Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

So what if you killed Gunther already or kill him right there, and also kill Navarre?

You can't kill him until Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Party Plane Jones posted:

You can't kill him until Paris.

Really? Well that's awfully gay. So much for FREEDOM in this game!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Really? Well that's awfully gay. So much for FREEDOM in this game!

The Nameless Mod plays about with this.

When you meet the villain for the first time, you may think "heh, what if I kill him now huh?" It's hard, but doable. Once he's dead though, you get whisked away to a wireframe room where an avatar of the development team calmly explains that you can't just kill any plot character at any time, because it would necessitate huge amounts of coding and voice acting and so on. Then it's like "now I am going to kill you" and you're like "eh, go for it." Then you die. Hope you saved!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The Nameless Mod has a lot of opportunities to kill main characters and have the plot change if I remember correctly. In fact the game as a whole has more freedom than all of Deus Ex (probably combined Invisible War). Too bad nobody played it :(

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The Nameless Mod has a lot of opportunities to kill main characters and have the plot change if I remember correctly. In fact the game as a whole has more freedom than all of Deus Ex (probably combined Invisible War). Too bad nobody played it :(

Everybody here hated it because it had, gasp, Internet humour in places. Although granted, the opening area is not a good introduction.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ok, I think I have to abandon my 'no kills' playthrough in my 2nd visit to New York. I'm still stuck in this UNATCO Vs. Riot Cop gang war and UNATCO troops keep spawning endlessly everytime I try to make contact with Dowd.

Only reason I even played no kills was for the different dialogue choices which I've neglected to discover for the past 10 years. But, I get the impression it doesn't even matter after Lebedev, does it?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Not as far as I remember, although there will be some different bits of dialogue in certain areas. Later in the game it's more for being psychopathic than humane, like Dowd's mechanic.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, how do you save Paul after the business with the NSF base? Do I just need to help him kill the soldiers and MIBs that bust into his room, or do I need to clear out the hotel altogether?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Actually had a weird bug. I decided to give Deus Ex another playthrough and yesterday made it to the encounter in Paul's apartment with the MiB's. I ended up letting Paul do most of the work as I was trying to be non-lethal when all of a sudden, Paul was gone. Now everyone was shooting at me!

So I reloaded it as I had done a quicksave like 10 seconds earlier. Same thing! Paul was gone again. I reloaded again and ran as quick as I could to where I last saw Paul in hopes of seeing where he went. Oh, well, he was there now, but for some reason he didn't want to fire on the soldiers in the lobby unless they were actively attacking us. Eventually I lose sight of him for a couple of seconds and he disappears again!

Evidently I saved right before Paul was supposed to disappear after leaving my view. I eventually gave up trying to save him and was unable to muster the dedication to fight my way out of the 'ton, knowing that going through the window in the back was the cowards way out. I got killed, ended up in the cell, and it turns out Paul's alive.

In short, I have no idea what causes Paul to live or die exactly, but I do know that going out the back window means Paul dies no matter what you do.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

So, how do you save Paul after the business with the NSF base? Do I just need to help him kill the soldiers and MIBs that bust into his room, or do I need to clear out the hotel altogether?

If you leave through the window, Paul dies. If you leave through the front door he lives. The soldiers don't matter at all, for determining if he lives.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Actually had a weird bug. I decided to give Deus Ex another playthrough and yesterday made it to the encounter in Paul's apartment with the MiB's. I ended up letting Paul do most of the work as I was trying to be non-lethal when all of a sudden, Paul was gone. Now everyone was shooting at me!

So I reloaded it as I had done a quicksave like 10 seconds earlier. Same thing! Paul was gone again. I reloaded again and ran as quick as I could to where I last saw Paul in hopes of seeing where he went. Oh, well, he was there now, but for some reason he didn't want to fire on the soldiers in the lobby unless they were actively attacking us. Eventually I lose sight of him for a couple of seconds and he disappears again!

Evidently I saved right before Paul was supposed to disappear after leaving my view. I eventually gave up trying to save him and was unable to muster the dedication to fight my way out of the 'ton, knowing that going through the window in the back was the cowards way out. I got killed, ended up in the cell, and it turns out Paul's alive.

In short, I have no idea what causes Paul to live or die exactly, but I do know that going out the back window means Paul dies no matter what you do.

So if I decide to attempt to fight my way out, but die before I make it out of the 'Ton (That is a stupid name. Took me a few minutes to figure out it was a nickname for 'Hilton'), Paul will live?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If I had to guess it was either the fact that the hotel room itself was cleared, or something to do with Paul's ninja disappearance.

Also there's a lot of little funny things I'm noticing this playthrough. I went to face Manderley back at UNATCO HQ and he says something to the effect of "Security knows you're here, you'll never make it out of the building alive". I hadn't yet set off an alarm so my resistance was two guys sitting in an office downstairs, one guy sitting in an office upstairs, and the guy manning the retinal scanner who I just ran past. Oh yeah and the friendly guy at the front desk.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Any time after you start the raid with Paul, you can safely die and you just end up at the MJ12 facility. I remember seeing a speedrun where the guy got hit in the torso enough that he just smoked a pack of cigarettes right after he finished the conversation and then the game continued from there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fuzz posted:

So what if you killed Gunther already or kill him right there, and also kill Navarre?

Gunther has plot invincibility until the castle, I think.

E;FB

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

If I had to guess it was either the fact that the hotel room itself was cleared, or something to do with Paul's ninja disappearance.

I've had Paul disappear too and I can assure you that it has nothing to do with that. It's as simple as this:

If (Your Exit == Back Window)
{Paul = Dead}
Else
{Paul = Alive}

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

Any time after you start the raid with Paul, you can safely die and you just end up at the MJ12 facility. I remember seeing a speedrun where the guy got hit in the torso enough that he just smoked a pack of cigarettes right after he finished the conversation and then the game continued from there.

Yeah, I think that was my favorite part of that speed run. The entire time I kept thinking "what's he holding onto those cigarettes for?" and it was worth it.

My second favorite part came immediately after, when I learned how to glitch the game so that you can just drop your inventory and pick it right back up in your cell in the MJ12 base rather than having to fight to the armory. Rearranging my inventory at the armory was always one of my least favorite parts.

At any rate the point is that all the other posts are right, the only thing that will get Paul killed is you leaving through the window. I recently tried just letting the MIBs and troopers that stormed the apartment kill me and Paul lived.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm in the Catacombs and talking to Chad. For the hell of it, I tried to kill him and much to my surprise I actually killed him!

This is the very first time you meet him. Uh, has anyone played through with dead Chad? I reloaded and I'll try it out on my subsequent psychopathic everyone-must-die playthrough but what changes?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
In the unmodded game, if you exit through the window at all, Paul dies. With Shifter it's changed so he only dies if you exit through the window and the attack is in progress; if you kill everyone then leave when the hotel is safe Paul lives.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Everybody here hated it because it had, gasp, Internet humour in places. Although granted, the opening area is not a good introduction.

The depths of SA's self-loathing would probably fascinate any psychiatrist.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Male Man posted:

He always shows up. You run into him on the way back to the helicopter. He wanders around and won't actually kill Lebedev in-engine, but NPCs refer to it later on.

Yeah, I knew he was there, I just didn't know about the NPCs refering to it. I though you guys meant he would come on the plane and kill him.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Unlucky7 posted:

So if I decide to attempt to fight my way out, but die before I make it out of the 'Ton (That is a stupid name. Took me a few minutes to figure out it was a nickname for 'Hilton'), Paul will live?

Sorry to ask an off-topic question but where does your avatar come from? I keep seeing them everywhere.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Alright, finished up Deus Ex for the 700th time. Moving on to Invisible War and besides that ghetto ini hack to get widescreen, is there anything else for it? Anything like the Deus Ex Fixer EXE?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

XausF1 posted:

Alright, finished up Deus Ex for the 700th time. Moving on to Invisible War and besides that ghetto ini hack to get widescreen, is there anything else for it? Anything like the Deus Ex Fixer EXE?

There's a bunch of graphical upgrades done by John P but that's about it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a bunch of graphical upgrades done by John P but that's about it.

Well, that's something. Thanks, but the guys website is 509ing hard. :(

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

XausF1 posted:

Well, that's something. Thanks, but the guys website is 509ing hard. :(

I keep a copy of his Texture Pack and the DXTool (useful for tweaking the game) on my server since his tends to die over and over again :shobon: : http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx2/

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tecman posted:

I keep a copy of his Texture Pack and the DXTool (useful for tweaking the game) on my server since his tends to die over and over again :shobon: : http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx2/

Hey oh, thanks a bunch. :)

I'll keep that bookmarked for the future since I uninstalled DX2 yesterday. Going directly into it after a DX playthrough is not something I would recommend to anyone. :negative:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm getting a glide2x.dll error, downloaded the .dll and now I'm getting a GenPort I/O Generalization Error.

Thoughts?

Moof Strydar
Jul 13, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

I'm getting a glide2x.dll error, downloaded the .dll and now I'm getting a GenPort I/O Generalization Error.

Thoughts?

That's the old 3DFX driver. Don't use it. Change Deus Ex to use OpenGL or DirectX or whatever is available. (You'll need to start in Deus Ex's safe mode)

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
yo I bought the game and am kind of loving it but i'm at a point where enemies have huge fuckoff rocket launchers and laser swords and it seems like the only way to play is to sneak around and one-shot poo poo with your own rockets/laser sword. it's kind of frustrating I thought this game allowed you to play it in many different ways???

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy neutrino posted:

yo I bought the game and am kind of loving it but i'm at a point where enemies have huge fuckoff rocket launchers and laser swords and it seems like the only way to play is to sneak around and one-shot poo poo with your own rockets/laser sword. it's kind of frustrating I thought this game allowed you to play it in many different ways???

Where are you? Remember to use your augmentations, that's what they're there for. And yes, the game puts an emphasis on stealth, but nothing's stopping you from going balls-to-the-wall FPS style and lighting poo poo up. There are usually at least two solutions to every obstacle: Quietly and Noisily. If anything, see if there is another route. They're usually is.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked using the normal pistol with a laser sight and max skills. You can easily just walk through enemy positions and cap them in the head one at a time.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Heavy neutrino posted:

The rocket dudes can be put down pretty quick if you sneak 'em from behind, or you can use the active defense aug to destroy their rockets before they hit you, or you can use the speed aug and dodge around them to get close with a sword, or you can snipe 'em (one rifle headshot kills those guys). Laser sword people are pretty rare, luckily. Attack them with anything except your own laser sword, because they do a lot of melee damage and they explode when they die.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm playing Invisible War (bought it when it was bundled with the first game on Steam for about £3) and I don't know what to do with all these biomod canisters people are handing out like sweeties. I've already upgraded the mods I think are most useful and I'd have to override them to install new ones, wasting the three canisters I used to get there. Am I going to end up lugging dozens of useless canisters around by the end of the game or is there something I can do with them?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
The extra canisters are for the poor schmucks who somehow didn't figure out that hacking is the only aug you'll get down that tree ever at the beginning. Otherwise, they're just dead weight.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm playing Invisible War (bought it when it was bundled with the first game on Steam for about £3) and I don't know what to do with all these biomod canisters people are handing out like sweeties. I've already upgraded the mods I think are most useful and I'd have to override them to install new ones, wasting the three canisters I used to get there. Am I going to end up lugging dozens of useless canisters around by the end of the game or is there something I can do with them?

Much like the rest of that game, they're useless.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm using Shifter and Biomod in my Deus Ex playthrough. Is it possible to go in and mod these mods so the laser pointer makes my pistol stay perfectly still while I'm aiming with it, like it does in the vanilla game?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

GreatGreen posted:

I'm using Shifter and Biomod in my Deus Ex playthrough. Is it possible to go in and mod these mods so the laser pointer makes my pistol stay perfectly still while I'm aiming with it, like it does in the vanilla game?

What is this Biodmod you speak of?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I feel like playing this again are there any finished texture packs for this?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mr. Crow posted:

I feel like playing this again are there any finished texture packs for this?

Pretty much everything you need to know is here. If you crave more look up the enbseries.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What is this Biodmod you speak of?

It's a mod that goes on top of Shifter and tweaks the augs for balance as well as incorporating the only genuinely good idea from IW, passive augs: http://www.moddb.com/mods/biomod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Biomod is absurdly good and well worth a second playthrough of the game alone.

Greatgreen posted:

I think the Shifter options can be modified via a text file, so it'd be something like "change laserpointerpistol in shifter.txt to 0", but I can't properly remember, so that could be complete bollocks.