Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TyChan posted:

Huh. Is the firm not doing well?

Perhaps he does need more focused efforts on getting good cases through his door.

It's more of "My daughter just graduated college and needed a job."

I've got several large cases ($1m+) lined up to settle/go to trial in the next 6 months.

My job is drafting motions and discovery for complicated legal malpractice cases. The other two clerks and the daughter work on car wreck cases. Already starting to gladhand my way other the other legal mal practitioners in town.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

joat mon posted:

A lap dance is so much better when the stripper is paying your salary.

But really, I think stripping should be reserved for graduates, so that Goon Law School can boast 100% post-graduation employment. Also, the Environmental Law prof needs to have a lawn care business on the side for the same purpose.

CHAPTER XXIX. THE UNFORTUNATE TYPES OF WITNESSES
291. The prostitute.-
To be compelled to call this type of witness, for direct examination, is indeed unfortunate, when her reputation is known, for it casts a doubt upon the truth of her statements.
The method of examination and the treatment is the same as an ordinary female, with the following few additions.
It is dangerous to call such a witness for if the opponent should probe her past he will throw doubt upon her veracity, except insofar as it may be corroborated by other witnesses, so the first rule is not to call such a type if you can prove your case by any other means.

e:late 90's song names

What is the information on this book? Name, author, publisher, edition, etc. Because seriously I am going to hit every rare book store offline and on the web until I find a copy.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

joat mon posted:

But make sure you correctly name the job for which you are begging:

Boss called her back, and left a message that she could come interview if she was sure what job it was for. She called back with a honest and humorous mea culpa and came out for an interview. Hired.

There's another spot opening up in a couple months. If anyone wants more info, PM me.

\/\/\/
e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3ePAOUK7U#t=4m19s
no, I'll never get tired of that movie or that clip.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 31, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^
what state?

SWATJester posted:

What is the information on this book? Name, author, publisher, edition, etc. Because seriously I am going to hit every rare book store offline and on the web until I find a copy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0899419763/ref=oss_product

edit: Son of a bitch, there is now a 1927 copy for sale. Canceled 1995 order, now have a 1927 1st edition, woo!
There should be a 1995 copy in stock now.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 31, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SWATJester posted:

nm found several copies on amazon.

There's actually some decent material in it, but the sexism and witness-typing is a special bonus. The lack of outward classism and assumption of meritocratic selection was one of the things that stuck me as unusual for the period.

e: Looking further on Amazon, the 1927 editions are available criminally cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00085HV7M/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 31, 2010

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Purchased. My bookshelf is going to be so loving happy, it's going right next to "As a Gentleman Would Say".

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Buying it for my husband. It can go right next to "The Complete Herbalist" by Dr. O Phelps Brown.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Purchased that loving awesome book.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Interesting...interesting. I'll look into this, thanks.

Though I do wonder if "I'm an accountant for the IRS" is a bigger getting laid repellent than "I'm unemployed"

"I work for the Treasury." If she doesn't understand what it means, go ahead and sleep with her and never call. If she does understand, she's smart enough to figure out that you're actually a lawyer and will dump you 3 weeks later anyway. Best to move on.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008
I'm rejoining the ranks of the employed. Got an in-house gig evaluating patent portfolios and developing IP strategies for a manufacturing company.

Now I get to spend the time between today and my start date drunk off my rear end, in my underwear, playing Xbox.

Unfortunately, I'll have to actually show up to work after that.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

OptimistPrime posted:

Laptop + Civ 5. Problem solved.

e: congrats, too.

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
Choice time.

I'm a soon to be lawyer in France, passed the bar last year and I have to choose between two law firms for my final internship (6 months). Traditionally, after the final 6 months internship if you've worked hard and they like you, you get a job offer and you can become lawyer. (you can only really become a lawyer if you have "prêté serment" (sweared in), and you need a job for that.

I have been doing a lot of interviews, and two firms offered me for the final internship.

The legal market being what it is (even if its not as bad in France as in the US), I don't know which to choose.

Both are really good firms, well known and respected in tax law. They pay approximately the same for a 1st year associate (around 40k euros/year)and the same for the final internship (2k/mo). However they are really different.

http://www.legal500.com/c/france/tax

1/ CMS bureau francis lefebvre. The only French law firm that has succeeded in the tax law field. It is generally considered as the n°1 tax law firm in Paris, and it is the biggest (about 300 lawyers). People there are known for being very good technicians, seeking life balance, and not working too much (9am- 8pm). The interview there was incredible and I loved them. They were really interested in my personality, my life beside work, insisted about how they seek people who will fit in their teams rather than workaholics.

2/ The second one Arsene Taxand, is a young, very aggressive and ambitious law firm. It was created in 2004 by ex Andersen partners, and is now the n°2 in Paris. They went from 10 to 70 people in 6 years, they told me that they offered their 4 interns last year, and that they will probably do the same next year (that's me !)
The interview sucked rear end, I was asked a lot of technical questions, they didnt give a drat about me or my life or even tried to seem remotely nice. They basically told me that they expect 120% dedication from their intern. I know one of the interns who got offered this year and he tells me that he generally works until 11pm regularly.

I've done a first internship this year at Ernst & Young and it sucked. The people were hollow shells, extremely bitter, tired all the time, kept talking about how their life sucked, work sucked etc. And I fear that if I accept n°2 firm, it will be exactly the same. I know that I will have a far better time at firm n°1.

I really don't know what to do. Any advice, anybody ?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Macnigore posted:

Choice time.

Is there a reason you're considering firm #2 that you didn't tell us?

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
I need a job !

While I know for sure that n°2 is pretty much throwing jobs to interns because the firm is growing so much, I don't have any info about n°1, which a much more "mature" firm, and hence might not offer interns as much.

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 1, 2010

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Macnigore posted:

While I know for sure that n°2 is pretty much throwing jobs to interns, I don't have any info about n°1, which a much more "mature" firm, and hence might not offer interns as much

Sounds like you need to get some hiring info about firm #1. If they're much older and much larger, this shouldn't be hard to find. But yeah, unless you're withholding something huge, this doesn't really seem like a very difficult choice.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Porte No. 1, espece de noob

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

OptimistPrime posted:

I'm rejoining the ranks of the employed. Got an in-house gig evaluating patent portfolios and developing IP strategies for a manufacturing company.

Now I get to spend the time between today and my start date drunk off my rear end, in my underwear, playing Xbox.

Congrats dude. Sounds like an interesting gig.

I had my patent lit lateral interview yesterday. I think it went well.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Macnigore posted:

1/ CMS bureau francis lefebvre. The only French law firm that has succeeded in the tax law field. It is generally considered as the n°1 tax law firm in Paris, and it is the biggest (about 300 lawyers). People there are known for being very good technicians, seeking life balance, and not working too much (9am- 8pm). The interview there was incredible and I loved them. They were really interested in my personality, my life beside work, insisted about how they seek people who will fit in their teams rather than workaholics.

2/ The second one Arsene Taxand, is a young, very aggressive and ambitious law firm. It was created in 2004 by ex Andersen partners, and is now the n°2 in Paris. They went from 10 to 70 people in 6 years, they told me that they offered their 4 interns last year, and that they will probably do the same next year (that's me !)
The interview sucked rear end, I was asked a lot of technical questions, they didnt give a drat about me or my life or even tried to seem remotely nice. They basically told me that they expect 120% dedication from their intern. I know one of the interns who got offered this year and he tells me that he generally works until 11pm regularly.

I've done a first internship this year at Ernst & Young and it sucked. The people were hollow shells, extremely bitter, tired all the time, kept talking about how their life sucked, work sucked etc. And I fear that if I accept n°2 firm, it will be exactly the same. I know that I will have a far better time at firm n°1.

Uh...I'm lost; what's actually in favor of the #2? The fact that they're expanding suspiciously/potentially dangerously quickly?

I mean, quick Pro/Con:
CMS bureau francis lefebvre:
Pros: Top firm in field; life balance; not workaholics; ***PEOPLE YOU LIKE***;
Cons: ???

Arsene Taxand:
Pros: Increased sevenfold in six years (Calling this a pro, I find fast growth like that suspicious though); intimations of definite job
Cons: Not top firm; workaholics; hollow shells; alcoholism (may be a pro depending on you); partners will build a successful firm on the withered husk that is the body of you and your cohorts before turning you away (Guessing on that last part, what I know about French law firms could be written...well, in this post)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Macnigore posted:

Choice time.

I'm a soon to be lawyer in France, passed the bar last year and I have to choose between two law firms for my final internship (6 months). Traditionally, after the final 6 months internship if you've worked hard and they like you, you get a job offer and you can become lawyer. (you can only really become a lawyer if you have "prêté serment" (sweared in), and you need a job for that.

How long was school? Does a certain year of grades matter more than others or do the firms that actually offer this final internship-to-hiring track look at cumulative GPA? Did law school feel like a pressure cooker?

I suppose I could look this up through Wikipedia on my own, but I'd like to hear this from an actual French avocat.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Me too. Snagged one of the first editions.

Hope they have tips for cross-examining The Adultress.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

OptimistPrime posted:

Now I get to spend the time between today and my start date drunk off my rear end,

CHAPTER XXIX. THE UNFORTUNATE TYPES OF WITNESSES
284. The drug addict.-
The witness who is the victim of a drug habit frequently is found to be well educated, refined and with a good reputation, able to conceal his habit and his condition.
The person addicted to the use of drugs, by his appearance shows a lack of veracity, makes strange statements, will make contradictions after an extended examination, stating something entirely different from that which he has previously stated. He seems to lose track of his connected thoughts. His thoughts, and especially his memory, are very faulty, in that he will forget what he has said a few days before, or even a longer time previous to his examination. He will change his statements many times until one loses patience with him.
A positive, egoistic manner is displayed immediately after the use of a drug, and before its effect wears off. Therefore, on direct examination he should be hurried through his testimony, examined only on important facts that cannot be obtained elsewhere, turned over to the opponent as quickly as possible, that he will have the strength and nerve to withstand the cross-examination.
As his [cross] examination proceeds, the bravado and decline of his vitality is very noticeable. Consider him more as a shrewd insane person, unreliable and untruthful.
What has been said of the drug user is applicable to the inebriate, with the addition that the inebriate is more inclined to be careless about his answer and is not suspicious while the drug user is.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

CHAPTER XVII. THE BOLD TYPES OF WITNESSES
218. The eager.-
The eager witness is in an excited state of desire to attain his object, which is to tell a strong story. He pursues his object, ardently, vehemently and impetuously...His weak traits are, excitement, rash statements, impetuosity, enthusiasm, impatience, partisanship, agitation, anticipation of questions and rapid talk.
Unless the one producing the witness objects and interferes during the cross examination it will not be difficult to belittle the testimony of the eager witness.

Macnigore posted:

Choice time.
Macnigore, I changed from a firm like n°2 to a firm like n°1. It cost me a 1/3 reduction in pay. It was worth every centime.
What is #1's dark secret? What is making your choice so difficult?

[no access to the scanner at this time]
CHAPTER XVIII. THE CAUTIOUS TYPES OF WITNESSES
225. The cautious.-
The careful witness is the type here described. The truthful, honest, and over-cautious type, as distinguished from the lying person... Look for the cause of his trait. He may be guarded in his answers for fear the answer will be used later to his detriment. He may be fearful the cross-examiner will make sport of him and hold him up to ridicule if he is careless in his answers. He may be cautious from his natural prudent habit; he may be discreet for fear of offending by his answers.
The type who fears to be positive in his statements can be stirred through rough treatment, and made to realize that he must not straddle and must be careful in his answers while on the witness stand (See Evasive types of witnesses) After each question he immediately registers doubt that he may not have answered as he should.
An examiner by patience may overcome the timidity and nervousness of this type, and gain his confidence.
[this almost sounds like something from the i ching]

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 1, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Macnigore posted:

Choice time.

I have been doing a lot of interviews, and two firms offered me for the final internship.

The legal market being what it is (even if its not as bad in France as in the US), I don't know which to choose.

Both are really good firms, well known and respected in tax law. They pay approximately the same for a 1st year associate (around 40k euros/year)and the same for the final internship (2k/mo). However they are really different.

http://www.legal500.com/c/france/tax

Pick door #1. All day everyday.
You're not supposed to talk about work-life balance in interviews, which is why I think no one talks about it in law school, but it is, by far, the most important thing.
Also, working for ex-andersen accountants turned lawyers? This sounds like an evil joke.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Mookie posted:

I did not order textbooks for the semester, but I did order this. Also, there's only one left on Amazon now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mookie posted:

How'd you figure out which ones were first editions, I just gave up and ordered the 32 dollar one.

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008

joat mon posted:

I changed from a firm like n°2 to a firm like n°1. It cost me a 1/3 reduction in pay. It was worth every centime.
What is #1's dark secret? What is making your choice so difficult?

Thanks for the advice. I really don't want to be jobless and dont want to end up with a pleasant internship and no job.

Daico posted:

Uh...I'm lost; what's actually in favor of the #2? The fact that they're expanding suspiciously/potentially dangerously quickly?

I mean, quick Pro/Con:
CMS bureau francis lefebvre:
Pros: Top firm in field; life balance; not workaholics; ***PEOPLE YOU LIKE***;
Cons: ???

Arsene Taxand:
Pros: Increased sevenfold in six years (Calling this a pro, I find fast growth like that suspicious though); intimations of definite job
Cons: Not top firm; workaholics; hollow shells; alcoholism (may be a pro depending on you); partners will build a successful firm on the withered husk that is the body of you and your cohorts before turning you away (Guessing on that last part, what I know about French law firms could be written...well, in this post)

The fast growth is not that suspicious. The funding partners were already partners at Arthur Andersen before its burst, and many of them were star practitioners in France at that time. The firm is successful because they hire only the top of the top, at associate levels as well as partners. Actually they could have grown much more from what I've heard.

A pro at Arsene would be that if they hire me there are tremendous career opportunities there, while careers are much more slower at CMS bureau francis lefebvre.

TyChan posted:

How long was school? Does a certain year of grades matter more than others or do the firms that actually offer this final internship-to-hiring track look at cumulative GPA? Did law school feel like a pressure cooker?

I suppose I could look this up through Wikipedia on my own, but I'd like to hear this from an actual French avocat.

Law studies in France are very different than in the US. There is a "law university", which offers much broader career opportunities than lawschools in the US.

Law university starts right after high school and lasts 5 years. There is no entry test whatsoever, anybody can attend, and its publicly funded, so the school fees are 250 Euros/year max.

The first 4 years are generally pretty broad. There are two classical paths Public law (Constitutional law, administrative law, environment, public contracts, etc) and private law (contracts, business law etc). But by 5th year you are expected to pick at least one specialization field (tax law, contracts, property law, PI, anything really).

Because there is no entry test, the selection takes place during the 5 years. The dropout rate is huge the first 2 years. (25-35% pass rate after 1st year finals, then 25-35% again after 2nd year finals.

My 1st year at law university (fac de droit) we were more than 800, we were 150 at the beginning of 3rd year.

3rd year is pretty casual. By then you are familiar with law university mechanisms, and anybody in 3rd year will usually manage to get at least a 10/20 average necessary to go to 4th year.

What happens during 3rd and 4th year is subtle. You are not brutally weeded out through pass/fail finals (you usually manage to get at least passing grades), but you have to prepare for the 5th year selection.

In order to study your specialty during 5th year you have to get in a "Master 2". Its a one year program with 10 to 40 students. Every law university has loads of Master 2 programs, and every 4th year student will find a Master 2. However the best ones are extremely competitive. A decent cumulative GPA is appreciated, but average grades during the first two years will not automatically be held against you. Work experience is also appreciated (unpaid internships during summer breaks), as well as an overall cursus coherence (you better have studied tax law if you want to get in a Tax law Master 2). What matters most is your grades during 3rd and (more importantly) 4th year.

My master 2 was in the top 3 in tax law. There were around 500 applicants, and they picked 40.

There is a lot of pressure during the whole process, and even if you managed to get a good Master 2 you're not done.

After your master 2 you can then choose your career:

- Judge exam (you need a Master 2 to take it) ==> pass rate is 5% due to numerus clausus
- Lawyer exam (you need a 4th year at law univ to take it)==> pass rate is 20-30%
- Notary exam, I dont know the pass rate but its pretty low due to a numerus clausus
- Repo exam : numerus clausus as well
- Tax auditor exam: numerus clausus
- You can start working in a company as a "juriste", and handle anything law related (business contracts, statutes, tax problems, work contracts and conflicts etc). However, working in a company's legal department is much less stressful than in law firms ==> therefore you have to compete against experienced lawyers who are fed up of working so much, or have been laid off. The legal departments of french companies are filled with ex-lawyers
- A law university background is always appreciated even for non law related jobs. My mother's first job after law university was to sell houses, my girlfriend now works in film production.

Lawyer exam is pretty harsh even though there is no numerus clausus (you need a 10/20 average to pass). The first part is a series of written exams in september, followed by oral exams in november if you have passed the written exams. You know if you've passed in december.

The pass rate is 15-30% depending on where you take it in France. But in paris it's usually pretty low. If you pass you then have to attend Lawyer school for 1 and a half year

- 6 months of practical courses (how to set up a practice, how to file motions, a LOT of practical advices and a LOT of procedure). During that time you can choose to work in a law firm half time if you want. So its either 3 months of full time courses followed by 3 months of full time internship or six months half time of both. Thats when I worked at Ernst & Young.

- 6 months of WHATEVERYOUWANTASLONGASITSNOTALAWFIRM. People usually take that time to work in French companies legal departments, in non profit organization, or they travel abroad for a LLM, etc. You can do whatever really. I am currently interning in the tax law department of a huge french telecom company, and it rocks, I love it.

- 6 months "final internship" in a law firm ==> Its the most important part, since its the traditional way to land your first lawyer job. If you gently caress up and are not offered, it will be frowned upon when you look for a job afterwards. There is no "OCI" like in the US, you pretty much spam any law firm in sight and hope that they will call you for an interview. Law firms being the elitist pricks that they are, look at your grades during law university, which master 2 you attended, and love to ask you obscure technical questions and watch you suffocate as you babble incorrect answers. A lot of my friends at lawyer school struggle to secure final internships because they have had average grades and didnt manage to get a top Master 2 in their specialization field. Everybody usually finds a final internship, however a lot of people are disappointed and have to accept internships in lovely law firms.

- The final lawyer school exam is a joke (99% pass, if you get in, you get out) but you have to study a little bit so law firms usually give you 3 or 4 months after the end of your internship before you start working so you can get done with lawyer school exams and take much needed and deserved vacation.

Congrats you're a french lawyer ! You can now gladly slave for a law firm, get paid an hourly rate slightly above minimum wage and start sucking dicks to get clients.

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 1, 2010

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
1L just started. Highlight quote thus far: "None of you have the energy or the perseverance to fail."

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
gently caress that sounds brutal.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Warszawa posted:

1L just started. Highlight quote thus far: "None of you have the energy or the perseverance to fail."
Wow Yale Law really sucks their students' dicks

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The Warszawa posted:

That's probably true. It might be hard to do well in law school, but law schools really don't get anything out of failing their students so it takes a rather singular determination to not do any of the work or display any of the necessary competence to pass. You might get a bunch of Ds (like a couple of friends of mine did) but you're not going to fail.

The annoying thing is that just passing law school doesn't really help you out much when you're looking for a good job.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TyChan posted:

law schools really don't get anything out of failing their students
Good law schools don't
Bad law schools are pretty notorious for taking students money for 2.5 years and failing the bottom 30% to keep bar stats up.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

The Warszawa posted:

an honest tttoilet school

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

TyChan posted:

That's probably true. It might be hard to do well in law school, but law schools really don't get anything out of failing their students so it takes a rather singular determination to not do any of the work or display any of the necessary competence to pass. You might get a bunch of Ds (like a couple of friends of mine did) but you're not going to fail.

Is that not failing in the states?

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 25, 2012

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is that not failing in the states? At my school here (Canada) if your average was below C+ or C you can't get your degree. Also if you got an F in any of your courses

An F is a failing grade in the US. D- or above is a pass. Generally, there is no GPA requirement, you merely need enough credits to graduate, but any class you got an F in you don't get credit in.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Warszawa posted:

Say hi to Julian for me. He'll be the one loudly declaiming about 4chan and griefers. He's good people.

Petey fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 1, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
FINALLY got a callback, V20 firm. Lets keep this ball rolling, we were doing relly good in this thread with jobs a few weeks ago.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Haven't grasped the application behind the concept of "thinking like a lawyer" by the end of week 1 of 1L. Am apparently not that special snowflake that my mom told me I was.

Failed to live up to "don't drink except on weekends" twice already. Pamphlet explaining rampant alcohol abuse handed out at beginning of classes was funny(ironic?).

Professor started today's class with "The good majority of you aren't going to be able to get a firm job. I hope you know what kind of lawyer you want to be." ABL was used as citation. Class' optimism plummeted like a brick. This thread had steeled me against such things as "realistic outcasts" of employment opportunities. International environmental human rights lawyer, in the making.

For what it's worth, I do enjoy pie.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Green Crayons posted:

Haven't grasped the application behind the concept of "thinking like a lawyer" by the end of week 1 of 1L. Am apparently not that special snowflake that my mom told me I was.

The only thing worse than the "thinking like a lawyer" meme is the idea that it will just "click" sometime during your first year.

Hang in there though..... you'll get to a point where you can ignore most of the BS and can treat it like undergrad.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Green Crayons posted:

Failed to live up to "don't drink except on weekends" twice already. Pamphlet explaining rampant alcohol abuse handed out at beginning of classes was funny(ironic?).

Professor started today's class with "The good majority of you aren't going to be able to get a firm job. I hope you know what kind of lawyer you want to be." ABL was used as citation. Class' optimism plummeted like a brick. This thread had steeled me against such things as "realistic outcasts" of employment opportunities. International environmental human rights lawyer, in the making.

For what it's worth, I do enjoy pie.

Where are you going again?

Also, you will get 'thinking like a lawyer' and 'clicking' soon. It's mainly the realization that school is a waste of time. Everything of value will be learned during the summer.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JudicialRestraints posted:

Also, you will get 'thinking like a lawyer' and 'clicking' soon. It's mainly the realization that school is a waste of time. Everything of value will be learned during the summer.

Yep. Realize that the whole socratic method of learning is loving bullshit past the first semester, that you'll know how to read a case by the end of your first year, and that the entire third year of schooling is completely and utterly unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

CaptainScraps posted:

Yep. Realize that the whole socratic method of learning is loving bullshit past the first semester, that you'll know how to read a case by the end of your first year, and that the entire third year of schooling is completely and utterly unnecessary.

Jesus I wish they had separate classes for 3Ls that cut the bullshit...my professors in both Evidence and Decedents & Estates persist with this "let's take a slow pass through the ENTIRE case" poo poo and its just painful. Decedents is 95% 3Ls too, let's be honest its not a class you jump to when you get to pick classes for the first time.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that the professor still solicits public-policy debate or the fact that there are still 3Ls with a gunner mentality that actually engage in it.