, is the symbol the rebels use in the Star Wars universe. Et cetera. If you are curious about whether a mark is registered, you can use the USPTO Search. Do note, however, that even if it's not registered, that does not mean it is not protected by law.

As for how that impacts your business model, it really is complicated and you should consult an attorney in the field. I hope your model goes beyond printing up shirts adorned with the Weighted Companion Cube.

This is pretty much the quick answer I was looking for. I do plan on consulting an attorney in the field and I just wanted some basic info before I go set up an appointment with one to discuss these things.

I have zero plans on doing shirts using the Companion Cube or anything like that.
Thanks a ton. I appreciate it!

Actie
Jun 7, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

It sounds like you have a lot of his information already, but what about the check you wrote him? When the canceled check comes back to you in either paper or digital form it should have his bank account information or his ID written on the back.

Well, the check he wrote me--which bounced--is drawn from some bunk generic business account. So I have the account info, but don't think there's much I can do.

The checks I wrote him--my bank lets me see the back of them, but the resolution is too poor for me to make out his account number.

Anyway, I learned a lot about him today. For instance, there are a couple warrants out for him in MA (where he spent a couple months in jail). He may also be wanted in CA. But, unfortunately, the NYPD won't help me at all. They claim it's a civil matter. They wouldn't even file a report. And, apparently, I'm not the first person they've turned away like this about this case.

Suggestions?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Actie posted:

Well, the check he wrote me--which bounced--is drawn from some bunk generic business account. So I have the account info, but don't think there's much I can do.

The checks I wrote him--my bank lets me see the back of them, but the resolution is too poor for me to make out his account number.

Anyway, I learned a lot about him today. For instance, there are a couple warrants out for him in MA (where he spent a couple months in jail). He may also be wanted in CA. But, unfortunately, the NYPD won't help me at all. They claim it's a civil matter. They wouldn't even file a report. And, apparently, I'm not the first person they've turned away like this about this case.

Suggestions?

Someone else may have better advice for you about the cops, but on the bank issue I believe you can request the actual check mailed to you. Electronic copies are provided in lieu of more expensive originals, but the paper copies are on file and can be pulled (may require an additional fee).

Not sure exactly what that would provide you with though. It sounds like he's been working the system for awhile so odds are the account is since closed.

EDIT: Regarding the business check he wrote, you may be able to involve the police in that. Him defrauding you in a contract is a civil manner. However writing a known bad check may fall within kiting laws which includes criminal penalties.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 30, 2010

OzzyBlood
Sep 29, 2008

Actie posted:

Suggestions?

I read Actie's post and I really can't find anything he did wrong when trying to rent this apartment. He met with the renter in person, gave him a cheque and not cash, signed a lease agreement. I'm going on assumptions that the place wasn't a dive and that the renter didn't look like a cracked out toothless bum, what other steps could Actie have done to protect himself? I genuinely feel bad for you dude. Most people who get scammed by "Renter is on vacation in nigeria so they want me to western union first and last months rent to them" don't get as much sympathy from me as common sense should kick in for them. So just for learning and awareness purposes, are there any other additional measures he could have taken?

Once again, sorry man, I hope you get your money back and this guy gets put in prison.

ThisIsIntense
Mar 18, 2010

MY POSTING IS WORSE THAN 9/11. ALSO, I WANT BALLS IN AND AROUND MY MOUTH. THAT IS ALL.
delete

ThisIsIntense fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 31, 2010

Actie
Jun 7, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Someone else may have better advice for you about the cops, but on the bank issue I believe you can request the actual check mailed to you. Electronic copies are provided in lieu of more expensive originals, but the paper copies are on file and can be pulled (may require an additional fee).

Not sure exactly what that would provide you with though. It sounds like he's been working the system for awhile so odds are the account is since closed.

EDIT: Regarding the business check he wrote, you may be able to involve the police in that. Him defrauding you in a contract is a civil manner. However writing a known bad check may fall within kiting laws which includes criminal penalties.

I'll see what I can do on the account front. As to the cops, I still have no idea. I certainly tried to tell them about the bounced check, but they wouldn't listen and basically shooed me out. I thought it was basically because my situation was too small fry, but the person after me yapped them off for 20 minutes about his stolen iPhone, and they let him file a report. Meanwhile, I was trying to alert them to an ex-con and scammer-at-large who lives literally ONE building over from the police department, and they wouldn't let me finish a single sentence.

OzzyBlood posted:

I read Actie's post and I really can't find anything he did wrong when trying to rent this apartment. He met with the renter in person, gave him a cheque and not cash, signed a lease agreement. I'm going on assumptions that the place wasn't a dive and that the renter didn't look like a cracked out toothless bum, what other steps could Actie have done to protect himself? I genuinely feel bad for you dude. Most people who get scammed by "Renter is on vacation in nigeria so they want me to western union first and last months rent to them" don't get as much sympathy from me as common sense should kick in for them. So just for learning and awareness purposes, are there any other additional measures he could have taken?

Once again, sorry man, I hope you get your money back and this guy gets put in prison.

Thanks for the sympathy. While I think myself savvy enough not to have done anything blatantly wrong, there were certainly a couple clues I overlooked.

Firstly, the scammer didn't look like a toothless bum, but I had a hard time believing all his tales anyway. He claimed to have done things like produce movies and flip houses for big profits, and I could tell he was too young and too inexperienced to actually have done these things. (Plus no Internet records of it--but then, he does have an extremely common name.) Instead of getting suspicious, I pegged him for the blathering, self-aggrandizing type and moved on.

Secondly, and more importantly, the apartment was not only not a dive but was really, really nice. In fact, way nicer than the monthly rent the scammer requested would merit. I should have thought, This is too good to be true. Instead, I thought: wow! What a deal!

Turns out, I didn't find a nice deal living with a braggart. I found a voluble, clever scammer who, I've since learned, stole tens of thousands of dollars from people before me. Which is why I'll probably never see me $2k again, and why I'll never try to find a roommate on Craigslist again.

EDIT: Removing a personal detail I accidentally let slip.

Actie fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 31, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mousse420 posted:

:words:

What state are you in?

ThisIsIntense
Mar 18, 2010

MY POSTING IS WORSE THAN 9/11. ALSO, I WANT BALLS IN AND AROUND MY MOUTH. THAT IS ALL.
deleted

ThisIsIntense fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 31, 2010

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
A friend of mine recently got pulled over in Iowa while driving cross country from Maryland to California, here is his story:

quote:

Here is the story of what happened to me in Iowa:

As I drove the new 2010 car with temporary plates into Iowa, the first thing I noticed was a large police presence, similar to the LIE, much larger than any of the other states I drove through. That should have been an indication to drop well below the speed limit of 70 mph and pull into the right lane. Unfortunately, I continued along at about 70 mph, and didn’t use the cruise control. I was in the fast lane, where the truckers weren’t spewing rocks upon the new car. You can guess what happened next.

Waiting at the bottom of a hill was an Iowa State Trooper in a new gray Dodge Charger who blended perfectly into the background of oncoming traffic and the median upon which he was parked. He saw me well before I saw him, but when I did see him; I instinctively took my foot off the gas as a precautionary measure. As I passed by, I saw his head turn, clearly picking me out of the crowd.

I thought “Great! I didn’t have the cruise control on…How fast was I going?” I never saw him pull out in the mirrors, but he was definitely right next to me, waving at me to pull over.

Stopped on the roadside in the middle of Iowa, the Trooper comes over to my passenger side door. I said “Hello sir, may I ask why you pulled me over?” To which he replied “I noticed you were going 74, the speed here is 70. Also, I couldn’t tell where your plates [the temporary plates] were from. Can I see your license and registration?” I said “sure” and proceeded to pull my license out of my wallet which was bulging with small denomination bills for my cross country trip. He took immediate interest in that. I opened the glove box to grab the other paperwork as he curiously peered in there as well. I handed the paperwork to him and he got on the radio and said “We have one suitcase in the back.” He poked his head back into my window and said “please step out of the car.” Something told me this wasn’t just about driving a little over the speed limit.

I began to worry that I had unknowingly broken some strange Iowa State law, and asked “Is there a problem sir?” He explained “No, I just need you to take a seat in my car and sign something on my screen.” I sat in the passenger seat of the Charger where he explained that I was pulled over because I was traveling 4 mph over the limit, and he couldn’t ascertain the origin of my temporary plates. He added that these plates are easy to fake, and he wanted to make sure that wasn’t the case. They were all real, and I actually expected to be pulled over because of them even before leaving.

After calling in to make sure I had no criminal history or warrants, of which I have neither, the Trooper told me that he was letting me off with a warning. “No points, no fines, I just need you to sign the screen.” I signed it and he told me I was free to go. I got out of the car and headed back to my car, at the same time he got out of his seat as if there was just one more thing he wanted to add.

He asked “By the way, do you have any drugs in the car, or anything illegal?” I told him the truth “No I don’t.” He asked “Do you mind if I take a look? You do have the right to refuse a search.” This is where I could have saved myself a lot of time. I already lost 15 minutes while he wrote up my warning, and just wanted to get back on the road since I had a 15 hour drive ahead of me. I said politely “No, I don’t consent to a search, I’m really just trying to get back on the road.” That was the wrong answer apparently; he clearly had it in his head that I possessed some sort of contraband.

The Trooper said “Alright, you’re now being detained, please have a seat in the passenger side of my car.” He got on the radio “We have a refusal of consent; we’re stopped at [location].” The Trooper began filling out a form entitled “Consent to Search Form” as he explained that the K-9 unit was on its way, and if the K-9 signaled, they would have probable cause to search the vehicle and if it didn’t, then I was free to go. He then tried to get me to sign the consent to search form by saying “Some people just write REFUSED at the bottom.” I knew that, legally speaking, you could draw a squiggly line or even a smiley face and that’s legally considered your signature. I politely told him I wasn’t going to sign it.

At this point I heard the trooper breathing heavily, probably from adrenaline; he must have thought I had something terrible to hide. I mean why else would someone refuse to let a stranger rummage through their personal belongings?

The K-9 unit finally showed up about 15 minutes later. The K-9 officer explained the routine to me and proceeded to let the dog sniff around the car. It went around once and even sniffed in the open window without doing anything. The second time around, the K-9 officer stopped at the rear driver’s side door and was tapping at it much longer than anywhere else. The dog, looking more at the officer than my car, sat down. That was the signal.

The dog was taken back to his car and the K-9 officer came to where I was waiting and said “Alright, the dog signaled that you have something near the rear driver’s side door.” He waited for me to say something. I replied “Ok.” He told me “This gives us probable cause to search your vehicle.” I replied “I understand.” Even in hindsight, I don’t know what that dog smelled, or if it smelled anything at all, but I did notice that all the officers I spoke to smelled like they were sprayed by skunks.

By this time, there were about 5 police cars lined up behind me. The chief even showed up. He didn’t say anything to me; he just stood behind me and was staring. It was a little creepy. Now, the trunk was open, the doors were open, and my suitcase was being rifled through. They were looking in the lining of my suitcase, taking clothes out, and going through my nicely folded pants pockets. Unable to find anything, the Trooper came back to where I was sitting and said “If you have something in there you can make it easy on yourself and tell me now. If we find something, it’ll only be harder for you later on.” I said “Ok, there’s nothing illegal in there.” I was now stopped for about 45 minutes with about 6 police cars behind me.

He grabbed a stethoscope from his back seat and I thought he was going to check my vitals, but instead he went up to the tires and began tapping them and listening for something inside. They were looking down inside the car door panels, checking the engine, and knocking for secret compartments in the trunk.

By the 1 hour mark, the 6 or 7 Troopers were scratching their heads, as it finally dawned on them that I was actually telling the truth, and didn’t have any contraband. They put everything back in place, and were even nice enough to pick some of the straw out of the floor mats that they dirtied up. I asked them to stay so I could make sure all of my possessions were in order. Everything was there. They didn’t take any money or my laptop or anything. But they did open my video camera and mess up some of the settings, presumably to play back my videos of the open road and state signs, as well as look at the calendar on my phone.

I asked them how I can avoid having this happen again, they replied “Drive the speed limit and make sure you keep that registration with you.” I thanked them and drove away, using the cruise control for the remainder of my journey.

so tldr; Friend got pulled over for speeding, was asked for permission to search car, refused, and was detained until a K9 unit could get there. Cop did not say he was pulled over for anything else other than speeding and having temp plates.

Is that unlawful detention?

Not really looking to sue or anything, but I would be interested in what the law (at least in Iowa) is in regards to this.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 30, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mousse420 posted:

I'm not asking what the "right" thing to do is, it's in the title. LEGAL question.

If only you had been a teensy bit more concerned about what the right thing to do was before, you might not have to worry so much about the legal thing now.

But since you're not my client, I don't have to do anything if you come here asking how to continue doing things that are both wrong and illegal.

P.S. You've admitted to breaking the law in your post on a public forum; you might want to consider editing/deleting it.

ThisIsIntense
Mar 18, 2010

deleted

ThisIsIntense fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 31, 2010

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mousse420 posted:

How did I break the law? by believing a lie? By buying a computer from someone in a private transaction, when I had no idea it was gotten with stolen money?

I don't think you really understand that he was using a web of lies to make this all sound ok. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I honestly didn't even think the money I gave him was going to dope but I DEFINITELY wouldn't have gotten involved if I'd known he was using stolen money. Exactly how much are you expecting me to have looked a gift horse in the mouth? The receipts had his girlfriend's name on them, not his mom's.

It should also be noted I've addressed the points you bring up already.

The mom will have to file a police report before the bank credits back any of the purchases. That means implicating her son, you, or both. You already know who she believes so yeah, I'd be prepared for a visit from the police. At that point it's your word against your buddy's. He can't say he had nothing to do with it, but he can sure say you guys did it together.

Fortunately you have all the stuff whereas he spent all the cash on crack. That gives you a little bit of leverage in case the cops do come calling. It also might help in your defense since you'd be a really stupid criminal to use your own address to receive stolen goods by mail.

Also, if you buy stolen property you don't get to keep that property after you find out its stolen.

Actie
Jun 7, 2005

Actie posted:

Turns out, I didn't find a nice deal living with a braggart. I found a voluble, clever scammer who, I've since learned, stole tens of thousands of dollars from people before me. Which is why I'll probably never see me $2k again, and why I'll never try to find a roommate on Craigslist again.

UPDATE: The scammer has initiated a PayPal transfer to me. It's for the amount that he owes me, and it's by eCheck. It says it won't clear until Friday.

I'm completely unfamiliar with PayPal, though I do have a Premier account. Sorry to waylay this thread--but could someone tell me if he has any way of canceling the payment? Is there any chance payment won't go through? If he can pay by eCheck, wouldn't that also mean he can make an instant payment?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Actie posted:

UPDATE: The scammer has initiated a PayPal transfer to me. It's for the amount that he owes me, and it's by eCheck. It says it won't clear until Friday.

I'm completely unfamiliar with PayPal, though I do have a Premier account. Sorry to waylay this thread--but could someone tell me if he has any way of canceling the payment? Is there any chance payment won't go through? If he can pay by eCheck, wouldn't that also mean he can make an instant payment?

It's account dependant. I've had problems before where I couldn't make an instant payment over a certain amount and it made me do an eCheck instead.

ThisIsIntense
Mar 18, 2010

deleted

ThisIsIntense fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 31, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Mousse420 posted:

What if I get rid of the computer and it's not here when cops get here? Or will they even come inside my house? They would need a search warrant to do that, wouldn't they? What is the likelihood of them getting one of those for me?

Look, they've got records of the stuff that was charged, and they'll have records of where it was shipped to. That's probably more than enough for probable cause, so maybe you should take a break from having :420: in your house for awhile.

You're not going to get to keep the stuff, it was fraudulently obtained. E: the pipe is obviously a problem. Offer to compensate her for it.

If this woman is intent on going after you, you might need a lawyer.

Incredulous Red fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 31, 2010

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mousse420 posted:

What if I get rid of the computer and it's not here when cops get here? Or will they even come inside my house? They would need a search warrant to do that, wouldn't they? What is the likelihood of them getting one of those for me?

Yeah, get rid of the evidence that was mailed to your address. Use thermite on the harddrive just to be sure. Other people here will say that's bad advice, but that's only because their parents paid for them to go to some hotty totty law school.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mousse420 posted:

What if I get rid of the computer and it's not here when cops get here?
This won't make you look any more guilty or anything.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Mousse420 posted:

How did I break the law? by believing a lie? By buying a computer from someone in a private transaction, when I had no idea it was gotten with stolen money?

I don't think you really understand that he was using a web of lies to make this all sound ok. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I honestly didn't even think the money I gave him was going to dope but I DEFINITELY wouldn't have gotten involved if I'd known he was using stolen money. Exactly how much are you expecting me to have looked a gift horse in the mouth? The receipts had his girlfriend's name on them, not his mom's.

It should also be noted I've addressed the points you bring up already.

Can anyone give me actual legal advice instead of condescending/judgemental lectures?

You assisted in a crime. You benefited from this crime. You left a voice message admitting to your involvement. You then posted about your involvement on a public forum. You're actively working on trying to keep your stolen goods. What is so hard for you to figure out?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I would seriously advise goons to consider not engaging in this continual discussion. You know, that ethical obligation and all.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

A friend of mine recently got pulled over in Iowa while driving cross country from Maryland to California, here is his story:

so tldr; Friend got pulled over for speeding, was asked for permission to search car, refused, and was detained until a K9 unit could get there. Cop did not say he was pulled over for anything else other than speeding and having temp plates.

Is that unlawful detention?

Not really looking to sue or anything, but I would be interested in what the law (at least in Iowa) is in regards to this.

This speaks to a violation of 42 USC 1983 for 1st and 4th Amendment reasons. I.e. you can sue for retaliation and unreasonable search and seizure.

Winning against a police department is almost impossible for serious crimes, you will not win this case unless a neutral third party videotaped it and the video tape is incriminating.

Murica.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

This speaks to a violation of 42 USC 1983 for 1st and 4th Amendment reasons. I.e. you can sue for retaliation and unreasonable search and seizure.

Winning against a police department is almost impossible for serious crimes, you will not win this case unless a neutral third party videotaped it and the video tape is incriminating.

Murica.

Any way of preventing this from happening other than being richer and whiter?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

hobbesmaster posted:

Driving the speed limit would be a start. Don't give cops a reason to pull you over.

(In this case, the driver was bound to get pulled over because of the out-of-state temp plates. They are indeed easy to forge, and are a popular means of concealing a stolen car.)

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

MalConstant posted:

Well I called another lawyer and he wanted to charge me $1750! This guy promised me that he could get the charges dropped because the case was bullshit and that I would be looking at some time in jail if I tried to defend myself..

I was told that for the $750, the lawyer would take care of everything and I wouldn't have to show up for my court date and there would be no additional fees unless there was a trial. Now all I have to do is come up with the money...

It looks like I'll be going into this without a lawyer. My court date is in 2 weeks and I make poo poo for money so I'll be defending myself. Dad won't help with lawyer because he's already helping me with my car. gently caress.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

hobbesmaster posted:

I would try being richer and whiter first, but failing that APPEARING richer and whiter will probably help.

I.e. don't drive a beater, don't have tinted windows, be very polite to the police, wear nice clothes, don't speed, and most relevantly here get rid of your temp plates (anecdotally cops like to bust out of towners because it's harder to challenge the ticket).

Small town cops can make your life hell, don't go to small towns if you can help it, and if you have to go, try to look respectable/responsible in hopes that the cops will target someone darker/poorer than you.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Murica.

What if in theory they actually did find something? Could that evidence be thrown out fairly easily in court during a criminal trial? Compared to a civil suit which (i think) you are referring to?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

What if in theory they actually did find something? Could that evidence be thrown out fairly easily in court during a criminal trial? Compared to a civil suit which (i think) you are referring to?

That all depends on what reasonable suspicion the officer articulates for calling in the K-9 unit. Refusal to consent to a search is not, in itself, grounds to execute a search.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

It depends on whether the judge thought that the 15 minutes to get the dog "unreasonably prolonged" the traffic stop. Since the Trooper said your friend was free to go before he called for the dog, I'd say yes.

However, the Trooper could say that he was just trying to get your friend to consent and that he really had an independent legitimate basis to detain you. (out of State temp tags, nervousness (or calmness and questioning the trooper) single driver using a drug corridor, eagerness to leave, wallet bulging with small denomination bills (good thing he was north of the Mason-Dixon line - it might have been civilly forfeited if he was a couple states south) the possible list of reasons is as long as your imagination.)
That being said, if the Trooper took this line, cross-examining him on this b.s would make my week. (and I've already had a good week)

Porky_Oboe
Dec 17, 2005

Take your ME109 and shove it up your piss-hole.
I'll keep this brief.

Is it possible for an employer to legally withold pay from me after I've quit?

I was still inside my "trial period", having worked there just under six months and obvioulsy didn't give notice, as I told them where to stick the job.

My final salary was due to go in today but it's failed to turn up and mysteriously, my ex-manager has been ducking my phonecalls all day, so I guess they decided not to pay me. Isn't that illegal?

I'm in the UK, and I'm a British citizen by the way.

Thanks

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Porky_Oboe posted:

I'll keep this brief.

Is it possible for an employer to legally withold pay from me after I've quit?

I was still inside my "trial period", having worked there just under six months and obvioulsy didn't give notice, as I told them where to stick the job.

My final salary was due to go in today but it's failed to turn up and mysteriously, my ex-manager has been ducking my phonecalls all day, so I guess they decided not to pay me. Isn't that illegal?

I'm in the UK, and I'm a British citizen by the way.

Thanks

What does your contract say about notice?

Porky_Oboe
Dec 17, 2005

Alchenar posted:

What does your contract say about notice?

It does say 1 month should be given if possible when resigning. It doesn't say anything about witholding pay though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Solomon Grundy posted:

Different states have different rules on this issue. In my state, in order to sue for negligent infliction of emotional distress, you have to be in the "zone of danger." If you were at risk from the horrible event, you can sue, but if you are merely a spectator, you can't. In other words, if a car splats a kid 3 feet in front of you, missing you by inches, you were in the zone of danger. Watching Shamu munch a trainer, not so much.

A twist in the case!

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blotter/seaworld-says-lawyer-threatened-to-have-family-appear-887255.html

quote:

ORLANDO -- SeaWorld released a statement claiming that the lawyer for a family suing the company threatened to have them appear on Oprah. The family has sued the theme park after witnessing the whale attack that killed trainer Dawn Brancheau in February.

"SeaWorld was contacted in March by an attorney claiming to represent the Connell family who threatened to have the family appear on Oprah Winfrey's talk show if the company did not immediately agree to a cash payment," the company wrote in the statement.

The family's lawyer denied it Friday and, on an early morning program, said he wanted SeaWorld to take some kind of responsibility.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

That could be considered criminal extortion under the laws of my state. It is fine to threaten to bring a lawsuit, but if you threaten media exposure, even if the information is true, in order to extract a payment, it can be a criminal violation. It is that sort of thing that got Letterman's accuser in trouble.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Porky_Oboe posted:

It does say 1 month should be given if possible when resigning. It doesn't say anything about witholding pay though.

In America they couldn't withhold pay. England has better labor laws than America. Find a limeylawyer to confirm his.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
e- nevermind

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008
So I have what should be an easy one.

I was issued a ticket for having a minor at a party with alcohol in Arizona. The charges were dropped and that was the end of it. Talking with a few people they said that Arizona keeps everything on public record forever and that I have to disclose the ticket as an arrest on job applications. Is this true, do I have to disclose this forever now?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In America they couldn't withhold pay. England has better labor laws than America. Find a limeylawyer to confirm his.

My completely uninformed gut response is that he's owed the money but his employer can claim costs if his lack of reasonable notice caused them losses.

Advice: Go to your local CAB and talk to them. Phone up the company and request your final wages, with a request for reasons if they refuse. If all else fails: take them to the Employment Tribunal. It won't cost you anything except for a bit of time and you can do it all yourself.

Porky_Oboe
Dec 17, 2005

Thanks for the help chaps, but I've spoken to her today and its getting sorted.

She claimed I wasn't owed anything because of breach of contract, but I told her I'd be willing to take it to an employment tribunal if I had to and she folded like a deck chair, so I'm guessing she knew it wasn't legal.

This is what pisses me off about call centre managers. She's used to dealing with 18/19 year old kids who can be pushed around because they don't know they can do anything about it. Makes me loving sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porky_Oboe
Dec 17, 2005

sorry, double post.