Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Yep, fairly certain that's it! Thanks!

(Is it worth reading?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
So I have a pretty vague description of a science fiction series I read quite a while back. I remember almost nothing about it--the author was female, it took place on another planet, and I believe there were cities that many characters lived in, but there were also the equivalent of peasants. I can't even remember what the plots were at this point, I just remember enjoying them.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

So I have a pretty vague description of a science fiction series I read quite a while back. I remember almost nothing about it--the author was female, it took place on another planet, and I believe there were cities that many characters lived in, but there were also the equivalent of peasants. I can't even remember what the plots were at this point, I just remember enjoying them.

Long-shot: The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

The Keltiad series, by Patricia Kennealy-Morrison (The Copper Crown, The Throne of Scone, The Silver Branch, etc.)?

It takes places on some distant planets where Celtic people settled after leaving Earth on a spaceship. There are cities. I don't specifically remember peasants, but the books are this mix of sci-fi and fantasy, so I suppose that could have been an element.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
Neither of those are correct, but I appreciate the effort.

I should clarify--it really isn't fantasy in the least, despite the presence of "peasants". I can't believe I don't remember more about this series.

well dressed hobo
Nov 8, 2009
well fellow goons, I hope you can assist me on this one:

Years ago I was catching glimpses of a short story read by someone else while taking public transportation. The details I remember are sparse:

Humanity discovers that people actually do go to heaven when they die and that this heaven is in fact on Venus. People start committing suicide, governments are handing out suicide kits and the whole population of Earth is preparing to migrate to Venus completely. This is all I remember. :(

any ideas?
thanks!

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

well dressed hobo posted:

Humanity discovers that people actually do go to heaven when they die and that this heaven is in fact on Venus. People start committing suicide, governments are handing out suicide kits and the whole population of Earth is preparing to migrate to Venus completely. This is all I remember. :(

Not an exact match, but there's a Ray Bradbury short story called Mars is Heaven!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_is_Heaven!

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."

well dressed hobo posted:

well fellow goons, I hope you can assist me on this one:

Years ago I was catching glimpses of a short story read by someone else while taking public transportation. The details I remember are sparse:

any ideas?
thanks!

This was also, as i recall, the story "Obsolete" in Chuck Palahniuks weird collection "Haunted"

RandomEffects fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 5, 2010

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

bengraven posted:

Mine might be hard:

It's a Choose Your Own Adventure-like book.

The cover was an armored (I keep seeing Trojan-like armor), possibly lazer gun wielding man riding a horse or some other creature, firing up at something. It took place on an alien planet and I remember it being fairly complex for a CYOA style book - I don't think I ever actually "beat" it, even by cheating. I remember it had a map as well.

That is all the details I have, it's been killing me since I read it - which would have been before 1993.

Sounds like The Badlands of Hark and its follow-up The Invaders of Hark. I loved them in elementary school and was disappointed the series didn't continue.

Gobeachfrog
Jan 30, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Some short story by Orson Scott Card

Two brothers are hitchhiking and are picked up by a women.
The older brother trys to rape her but she manages to turn the
tables and they are both left stranded and naked.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Gobeachfrog posted:

Some short story by Orson Scott Card

Two brothers are hitchhiking and are picked up by a women.
The older brother trys to rape her but she manages to turn the
tables and they are both left stranded and naked.
I've never read it, but he wrote a short story called 'Hitching'.

JihadforChrist
Mar 19, 2010
I think this may have been a Stephen King book but I'm not sure. I belive the setting was in the south but the main character was this young girl who was scared of sticking her hands under a some sort of building (they lived on a farm) because of some manevolent creature there. It killed alot of the chickens in their chicken coop

The writing made it sound like the creature was there one moment and gone the next not tied to any sort of reality. The girl sticks her arm under and it comes out bloodied and the next moment she's fine.

It scared me as a kid and I'd like to find out what it was.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
If you guys can help me find this book, I don't know what I'll do. I have been trying to remember it for years now.

In middle school I read this pretty thick book. It was science fiction based and centered around three orphans. One was a guy who was taller and more beefy than the other two, and I believe the other two were a boy and girl (the story centered around the girl). There were some sexual themes in the book, as racy as it gets for middle schoolers. I remember they were on this book long quest looking for something and sometimes got into fights but usually ran. One scene I definitely remember was this part where they were in the sewers. I also remember there was a scene where they were in the snow. The cover had all three of them on it (at least this hardbook one did) and it was black. There was also a storyline that played on the female's eyes because they were so unique. I am 99% sure this was a single book and not part of a series.

Yeah, pretty sketchy but that is all I can really remember besides lame stuff like my friend had checked out Blood and Chocolate at the same time I got this one. I checked it out twice and loved it both times and eventually I moved on to The Seventh Tower series which I also loved.

Munkie
Feb 3, 2007
Mmm..chickens

Pandanaut posted:

In middle school I read this pretty thick book. It was science fiction based and centered around three orphans. One was a guy who was taller and more beefy than the other two, and I believe the other two were a boy and girl (the story centered around the girl). There were some sexual themes in the book, as racy as it gets for middle schoolers. I remember they were on this book long quest looking for something and sometimes got into fights but usually ran. One scene I definitely remember was this part where they were in the sewers. I also remember there was a scene where they were in the snow. The cover had all three of them on it (at least this hardbook one did) and it was black. There was also a storyline that played on the female's eyes because they were so unique. I am 99% sure this was a single book and not part of a series.

Could it be "The Ear, The Eye and the Arm" by Nancy Farmer?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What sucks about this one is it's a book I know I own, I just don't remember which it is...

Written in the '60s, about a mid future point (3-400 years I think?) Only thing I remember is that the protagonist is hidden at some point in a giant underground 'vat' of processed protein. It was a mutant chicken hundreds of feet in diameter that the city used for it's food supply. Every day they'd carve off a few tons of it for food and it'd grow back. I think a female character had a flute or something that she'd play and the 'chicken' would move a bit to get to a hiding spot under it's bulk.

I think it may be Immortality Inc. But not sure...

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Hughlander posted:

What sucks about this one is it's a book I know I own, I just don't remember which it is...

Written in the '60s, about a mid future point (3-400 years I think?) Only thing I remember is that the protagonist is hidden at some point in a giant underground 'vat' of processed protein. It was a mutant chicken hundreds of feet in diameter that the city used for it's food supply. Every day they'd carve off a few tons of it for food and it'd grow back. I think a female character had a flute or something that she'd play and the 'chicken' would move a bit to get to a hiding spot under it's bulk.

It's 'The Space Merchants' by Pohl and Kornbluth.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Unkempt posted:

It's 'The Space Merchants' by Pohl and Kornbluth.

Thanks, I'll have to grab it from my bookshelf, just checked it's wiki page and saw:

'wiki posted:

As with many significant works of science fiction, it was lexically inventive. The novel is cited by the Oxford English Dictionary as the first recorded source for a number of new words, including "soyaburger", "moon suit", "tri-di" for "three-dimensional", "R and D" for "research and development", "sucker-trap" for a shop aimed at gullible tourists, and one of the first uses of "muzak" as a generic term. It is also cited as the first incidence of "survey" as a verb meaning to carry out a poll.

Amusing that I can't remember a thing about the actual plot...

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Hughlander posted:

This is Pohl & Kornbluth's The Space Merchants, or (more likely from what I remember) its sequel, The Merchants' War - I forget exactly which one has that scene. It's a satire of consumerism, with advertising incredibly rampant and has the protagonist being physically addicted to a brand of cola at one point. The hiding place under the chicken is something to do with a resistance movement or secret society.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Munkie posted:

Could it be "The Ear, The Eye and the Arm" by Nancy Farmer?

Unfortunately it's not. :( But that book looks very interesting and I may have to pick it up (at the least, I put it on my Amazon wishlist!).

Birthdayboy
Dec 17, 2005

My wife is trying to find a book she read at her public library in the early 90's. It's actually a graphic novel about a teenage girl growing up in the 60's. She's fuzzy on a lot of the story line and names, but remembers this girl had a crush on her older male cousin and was pretty awkward in general.

Any ideas?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hope you folks can help me, Gonna throw in an obscure one, I remember how I came across the book, but apparently google never works the same way twice over the years.

General plot revolves around a civilization that exists inside a Dyson Sphere, and uses airships to get around from, I don't exactly remember if they are planets or not. The outer shell of the sphere itself is covered in ice. I also recall the book containing another character who mentioned that he/she was from outside the sphere doing anthropological research, because the outside world had become extraordinarily advanced that there is no other point in doing any sort of science, or something along these lines.

Thanks in advance.

E: I found it. It's called "Sun of Suns" by Karl Schroeder.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 2, 2010

Four Seat
Aug 5, 2010
I'm looking for a SF short story I read in 2006 or 2007, though the story was probably published a good 10 years previous.

Humans colonize Earth (or maybe just evolve there) and it's a hot jungle atmosphere. The climate begins to change and the people get this disease where their skin starts changing (may start out as a 'rash' kind of thing). Some of the population leaves (or the colonizers) to find the cure. Many years (thousands perhaps) and they send a radio transmission back saying that they have found the cure. The transmission is something along the lines of "If you are still white, we can cure that."

I don't think the author was Vonnegut, though it did remind me of a number of his stories.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Four Seat posted:

The transmission is something along the lines of "If you are still white, we can cure that."

Google suggests Clarke's "Reunion".

Four Seat
Aug 5, 2010

fritz posted:

Google suggests Clarke's "Reunion".

Thank you. It is indeed "Reunion." The name didn't ring a bell, but the discription did.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I read this one as a kid - I think it was from a collection of short stories edited by Bruce Coville.

It's a real brief piece, and it starts with a line about knowing the secret to immortality. The narrator talks about receiving a phone call, and the man on the other end of the line asked for a few minutes of his time. The guy says OK, and he feels just a small part of himself die.

I'm explaining this poorly (and it's jumbled in my head from so many years ago), but basically the thrust of the story is that the guy on the other end of the line is stealing little bits of people's lives to keep himself from aging. It was an odd concept that warped my little brain.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
When I was little, I had this terrifying book (or maybe just a story).

It had to do with this fat man, who wasn't really a person, he was something else. He'd abduct people, like pizza delivery kids, and suck the skin off them or eat them or something and replace the bodies with puppets intended to mimic them.

I think the main character was a kid who snuck into his house and found out about it.

I specifically remember a scene where he's in the fat things house and there's hundreds of pizza boxes and the like laying around.

edit: here's number two.

A book I read where some guy found these metallic buglike or crablike things in his basement that his grandfather knew about. They were intelligent and began constructing some kind of machine or clock down there.

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 2, 2010

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rough Lobster posted:

When I was little, I had this terrifying book (or maybe just a story).

It had to do with this fat man, who wasn't really a person, he was something else. He'd abduct people, like pizza delivery kids, and suck the skin off them or eat them or something and replace the bodies with puppets intended to mimic them.

I think the main character was a kid who snuck into his house and found out about it.

I specifically remember a scene where he's in the fat things house and there's hundreds of pizza boxes and the like laying around.

Was it a biography of George Ronald Reuel Martin, more commonly known to fans as GEORGE R. R. MARTIN?

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

In middle school (1989-1991) I read a series of books that were similar to the Hardy Boys, but set in the future; well, the near future at that time.

The stories revolved around two teenage boys that used technology to solve crimes, but the only story I remember involved a video game they were playing often, that involved roller coasters with weapons on them. I think there was a bit about Internet use as well, and maybe reprogramming robots in a story.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
This was a story, probably intended for young adults, about people made of cloth. There's a family of them, and they live together secretly in our world, possibly in London. They were made by an old lady who dies before the story starts, and she developed better stitching techniques as she went along. I don't remember much about the plot except that the daughter of the family is frustrated by the secrecy and goes out into the world, meeting humans and getting a job. I also remember that there's a half-finished cloth person who comes to life gradually over the course of the story. I have a vague sense that the title of the book was something along the lines of "The Mennipins," except that the Minnipins are the characters from The Gammage Cup so that can't be right.

Pandanaut: The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm is rad and I hope you enjoy it!

Edit: Much more Googling got me my answer: "The Mennyms," by Sylvia Waugh.

Helena Handbasket fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 5, 2010

Battle Bott
May 6, 2007

I've been looking forever for this sci-fi trilogy about a commoner who gets caught stealing, then loses an arm for it. Then through some weird circumstances he becomes a high up lord guy, he goes to really fancy logic school, and defeats bad guys. The surface of their planet is barrenish, and there are giant floating terraformer sphere things, one of the bad guys has a base there. This one armed guy is also a climber. The plot has something or another to do with people telling the future.

Edit: through some magic keywords and luck I figured out it's The Nulapeiron Sequence by John Meany.

Battle Bott fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 9, 2010

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

SUBFRIES posted:

In middle school (1989-1991) I read a series of books that were similar to the Hardy Boys, but set in the future; well, the near future at that time.

The stories revolved around two teenage boys that used technology to solve crimes, but the only story I remember involved a video game they were playing often, that involved roller coasters with weapons on them. I think there was a bit about Internet use as well, and maybe reprogramming robots in a story.

I'm pretty sure this is the Chip Mitchell series, by Fred D'Ignazio, which was like an 80s future Encyclopedia Brown -- every story would have some puzzle to solve at the end.

I can't find much info online about it, but I remember some details, if they ring any bells:

- Chip lived with his aunt and a lot of animals. He was really tall and did kneebends in the shower
- One story was about programming a computer to find a simulated submarine
- One involved a map printed on some microchips
- The roller coaster game was one the two boys programmed which got stolen by some mean tomboy girl called Kate (who later helped them solve a bank robbery)

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
I read a short story a while back that was recommended by a friend and I can't recall the title.

It's about this world where the actual world is gone and there's only the "digital world" and you can do anything you want and you can't die. The main character is this woman that's a death junkie or something like that. She basically looks for people that make little programs that she can boot up that will kill her in interesting ways. One was where she was tied to a chair in a pit with a rabid dog and she slowly died of rabies.

I don't know if that's enough information or not. Cheers to whomever can figure out the title/author!

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

le capitan posted:

I read a short story a while back that was recommended by a friend and I can't recall the title.

It's about this world where the actual world is gone and there's only the "digital world" and you can do anything you want and you can't die. The main character is this woman that's a death junkie or something like that. She basically looks for people that make little programs that she can boot up that will kill her in interesting ways. One was where she was tied to a chair in a pit with a rabid dog and she slowly died of rabies.

I don't know if that's enough information or not. Cheers to whomever can figure out the title/author!

The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect, by Roger Williams.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

rollick posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the Chip Mitchell series, by Fred D'Ignazio, which was like an 80s future Encyclopedia Brown -- every story would have some puzzle to solve at the end.

I can't find much info online about it, but I remember some details, if they ring any bells:

- Chip lived with his aunt and a lot of animals. He was really tall and did kneebends in the shower
- One story was about programming a computer to find a simulated submarine
- One involved a map printed on some microchips
- The roller coaster game was one the two boys programmed which got stolen by some mean tomboy girl called Kate (who later helped them solve a bank robbery)

Thanks rollick! That all seems to be inline with the stories I was trying to remember.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Two short stories I can't remember the name of.

First one was by Kurt Vonnegut. I read it in high school, so I might not remember details well, but it was basically about a family and a radio signal or something that when people hear it it kinda gets them high or makes them wig out. I think a lot of time passes without them realizing it.

Second one I heard on NPR. It was about someone who finds a hole in the backyard of a house, and inside they meet the incarnations of all the excuses they've created. There was a non-existent uncle who had cancer and all sorts of horrible ailments that the protagonist had dreamt up to get out of work.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

First one was by Kurt Vonnegut. I read it in high school, so I might not remember details well, but it was basically about a family and a radio signal or something that when people hear it it kinda gets them high or makes them wig out. I think a lot of time passes without them realizing it.

The Euphio Question

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

greatZebu posted:

The Euphio Question

That sounds about right, thanks!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm trying to ID a SF short story I read years ago in a big collection. It was relatively near-future, and was a noir-ish conspiracy story. SETI had discovered 3 alien civilisations, and Earth was trading information with them at light speed. In order to circumvent trade restrictions, one corporation was trying to fake a seperate civilisation on the moon Europa to the aliens.

It was in a year's best collection, or something of the sort.

Ed: Ok, I found it after a couple of hours of googling. The story was Creative Destruction by Edward Lerner, in Year's Best SF 7.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 13, 2010

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!
Pop Science book about genetics (not microbe hunters) from the early-mid 00's. Almost a philosophical discussion about genes and how they control us. I remember one of the themes was about how the X gene is the real controller of us.

I had a trade PB and I think I remember a dark blue color with ?yellow/orange letters and maybe a helix in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Looking for a small format paperback that had quotes from Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire combined with photos of various historical figures from the 20th century. The only two photos I specifically remember were of Muhammad Ali and Joseph McCarthy, but the general point of the book was to match up selected passages from Gibbon with relevant people and events from recent history. I saw the book in the late 90s (if anyone was at Amherst College in the mid-90s, the copy I saw was on a coffee table outside of, I believe, Norton Starr's office), but it was definitely something that had been published quite a bit earlier -- in the 70s or 80s, I would guess.