Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Simkin posted:

Then again, everything's more fun when you actually get to shoot it, rather than just humping it around for the sake of weight.

C9!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
^^ Also, mortar and Carl G. :suicide:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

See that's why you go gun artillery

Why lug all that poo poo when you have trucks to do it for you?

"Artillery brings civilization into what would otherwise be a brawl."

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

:eng101: I believe you mean:

Frederick the Great posted:

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

But then again, he also said:

Frederick the Great posted:

Everybody is using coffee; this must be prevented. His Majesty was brought up on beer, and so were both his ancestors and officers. Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be relied upon to endure hardships in case of another war.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 31, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Hey, if that means replacing the lovely coffee crystals in my IMPs with a (by then) warm, flat, can of Keith's, sign me the gently caress up.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Hey, if that means replacing the lovely coffee crystals in my IMPs with a (by then) warm, flat, can of Keith's, sign me the gently caress up.

In the French Army rations ( Ive been told) get wine so maybe we could get beer.It would help with moral. The coffee in the IMP's isnt bad ( unless your really tired or really hungry, then its amazing) too bad the majority of the time I had the coffee it was eaten dry and washed down with cold water.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

MA-Horus posted:

See that's why you go gun artillery

Why lug all that poo poo when you have trucks to do it for you?

poo poo, knowing what I know now, I would rather have to lug poo poo around once in a while and be a fuckin' pog rather than artillery. Arty eats their own like no other. MP's buddy gently caress less than the artillery and thats their job.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

poo poo, knowing what I know now, I would rather have to lug poo poo around once in a while and be a fuckin' pog rather than artillery. Arty eats their own like no other. MP's buddy gently caress less than the artillery and thats their job.

There is a reason I am no longer artillery.

This is the reason. Got really sick and tired of my regiment attempting to buttfuck (not literally) in every possible situation. My gunners and NCOs were the best, and my battery officers were the finest I ever worked with, but the regimental fuckers ruined everything.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I can't speak about what it's like in regiment, but during the training, it's been pretty light in terms of people loving each other over. Hell, we didn't even intentionally gently caress over people that we really wanted to see kicked off course (and were later told that was exactly what we should have done by our course staff).

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Yeah, I can't speak about what it's like in regiment, but during the training, it's been pretty light in terms of people loving each other over. Hell, we didn't even intentionally gently caress over people that we really wanted to see kicked off course (and were later told that was exactly what we should have done by our course staff).

It happens, im basic we sabotaged a guy to get him recourses. Filling out VR forms and putting them on people's bed always helps getting the message sent. In battle school we wrote VR on some guys bed in sesame seeds, it actually looked really nice. Ive heard stories about French platoons stepping on the back of your ankle and pushing you forward to gently caress up your leg or pushing you down the stairs to get you medically removed.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 1, 2010

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Simkin posted:

Theres a difference. On course its acceptable to weed out people that would be detrimental to the military when the instructors can't get them off the course. However to get yourself promoted over someone else isn't

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

Ive heard stories about French platoons stepping on the back of your ankle and pushing you forward to gently caress up your leg or pushing you down the stairs to get you medically removed.

That's because the french are bastards. There was a french Sup Tech course at the same time as my RMS QL3, and they were such backstabbing fucks.

The cooks on the other hand were rocking awesome.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 16, 2017

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
apparently the van doos are banned from the JRs in wainwright for ripping a urinal off the wall and some other dumb poo poo

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Honestly, the only people on course (barring a few, scattered examples) that I really wouldn't trust with anything other than a pair of safety scissors, were the francos. Now watch as cruel fate laughs at me and I am assigned to the 22nd instead of 1 or 3VP. :smithicide:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Now watch as cruel fate laughs at me and I am assigned to the 22nd instead of 1 or 3VP. :smithicide:

Ive heard of French Armoured DP1 course's getting sent out west because they needed people then on the next graduating class ( all English) getting sent to Quebec. I hear learning a 2nd language through the military s a good gig. My cousin is a Capt and when he went through it they gave them money, beer tickets and weekends off to socialize to help learn the language.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

swagger like us posted:

apparently the van doos are banned from the JRs in wainwright for ripping a urinal off the wall and some other dumb poo poo

good

i hope they loving nuke wainwright.

gently caress that gay place.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Theres a difference. On course its acceptable to weed out people that would be detrimental to the military when the instructors can't get them off the course.

No its not.

Boogat
Jan 5, 2006

Oh, I am serious. Look, this is my serious face.

Fraser CDN posted:

I hear learning a 2nd language through the military s a good gig. My cousin is a Capt and when he went through it they gave them money, beer tickets and weekends off to socialize to help learn the language.
Do you know if they make all officers take the second language training course or is it optional depending on your job/where you will be assigned? I know a few of them I have been looking will say something like 'after BOTC you may be sent to take a second languages course for two to seven months' before receiving your CAP training.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

WOFOC posted:

No its not.

You're gonna have to explain this one.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I think SLT used to be mandatory for junior officers after a certain stage of training, and now it only pops up for certain trades (like PAFO). The option is still there, I believe, but it has to be slotted in somewhere around your actual trade training.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
SLt was brutal. Worst bender of my life.

Full contact ultimate frisbee is sweet though. One guy broke his loving femur playing with us.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Fraser CDN posted:

It happens, im basic we sabotaged a guy to get him recourses. Filling out VR forms and putting them on people's bed always helps getting the message sent. In battle school we wrote VR on some guys bed in sesame seeds, it actually looked really nice. Ive heard stories about French platoons stepping on the back of your ankle and pushing you forward to gently caress up your leg or pushing you down the stairs to get you medically removed.

There's a guy on my course who jerks off in his bunk at least 3 times a week. Loudly. Someone flipped his bunk before our platoon commander inspection, so he got a PO failure and is now getting PRB'd and kicked off platoon. We also did the VR form to one guy early on in basic and he eventually got the message, especially when our instructors would yell at him during drill and stuff and tell him they wanted his VR form on their desk week 5.

There's no physical abuse of the pumps in my platoon, gently caress, we had one guy who was nice and everything but not cut out for the military. My section tried our hardest to help him improve but he just wouldn't get better and now he's getting released. Most of the dudes who just suck rear end are either gone by now or on the verge of getting PRB'd and re-coursed or kicked out.

4 weeks t'ill I'm out of the shitshow that is St.Jean and onto PAT platoon for a long rear end time :( I've heard from guys who just graduated that the wait is gonna be like 3 - 6 months for SQ, but I won't know t'ill I get my posting message.

Guys, what the hell is up with Van-Doo's? I got chewed out by a french sergeant for a good 10 minutes today for not having good enough drill while walking the 10 feet from bathroom to break area and chewed out by a MCPL the day before for sneezing while at attention. Neither were my chain of command, both were super pissed off.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

There's a guy on my course who jerks off in his bunk at least 3 times a week. Loudly. Someone flipped his bunk before our platoon commander inspection, so he got a PO failure and is now getting PRB'd and kicked off platoon. We also did the VR form to one guy early on in basic and he eventually got the message, especially when our instructors would yell at him during drill and stuff and tell him they wanted his VR form on their desk week 5.

There's no physical abuse of the pumps in my platoon, gently caress, we had one guy who was nice and everything but not cut out for the military. My section tried our hardest to help him improve but he just wouldn't get better and now he's getting released. Most of the dudes who just suck rear end are either gone by now or on the verge of getting PRB'd and re-coursed or kicked out.

4 weeks t'ill I'm out of the shitshow that is St.Jean and onto PAT platoon for a long rear end time :( I've heard from guys who just graduated that the wait is gonna be like 3 - 6 months for SQ, but I won't know t'ill I get my posting message.

Guys, what the hell is up with Van-Doo's? I got chewed out by a french sergeant for a good 10 minutes today for not having good enough drill while walking the 10 feet from bathroom to break area and chewed out by a MCPL the day before for sneezing while at attention. Neither were my chain of command, both were super pissed off.

You might think 3-6 months is a long time but it will amazing ( depending on tasking and PAT staff). When I was on PAT we read books, listened to Ipods and slept. It was fun. You might also get some cool tasking like enemy force or GD. Also dont be so happy to leave St. Jean. Its one of the best bases you will go to (except if you go to Borden). The food is good and its easy compared to what you will be doing on SQ, QL3/DP1.

The Vandoo's get yelled a lot in training and they like to yell. I know people who had Vandoo staff and they really liked to yell. You probably got jacked up because, he is an instructor and well, its their job.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ Or he's covering up his inadequacies as a soldier and a lover. :ssh:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
^^ Maybe they are just pissed off cause they are French, I could see that as a possibility.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
BIQ was not fun.

Half the course were terrible shitpumps who would complain about getting three range days in a row or other awesome infantry stuff. The course staff wouldn't RTU anyone regardless of how much they hosed up. Only one guy got an RTU, and that was because he couldn't pass the god drat CF EXPRES test. Seven pushups. SEVEN. I don't think we made a single timing, even with generous time constraints. 20 minutes to poo poo shower shave and be formed up? How can you possibly gently caress that up?

SQ was awesome though, every course should be taught by 1VP PPCLI.

Cat Ninja
Jun 1, 2010

猫忍だにゃ!
EDIT: NVM, someone is helping me with MTOES on the Canadian side. Thanks much.

Cat Ninja fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 6, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Fraser CDN posted:

You might think 3-6 months is a long time but it will amazing ( depending on tasking and PAT staff). When I was on PAT we read books, listened to Ipods and slept. It was fun. You might also get some cool tasking like enemy force or GD. Also dont be so happy to leave St. Jean. Its one of the best bases you will go to (except if you go to Borden). The food is good and its easy compared to what you will be doing on SQ, QL3/DP1.

The Vandoo's get yelled a lot in training and they like to yell. I know people who had Vandoo staff and they really liked to yell. You probably got jacked up because, he is an instructor and well, its their job.

I want to go sleep in holes and shoot my rifle though :(

Enemy force would be awesome though. If I get put on PAt after my BMQ is it likely that they'd send me to Gagetown to wait for my SQ(which is in Gagetown AFAIK) or is it possible they send me somewhere else? I've heard it's not uncommon to just get sent home if you live somewhere where there's a base if you have a long wait.

And don't get me wrong, St.Jean is awesome, I just wanna get through my training as quick as I can so I can get to my unit, get my goddamn chevron and ditch my cornflake for a beaver.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

I want to go sleep in holes and shoot my rifle though :(

Enemy force would be awesome though. If I get put on PAt after my BMQ is it likely that they'd send me to Gagetown to wait for my SQ(which is in Gagetown AFAIK) or is it possible they send me somewhere else? I've heard it's not uncommon to just get sent home if you live somewhere where there's a base if you have a long wait.

And don't get me wrong, St.Jean is awesome, I just wanna get through my training as quick as I can so I can get to my unit, get my goddamn chevron and ditch my cornflake for a beaver.

PAT platoon can ruin people, depending on who's in charge of ya. Hopefully you don't have to do it for long, if at all. SQ can probably be run at most bases these days, mine was in Meaford though in case it helps.

You're right to want to get done your training asap. Life is much better once you've started your real job. Are you aware of which engineer battalion you'll be joining?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I don't know, I'd be happy in either 2 CER in Pet or 1 CER in Edmonton. I speak French so it's even possible that I get sent to Valcartier.

I was talking with a 2 CER MCPL, and he told me that all the regiments are hurting for people right now and that if I ask to go to a specific base I'll probably get sent there. There's a lot of new recruits going through the system right now, so hopefully that doesn't screw everything up and I don't wind up in Gagetown or Valcartier.

I've heard good things about Edmonton from my sergeant and been told that Pet is boring as gently caress but that 2 CER is a great regiment and that Pet is a great place to raise a family and has cheap housing. Really I just want to be in or near a city cause I'm young and want to party and take classes at the University of Alberta.

Oh and I just thought I'd mention that there where a bunch of SAR techs at St.Jean for a meeting or some poo poo and those dudes are badass as all gently caress. It takes a special breed to make bright orange coveralls look cool.

Samu fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 6, 2010

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Samu posted:

I've heard good things about Edmonton from my sergeant and been told that Pet is boring as gently caress but that 2 CER is a great regiment and that Pet is a great place to raise a family and has cheap housing. Really I just want to be in or near a city cause I'm young and want to party and take classes at the University of Alberta.

Oh and I just thought I'd mention that there where a bunch of SAR techs at St.Jean for a meeting or some poo poo and those dudes are badass as all gently caress. It takes a special breed to make bright orange coveralls look cool.

Pet is a shithole, go for Edmonton. You get an extra bit of pay to live off base aswell, about 400 bucks a month I believe? And LDA so that adds up. Ottawa is about 40-50 minutes from Pet and Edmonton is well, 20 minutes north of downtown. Don't be stupid choose Edmonton

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah
some times i wish i joined the infatnry but other times i am lollin at this thread so idk :iiam:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

I don't know, I'd be happy in either 2 CER in Pet or 1 CER in Edmonton. I speak French so it's even possible that I get sent to Valcartier.

Yeah, if you really don't care where you go, don't go to Pet. It truly is a shithole. If you are going to want to be close to home though, then stay close to home. Canada's a big place.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
PAT is brutal. Second worst bender of my life. It's a slow burn though, since I'm not going to be off until may next year.

The constant hangover isn't helping my back at all though (and neither is constant Physio, MRI next week for that one :ohdear:).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, maybe you should try to catch infantry support weapons with your back. :laugh:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

C9!!! :argh:

Pffft, after being a C6 gunner for a while he C9 felt like a feather sent down to me from heaven. I love it to bits.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

PAT is brutal. Second worst bender of my life.

Yea same, regiment is the biggest bender of my life though

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I keep having this reoccuring dream where I'm in a convoy that's just been hit by insurgents, and I have the C9 and it keeps jamming on me so I have to fire one shot at a time and eventually i get so pissed I use it as a club to beat people's heads in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

MA-Horus posted:

I keep having this reoccuring dream where I'm in a convoy that's just been hit by insurgents, and I have the C9 and it keeps jamming on me so I have to fire one shot at a time and eventually i get so pissed I use it as a club to beat people's heads in.

It wasn't a dream, the Edmonton police are searching for you.