Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

UndergroundHero posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking of someone has only been branded a RAW superstar or Smackdown Superstar.

Also, in response to A Dapper Man, didn't Taker spend some time on the RAW roster as Bikertaker?

Edit: Also someone who has spent some time on the roster, not just a month or two.

Cade & Murdoch were both only on Raw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Didn't Murdoch have a brief run on Smackdown ? I am not sure though.

What was the deal with the Bret Hart and Jerry Lawler feud ? It felt like it went on forever and pretty much involved Jerry Lawler wanting Bret to kiss his feet and fight guys with crazy gimmicks like Doink and Issac Yankem. The whole thing just kind of fizzled out with no real payoff or point.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

UndergroundHero posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking of someone has only been branded a RAW superstar or Smackdown Superstar.

Also, in response to A Dapper Man, didn't Taker spend some time on the RAW roster as Bikertaker?

Edit: Also someone who has spent some time on the roster, not just a month or two.

Hmm, Wikipedia doesn't seem very clear on this, but it appears that he was on RAW at the start of the split or slightly before, but then switched to SmackDown along with Lesnar.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Chunky Delight posted:

What was the deal with the Bret Hart and Jerry Lawler feud ? It felt like it went on forever and pretty much involved Jerry Lawler wanting Bret to kiss his feet and fight guys with crazy gimmicks like Doink and Issac Yankem. The whole thing just kind of fizzled out with no real payoff or point.

According to Wiki, Murdoch was drafted to Smackdown but released before he made his debut there. So that could count either way I suppose. Cade was definatly Raw only tho.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Chunky Delight posted:

Bret won the King of the Ring and Jerry Lawler didn't like that, being a king himself and all, so he beat the poo poo out of him.

The feud did go on forever, but Lawler kept finding new ways to piss off Bret. I think they feuded over who was the better cartoonist at one point.

I remember absolutely hating Lawler and wanting Bret to beat the living poo poo out of him, and it only started to get old when Lawler introduced Isaac Yankem, so I guess it worked on marks like me!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A Dapper Man posted:

Hmm, Wikipedia doesn't seem very clear on this, but it appears that he was on RAW at the start of the split or slightly before, but then switched to SmackDown along with Lesnar.

I quite clearly remember the day he shifted over because it was loving awesome. Bischoff did something to piss him off (I can't recall exactly what) and that week on Smackdown, Stephanie had set up a number one contender's match for Lesnar's title and was on the phone saying,"Yes I did see it, yes I think it was disrespectful too...." and then come main event time she interrupted on the Titantron to say she'd struck a deal to poach a Raw superstar and this match was now a triple threat.... at which point,"DEAD MAN WALKING!" sounded and Taker came out and beat the poo poo out of the other two contenders.

I believe he's been with Smackdown ever since.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
I'm a wrestlin' n00b. I never watched this poo poo, not even as a kid, but in the past few weeks I've gotten pretty hooked.

September 18th, CHIKARA is putting on a show in my town (Baltimore) for the first time ever. Assuming I can russle up a couple other non-fan people to tag along, would this be a good way to spend 20 bucks?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Horseface posted:

I'm a wrestlin' n00b. I never watched this poo poo, not even as a kid, but in the past few weeks I've gotten pretty hooked.

September 18th, CHIKARA is putting on a show in my town (Baltimore) for the first time ever. Assuming I can russle up a couple other non-fan people to tag along, would this be a good way to spend 20 bucks?

Yes. Chikara is very much worth it, and if they're going to a place for a first time event, then you're probably going to be in for a memorable experience.

I might have to try and get off to go to this show.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Horseface posted:

Granted I've been wrestlehuttin' for a few years, but I'm not a total hardcore wrestling fan. Hitting up a Chikara show on my trip across the US was a brilliant idea.

Definitely try and bring a friend, but if you can't, still go - I went by myself. I was a little awkward at first (wrestling crowds are not an attractive bunch) but by the second or third match I was chanting and shouting with the rest of them.

Also: if its a big show, look for a camera before you take your seat, and sit on the side that its on. Also, bring a camera with a quick autofocus and a short response time. Shooting wrestlers with my "Best Buy's Cheapest" Fuji camera was near impossible!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thealanjackexperience/sets/72157624585746204/

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
To the best of my recollection, When the brand split first happened the champions could compete on any brand so after Taker won the championship Hogan, he was on Raw and Smackdown every week for a while. Before he won the title from Hogan he I think was on the Raw roster.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

after Taker won the championship Hogan

God, don't remind me, they hopped the championship Hogan around so much back then it became MEANINGLESS. I remember when Hogans used to mean something, dammit!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jerusalem posted:

I quite clearly remember the day he shifted over because it was loving awesome. Bischoff did something to piss him off (I can't recall exactly what) and that week on Smackdown, Stephanie had set up a number one contender's match for Lesnar's title and was on the phone saying,"Yes I did see it, yes I think it was disrespectful too...." and then come main event time she interrupted on the Titantron to say she'd struck a deal to poach a Raw superstar and this match was now a triple threat.... at which point,"DEAD MAN WALKING!" sounded and Taker came out and beat the poo poo out of the other two contenders.

I believe he's been with Smackdown ever since.

To the best of my recollection, When the brand split first happened the champions could compete on any brand so after Taker won the championship Hogan, he was on Raw and Smackdown every week for a while. Before he won the title from Hogan he I think was on the Raw roster.
Yeah Taker started on Raw, then I remember Stephanie making some comment about how she made an acquisition that would "rip the heart out of RAW". Taker then moved to Smackdown and that was that.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

George Kaplan posted:

God, don't remind me, they hopped the championship Hogan around so much back then it became MEANINGLESS. I remember when Hogans used to mean something, dammit!

2002 is really where the WWF/E went to the point of no return, and the hot potato title switching really exemplified it. It jumped around so much in the first half of that year, and it involved terrible angles (Undisputed World Champion Chris Jericho is the dogsitter of his challenger's wife) and terrible wrestlers (Hulk Hogan after people stopped being nostalgic)

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Captain Charisma posted:

2002 is really where the WWF/E went to the point of no return, and the hot potato title switching really exemplified it. It jumped around so much in the first half of that year, and it involved terrible angles (Undisputed World Champion Chris Jericho is the dogsitter of his challenger's wife) and terrible wrestlers (Hulk Hogan after people stopped being nostalgic)

Hogan was champ for a month and it made sense to put it on him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Hogan was champ for a month and it made sense to put it on him.

No it didn't. Anyone who paid attention to WCW after 1998 would know. Hogan would come back after an absence and would be really really hot for about two months and then NO ONE CARED. And that is exactly what happened, he won the belt and then ratings started falling off a cliff because he had reached the Hogan saturation point.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Captain Charisma posted:

7 title changes in 2002. I'd say 1999 was the peak of the hot potatoing, with 12 WWF title changes (13 if you count Mankind's first win, which was taped at the end of '98 but aired January '99). But 1999 did not have those terrible angles you mentioned so :shobon:

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

My Joke

-----

-----

-----

-----

Everyone's head

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

George Kaplan posted:

My Joke

-----

-----

-----

-----

Everyone's head

No, it just wasn't funny.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rusty Shackelford posted:

No, it just wasn't funny.

Are you saying he isn't funny and nobody likes him?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Burrito posted:

Are you saying he isn't funny and nobody likes him?

That's usually what people say about me.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
Awesome, thanks for the tips! One more question: it's been bugging me that whenever there's a pin attempt that ends in a kick out, the pinner just kinda sits there and looks frustrated for like 30 seconds. Is there some rule I don't know about explaining why they can't go right back into a pin attempt, or is it just one of those contrivances you have to accept?

Benign
Oct 20, 2008

And I Quote!

Horseface posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tips! One more question: it's been bugging me that whenever there's a pin attempt that ends in a kick out, the pinner just kinda sits there and looks frustrated for like 30 seconds. Is there some rule I don't know about explaining why they can't go right back into a pin attempt, or is it just one of those contrivances you have to accept?

There are spots when the attacker will keep pinning them over and over and over again. It just gets old if it's overdone, and in my mind as a fan, if someone already kicked out once, they're not gonna suddenly NOT kick out if you try it again, so you pick them up and beat them up some more!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nah, after the initial only the WWE Heavyweight and Woman's title could go between brands. The I-C, European, and Hardcore belts were exclusive to RAW, and the Tag Team and Cruiserweight belts were exclusive to Smackdown.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MassRayPer posted:

No it didn't. Anyone who paid attention to WCW after 1998 would know. Hogan would come back after an absence and would be really really hot for about two months and then NO ONE CARED. And that is exactly what happened, he won the belt and then ratings started falling off a cliff because he had reached the Hogan saturation point.

Pretty much this. Everyone wanted to see Hogan win the championship one last time but they didn't want to see him as champion.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
So do you guys think it would have been better if he won and dropped it within a week or so, as opposed to holding the title for a month?

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man

So do you guys think it would have been better if he won and dropped it within a week or so, as opposed to holding the title for a month?

It would have been better if he didn't win it at all, but still challenged for it. You'd get all the benefits of the build-up and anticipation of him winning, without the fallout of him being champion and no one giving a poo poo and everything sucking.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

7 title changes in 2002. I'd say 1999 was the peak of the hot potatoing, with 12 WWF title changes (13 if you count Mankind's first win, which was taped at the end of '98 but aired January '99). But 1999 did not have those terrible angles you mentioned so :shobon:

2002 wasn't the peak of it, but it was really where they went from "post-collapse" to "never ever getting back to their former glory" They went from the heights of 2000 to the Invasion to going back to hot potatoing the title. WM18 was a four hour Raw with Hogan-Rock being a nostalgic outlier. Raw, the flagship show, became unwatchable. Rock became a part-timer, Austin bolted for a bit due to the writing being so godawful. They turned Lesnar from a monster into a generic hoss babyface incredibly fast.

To top it all off, they rehired Vince Russo for about two weeks. It was the epilogue to the Monday Night Wars' final chapter in 2001, and in fact I believe it WAS the epilogue to The Death of WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He didn't even need to be in the title picture. With just one World title you could easily have Hogan in the semi main facing some dastardly heel like Jericho for a few months and evaluate if Hogan has legs. Putting aging but still over acts in the semi main slot has worked in the past and allows your card to have deeper drawing power than sticking it in the title picture.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I was going over the results of the Trent Acid memorial show and I noticed this little titbit:

Indywrestlingnews posted:

World Wrestling Entertainment star John Cena reportedly donated a watch designed to look like the WWE spinner championship belt. The watch was raffled with proceeds going to the fund.

http://www.indywrestlingnews.com/ne...cidq-verdi.html

If true, this seems really nice of Cena, but is there a link between him and Acid or is it just good WWE PR or what?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

He didn't even need to be in the title picture. With just one World title you could easily have Hogan in the semi main facing some dastardly heel like Jericho for a few months and evaluate if Hogan has legs. Putting aging but still over acts in the semi main slot has worked in the past and allows your card to have deeper drawing power than sticking it in the title picture.

After Wrestlemania X-8, WWE and Vince put a lot of money into "Hulk Still Rules" to see just how much money they could milk out of him being a nostalgia draw. With the belt, their hope was for 30 somethings to run in droves to WWE shows just to see Hulk as Champ one more time. Kind of like 70 somethings going to see the Eagles again, only with a lot less money going to Hulk (than what would goto the Eagles).

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Manwithastick posted:

If true, this seems really nice of Cena, but is there a link between him and Acid or is it just good WWE PR or what?

I can more or less guarantee that there is absolutely no link between WWE's #1 guy and anything involving CZW. It had to involve WWE to some extent for something merch to be created I suppose, but it really just seems like another example of Cena being one hell of a class act, even for obvious yardtard fuckups.

Not really a definitive answer, just one person's observation of the apparently obvious. :)

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare
NXT and Nexus have gotten me thinking:
What year has seen the most new wrestlers appear in WWE? Even if it was a one-time appearance, such as in some of the early Royal Rumbles. (Barring the merger with WCW/Invasion angle, unless that year is actually not the highest)

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Whats the story behind Randy slapping the poo poo out of that emo kid

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Salt In The Wound posted:

NXT and Nexus have gotten me thinking:
What year has seen the most new wrestlers appear in WWE? Even if it was a one-time appearance, such as in some of the early Royal Rumbles. (Barring the merger with WCW/Invasion angle, unless that year is actually not the highest)

The 2002 season of Tough Enough introduced a dozen contestants and a lot more made "one-time appearances". They also debuted a lot of new wrestlers into the proper roster with the brand extension (lots of new tag-teams like 3 Minute Warning and weaksauce OVW scrubs like Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Randy Orton, and Batista).

But the real answer is probably 1952.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

El Axo Grande posted:

Whats the story behind Randy slapping the poo poo out of that emo kid

If you had the chance to slap the poo poo out of an emo kid, wouldn't you?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Burrito posted:

If you had the chance to slap the poo poo out of an emo kid, wouldn't you?

With the WWE banner backing, it looks like some Fan Axxcess thing, where they let you film doing an interview. Especially with the kid's horrible acting in the end. I really, really want it to be real, but I'm betting it's not.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO
With Serena released for "not following the straight edge life style" and reading online that "it is said that Tiffany and the recently released Serena were not the only ones who made embarrassing scenes in public."

Anyone know what happened?

Did she just get sloppy drunk in public?

Because those Kelly Kelly pee sink photos are STILL online!

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Well it's not like you can get photos OFF the internet.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Well it's not like you can get photos OFF the internet.

last time i checked, they were still on her personal myspace page!
that internet glue is a bitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

sexy_trash posted:

With Serena released for "not following the straight edge life style" and reading online that "it is said that Tiffany and the recently released Serena were not the only ones who made embarrassing scenes in public."

Anyone know what happened?

Did she just get sloppy drunk in public?

Because those Kelly Kelly pee sink photos are STILL online!
Maybe Kelly Kelly is a frequent visitor to the Bear-Skin Rug.