Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Go with The Naked Island. In part because it's the only one I've seen on your list and in part because it's a masterpiece.

Notorious - Well I think of it as one of Hitchcocks best movies now that I've seen it. Tremendous acting by Bergman, Grant, Rains and Konstantin, astounding cinematography and holy hell what an ending. I found the uranium-story to be a bit secondary: this seems to be more of a movie about jealousy and uncertainty in relationships than anything else, but I'm sure you'll find a new way to interpret this movie in every time you watch it. I think I'll have to see it again tonight. (5/5)

quote:

1. Notorious
1. The Manchurian Candidate, exchanging one of Hitchcocks classics for one of the most beloved thrillers of all time doesn't seem like a weird move.

2. Andrei Rublev, I'm ashamed to admit that I've only seen two of Tarkovskys movies (Mirror, Solaris) but I've always been a bit scared of the running time of this one. It shouldn't really be a problem since I watched loving Heaven's Gate in one sitting once and this one is probably a whole lot better.

3. La Strada, I have a similar track record with Fellini as with Tarkovsky and this must change. I'm not sure why I haven't seen La Strada yet. Probably because I don't like circuses.

4. Down By Law, the stuff I've seen by Jim Jarmusch so far has been great and I love Tom Waits, I really can't explain why I haven't seen this.

5. Gertrud, I saw The Passion of Joan of Arc and was awed by who beautiful it was. I guess Dreyers religiousness has put me off so far.

6. Salo, want to see this mainly because Michael Haneke mentions it as one of his favorite films of all time. I haven't seen it yet because I'm pretty sure it will make me feel like poo poo.

7. Last Tango In Paris, will probably be my first Bertolucci. Imagining a bloated Marlon Brando naked isn't a very pleasant thought.

8. Satantango, I saw Werckmeister Harmonies and loved it. Satantangos massive running time of seven hours have made me reluctant to see it so far.

9. L'avventura, I have so far loved everything I've seen by Antonioni, but I was hellishly tired when I tried to see this one for the first time so I shut it off and went to sleep after half an hour and then had to return it the day after. Bummer.

10. The Leopard, one of the all time greats. Or so I've been told. I guess the prospect of a three hour long Italian melodrama scares me a bit.

Seen: Notorious (5/5)

MonkeeKong fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

MonkeeKong, you get The Manchurian Candidate.

So Chinatown was excellent. It made me remember how much I love Jack Nicholson as well. I'm not sure whether The Two Jakes is worth watching or not though.

#1 Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before. I've had this one on my hard drive for awhile now and I've always been curious about it.

#2 Apocalypse Now - I started watching it about a year ago. I got about thirty minutes in and got too tired to stay up. Never finished it.

#4 The Maltese Falcon - I like noir and my grandpa told me it was great.

#5 There Will Be Blood - I've heard a lot about it.

#6 Dr. Strangelove - I like Kubrick, haven't gotten around to this one.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#8 American History X - Same reason as everything else here.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#12 Barton Fink - I'm a big Coen Brothers fan but still haven't gotten around to this one. I've heard good things.

#14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but is supposed to be a classic. Willing to give it a watch and it's on Netflix instant.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

#6 Dr. Strangelove - I like Kubrick, haven't gotten around to this one.

I know humor is subjective and all, but this is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I hope you like it.

I found Moon to be a very engaging experience. Sam Rockwell did an amazing job playing two different versions of himself, and I think the whole clone thing was done as well as it could have been. I'm also really, really glad Spaceybot 3000 didn't go berserk and try to kill everyone like I thought he would. The movie certainly wears its influences on its sleeve, but it all works pretty well. Am I insane for liking this but not 2001? Please don't kill me.

1. Seven Samurai-I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca-It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this.

3. 8 1/2-I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront-The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial-I haven't seen Citizen Kane either, I'll put that on this list after watching one or two that are on instant watch.

7. Barton Fink-I've seen a few Coen movies (Fargo, No Country, The Big Lebowski, maybe one or two others that I can't remember) and loved them all.

8. Cool Hand Luke-I've seen part of it on TV at some point but I don't remember anything about it.

9. Moon
Fantastic Mr. Fox-Another 2009 film I missed out on.

10. The Thin Blue Line-I love good documentaries so I guess this will be the documentary number.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You should watch Barton Fink which is an underrated (or at least underseen) Coen bros film.

I watched Nights of Cabiria. It was a movie. Not going to type anything more because I think this is best watched with a clean slate.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Tier 10
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Going to veer off the Capra/Stewart track for a Claude Rains movie I haven't seen.

Singing in the Rain - Tier 9
Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie (Dogville), which I hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

On the Waterfront - Tier 9, A Streetcar Named Desire - Tier 10
East of Eden - I have seen Rebel Without a Cause and fell asleep halfway through Giant with little interest in returning (oh it's "sprawling" alright), but the one film of Mr. Dean's that I haven't seen is East of Eden. Also directed by Elia Kazan. I am eager to see this one.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8, The Elephant Man - Tier 5
I, Claudius - 1970s miniseries - featuring Mr. John Hurt - about the Roman empire. I've heard of the book, but didn't know this was a miniseries. With a 9.3 on IMDB, color me interested.

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7, A Man for All Seasons - Tier 7
The Best Years of Our Lives - Another Best Picture winner I've never seen.

Stand by Me - Tier 7, Hannah and her Sisters - Tier 10
Crimes and Misdemeanors - Woody's direct follow-on to Hannah and her Sisters, another film in the middle of Allen's filmography that I haven't seen.

8 1/2 - Tier 9, Amarcord - Tier 7, Nights of Cabiria - Tier 10
La Strada - Plugging along with Fellini.

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9, Elizabeth - Tier 5
La Haine - Thought I painted myself into a bit of a corner with this string, but wait...La Haine with Vincent Cassell is a movie I've never heard of but has amazingly good reviews. Voila.

Bowling for Columbine - Tier 5, Capturing the Friedmans - Tier 10
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara - I try to veer away from documentaries on controversial subjects because I'm very opinionated and it's easy for me to get annoyed with something minor. So I've never seen this, but I do like Errol Morris documentaries and this did beat Capturing the Friedmans for the Oscar.

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Go with La Haine you won't be disappointed.

Titanic - Never saw it when it came out, now its almost a matter of pride that I haven't seen it, as stupid as that sounds.
Rashomon - Started watching it a couple of times its so long it gets put aside too easily.
Metropolis - I'm interested enough to have bought it, not motivated enough to have watched it.
Marius, Fanny and Cesar - Watched Marius and really enjoyed it, the endings sad enough that Im reluctant to watch Fanny which I assume picks up where Marius ends.
any Bruce Lee film - Not really into martial arts films, get the feeling I should watch a Bruce Lee film though...
Chinatown - dunno, just never seen it.
La Règle du jeu - I'd never heard of it till this thread, be good for my french though.
E.T. - Almost certain Ive seen the whole film in disjointed chunks at Christmases etc, never sat down and watched the whole thing though.
Last Tango in Paris - Ive seen exactly one scene, you know which one.
Shindlers List - Im not sure if I've seen this or not, which I assume means I haven't, surely I'd remember...

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Dirty Frank, watch Titanic. It's far from my favorite movie on your list, but I think you'll be surprised to find it a very good and exciting film.

Trouble in Paradise Now I know exactly what the Lubitsch touch is and I love it. Slick and classy. The humor and the drama both are wrapped in subtlety. And I love seeing these pre-code movies - you get the perfect cinematography of the studio years without the inhibitions.

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Bad and the Beautiful I've been meaning to get into Minnelli.

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Ugetsu Monogatari I don't know, someone make me watch this.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes, Harvey, M. Hulot's Holiday, Trouble in Paradise

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier let's go with Ugetsu. I don't really remember much of it but I liked it.

As I expected, the idealization of America bothered me a bit, but I have to admit America, America was a very engaging and well made film. The length wasn't much of an issue at all as the lead character is very sympathetic, and enough happens to keep thing going. The drama was well done when the film concentrated on Turkey and the personal and social tensions of the lead it was excellent.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

Lilja 4-ever I'm under the impression this is very depressing but very good.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse Let's what trouble he gets into with sound.

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Pelle the Conqueror It's Swedish and won an Oscar, I think it's a sad film.

Fear and Desire I have a fear that this will be as terrible as I've heard, but also a desire to complete Kubrick's features.

Pursued Another Western I should see.

Burma VJ The Cove beat this out for best doc, but I think it might have more potential to impress me.

Pour la suite du monde I've never heard of this before but seeing it on FFD's list intrigued me and it's on youtube so it should be easy to watch.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Pour la Suite du Monde is a treasure, you guys'll probably like it. Brault's one that I'm always embarrassed I haven't seen more of.

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?
Peaceful Anarchy I am an uncultured philistine who has not heard of a single movie on your list but since penismightier mentioned Pour la Suite du Monde I'll tell you to watch that.

Watched Jacob's Ladder, and thought it was OK. Like I said I already knew how it ended and I'm not sure if that ruined the experience a bit or not as I didn't really feel like the parts that were supposed to make you question what was really going on were effective. The movie was a bit aimless, which I guess was part of the point, but I couldn't help thinking that I've seen other movies do essentially the same thing better. I did thing it did a great job with the setting: everything seemed to be falling apart in almost every scene, which worked really well. Not really my cup of tea, but I can see why people like it.

As an aside, somewhere in my iTunes folder there is a song that incorporates the scene where the chemist explains the Ladder to Jacob, but now I can't remember which one it is. Anyone know what it is? It's going to bother me now.

Here's the list again:

1. Lawrence of Arabia is on everyone' list but I have to put it on mine because it's the one movie that I can think of that I've been meaning to watch for over 10 years and just haven't done it for one reason or another.

2. All Quiet on the Western Front: When I was in high school I went through classic war movie phase but never got around to this one.

3. Jacob's LadderTrainspotting: I like a lot of the Danny Boyle movies I've seen but haven't seen this one yet aside from a couple of the more famous scenes.

4. A Few Good Men: Always thought it seemed ridiculous and forgettable because people kept quoting that one line but I keep hearing people saying that it's great.

5. Solaris: Saw the Clooney remake and thought it was terrible so I never saw the original, even though it's apparently great.

6. Dr. Zhivago: I'm ashamed to say that I don't even know what it's about.
I just know it's one of those movies you're supposed to watch.

7. Eraserhead:David Lynch is kind of hit or miss with me (loved Blue Velvet, hated Lost Highway for example) but I've heard this is good and always mean to see more of his movies.

8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: Just never grabbed my interest despite having seen it referenced approximately 1 billion times.

9. Oldboy: I've seen this recommended a lot on these forums and it seems like the sort of dark psychological movie that I'd find interesting.

10. 8 1/2: I've been kind of interested ever since it was referred to in Ghost World, but never enough to actually pick it up. Also never seen any Fellini and apparently you are supposed to.

Sinfjotli fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 28, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sinfjotli, you've got so much great stuff on your list that it's hard to choose. Give Eraserhead a go.

Naked Island - This dialogue-free tale of a family's struggle for survival on a remote island (mental comparisons to Man of Aran are inevitable, although the films are quite different) is simple in construction, but loaded with allegorical possibilities. As I watched the events unfold I pondered the significance of what I was seeing and found my mind going down several different paths. Shindo never makes a big deal about the wordlessness of the narrative... it doesn't ever feel like a novelty, but rather just that no words are necessary. Gorgeous cinematography and a lyrical score (reminded me an awful lot of M. Hulot's Holiday) seal the deal. A sometimes difficult film (unless you really enjoy watching people schlep water around) but one that is rewarding both as food for thought and food for the soul. Rating: 9

updated list:

1. The Crying Game ("Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See") - The Dean of Students at my college actually spoiled the big reveal for me soon after it came out. Thanks, whatever your name was. I'm not too interested in the movie, but it's the only one left on this list.

2. The Reckless Moment ("Time Out's Centenary of Cinema") - This is actually on a bunch of lists I'm doing. I like Ophuls, I like noir... should be a winner.

3. The Big Parade ("100films.net's Greatest 100 Films Ever Made") - Another one that appears on several lists.

4. Moonfleet
4. Icon of Cool ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - I have no idea. Something Korean.

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy ("AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies") - Not a big Cagney fan, although I liked Footlight Parade.

6. Pour la suite du monde ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I don't know anything about this list (the description is in French) or this movie.

7. Mon Oncle d'Amerique ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I like most Resnais.

8. Wuthering Heights ("Filmsite.org's 100 Greatest Films Pt. 1") - I expect it to be watchable at least.

9. The Naked Island
9. Hold Me While I'm Naked ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Don't really know anything about this one either.

10. The Savage Innocents ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - Nicholas Ray is usually good.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy ("AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies") - Not a big Cagney fan, although I liked Footlight Parade.

I was really hoping I'd get you, FFD, just so I could get you to watch this. It's melodramatic and cheesy, but Cagney's exuberance and brilliance just work perfectly. It's one of my favorite musicals.

Cornered was good, but odd. Powell played perhaps the darkest character I've seen him play, and he's nowhere near the brilliant smart aleck he was in Murder My Sweet. Instead he's a widower shortly after World War II and hunting down a Nazi in Argentina who murdered his wife. It's dark, dark, dark, and confusing at bits. But Powell still pulls things together and Dmytryck's sense of style really keeps things moving until the nifty ending. Considering how often Powell's bungling was mentioned, it kept coming to mind as an unpolished version of The Third Man, though not quite as good. But few things are.

Here's my updated list:

Sheldrake posted:

1. Empire of Passion - I also bought this at a previous Criterion sale. I love the cover, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I also really liked In The Realm of the Senses, strangely enough.

2. Odd Man Out - I love Carol Reed and James Mason, but the plot description does nothing for me.

3. Abel Gance's Napoleon - I love silent movies and Eg Eggleby and FFD talk this up all the time, but the four hour investment just seems like a lot.

4. Gospel According to St. Matthew - I didn't really care for Salo, and then I really don't care too much about the Bible.

5. Up! - No, not the Pixar movie. The Russ Meyer flick. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is one of my favorite movies, but Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! never did much for me.

6. Applause - I have my 'to watch' list, and this is the oldest title on there. I love Rouben Mamoulian, and I should finally be getting a copy soon.

7. The Gypsy Moths - Deborah Kerr! Burt Lancaster! I should like this even if the premise sounds stupid, right?

8. Fat City - I've heard some mixed reviews, and I'm far from the world's biggest John Huston fan, but the story sounds pretty interesting.

9. Blood Orgy of the She Devils - It, uh, sounds interesting.

10. Voyage of the Rock Aliens - Yes, I will give you another chance to make me watch a (possibly) terrible Pia Zadora film. I'm just that nice.

Finally Seen: Hiroshima Mon Amour - 8/10, Clockers - 7/10, A Matter of Life & Death - 9/10, Mo' Better Blues - 8/10, Small Back Room - 5/10, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - 8/10, Butterfly - 3/10, Pitfall - 9/10, Woman in the Dunes - 8/10, Face of Another - 7/10, Cornered - 8/10

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sheldrake posted:

it kept coming to mind as an unpolished version of The Third Man, though not quite as good.

This is exactly how I felt (and like you, I also found it confusing at times). I gave it the same score you did.

I'll put YDD on hold at the library, it'll probably be at least a few days before I get it.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Manchurian Candidate, very stylishly directed and fast-paced political thriller about a sleeping communist cell. The overt paranoia of it all makes it quite obvious that this was a child of it's time, but it really just adds to the experience. Good acting all around but Angela Lansbury simply slays in her role as an oppressive bitch of a mother. (4/5)

Sheldrake, I haven't seen any of the movies on your list but I'll recommend The Gypsy Moths because it was directed by John Frankenheimer and I just saw The Manchurian Candidate.

quote:

1. The Manchurian Candidate
1. The Man Who Fell To Earth, I have really liked everything I've seen from Roeg so far, I really hope this is good.

2. Andrei Rublev, I'm ashamed to admit that I've only seen two of Tarkovskys movies (Mirror, Solaris) but I've always been a bit scared of the running time of this one. It shouldn't really be a problem since I watched loving Heaven's Gate in one sitting once and this one is probably a whole lot better.

3. La Strada, I have a similar track record with Fellini as with Tarkovsky and this must change. I'm not sure why I haven't seen La Strada yet. Probably because I don't like circuses.

4. Down By Law, the stuff I've seen by Jim Jarmusch so far has been great and I love Tom Waits, I really can't explain why I haven't seen this.

5. Gertrud, I saw The Passion of Joan of Arc and was awed by who beautiful it was. I guess Dreyers religiousness has put me off so far.

6. Salo, want to see this mainly because Michael Haneke mentions it as one of his favorite films of all time. I haven't seen it yet because I'm pretty sure it will make me feel like poo poo.

7. Last Tango In Paris, will probably be my first Bertolucci. Imagining a bloated Marlon Brando naked isn't a very pleasant thought.

8. Satantango, I saw Werckmeister Harmonies and loved it. Satantangos massive running time of seven hours have made me reluctant to see it so far.

9. L'avventura, I have so far loved everything I've seen by Antonioni, but I was hellishly tired when I tried to see this one for the first time so I shut it off and went to sleep after half an hour and then had to return it the day after. Bummer.

10. The Leopard, one of the all time greats. Or so I've been told. I guess the prospect of a three hour long Italian melodrama scares me a bit.

Seen: Notorious (5/5), The Manchurian Candidate (4/5)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Moon was really excellent. Its influences are pretty obvious but it's separated enough to be its own piece of work. I'm kind of a sucker for realistic sci-fi, and the detail that goes into Moon is pretty spectacular and at times almost satirical (e.g., the scuffs all over the walls are a pretty good condemnation of the "make everything white!" 2001 style). Sam Rockwell plays his dual part well, and the differences between the two almost feel like a Kaufman-esque take on aging. Kevin Spacey is hilarious as GERTY, the helpful robot, and I was pleasantly surprised (and kind of relieved) that it didn't take the helper-robot-is-evil route, which has been done to death. His malleable nature makes him a pretty sympathetic third character. There's a lot that goes on in the film, and it's weaved together fairly elegantly, using a lot of well-done exterior shots and panopticonic coverage of the moon base that makes it feel both larger than it really is and more claustrophobic than it was probably designed to be. I hope this goes down in the general film canon, it's too good to be forgotten.

MonkeeKong, you get The Man Who Fell To Earth because I like Roeg too!

SCHANDE!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) The Conformist - I've been interested in this ever since I saw a neat cover someone made for it in a "fake Criterion art" thread somewhere, and it sounds interesting too. I'd like to expand my knowledge of Bernardo Bertolucci as well; I thought The Last Emperor was interesting if kind of flawed, but apparently he's a pretty big name.

3) Where The Wild Things Are - I was so unbelievably excited about this when the ads started rolling out, and then...I didn't see it. I don't know why. It looks good and Spike Jonze is a pretty excellent director.

4) Les Enfants Du Paradis - Hello, TSPDT #29! This is long and old and French. I'll probably love it!

5) Yojimbo/Sanjuro - It's my eventual goal to watch (and generally keep up with) the Criterion Blu-Ray line, and I liked Ikiru, so let's follow up with another Kurosawa (double-feature). I'm not really sure how I feel about samurai films, but these are pretty highly-regarded.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Ordet - I'll play your games, TSPDT. This actually looks kind of interesting, like a Bergman film almost (and it probably is, I still haven't worked my way through a good deal of his work). I've only seen one other Dreyer, Vampyr, which in fact I own and desperately need to see again.

9) The Leopard - Well, I've heard this is good. I like films like this, films about society during an upset (I suppose that's one reason why I found Gone With The Wind so captivating), and it'd be interesting to see a film about Sicily, where my Grandfather was born.

10) Through A Glass Darkly - Bergman catch-up time. The first of a "trilogy" (not really). Apparently it's about some people on an island, but isn't that what every Bergman film is about? I guess this spot is reserved for more Bergmans.

STANDBY: The French Connection, The Color Purple

Edit: Watch list!

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon (total: 15)

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 29, 2010

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
I saw Dead Man Yesterday.

It was awesome. Jonny Depp giong from wimp to badass was cool, and the indian guy was pretty fun (though he was a bit of a magic negro... indian?).

New list:
1 Dead Man (1995) One of my friends (who's an even bigger filmnerd than me) told me to see this. And it sounds awesome!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Dogville I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate myself for this but gently caress it, more Trier for me heheh (oh god I'm gonna cry again am I?:(

4 Eraserhead David Lynch flew over my head. Wanna fix that.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Cinderella Man I Love boxing movies, but this one got away. Dunno why really.

7 Yatterman I wanne see more of Miike, and this one sounds well... completly bonkers.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 The Prestige Nolan owns, wanna see more Nolan.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Hellbunny posted:

It was awesome. Jonny Depp giong from wimp to badass was cool, and the indian guy was pretty fun (though he was a bit of a magic negro... indian?).

New list:
1 Dead Man (1995) One of my friends (who's an even bigger filmnerd than me) told me to see this. And it sounds awesome!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Dogville I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate myself for this but gently caress it, more Trier for me heheh (oh god I'm gonna cry again am I?:(

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

7 Yatterman I wanne see more of Miike, and this one sounds well... completly bonkers.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yojimbo/Sanjuro

One of these should be good.

Edit: gently caress dubblepost sorry :(

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Hellbunny posted:

New list:

Heat for Al Pacino alone. I haven't seen all the other movies on ur list but you're not gonna be disappointed by heat.

1.) Alexander - just watched W and it owned. Meant to check out Oliver Stone movies after seeing natural born killers a few months ago but forgot

2.) Nixon

3.) the American President

4.) Wall Street

5) The Perfect Storm - heard it was good. mark wahlberg rarely disappoints

6.) Dances with Wolves - was it like Avatar

7.) Inland Empire - Mulholland Drive is maybe my favorite movie

8.) Next Friday - Friday was really great but everyone says this sucks

9.) The Ladykillers - has the reputation of being the bad coen brothers movie. but they're usually awesome...

10.) Independence Day - has the reputation of being the good ron emmerich movie. but they're usually terrible

e: sorry typing on touchscreen and posted prematurely

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 29, 2010

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Web Jew.0 posted:

6.) Dances with Wolves - was it like Avatar

There's no way how you meant for this to sound is as funny as it sounds in my head.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Web Jew.0 posted:

7.) Inland Empire - Mulholland Drive is maybe my favorite movie

Of the movies on your list, I've only seen Dances with Wolves, which I didn't like, and Independence Day, which is awful unless you're watching it with friends and making fun of it. What I'm saying is I'm not good at this part, just watch Inland Empire I guess.

I don't really know how I feel about Barton Fink. I mean it's definitely very good, it just does so many different things at once, especially near the end. The sequence of events between the two rear end in a top hat detectives (my favorite characters) showing up to Charlie running down a flaming hallway screaming while killing them and his last conversation with Fink is simply amazing. I kinda wished that the rest of the movie was that insane, but it probably would have made that part less special if it was. This is a movie that deserves another viewing at some point.

1. Seven Samurai-I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca-It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this.

3. 8 1/2-I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront-The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial-I haven't seen Citizen Kane either, I'll put that on this list after watching one or two that are on instant watch.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries-Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke-I've seen part of it on TV at some point but I don't remember anything about it.

9. Moon
Fantastic Mr. Fox-Another 2009 film I missed out on.

10. The Thin Blue Line-I love good documentaries so I guess this will be the documentary number.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've recommend you two of three, so let's make it three of four. You should see The Thin Blue Line which is a pretty drat good & innovative documentary (bear in mind the year) in its own right, but is probably more important because of all of the various impacts it had.

I watched La Haine. Vincent Cassel was good, and I liked the scene with the old guy in the bathroom. Didn't relate to the movie in general and none of the conclusion had much of an impact on me. Probably unfair for me to rate it; I blame Criticker.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Tier 10
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Going to veer off the Capra/Stewart track for a Claude Rains movie I haven't seen.

Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie (Dogville), which I hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

East of Eden - I have seen Rebel Without a Cause and fell asleep halfway through Giant with little interest in returning (oh it's "sprawling" alright), but the one film of Mr. Dean's that I haven't seen is East of Eden. Also directed by Elia Kazan. I am eager to see this one.

I, Claudius - 1970s miniseries - featuring Mr. John Hurt - about the Roman empire. I've heard of the book, but didn't know this was a miniseries. With a 9.3 on IMDB, color me interested.

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7, A Man for All Seasons - Tier 7

Crimes and Misdemeanors - Woody's direct follow-on to Hannah and her Sisters, another film in the middle of Allen's filmography that I haven't seen.

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9, Elizabeth - Tier 5, La Haine - Tier 7
The Battle of Algiers - Another film dealing with flaws of the French.

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara - I try to veer away from documentaries on controversial subjects because I'm very opinionated and it's easy for me to get annoyed with something minor. So I've never seen this, but I do like Errol Morris documentaries and this did beat Capturing the Friedmans for the Oscar.

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Finally got to see Seven Samurai. Wow, that was an amazing film. Loved the interaction between the samurai, as well as the interaction between the samurai and the farmers. The battle scenes were a bit difficult to follow, but I managed to figure out what was going on. Loved the samurai planning how to defend the village. Also loved the antagonistic, as well as cooperative interaction between the farmers and samurai.

Arkane, Never saw any on your list, but I've always been interested in The Adventures of Robin Hood, so you get to see that.

My List:
1 - M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

2 - Double Indemnity

3 - Once Upon a Time In the West - Love Sergio Leone, but never got around to seeing this.

4 - Dune - Got into David Lynch when he made Twin Peaks. Saw Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me, Blue Velvet and Elephant Man.

5 - Animal Crackers - Saw A Night at the Opera recently and loved it. Looking for some more Marx Brothers madness.

6 - Amadeus

7 - 7 Samurai
7 - Rashomon - Going to stick with a Kurasawa movie here.

8 - Singin' in the Rain - Heard it was the best musical ever

9- Ed Wood

10- 12 Angry Men

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you
Dmitri Russkie you get Dune. Try to get the Alan Smithee cut I guess, that's the only one I've seen but it's quite good (and probably a lot better than the theatrical).

Finally, finally watched Vertigo. Wish I watched it sooner - Jimmy Stewart is absolutely great in it, and man I was not expecting the twists. So dark at the end too! Kind of needlessly tragic but I can understand it turning out that way. Plus, a bit like the other Hitchcock I've seen now, it leaned way too much towards the latter on the whole "show vs tell" scale in spots. Also the foley work on the restoration is just awful. According to the wikipedia page some people apparently think the score was too emphasized compared to the sound effects, which is ridiculous since the latter are so loud and out-of-place as to sound completely fake. And the score was goddamn incredible, it needs to be emphasized. Probably my favorite Hitchcock despite the (very few) faults.

Adhesion posted:

Touch of Evil: Welles is one of those important filmmakers that I've only seen one or no films by (guess which one in this case), which is probably going to be a recurring theme here.

Night of the Hunter: This one slipped under my radar I guess, I don't really know much of anything about it aside from how good it is and indirectly via its influence.

M: Just saw the restored Metropolis (only Lang I've seen of course), which was great but more heavyhanded than what I remembered from when I watched it the first time. Hoping this is a bit better.

Modern Times: Haven't seen any Chaplin movies, might as well start here.

North by Northwest
Vertigo
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: I figured I should start fixing my whole lack of western knowledge. I saw Sukiyaki Western Django and enjoyed it but felt like I couldn't get as much out of it since I was so utterly unfamiliar with the genre. Time to rectify that.

The Apartment: Haven't seen any Wilder movies either.

Amarcord or 8 1/2: Again, have yet to see any Fellini.

Ikiru
Fanny and Alexander: I love Bergman (The Seventh Seal might be my all-time favorite film), but somehow I only made it halfway through this - the theatrical version, even. I'm up for the TV version too as penance.

Pierrot le fou: Guess how much Godard I've seen! Actually now I've seen Breathless and liked it quite a bit so I'm looking forward to this.

On the Waterfront: Another well-acclaimed older film I don't know much about.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Adhesion posted:

Finally, finally watched Vertigo.

Just curious, did you watch the version that's recently been playing on cable? I caught one of those in HD, and the foley and color correction stuck out like a sore thumb.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

VorpalBunny posted:

Just curious, did you watch the version that's recently been playing on cable? I caught one of those in HD, and the foley and color correction stuck out like a sore thumb.

Presumably the one on cable is the restoration (as far as I know there's only one), so yeah. I didn't notice the color correction so much - it seemed plausible (albeit oversaturated) for the time, before I realized I was watching a full restoration. I actually think it worked decently well for a few sequences, but probably not the whole movie.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Adhesion should watch Night of the Hunter.

I watched 8½. It was excellently directed and entertaining but still I felt my attention wandering at points... the harem fantasy is like 13 minutes long and doesn't add much besides an amusing character point. I'm sure the lack of focus is puposefully mirroring the lead character but it kind of stops me engaging with the film as much as I want to. Also, for a film with such a large cast of characters there's only a handful of them actually have any character themselves and the lead is the only one with any depth, probably since he's basically just Fellini anyway. I also feel a little malice towards it for indirectly spawning Nine.

I did love how it was made though. The way the camera moved, the seamless scene transitions, the occasionally startling use of actual silence (where most films will still use room noise). Were I to give it a mark out of ten I'd give it eight and... four-fifths, though my opinion of it may well improve with another viewing.

The 400 Blows - I think I'll probably get on with Truffaut better than Godard and yet haven't seen anything of his besides his American movie.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Sullivan's Travels - Another film about Hollywood since I enjoyed Sunset Boulevard so much, and I've heard it's pretty funny.

Persona - I liked The Silence a lot so I should get around to this at some point.

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

In the Mood for Love - Haven't seen anything by Wong Kar-wai except Chungking express which I liked but not enough to seek out anything else. I've heard good things about this though?

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

The Draughtsman's Contract - The only Greenaway film I've seen is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover which was pretty excellent so I'm looking to watch more at some point.

Bicycle Theives - Same as Rules of the Game, really.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Seems like it'd be right up my street and it's had an influence on films and directors that I love. And a great Simpsons episode. Like Casablanca it's another case of me not feeling a need to seek out American films from a popular period.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Noxville posted:

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Seems like it'd be right up my street and it's had an influence on films and directors that I love. And a great Simpsons episode. Like Casablanca it's another case of me not feeling a need to seek out American films from a popular period.

You are going to watch this since I've been on a classic movie kick as of late.

So I finally watched Rocky; what an amazing movie. I've always thought that it was just a sports movie with a lot of "beat 'em up" scenes and macho stuff, but it's actually a really good drama that just happens to involve boxing. Stallone was incredible in it. Rocky is a really great character and totally likable. He, and all the other characters, are very believable and seem like actual people. I've always liked Talia Shire since I saw her in The Godfather, and she was excellent in this movie. This was definitely worth seeing. Now I just have to see the other 4. New list...

Scarface- No good reason why I've never seen this movie. *shrug*
When Harry Met Sally...- One of the classic rom coms. All my girlfriends try to get me to watch this movie and I never do. It doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of Billy Crystal or Meg Ryan.
Seven Samurai- One of my husband's favorite films. I even bought the special edition DVD for him. Just never wanted to sit down and watch it, even though I love every other samurai film I've ever seen (mostly the Zaitoichi series).
My Neighbor Totoro- I have some friends that are Japanophiles and they love this film. I also enjoyed Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, so I don't know why I haven't seen this yet.
Forbidden Planet and The Last Starfighter- I'm a huge sci-fi fan and these are two sci-fi classics that I just haven't seen.
Natural Born Killers- I'm not a big fan of Oliver Stone, and I've heard that this film is just violent for violence's sake, so it's never appealed to me on any level. I do like Woody Harrelson though.
The Goonies- I can't remember if I saw this when I was little or haven't seen it at all. All my friends are always like "Hey guys!" and such and I don't get it...
Reservoir Dogs- I'm not a Tarantino fan by any means, but I have seen most of his movies because he uses actors that I like. I tried to watch this once and don't remember why I didn't finish it.
Star Trek (2009)- I've never seen it, mostly because of nerd rage. I have a friend that claims it's better than all the other ST movies combined, even Wrath of Khan. But we made a deal that if I watch this, then he will watch Godfather 1&2.
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)- Another sci-fi classic that I need to watch.
The African Queen- Watching Bogart in Casablanca was amazing. This is another one of his greats.

Watched: Casablanca 10/10, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 10/10, Rear Window 5/10, Rocky 10/10

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Skutter, I hope you love My Neighbor Totoro as much as I do. I think it's Miyazaki's best.

VorpalBunny posted:

10) City of God - I just imagine this will be pretty hard to watch.

Arkane posted:

Vorpal: You should watch City of God. Your imagination is playing tricks on you.

Yeah, it was pretty hard to watch. Kids strolling through slums shooting each other, robbing people, smoking weed, and just generally being killed by the dozens? It felt like a hosed up mix of Trainspotting and Pulp Fiction by way of The Godfather. With children. I had no idea it was a period piece, so that was an interesting twist.

I also watched Vertigo recently, and while it took me a while to get into it, I really dug how twisted and creepy it got at the end. I've never really disliked Jimmy Stewart in any of his roles I've seen so far, and I really kind of hated him by the end. The love affair was hard to buy, but according to Wikipedia it's because Kim Novak was 25, and Jimmy was 50, when the film was shot. Maybe that's what held me back from buying this twisted romance.

I also saw A Fistful of Dollars which I think I liked more than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly but maybe that's just because of all the young grimacing Eastwood. I might as well see For A Few Dollars More to round out the trilogy.

My (still) shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never got around to finishing it. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I really know nothing about this film, except it stars Bogie, and I have seen too little of his work.

3) Nosferatu - I own it. I should really see it someday.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a few months ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) Flesh+Blood by Verhoeven. I like his other stuff, for the most part, I just never got around to watching this. I should probably also rewatch Robocop since I saw it once as a kid and never really got much more than awesome violence out of it. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Body Heat - I love William Hurt and Kathleen Turner from that era just can't be beat. I've always wanted to see this, I just never got around to it.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite. I was also told I should see Dolemite so maybe I'll make this recommendation a double-feature as well.

10) Bridge on the River Kwai - All I know is Alec Guiness is in it.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

10) Bridge on the River Kwai - All I know is Alec Guiness is in it.

I'll say this.

The Pianist-
Felt more like a human terror film than your standard WWII movie. No major battle scenes but only intermittent small scale battles and aftermaths of bombings. It definitely had my undivided attention for the whole duration.

New List:

#15 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#55 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#67 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#78 Inglourious Basterds - The trailer seemed like a giant farcical mess. And Pitt's accent during that "killing nazis" scene has been enough to hold me off on this for a year so far.

#79 Singin' in the Rain - I rarely seek out musicals. That song is like kryptonite to me.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#85 Up - Seems like another cutesy kids movie that I won't like. After enjoying movies like Toy Story and A Bug's Life I developed a healthy aversion to CGI at some point. Looking back I think Shrek was the turning point that made me ill towards CGI in general. I like the more traditional animated movies.

#88 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Edit: Beaten by moments

Togo, watch Inglourious Basterds, Pitt isn't as prominent in the movie as he seems to be from the trailers, and his accent is a thing of beauty.
Double Edit: Just noticed what your last movie you saw was, maybe it will be cathartic too.

The Rules of the Game, I always have a little bit of a problem with movies about rich people with dozens of servants, the class issues get in the way for me. It's not even the rich people that bother me that much in the movies, it's their servants blithely going along with the deep class divide. It doesn't make me hate a movie, but it does make it harder for me to get into. It's sort of bizaire because I don't really have a problem watching movies about insanely rich people obsessing over silly issues, it's that specific Old Europe, Old Money thing that bugs me. I did sort of like this movie. I thought all the characters had depth to them and I liked that they spent as much time on the servants as they did the rich people, it reminded me a little bit of Gosford Park. I would have liked it more if I wasn't so caught up in the class issues.

I took off Brokeback Mountain because I decided I wasn't interested in seeing it at all and Children of Paradise because I didn't really want to watch another french movie older than 50 years, I'll probably put it back later.

Revanche: Hadn't heard of it until netflix told me I'd love it.
The Last Picture Show: I don't know anything about this movie, something to do with a movie house closing down?
Metropolitan: No real explanation for not seeing this, the description makes it seem like something I'd enjoy.
Scarface (1932): I gather the DePalma has very little to do with this movie, and I haven't seen any 30's gangster movies in awhile, and almost no pre-code ones I don't think..
Raising ArizonaBetween the Nick Cage thread, excitement for the True Grit remake, and my abiding love for the Coen Brothers (I even liked Intolerable Cruelty and The Lady Killers a little bit) the fact that I haven't seen this early effort from them seems increasingly wrong.
D.O.A. Shortly after I moved to the Bay Area, the SF Museum of Modern Art had a giant video art exhibition, one of the displays was three tvs playing this movie with staggered start times so you could see the begining middle and end all at the same time. I watched for a little while and it made me incredibly curious to see the actual film. I don't remember much from the couple minutes I watched so I don't think it'd be spoiled for me.
The Red Shoes I missed an opportunity to see this on the big screen when they remastered the prints last year and have been kicking myself ever since.
All About Eve I understand this involves Bette Davis being reall nasty to Anne Baxter and vice versa? That sounds awesome in Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf kind of way.
Stagecoach or The Searchers Haven't seen any John Wayne movies, at least not since I was a little kid.My understanding is you get more out of the latter if you've seen the former first, but if someone disagrees let me know.
Faces I saw The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and wasn't super impressed, but it did make me curious to see more Cassavetes.

Seen Paris, Texas 4/5 High and Low 3/5 The Rules of the Game 3/5

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 31, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl gets The Red Shoes.

Pour la suite du monde was well made, but absolutely not my cup of tea. I can see why it's praised, as it captures little moments really well, lets its subjects meander on while keeping some sense of focus and has an appealing mood thanks to the combination of a folksy soundtrack and well framed shots. As a documentary, though, the subject matter is a big part of whether I like it and this one couldn't be more off the mark. It's a film about a young group of rural farmers/fishermen who, 40 years after the last whaling expedition in the area, want to revive it out of some stupid nostalgic sense of tradition. I'm not sure which I find more offensive the idea of reviving whaling or the stupid arguments made to do it. Add in that the filmmakers not only show all this in a favourable light, but apparently were the behind the scenes insitgators for it, and I just can't forgive the film. The parts that have nothing to do with the hunt and just show daily life and local opinions are interesting, though, and I would have enjoyed a documentary of just that.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

Lilja 4-ever I'm under the impression this is very depressing but very good.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse Let's what trouble he gets into with sound.

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Pelle the Conqueror It's Swedish and won an Oscar, I think it's a sad film.

Fear and Desire I have a fear that this will be as terrible as I've heard, but also a desire to complete Kubrick's features.

Pursued Another Western I should see.

Burma VJ The Cove beat this out for best doc, but I think it might have more potential to impress me.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 ,
Pour la suite du monde 5/10

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

VorpalBunny posted:

Yeah, it was pretty hard to watch. Kids strolling through slums shooting each other, robbing people, smoking weed, and just generally being killed by the dozens? It felt like a hosed up mix of Trainspotting and Pulp Fiction by way of The Godfather. With children. I had no idea it was a period piece, so that was an interesting twist.

It was hard to watch? Man I have the worst memory of everyone I know, but still, I remember it principally as a coming-of-age story, with flashes of violence and a gritty tone. I'm reading the parent's guide on IMDB and you are definitely correct...I guess my mind was the one playing tricks on me haha. Sorry about that! Hopefully you liked it nonetheless.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Man Who Fell To Earth - deliciously weird and off-beat sci-fi about an alien who visits earth in pursuit of water, becomes a multi-millionaire but ultimately falls victim to human vices such as alcoholism. Roegs strange cinematography and editing makes it worthwhile, but I found the movie to be overlong and a tad bit too infatuated with itself. Absolutely worth a watch though. (3/5)

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Lilja 4-ever

Watch this one. I made the retarded mistake of taking my first date ever to see this movie. You'll see why it didn't work out too well.

quote:

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth
1. Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, I need to see something by Parajanov and I guess this is the place to start.

8. Satantango, I saw Werckmeister Harmonies and loved it. Satantangos massive running time of seven hours has made me reluctant to see it so far.

Seen: Notorious (5/5), The Manchurian Candidate (4/5), The Man Who Fell To Earth (3/5).

MonkeeKong fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 31, 2010

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Arkane posted:

It was hard to watch? Man I have the worst memory of everyone I know, but still, I remember it principally as a coming-of-age story, with flashes of violence and a gritty tone. I'm reading the parent's guide on IMDB and you are definitely correct...I guess my mind was the one playing tricks on me haha. Sorry about that! Hopefully you liked it nonetheless.

I forgot to mention the gang rape.

After all that, I did like it, and learning it's a true story made it more brutal. Like if KIDS was based on a true story (which it might be, for all I know).

But really, thanks for the recommend! There's a reason it was on my list in the first place.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
MonkeeKong, go watch Andrei Rublev.

The Rules of the Game left me feeling a little lukewarm. I can't say that I became fully engaged with the characters until about the last half hour of the movie. The masquerade party is when the film really picked up for me. Schumacher chasing down Marceau and dragging Lisette behind him was definitely a highlight. Everything up to that point failed to really capture my attention.

The comedy aspect was really good, it bordered on farce without being too over-the-top, and there were still some good tense moments throughout the third act. I also really like Renoir's style in general, there were several scenes that reminded me a lot of La Grande Illusion. I just wish that the beginning of the movie had been as enjoyable as the last 30 minutes. It could just be my mood, however, and I'm more than willing to give it a second chance.

New List:

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

La Dolce Vita or La Strada Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Andrei Rublev After reading up on this on IMDb it sounds really interesting.

Ugetsu I've heard about this movie from a few different people, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Jules et Jim I've seen this movie referenced in several movies, but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Andrei Rublev for you too!

I watched The Adventures of Robin Hood. It was an effort to sit through, even at only 100 minutes. The movie has an explosion of color that even the Lucky Charms leprechaun couldn't conjure up; suffice it to say that the movie is JARRINGLY colorful. The costumes look like have to be the result of handing a coloring book to a child. Robin Hood's costume features...glitter. I guess I shouldn't be caught up with these things because it is 70 years later, but as a 2010 viewer it is all a bit too much. I already knew the story by heart having grown up with the Disney version and seen other iterations, so I can't speak much to that other than to say that had I seen this one first the adventure story aspects would have been a bit more fresh. Chemistry between Robin and Marian was pretty good, but they didn't have all that many scenes together. Now, in the context of 1938, I am guessing this was a great movie, so I have to balance my animus with the historical importance. So all things considered, I just found the movie okay.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Tier 10, The Adventures of Robin Hood - Tier 6
You Can't Take it With You - The 1938 Best Picture winner...Jimmy Stewart directed by Capra. Results so far have been good.

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9, Elizabeth - Tier 5, La Haine - Tier 7
The Battle of Algiers - Another film dealing with flaws of the French.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 1, 2010

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Arkane again? Weird coincidence, anyway watch I, Claudius so many great British actors.

Well I watched Titanic and it was good and I enjoyed it, was suitably disturbed by the finale and properly heart-warmed by the ending. Mixed feelings that I watched this alone: on one hand it would have been fun to take the piss out of; on the other I doubt I would have enjoyed the actual film as much. Anyway glad I've finally seen it. Thanks penis mightier.

Rocky - I watched one of the later ones (don't remember which one) and it was poo poo, I think that coloured my opinion of the first one. I only remembered about this while reading the thread.
Rashomon - Started watching it a couple of times its so long it gets put aside too easily.
Metropolis - I'm interested enough to have bought it, not motivated enough to have watched it.
Marius, Fanny and Cesar - Watched Marius and really enjoyed it, the endings sad enough that Im reluctant to watch Fanny which I assume picks up where Marius ends.
any Bruce Lee film - Not really into martial arts films, get the feeling I should watch a Bruce Lee film though...
La Règle du jeu - I'd never heard of it till this thread, be good for my french though.
E.T. - Almost certain Ive seen the whole film in disjointed chunks at Christmases etc, never sat down and watched the whole thing though.
Last Tango in Paris - Ive seen exactly one scene, you know which one.
Shindlers List - Im not sure if I've seen this or not, which I assume means I haven't, surely I'd remember...

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--

Dirty Frank posted:

Time for you to see it. It's a solid film and some great noir so enjoy.

I finally watched The Godfather Part II. I didn't really get into the first one so the Vito Begins storyline didn't grab me very much but I have to say that by the end I was really invested in Michael's development. 4 out of 5.

A Nightmare on Elm Street – I’ve seen most horror classics by now but have never had any interest in this movie.

Amadeus – I was underwhelmed by the play and so I haven’t been especially inspired to see the film.

Das Boot – Nabbed this one from the imdb top 250. I don’t watch a lot of war movies even though on the rare occasion I do watch I often times love them, including Letters From Iwo Jima, Apocalypse Now, Downfall and Joyeux Noël.

The Godfather Part II
The Green Mile – For a while I confused this with another movie and avoided it but for some reason I never saw it once I found out what it really was. I love Shawshank and The Mist so I should probably watch this.

The Karate Kid – Recently a friend of mine informed me this is actually a worthwhile film. I was under the impression it was not.

The Maltese Falcon – I love film noir detective stories to death but haven’t seen this. I know not why.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) – Watched the original and I keep putting off seeing the remake even though I love Hitchcock.

Pi – I once lied and said I saw this. I did not.

Saving Private Ryan – I like Spielberg’s serious work but have avoided this since my grandfather (who was at Normandy the day after D-Day) said it was horrifying.

To Kill a Mockingbird
King Kong (1933) – I know this is supposed to be a classic but I already know everything that happens and terrible stop motion animation just takes me out of a film unless I'm watching it for camp value.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Mr. George Kaplan posted:

Saving Private Ryan – I like Spielberg’s serious work but have avoided this since my grandfather (who was at Normandy the day after D-Day) said it was horrifying.

It doesn't change the fact that it's a must-see.

Watched Charade and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. This is one of those rare twist-filled films that was both easy to follow along with and yet still manages to catch you off-guard multiple times. It was just a lot of fun, especially thanks to the performances by Grant and Hepburn.

Updated List:
1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.

2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
2) Network - Been wanting to watch this as of late, someone pick it.

3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet :ohdear: )

4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.

5) The Squid And The Whale - Well it was the movie of the month, so...
5) Charade - Well it is the movie of the month, so...
5) Fat City - Well it is the movie of the month, so...

6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.

7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
7) Lawrence Of Arabia - Never got the chance to see this, definitely need to change that.
7) Spirited Away - For some reason anime turns me off, but it's been a while, so I'll give it another shot. This is high on the IMDb top 250 so I figured this would be a good place to try again.

8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
8) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - No excuse, need to see this.

9) Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
9) Rain Man - Continuing on with the best picture winners that I haven't seen.
9) The Deer Hunter - Jumping around the best picture list a bit, but I just realized I've seen Heaven's Gate but not this. What.

10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films. Pick one and I'll give it a try.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

JVO posted:

10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films. Pick one and I'll give it a try.

Malick's films are a must in my opinion. I'll be a bit unorthodox and recommend you The Thin Red Line first, as it's my personal favorite of his.

I watched Vertigo and after having mixed opinions on both Psycho and The Birds I’m really starting to “get” Hitchcock. Very well done and incredibly tense at the end, even if it was too abrupt.
9.4/10

My Shameful List:

1. A Fistful of Dollars – Love Sergio Leone. Love Yojimbo. Seems like a no-brainer…

2. The Rules of the Game – I’m going down the TSPDT list and this is right after Vertigo, I don't know much about it though.

3. 8 ½ - I've never watched a single Fellini film and I’ve recently bought the BluRay at the insistence of a friend with usually questionable tastes in film.

4. Tokyo Story – Another unseen film from the TSPDT list.

5. Metropolis – I haven’t seen that many silent films and this one intrigues me the most.

6. O Brother, Where Art Thou? – I really dig the Coen Brothers and I’ve heard lots of good things about this one

7. Rear Window – I need to watch more Hitchcock.

8. The Shawshank Redemption – IMDB loves this movie, I should see what the fuss is all about.

9. Ikiru – One of the famous Kurosawa films I haven’t seen yet.

10. The Conformist – Criticker says I’ll give it a 100, might as well check it out.

Watched: Raging Bull – 9.8, The New World – 9.4, Pan’s Labyrinth – 9.5, Barry Lyndon – 9.0, The Trial – 9.6, Amadeus – 9.7, M – 9.3, Vertigo – 9.4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Nroo posted:

Very well done and incredibly tense at the end, even if it was too abrupt.

That's something you hear a lot, and I thought so too the first time I watched it. On rewatches, though, I came around. It's just such a brutal punctuation mark that it's now the first thing I picture when I think of the movie.