Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Wow, that thing does not look like it is worth 100 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Flavor Bear posted:

Neither does this, even with 150 more pieces.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8404-1

I love the original big fuckoff jetliner, which apparently cost only $40 in 2007-8! $40 now gets your this comparatively puny thing.

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=3181&cn=339&d=9

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

May Contain Nuts posted:

Dug out my bricks after 3 years and decided to make an 8x8.

It was an easy decision once I found the monkeys. I forgot how much fun this is.

The monolith is 1:4:9

This looks at least 10 bricks high :colbert: :goonsay:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

lDDQD posted:

would you be so kind as to post a picture of one? I'm a huge noob...

Of course, here's some examples:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=hinge+brick+locking
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=hinge+plate+locking

I've always called them click-bricks, but after trying to find them I've learned Bricklink calls them 'locking' pieces. Basically they replaced the old, non-locking hinges.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
The old hinges may not have held up as well, but I definitely liked them better.
I just like a nice fluid joint instead of a herky-jerky one.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Is it just me or does the new Lego pieces seem to be made of a flimsier plastic than the old ones?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I think they are too. Click joints, for example, can be a bit thin sometimes.
Like, hold them up to a light and it shines through.

I did notice that the click joints I had this happen with were actually from a set purchased from Wal-Mart.
Maybe LEGO has unfortunately become one of the companies who lower their quality standards to comply with Wal-Mart's insane demands?

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?

Flavor Bear posted:

Its not. Thankfully I got it a bit cheaper, but yeah its not worth it for the parts you get. I'm still smarting from buyers remorse. Thankfully my kids can play with these when they get a bit older. So it kinda justifies these stupid purchases.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElwoodCuse posted:

I love the original big fuckoff jetliner, which apparently cost only $40 in 2007-8! $40 now gets your this comparatively puny thing.

Yeah, I really like 8404 Public Transport, but I'd spend like $75 at most on it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amazon has 21005 fallingwater for $70, and it's going on bricklink for like $90 with like one sold a month. Do I invest?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

They had this on display at my local TRU. I wish the bus was sold separately. It's a really good model.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Amazon has 21005 fallingwater for $70, and it's going on bricklink for like $90 with like one sold a month. Do I invest?
I don't think it's really an investment kind of set.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

They had this on display at my local TRU. I wish the bus was sold separately. It's a really good model.

There's a bus kind of like that in the City Corner set. It tends to fall apart too easily for my liking.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheMadMilkman posted:

You can get the pieces for the bus off bricklink for like $35. The only expensive pieces are the trans-black windows.

Here's an .lxf for the bus. I changed the back a little because LDD doesn't have the piece that the set uses for the rear bumper.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Working on designing a modular city block. Here's my first attempt at the first story of an apartments-over-retail thing with apartments over a coffee shop:

Click here for the full 1689x1067 image.

e: I haven't bothered rotating all those trees/bushes/whatever properly, but that would be done.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 29, 2010

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The LDD has a distinct lack of the cool windshields and cockpit covers I remember. How am I supposed to remake my Super Sonic Space Plane? :argh:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Super Waffle posted:

The LDD has a distinct lack of the cool windshields and cockpit covers I remember. How am I supposed to remake my Super Sonic Space Plane? :argh:

Yeah, looks like even Universe Mode doesn't have anything that used the old-style hinges. Only click-hinges are in there.
I bitched about missing key classic pieces earlier on, when I was re-creating the Mega Core Magnetizer.

Made a trip to the Bellevue Lego store today. Said they were getting the minifigs on the 1st, but the guy wasn't sure about what sort of limits they'd have.
Picked up the City and Castle Advent Calenders. $35 each, which was a bit spendy, especially since the City one has fewer than 300 pieces, and Castle fewer than 200. Castle at least has 9 minifigs.

Lots of people in the store at 11am, and drat near everyone was getting a Lego game. Looks like they're getting popular.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Pyroclastic posted:

Lots of people in the store at 11am, and drat near everyone was getting a Lego game. Looks like they're getting popular.

I will most likely be getting creationary when it goes on sale.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Made a run to the Orlando Imagination Center today and came home with 15 of the 16 figs from Series 2 (missing the witch) and the Motorized Walking AT-AT.

Spent a solid 4 hours putting it together this afternoon, and I'm really impressed.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's torn between the motorized version and the new one. The additional $20 you pay is totally worth it for the 300+ additional pieces and the power functions parts.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug
The local TRU had lots of stuff on sale today. I picked up a galactic enforcer for the equivalent of 40bux (this is in norway, mind you).

drat near got a nostalgia in my eye when I saw the classic space minifig statue.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Glass Joe posted:

The kind that came with this set. Light gray tracks, dark gray ties.

Sorry for the delayed response. The track gauge is compatible between all types of Lego Trains. So, if your old battery powered train still works, you could run it on the new track. Transitioning between the two types of track is really difficult though. Not impossible, but a real pain.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I had lots of Star Wars lego sets that are lost to the depths of my cousin's house. I remember having two TIE fighters, but I can only find part of one. I need help identifying the parts missing and a good place I can get them online. Here's what I have of it.

I just wish I knew what happened to my awesome Imperial Shuttle. I just know that's in 50 different boxes in storage at my cousin's. :( Though I was smart enough to keep this bad boy in the box, at least.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

lDDQD posted:

would you be so kind as to post a picture of one? I'm a huge noob...

Hahahaha wow, I lose track of the thread for a couple of days and someone asks about something I made. Here's a closer picture so you can see some of the connections:

click for flickr

The click hinges ratchet naturally in 22.5 degree increments, so you can get a pretty good ring out of them. The big problem (as I discovered in the process) is finding a stable way to connect the structure to anything else, since the design is mostly incompatible with a huge array of connections. I ended up using the arrangement above, which isn't as precise as I'd like, but it theoretically works out.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just saw the flagship Harry Potter set and I must say I am afraid of what that thing is going to cost. 1290 piece, 10 minifig, licensed set. I have no illusions of getting it anyway. I'm hoping people buy the Harry Potter sets like crazy and just stock their bricklink stores with cool colors :3:

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

djfooboo posted:

I just saw the flagship Harry Potter set and I must say I am afraid of what that thing is going to cost. 1290 piece, 10 minifig, licensed set. I have no illusions of getting it anyway. I'm hoping people buy the Harry Potter sets like crazy and just stock their bricklink stores with cool colors :3:

I'm thinking of buying some of the Harry Potter sets for the tan and sand green and hock the minifigs on Bricklink. Might be able to make at least a quarter of the price. I have no need for 20 Harry Potter minifigs.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
What is going on in this video? Clearly it's magnets, but how the hell are they getting the cars to make such tight turns, or move at all?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Goddamn it I bough the Slave1 and new AT-AT in the last month. Top ramen and kimchi again dinner le sigh.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Anyone who missed out on last year's flagship Technic Crane Truck set (8258) it's available again in the LEGO store for what I believe to be its original price of $149.99.

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8258&cn=57&d=70

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

snortpocket posted:

Anyone who missed out on last year's flagship Technic Crane Truck set (8258) it's available again in the LEGO store for what I believe to be its original price of $149.99.

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8258&cn=57&d=70
I picked that up a few months ago, it's pretty sweet.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah, I picked up that jetliner for $30 on sale at Fred Meyer. I'm sorry to say that it was the only set in recent memory that I regret purchasing.

Yep, it's big, and yep, it's fuckoff, but what the hell do you do with the thing once it's built? The only thing you can do is basically build variations on the plane in different lengths.

I think in the previous thread, someone had challenged someone to create something other than a plane with the giant set of wings. They basically made a giant building and used the wings as the roof. When I bought it, I figured that the wings would be separate pieces, but nope - one giant, huge set of wings.

I really, really wish that the tram part of that city transportation set was sold separately. It looks a lot like the MAX here in Portland, and I think my son would poo poo himself. But I can't justify a hundred bucks for that set.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Any recommendations for an eight-year-old's first Really Big Set? It seems like building sets come with more guys, but vehicle sets offer more opportunities for pew-pew action. He doesn't seem to be into any of the licensed lines, but that's not a dealbreaker. Except for the Spongebob sets, those are freaky-looking.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Brickbeard's Bounty? It's hard to go wrong with a pirate ship.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Slashie posted:

Any recommendations for an eight-year-old's first Really Big Set? It seems like building sets come with more guys, but vehicle sets offer more opportunities for pew-pew action. He doesn't seem to be into any of the licensed lines, but that's not a dealbreaker. Except for the Spongebob sets, those are freaky-looking.

I would either go with the City theme or the Creator theme. I cannot recommend Creator more as it one of the best themes out there, price per part and creativity-wise.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

How big is big? 500 pieces? 750? 100? And is he into realistic sets or what?

The Lamborghini Polizia is a really realistic supercar at an awesome price.

What about technic? The Motorbike isn't a huge set but it's got all the right features: shocks on both wheels (i think), and an engine powered by a chain and some gears and stuff. Which is super fun.

Finally, if you're super serious, get him the Space Shuttle. It's ballin.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
The pirate ship comes with a man-eating shark.

So that wins. I'm gonna throw in Kraken Attackin' because it's ten bucks and contains a squid and how else would we keep the shark menace at bay?

Those Creator sets own, though. I may know an adult who'll be getting one of those. You know... ironically. :colbert:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slashie posted:

The pirate ship comes with a man-eating shark.

So that wins. I'm gonna throw in Kraken Attackin' because it's ten bucks and contains a squid and how else would we keep the shark menace at bay?

Those Creator sets own, though. I may know an adult who'll be getting one of those. You know... ironically. :colbert:

Thanks for the suggestions!

These were the first two sets I bought when I got back into LEGOSSSSSSSS recently. Fun builds and the sets compliment each other. Good for kids too as there's nothing overtly complex in Brickbeards ship.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I like that the shark comes with studs on his back. You know, for shark ridin'. :clint:

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
As a nice, relatively easy set to do (and a case of nostalgia, my first LEGO was the Gas Transit), I bought the new gas truck. It's ~200 pieces and about $20.

Has anyone else noticed that TRU has reverse pricing? When a new set comes out, it generally goes for regular LEGO pricing. After a while, it gradually increases in price. For instance, said gas truck. I bought it at TRU for $20. Now, it's $24 at my store. The airport set started out at $100, now it's $105. It's like they're factoring in scarcity to the sets.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slashie posted:

I will never stop recommending getting kids, or anyone really, the classic Space sets(specifically the late 80's early 90's sets). The Mega Core Magnetizer, the Galactic Mediator/Solar Snooper(they go together pretty much), or the Aerial Intruder. The MCM, Galactic Mediator and Solar Snooper are just so huge and awesome, and they're still very affordable too! 90 dollars for a complete used MCM with instructions isn't bad at all considering what some other rare sets go for these days. The Galactic Mediator and Solar Snooper together can be had for under a hundred bucks, and the Aerial Intruder is a mere 30-40. They all come with at least 3 minifigures(edit: except the Aeriel Intruder, that comes with 2), and every single one has at least one small ship that detaches from the main body, too! I realize it's weird suggesting two-decade-old sets, but really, they're classics and pretty much any 8-year-old boy should love the hell out of them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Chris Knight posted:

I picked that up a few months ago, it's pretty sweet.

I did too.. for $260 :sigh: