Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Adri posted:

I thought for the CEP they would let you know if you got referred or not and that it would take awhile to get back to everyone (to give them till November). At least my email said something similar to that.

Heres what all of mine said:

quote:

Within 5 weeks, we will notify you regarding whether you are being referred to the hiring officials or not. We will notify everyone regardless of whether they are being referred or not.

If you are referred to a hiring official, the hiring officials will contact you for an interview. Your name will remain on a certificate of eligibles that they can make selections from at any time between August and November. Once we reach that point in the process, I will give more information to those who are being referred to hiring managers.

Received these emails on July 25th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Yeah, that's what mine said too.

So anyone else sack up and apply for Detroit? :whatup:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So anyone else sack up and apply for Detroit? :whatup:

I live next to Detroit, so yes. You guys probably ruined the odds for me. :colbert:

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Sirotan posted:

The US govt. is usually really good about doing stuff on time.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Omits-Bagels posted:

The US govt. is usually really good about doing stuff on time.

literally laughed out loud at this

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I just started applying for some USA Jobs and some of the applications require me to go through https://www.avuecentral.com. Is this a reputable site? For a couple of jobs, the popup link for the website didn't go through, so I'm assuming I'll have to reapply for the jobs?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Okay, I need some help. I needed to get a medical evaluation for a Federal job, and got a letter in the mail. It turns out that I need to get, at my own expense, a physician to examine me and sign off on forms for 3 separate conditions that don't impact my ability do perform the job at all. They are:

1.Mild Hypertension

2.A minor psychological disorder I was diagnosed with as a kid. I do not need medication for this and I have managed it fine without treatment or therapy for more than 10 years.

3.Migraine headaches that I can control with OTC pain reliever.

Again, none of these things affect my ability to fulfill the functions of the position, and the fact I will have to pay a significant cost (I don't currently have health insurance) to get a physician to formally diagnose me with these conditions, write up a 'treatment plan', and fill out all the forms strikes me as wrong. Also, the Paperwork Reduction Act statements on the forms state that the reporting burden is only 5 minutes per form, when each of the 3 issues will probably take at least 30 minutes of physician time to fill out, with the mental health one taking close to an hour, not to mention the time scheduling the appointments and sitting in waiting rooms.

Is there anyone I can/should complain to over this? I'm thinking of writing the Ombudsman of my agency, but I'm wondering what other steps I should take.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Can? Probably. Should? Probably not. Why at your own expense though, or is that typical for everyone else but State?

Adri
Jan 2, 2007
I got taco all over my pants!

Sirotan posted:

Yea, the whole "referred or not", and I took that as from the close date from the questionnaire that had to be submitted 2 weeks from the email sent then. Not like I'm holding my breath either way.

I've been applying for other things, I actually got referred for a position 2 days after I applied instead of a week! So that must be a good sign.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

As an impending graduate with a master's degree (M Ed, in instructional technology) are there any particular departments or keywords I should look for? I don't mind teaching possibly but I can also do instructional development, distance education management (once I'm done with the classes anyway (I hope)), software training, other training-related things... I saw an IRS position which was basically 'my degree plus five years of experience', and I'm wondering if that means there's much entry level work.

Thanks!

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick
Apparently the Best Places to Work survey for this year is out. Not a whole lot of things have changed other than the inclusion of a few agencies not included previously. I find it to be a helpful guide even though I decided to work for a low-ranked agency (I haven't started yet).

http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/rankings/

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Villain's Mask posted:

Apparently the Best Places to Work survey for this year is out. Not a whole lot of things have changed other than the inclusion of a few agencies not included previously. I find it to be a helpful guide even though I decided to work for a low-ranked agency (I haven't started yet).

http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/rankings/

Wow, TSA is #220 out of 224 under Agency Subcomponents. I guess that was a bad choice on my part.

Gilyon
Mar 4, 2010
I hate usajobs so much. It seems like every single job that's not janitorial either requires you to have a masters degree, or have already worked for the federal government before.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gilyon posted:

I hate usajobs so much. It seems like every single job that's not janitorial either requires you to have a masters degree, or have already worked for the federal government before.

Can't work for the government if you don't have a government job, can't have a government job if you don't work for the government.

Best catch there is.

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick

Eddain posted:

Wow, TSA is #220 out of 224 under Agency Subcomponents. I guess that was a bad choice on my part.

DHS and its subcomponents are always right near the bottom of the rankings. I'm going to be doing a career internship there so I don't know which subcomponent I'll end up in when the three years are up. At this point I think I have a better idea of where I don't want to go than where I do.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

Can't work for the government if you don't have a government job, can't have a government job if you don't work for the government.

Best catch there is.

I did an internship for the State Department as a Staff Assistant and was able to do the job easily but apparently I don't qualify for any Staff Assistant jobs in D.C., life is great.

Btw, a friend of mine now working for State could not find a government job forever so she basically did about 4-5 internships equal to a whole year and thus cover for the usual "1 year of federal experience" that is required on a lot of entry level jobs.

Greed fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 2, 2010

a bear
Oct 25, 2004
a bear is strong
I have a degree in video production. I'm not ready to head out to the LA/NY area yet. I'm in Maryland and can get a job in DC.

What kind of federal job could I get if I have this degree if any?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

a bear posted:

I have a degree in video production. I'm not ready to head out to the LA/NY area yet. I'm in Maryland and can get a job in DC.

What kind of federal job could I get if I have this degree if any?

I've seen a number of positions for video people (saved search: photographer), especially with military public affairs offices. They all want experience, so hopefully you have that.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Question: I can get into a volunteer position with a County PD. They basically want to conduct a background investigation that will take many months. I don't want to make them conduct the investigation since I will basically be taking whatever is thrown at me before I get to start volunteering for them. Basically I hate being an rear end in a top hat, wouldn't want them to waste their time but who knows if anything will even happen by the time I get to start with them.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Question: I can get into a volunteer position with a County PD. They basically want to conduct a background investigation that will take many months. I don't want to make them conduct the investigation since I will basically be taking whatever is thrown at me before I get to start volunteering for them. Basically I hate being an rear end in a top hat, wouldn't want them to waste their time but who knows if anything will even happen by the time I get to start with them.

I didn't see a question there :confused:

I'd just level with them about it; say you'd really like to do it but are looking for jobs that may come through for you before they can get the investigation done. They may have some non-sensitive stuff you could do in the meantime, and you never know how long it will take for those gub'ment jobs to work out anyways.

This is a good idea btw, I'm going to look in to doing the same. I've got a clearance with State already so I wonder if that would streamline things?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Are you talking about the Arlington Investigative Internship? If so go for it because it'd be some loving great experience.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tyro posted:

Are you talking about the Arlington Investigative Internship? If so go for it because it'd be some loving great experience.

No, Prince George's County in Maryland. Honestly I am sure that their budget is limited, but as far as the "gently caress you got mine" mentality I want to be able to prove that I am worth a drat to somebody.

Basically the guy said that at this point it wouldnt begin until early 2011. I don't know if I will be here or not.

On the one hand, if it came to where I needed the experience, it'd be great, but if I didn't, I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Got all excited a bit ago because I got some emails about the CEP vacancies I applied too. It was just the results of the assessment that I decided to re-take. I'm glad I did too. At the time I had a score of 93, and if you re-take it the new score will wipe out your old one, good or bad. Well, now I've got a 97!! :toot:

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
So ah, what's a good score on that there assessment?

Oh, I get it. Scrolled back a bit, 95. Cool.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Just received my notice of results via e-mail. Where is the assessment score announced? Is that the 'rating?'

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MothraAttack posted:

Just received my notice of results via e-mail. Where is the assessment score announced? Is that the 'rating?'

Yup.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Any consensus about what the minimum acceptable score is?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
What exactly happens after I get an email like this?

quote:

Eligibility Expires: October 2010

Specialty Code: 001

Specialty Title: DE

Grade: 05

Rating: EL

Rating Code Rating Message

EL You are eligible for this specialty and grade.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL MESSAGE. IT IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED.

For additional information, please refer to the vacancy announcement for this position.
Is there an interview or something, this email isn't very helpful.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Pram posted:

What exactly happens after I get an email like this?

Is there an interview or something, this email isn't very helpful.
It's rather meaningless, assuming you already knew you were qualified for the position.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
All right, rating of 105. Thank you, Army. :911: Assuming we should be hearing from these hiring managers sometime soon.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Haven't received my scores back. But since I was being honest with the occupational questionnaire, I am sure I am screwed. Oh wells.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
Doesn't seem like theres a lot of info on getting into the intelligence community floating around here, but I thought I might ask. Any goons in that area or anybody know what to look into for it? I'm a Political Science/International Relations student looking to get into political, military, or intelligence analysis kind of positions when I graduate about a year and a half down the road. is this something I should look into military service first, or can I reasonably expect to be able to get into work for this with my degree? An old friend of mine served in the Air Force as an enlisted analysis and many of his friends and co workers graduated and went straight into jobs with the CIA and NSA, so that kinda got me thinking about that or looking into OCS from the military goons thread. Thanks for any info you guys have, as I get loser and closer to graduating, I get more and more nervous about what the hell I'm going to do after school.

Tesoro
Nov 18, 2004
ohmygod
Hey guys,

I'm a patent examiner at the USPTO. If you have any questions I'll try and respond.

Joshie
Oct 29, 2001

MAYOR OF PIGTOWN

Opals25 posted:

Doesn't seem like theres a lot of info on getting into the intelligence community floating around here, but I thought I might ask. Any goons in that area or anybody know what to look into for it?

http://www.boozallen.com/careers/student-center

http://www.northropgrumman.com/careers/index.html

http://www.l-3com.com/careers/interns.aspx

I do not work for any of these companies, but I provide their contractors the computers they use to do whatever it is intel nerds do!

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Joshie posted:

I do not work for any of these companies, but I provide their contractors the computers they use to do whatever it is intel nerds do!

The biggest thing is there all (obviously) private companies that get contracted into the work. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but they all still require a security clearance for the type of work. If the company wants to offer you a job they need to sponsor your attempt to get a clearance before you can actually do any work which means waiting maybe a year or more with this employee in limbo where at the end of the line if things go badly they may not get to hire you anyways. Its a drawn out process that is avoided by just hiring someone who already has a clearance. Thats how I've always heard it tends to go anyways.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tesoro posted:

Hey guys,

I'm a patent examiner at the USPTO. If you have any questions I'll try and respond.

Woohoo!

#1 - How do you like it? :)
#2 - One of the complaints I see about the USPTO in discussions of different agencies is 'poor work-life balance'. This, meanwhile, is constantly one of your recruiters' talking points (that you have a great balance). Where does the truth fall?
#3 - How's the work autonomy?
#4 - Could you give any information on the promotional or advancement potential within the department? How long, for example, does it take for someone to advance a grade assuming they aren't miserable failures at their work, and also assuming that they're not on one of the accelerated promotional incentives?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Opals25 posted:

The biggest thing is there all (obviously) private companies that get contracted into the work. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but they all still require a security clearance for the type of work. If the company wants to offer you a job they need to sponsor your attempt to get a clearance before you can actually do any work which means waiting maybe a year or more with this employee in limbo where at the end of the line if things go badly they may not get to hire you anyways. Its a drawn out process that is avoided by just hiring someone who already has a clearance. Thats how I've always heard it tends to go anyways.

I'm not sure how drawn out it is, isn't. I've had friends with clearances go directly into a contracting job, and it still takes 5-6 months for them to have their clearance brought over. It probably still is a hell of a lot cheaper though.

Question for anyone who knows. Is it seriously common to have GS-9 positions require Master Degrees?

Substitutable education for GS-09 positions: A master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D., if related. Qualifying education must be in a major area of study in computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering, or course work that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems and provided knowledge equivalent to a major in the computer field.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TLG James posted:

Question for anyone who knows. Is it seriously common to have GS-9 positions require Master Degrees?

Yes, GS-9 positions are basically for those with directly related work experience. A Master's is the way to be considered in lieu of experience, which is one reason I'm in grad school right now.

Tesoro
Nov 18, 2004
ohmygod

Sundae posted:

Woohoo!

#2 - One of the complaints I see about the USPTO in discussions of different agencies is 'poor work-life balance'. This, meanwhile, is constantly one of your recruiters' talking points (that you have a great balance). Where does the truth fall?
#4 - Could you give any information on the promotional or advancement potential within the department? How long, for example, does it take for someone to advance a grade assuming they aren't miserable failures at their work, and also assuming that they're not on one of the accelerated promotional incentives?

Sundae posted:

Woohoo!

I'll answer your questions out of order since it makes the most sense that way.

Advancement/promotion potential-

Promotions are non-competitive to GS-14. Examiners typically enter at GS-5, GS-7 or GS-9 depending on grades and level of education.

An examiner is entitled to two, six-month accelerated promotions, unless/until he hits GS-11. Non-accelerated promotions can be earned yearly.
Promotions to GS-12 depend solely on two factors: 1) residency requirements (has 1 year passed?) and 2) production requirements (have you produced the threshold requirement for the promotion? This is typically ~108% of what you're typically expected to do). Advancing beyond GS-12 requires other factors to be satisfied (pass an exam, go through rigorous training, etc) and may take longer than a year depending on how long it takes one to satisfy the additional criteria.

Work/Life Balance-

This is entirely dependent on how good you are at your job. I personally have no trouble balancing work and a robust life. When I worked at headquarters, I was fully able to balance going to the gym mid-day, taking long lunch breaks, going to happy hours, dating, enjoying my weekends away from the office, playing lots of sports, etc. Even during my first year I took multiple multi-week vacations.

A lot of what enables one to do this is flexibility in scheduling. Once you're beyond training, you can literally take the 80 hours you owe the office every pay period and spread it however you like. This means you can, if you please, work 12 hour/day Mon-Sat, come in and work 8 hours on the following Monday, and go to Guam Tues-Sun. Hell, you could go to Guam that tues through the following Friday, and then do 12 hour days Sat - Fri of the following pay-period to fullfill your work obligations. The flexibility means you can take a TON of vacations without using any or much of your annual leave hours.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the same experience I do. Some of my colleagues literally use their accrued vacation hours so that they are not held accountable for production, and then go to the office to work during their "vacation" to catch up on their work. I find that there is a definitive split, where people tend to either "get it" and have a super easy time, or "dont get it" and suffer. There are very few people in between.

One more note - I was recently authorized to work remotely. I have since moved away from headquarters in VA. I now work from home and my flexibility has only improved. I now have time to go to law school at night, spend time with my girlfriend, go to concerts, etc. If you perform very well you can get authorized to work remotely after you work at HQ for two years.

Autonomy -

This depends on you and your supervisor. If your supervisor trusts you, you are autonomous. I feel that I am about 95% autonomous, and rarely have to do more than touch base with my supervisor every few weeks. If you're struggling to meet your quota, you will be far from autonomous and constantly under watchful eyes.

Do I like it? -

Yup. I love it. The flexibility is insane. The pay is insane. We get souped up locality pay to stay competitive with the engineering market. Beyond that, there are up to 10% merit bonuses available, as well as paid overtime up to 50 hours per two-week pay period. If you take advantage of everything, even if you're very low on the pay grade scale you can easily clear $100,000 in your second year of work.

There is one downside. The work quickly becomes redundant and formulaic. This obviously improves efficiency, but makes it rather boring. You can become so specialized that at a point every invention looks the same. I'm alright with this for two reasons - 1) Every job right up to lawyering and doctoring is going to result in a similar end, and 2) the flexibility outweighs the redundantness.

Hope I answered everything you wanted. Fire away if anyone wants to know anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Tyro posted:

Yes, GS-9 positions are basically for those with directly related work experience. A Master's is the way to be considered in lieu of experience, which is one reason I'm in grad school right now.

So if I'm a Veteran with ~8 years of experience in releated fields with a BS degree I should be fine applying?