Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I got Chromeo tonight! Their band management and US management are super friendly and quick to respond. So, if they're coming to your town, go for it.

Chromeo. Whoa Oh. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunx17/sets/72157624809983180/

About 5 other people in the photo pit, including someone with a D3x who had to hold their hand over their hot-shoe flash to "hide" that they couldn't turn off the flash from the security guys, for all 3 songs. That couldn't have been comfortable to shoot. Great show over all.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Looking good Dunkman. Love chromeo.

So is the NEX5 the magical concert camera we've been waiting our whole lives for? Whats the fastest lens they make that works with autofocus?

edit: It's available on lensrentals.com to try out and it looks like theres a Sony 35 f/1.4

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 26, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So is the NEX5 the magical concert camera we've been waiting our whole lives for? Whats the fastest lens they make that works with autofocus?

edit: It's available on lensrentals.com to try out and it looks like theres a Sony 35 f/1.4

Maybe for small, intimate shows; if you're shooting a regular band from a photo pit I don't think the NEX's size/ergonomics are really much of an asset. I suppose it would be good for passing off as a "who gives a crap?" P&S if you're not shooting officially though :haw:

I don't think any of the Alpha-mount lenses will AF even on the Sony adapter, so the answer to your question would be the 16mm f/2.8. Manual focus is fine with the LiveView/digital zoom, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about shooting action that way, haven't tried it.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Think they'll make a Canon EF to NEX adapter ring that keeps auto-focus and everything else so that I can take in the NEX while my friends smuggle in all the diff lenses?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

dunkman posted:

About 5 other people in the photo pit, including someone with a D3x who had to hold their hand over their hot-shoe flash to "hide" that they couldn't turn off the flash from the security guys, for all 3 songs. That couldn't have been comfortable to shoot. Great show over all.

Those look really great dude. As for the other photog, I've heard of people using flashes with AF-Assist with electrical tape over the lens to focus in really poo poo lighting, I've ever tried it though it seems like it would work.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

AtomicManiac posted:

Those look really great dude. As for the other photog, I've heard of people using flashes with AF-Assist with electrical tape over the lens to focus in really poo poo lighting, I've ever tried it though it seems like it would work.

Why wouldn't you, oh I don't know, select the "disable flash" option in the menu? Drives me nuts! I use my 430 EXII for AF, I just turn off the flash on the camera so it doesn't pop. I thought that was pretty standard.

After they kicked us out of the pit (I was using the Canon 24-70 2.8L in there) I went back and was using my 70-200 2.8 IS for the distance ones. It worked out really well.

I'll put these together for a sound surveillance post after the weekend.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

AtomicManiac posted:

I'm really surprised that there isn't just a setting on the flashes to use the assist w/out actually using the flash. That thing is so helpful in low-light conditions, especially since you can actually see it to tell where you're focusing if you want to shoot from the hip or something.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

dunkman posted:

Why wouldn't you, oh I don't know, select the "disable flash" option in the menu? Drives me nuts! I use my 430 EXII for AF, I just turn off the flash on the camera so it doesn't pop. I thought that was pretty standard.

After they kicked us out of the pit (I was using the Canon 24-70 2.8L in there) I went back and was using my 70-200 2.8 IS for the distance ones. It worked out really well.

I'll put these together for a sound surveillance post after the weekend.

I was not aware there was an option for that. Something new everyday..

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

AtomicManiac posted:

I was not aware there was an option for that. Is this in the camera menu or on the flash menu? I have the 430exii as well.

It's under flash control, it was on my T1i and my 7D.

Hit Menu, at the bottom (in red) is Flash control, first thing is Enable or Disable.

Disabling it makes the AF-Assist work just fine, but the flash will not fire. You can just switch it back to get the flash to fire.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Do they make hot shoe AF assists, no flash? I'd love a small laser AF assist attachment which wasn't huge like an on-camera flash.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

dunkman posted:

It's under flash control, it was on my T1i and my 7D.

Hit Menu, at the bottom (in red) is Flash control, first thing is Enable or Disable.

Disabling it makes the AF-Assist work just fine, but the flash will not fire. You can just switch it back to get the flash to fire.

oh wow, that's rad. I had no idea that was a setting. I always rent the 580exII so I still don't have my own flash to play with.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Here's a promo shot from last weekend.

Webb (8/21/10) by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

All in all I had about 10 minutes to find a spot, set up my gear, and get the band together before they had to play. Moral of the story: When going to a show with a girl where you're shooting a promo before the show, tell her you need to be there 30 minutes earlier than you actually need to be.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Any bandshoot-goons going to be at SXSW? I'm booking some flights all the way from breezy ol' Australia and hopefully confirming my media pass tomorrow. Drinks and lens nerdery commence?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

Any bandshoot-goons going to be at SXSW? I'm booking some flights all the way from breezy ol' Australia and hopefully confirming my media pass tomorrow. Drinks and lens nerdery commence?

I thought about it, but I don't know what my financial situation will be by that time, do you really need to get your passes in order this far in advance?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
For cheapness, yes. Also, our economy could turn to poo poo if and when a government actually gets in power (1 week and counting!) so I'm bein' all cautious and stuff.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Maybe for small, intimate shows; if you're shooting a regular band from a photo pit I don't think the NEX's size/ergonomics are really much of an asset. I suppose it would be good for passing off as a "who gives a crap?" P&S if you're not shooting officially though :haw:

I don't think any of the Alpha-mount lenses will AF even on the Sony adapter, so the answer to your question would be the 16mm f/2.8. Manual focus is fine with the LiveView/digital zoom, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about shooting action that way, haven't tried it.

Yea, not for professional pit photos, but for shows that are like 800-1,000 people big. If you get there early up in front of the stage, where they don't allow you to bring in DSLRs like the 9:30 club in DC.

Thats a bummer that Sony lenses don't autofocus on the NEX.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Speaking of promo shots I really wish all "metal" bands didn't prefer the whole "arms crossed tough guy" look. One guy wasn't even looking half the time!

I hope at least some of the promos I did tonight turned out good.

Quick edit. I have no idea how I'm going to edit these. Look at those crossed arms!

IMG_9078 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 28, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Finally got around to loading my shots from Ozzfest onto my computer. Here's a few quick edits from the show.

Drowning Pool

Kingdom of Sorrow. I'm pretty sure their bassist is Chewbacca.

Nonpoint

Devildriver

Halford...I like this one because it looks like he's yelling his name.

Motley Crue. We were only allowed to shoot their set from the sound board. Probably because they don't want us taking photos of their receding hairlines.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Speaking of promo shots I really wish all "metal" bands didn't prefer the whole "arms crossed tough guy" look. One guy wasn't even looking half the time!

I hope at least some of the promos I did tonight turned out good.

Quick edit. I have no idea how I'm going to edit these. Look at those crossed arms!

IMG_9078 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I think that's kind of typical of the "Standing in a straight line" shot. It's hard to know what to do with your hands and in any kind of band pushing out a "rock" type of image is gonna do that because it's safe. Next time try to bring them into an environment they can interact in, things they can hang on, sit on, lean against, things like that. That's why stairs work so well for promo shots, there's a lot you can do with it, even if it has all been done before.

All else fails, bring some props for them to hold/interact with.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Anyone ever think about touring?

I know Joey L went on "tour" going around photographing bands in different places around the US, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience getting into a van with a band, and going with them on tour.

Right now I'm funemployed (well I work as a free-lance writer, but I can do that anywhere I have an internet connection) and I've been thinking about becoming a roadie for a touring band. I figure if they get me a place to sleep and give me a per diem to cover food I'd help them load in and work merch, so long as I could have a few songs from every set to shoot. Get the tour schedule and the openers and talk to the bands about doing some cheap promos before the show and just go out there and meet some people, see new things, shoot new bands in new places. It seems like it'd be an awesome way to see the country on the cheap.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

Right now I'm funemployed (well I work as a free-lance writer, but I can do that anywhere I have an internet connection) and I've been thinking about becoming a roadie for a touring band. I figure if they get me a place to sleep and give me a per diem to cover food I'd help them load in and work merch, so long as I could have a few songs from every set to shoot. Get the tour schedule and the openers and talk to the bands about doing some cheap promos before the show and just go out there and meet some people, see new things, shoot new bands in new places. It seems like it'd be an awesome way to see the country on the cheap.

I know a few photographers that have done that. Those kinds of things aren't really about the concert shots so much as the candids of everything in between shows since doing full show shoots of the same band every night would probably get real old, real quick.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

HPL posted:

I know a few photographers that have done that. Those kinds of things aren't really about the concert shots so much as the candids of everything in between shows since doing full show shoots of the same band every night would probably get real old, real quick.

I meant shooting the other bands that were playing with the band I was touring with. On the flip side, if you saw a band every night for a week you would learn where the "choreography" is and by the 3rd night you could probably have a really cool shot of every cool thing they normally do on stage.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 1, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

That's basically my favorite stuff to shoot (and I'm doing dick all right now), but I don't really know anybody in a band/related to the music scene. I think it's been like 3 years since I went to a show.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Every time anyone I know goes into a band's van, it has something to do with drugs. I don't know if that's helpful or not.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

rockcity posted:

Ozzfest photos

I hate metal with every fiber of my being. It's just not my thing at all. If it's yours that's great I'm not hear to debate or argue about it. I dislike the culture, the music and pretty much drat near everything about it. I'm not saying this to insult anyone just to give some context for my opinion.

These photos are loving awesome. There's a lot of movement to them and I feel like the camera is sucking me in with the sense of motion these give. Especially the first three. Great composition and perspective all around. Nicely done.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haggins posted:

Every time anyone I know goes into a band's van, it has something to do with drugs. I don't know if that's helpful or not.

Yeah that's the other thing, need to be far and away from drugs if at all possible.

Maybe there's a straight-edge band that's touring :suicide:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

I know Joey L went on "tour" going around photographing bands in different places around the US, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience getting into a van with a band, and going with them on tour.

I've done it. Not a full tour, but I went on Warped Tour for a week last year with Chiodos. It was a lot of fun and led to some cool behind the scenes type photos. I have some cool ones of a few people getting tattoed on the bus that I like a lot. Half the week I was on the bus and half I was in a car with one of the band members and a few of our friends, so it was really low key. I was unemployed for a few months at the end of last year and if all the bands I'm close with weren't recording, I probably would have gone out for a few weeks.

ZoCrowes posted:

I hate metal with every fiber of my being. It's just not my thing at all. If it's yours that's great I'm not hear to debate or argue about it. I dislike the culture, the music and pretty much drat near everything about it. I'm not saying this to insult anyone just to give some context for my opinion.

These photos are loving awesome. There's a lot of movement to them and I feel like the camera is sucking me in with the sense of motion these give. Especially the first three. Great composition and perspective all around. Nicely done.

Thanks. I've been shooting concerts for over 7 years now, so I've come to get a pretty good hold on framing and composition in general when it comes to the member and my camera. I used to take way more photos when I was just getting into it, but I usually only end up taking maybe 120-150 per set now just because I know what's going to look good and I don't shoot the photo if I know it's not going to look good. Also if you spend less time with your eyes glued to the viewfinder you can pay more attention to your peripheral vision and see when another band member is doing something that would look good. I see tons of photographers missing awesome moments because they're so glued to a band member doing jack poo poo.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's basically my favorite stuff to shoot (and I'm doing dick all right now), but I don't really know anybody in a band/related to the music scene. I think it's been like 3 years since I went to a show.

This is definitely the best stuff to shoot on tour. You also get the benefit of learning their performance and knowing when they're going to do cool stuff like jumping or other poses...or they just make creepy faces at you. Here's a few examples of both.

Chiodos getting ready.

People keeping cool in the spray of a fire truck at Warped Tour several years ago.

My friend Sonny who used to do this at the same point each show, so it became easy to know when he'd do it.

Creepy face example.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 1, 2010

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

AtomicManiac posted:

Touring is really good, if you are with the right people. One other big plus is that shooting in different places usually opens you up creatively, rather than having to stick to the same venue over and over.

If you get lots of cool gig and especially behind the scenes shots, there's a good chance the artist you shoot would want to license some for album art (such as in the booklet) or even let you make a mini tour photo book.

No matter what though, touring is a really good experience.

When the economy took a nosedive, I got less regular gigs locally, but luckally at the same time I started touring the world with Deadmau5 to more than make up for it.

I also tour with Tommy Lee every now and then when my schedule is a bit slow, usually during Motley Crue dates.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

rockcity posted:

Devildriver

heheh, this is my girlfriend's cousin.

great shots man.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

HPL posted:

Yer you only have to look at Annie Leibovitz's stuff with the rolling stones, really great insight into the band, I mean alot of why the pictures are so great is because of the status of the rolling stones, but still good stuff.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah that's the other thing, need to be far and away from drugs if at all possible.

Alot of interesting stuff happens around drugs.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I'm thinking of shooting through a media application using Sound Surveillance for a festival; what do you guys reckon? Enough content up on there yet?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

I, Butthole posted:

I'm thinking of shooting through a media application using Sound Surveillance for a festival; what do you guys reckon? Enough content up on there yet?

We really need a staff page.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

What festival, and how far away is it? I'm going to be putting up reviews and photos of warped tour and ozzfest very shortly, probably tomorrow which should definitely help out.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I used it to get into the Cancer bats/Iron giant gig and there wasn't even content on the .com yet. I just said "yeah we're going to be going live the monday after the gig". But I know that's not really the same as a festival.

And guys share the link! we have 5 fans on FB. and I think all but one of them are us. haha

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Four Banger posted:

I used it to get into the Cancer bats/Iron giant gig and there wasn't even content on the .com yet. I just said "yeah we're going to be going live the monday after the gig". But I know that's not really the same as a festival.

And guys share the link! we have 5 fans on FB. and I think all but one of them are us. haha

Yea, I've got some hardcore pictures going up this week, and a staff post about what music we've been listening too this month (IF YOU WANT IN ON THAT EMAIL ME (BSemisch(At)Gmail.com). If you want a staff page I can put something together real quick, I'll probably just list names and locations. Also I'm gonna put up a contact info page.

As far as the facebook page goes I'm waiting on some kind of logo, which I might just use a generic font for now to have a picture. After that I'll go nuts sharing it.

Lastly, do I think it's big enough yet? I put up a google analytic thinger yesterday and since then we've had 40 hits (mostly to the album review by Rock, then my album review then the Bang Bang Boss Kelly Shots). I think if you wait till Rock's Ozzfest post hits it should lend us enough creditability to get in.

Off the SS stuff I have a question. I realized at the show I shot tonight that I need a wide angle. The Kit lens works with flash kinda, but I'm not fond of using it. I'm shooting on a Rebel XSI now and I'm looking to upgrade to a 7D at the end of the year, so the question is, should I go for the Tamron 2.8 17-55 or look for a fisheye or 10mm lens? The 17-55 is about $200 cheaper, and the Fisheye kinda seems like a novelty. Any thoughts?

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 2, 2010

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

AtomicManiac posted:

Yea, I've got some hardcore pictures going up this week, and a staff post about what music we've been listening too this month (IF YOU WANT IN ON THAT EMAIL ME (BSemisch(At)Gmail.com). If you want a staff page I can put something together real quick, I'll probably just list names and locations. Also I'm gonna put up a contact info page.

As far as the facebook page goes I'm waiting on some kind of logo, which I might just use a generic font for now to have a picture. After that I'll go nuts sharing it.

Lastly, do I think it's big enough yet? I put up a google analytic thinger yesterday and since then we've had 40 hits (mostly to the album review by Rock, then my album review then the Bang Bang Boss Kelly Shots). I think if you wait till Rock's Ozzfest post hits it should lend us enough creditability to get in.

Off the SS stuff I have a question. I realized at the show I shot tonight that I need a wide angle. The Kit lens works with flash kinda, but I'm not fond of using it. I'm shooting on a Rebel XSI now and I'm looking to upgrade to a 7D at the end of the year, so the question is, should I go for the Tamron 2.8 17-55 or look for a fisheye or 10mm lens? The 17-55 is about $200 cheaper, and the Fisheye kinda seems like a novelty. Any thoughts?
If you want a wide angle why not something like the Tokina 11-16 f2.8?
http://www.photoprice.ca/product/02537/Tokina-AT-X-116-PRO-DX-11-16mm-f2.8-for-Canon-price.html

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Four Banger posted:

If you want a wide angle why not something like the Tokina 11-16 f2.8?
http://www.photoprice.ca/product/02537/Tokina-AT-X-116-PRO-DX-11-16mm-f2.8-for-Canon-price.html

The 11-16 is awesome largely in two situations:

1) in a cramped venue when you're shooting from the front of the stage

2) for shots of the entire band at once

Other than that, it's not a lens you're going to use as much as, say, a 17-50 or even something like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

The beauty of the 17-50 is that you can shoot wide but if you suddenly have to focus on one musician, you can do it instantly. With the 11-16, you really have to think ahead before you use it because if you need to go longer, you have to switch lenses since the zoom range is so narrow.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

HPL posted:

The 11-16 is awesome largely in two situations:

1) in a cramped venue when you're shooting from the front of the stage

2) for shots of the entire band at once

Other than that, it's not a lens you're going to use as much as, say, a 17-50 or even something like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

The beauty of the 17-50 is that you can shoot wide but if you suddenly have to focus on one musician, you can do it instantly. With the 11-16, you really have to think ahead before you use it because if you need to go longer, you have to switch lenses since the zoom range is so narrow.

Most of my shooting is in a fairly cramped venue without too many angles for shooting. There's 2 places in town with balconies, but one won't let you shoot up there, and the other requires photo passes to walk in with a camera, and since I don't have a 70-200 I'd pretty much be down after my 3 songs anyway.

That said, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is my go-to lens 99% of the time, but it only really shoot from the waist up, or if I shoot landscape then I can get some decent shots. I'm torn on the 17-50 since I know I'll use it, and it'll probably become my go-to since it'd be nice to have a zoom where I don't need to fiddle with the flash levels, and I normally shoot at 2.0-2.8 anyway. However, I feel like I should buy something new to expand what I can do before I upgrade. Of course with money being tight and a $1,500 body purchase coming up, the 17-50 makes way more sense for the time being...

I think I'm going to go with the 17-50 for now, It'll get more use, since the Super-wides usually shoot at higher F stops, and that'll be a lot easier to use once I get a bigger sensor and higher ISO capability with the 7D.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 2, 2010

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Righto, sent my request for accreditation out. It's for Parklife: https://www.parklife.com.au - Dandy Warhols, Missy Elliot, The Wombats. Pretty rad festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Most of my shots are taken with my Sigma 20mm f1.8 or my Canon 50mm f1.8. I have a Sigma 24-60 f2.8, but I usually only use it when the lighting is really good. I prefer shooting primes whenever I can really, but that goes for all shooting, not just concerts.

The Sigma 30 f1.4 is definitely on my radar. I've rented the 35L and it's possibly my favorite lens that I've ever used.