Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Leipold looked at the records in more than 75,000 federal criminal trials from 1989 through 2002. In about three-quarters of the cases, defendants chose to have a jury rather than a judge decide the outcome, as is their right under the Constitution. This was generally not a smart move. Judges convicted about 55 percent of the time, while the jury conviction rate was a whopping 84 percent.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1484032,00.html#ixzz0y4p2vrr7

If only someone had seen fit to mandate that juries be impartial when judging crimes, maybe put the rule somewhere prominent and even take it out for a spin every now and then...

Instead we have a prosecutor that literally values your livelihood and lifestyle less than taking an extra half hour for lunch. One that will do everything to discredit you and convince the jury you are a bad person.

Add a jury conditioned through mass media that all who are on trial are guilty and the few innocents will always be freed in a surprise twist of events. Not paid a meaningful wage, many have negative incentives to be present and will vote for expediency.

quote:

The results surprised almost all the lawyers — defense attorneys as well as prosecutors ...

A promising one is that since neither side wants to spend a lot of time and money on the many cases involving misdemeanors, or minor crimes, defense lawyers typically request a quick trial before a judge, prosecutors don't bother to prepare thoroughly, and the result is often acquittal. Another possibility is that judges so resented the federal sentencing guidelines, which replaced judicial discretion with strict and frequently harsh rules, that they demanded stronger proof of guilt when the prescribed sentence seemed unfair. Leipold leans to this explanation because judges started to acquit even more often at about the time the guidelines went into effect.

Top two theories from the article:

1. Prosecutors don't do their job (by not preparing), but only on misdemeanors or minor crimes which should generally be the simplest in terms of evidence and preparation time.
2. Judges are refusing to enforce mandatory draconic punishments because they seem immoral.

Well, that's a relief! Good thing it's not 3. Prosecutors select jurors based on perceived ability to influence and control the jurors thoughts and emotions and they are unable to so readily select judges. I don't mean to claim that's the whole picture, but these are soft skills here, it's easy to see how we don't have hard data on comparative gullibility and persuasiveness in our court systems and the conclusion is reasonable. And despicable.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

baquerd posted:

Instead we have a prosecutor that literally values your livelihood and lifestyle less than taking an extra half hour for lunch. One that will do everything to discredit you and convince the jury you are a bad person.
That's kind of the nature of the adversarial system, though. I mean, you can certainly argue that we shouldn't use such a system, but as long as we do, we can't really criticize prosecutors for pushing cases with all possible force, unless they are knowingly prosecuting an innocent man.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

we can't really criticize prosecutors for pushing cases with all possible force, unless they are knowingly prosecuting an innocent man.

http://www.abanet.org/crimjust/spring2003/conviction.html

quote:

Police and prosecutors coerce witnesses and knowingly use false testimony. When this isn't enough, they fabricate evidence. In an analysis of 62 known wrongful convictions, Scheck found that prosecutors suppressed exculpatory evidence in 43 percent of the cases, knowingly used false testimony in 22 percent of the cases, coerced witnesses in 13 percent and fabricated evidence in 3 percent of the cases.

Police suppressed evidence in 36 percent of the cases, fabricated evidence in 9 percent and lied in other ways in 55 percent of the cases.

2 out of 3 times when a conviction goes wrong, it's due to prosecutorial misconduct, frequently overlapping with police misconduct. Self-evident conspiracy, yet where is their jail sentence?

quote:

If our "panel of judges" is correct, this means that the U.S. criminal justice system might be accurate in about 99.5 percent of the cases of felony conviction. That suggests, perhaps, a level of accuracy that might inspire great confidence. However, one’s perspective on the magnitude of the problem might change when one considers the overall volume of cases processed through the U.S. criminal justice system. For example, in the year 2000 there were 2.2 million arrests in the United States for index crimes alone. We also know that about 70 percent of those arrested for felonies are ultimately convicted of either a felony or a misdemeanor. This means that if we assume that the system was 99.5 percent accurate in those cases and made errors in only one-half of 1 percent (0.5 percent) of those convictions, that rate of error would have produced about 7,500 wrongful convictions among those 2.2 million arrested for index crimes. So a small error rate in a very large system can result in thousands of miscarriages of justice and allow many of the criminals who actually committed those crimes to remain free to victimize others.

Assuming our justice system gets it right 99.5% of the time, this year 7,500 innocent people will be wrongfully convicted. Do you think it's really that good?

Edit: removed crap from D&D thought I was grandstanding in GBS

baquerd fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 30, 2010

Thoren
May 28, 2008
baquered, it always surprises me when certain judges have certain conviction rates. Just insane. The whole system of having a "Judge" seem to be broken today. Why is a punishment with a range of minimum and maximum made on the whim of a Judge's emotions and feelings? It's like playing Russian roulette with people's lives, get the wrong judge and you're hosed out of 10 more years. If someone does a crime, let there be a fair punishment for it, not one that fluctuates on if the judge has had his or her morning coffee.

I remember one court in Japan had a 100% conviction rate for years. That's right, 100 loving percent.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.
The part about judges not convicting because of federal sentencing guidelines made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lDr3DQnHo

The guy makes a great point about how we don't punish people until BAM someone gets slapped with 10 years in prison for the same thing that people get away with every day.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thoren posted:

baquered, it always surprises me when certain judges have certain conviction rates. Just insane. The whole system of having a "Judge" seem to be broken today. Why is a punishment with a range of minimum and maximum made on the whim of a Judge's emotions and feelings? It's like playing Russian roulette with people's lives, get the wrong judge and you're hosed out of 10 more years. If someone does a crime, let there be a fair punishment for it, not one that fluctuates on if the judge has had his or her morning coffee.

The problem is that the law is not evenly applied by the prosecutor either. The same crime can merit different punishments depending on the circumstances of the case. Maximum sentencing guidelines should be put in place, but no minimums and certainly not a "flat" sentence applied arbitrarily to all found guilty.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

baquerd posted:

The problem is that the law is not evenly applied by the prosecutor either. The same crime can merit different punishments depending on the circumstances of the case. Maximum sentencing guidelines should be put in place, but no minimums and certainly not a "flat" sentence applied arbitrarily to all found guilty.
And those maximums should probably be about half of what is in place right now. If most unpremeditated murders get convicted of manslaughter, then that should be the conviction for (almost) all of them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

s0meb0dy0 posted:

The part about judges not convicting because of federal sentencing guidelines made me think of this:

The guy makes a great point about how we don't punish people until BAM someone gets slapped with 10 years in prison for the same thing that people get away with every day.

This guy is brilliant, and no one will ever listen to him. He has a clear and logical plan for reducing the prison population and crime. Unfortunately prison isn't a tool for reducing crime, it has no specific purpose. Many interests enjoy prisons existence and most have no incentive for their populations to be reduced.

Prison guard unions for example, or owners of private prisons have an oposite incentive. Families of victims, and victims rights organizations likewise enjoy large prisons. Prosecutors would much rather put away one person for 25 years than 25 people for 1 year, it's 25x more work and adds less to their prestige. Businesses that use prison (slave) labor don't want less workers. Local politicians love the extra "constituents" and jobs for their community.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 30, 2010

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Thoren posted:

I remember one court in Japan had a 100% conviction rate for years. That's right, 100 loving percent.

The Japanese criminal justice system is an absolute goddamn nightmare. The conviction rate is still routinely over 90% mostly because they will hold suspects without visitors or access to legal council for as long as legally possible while badgering them to sign confessions, sometimes multiple times per day, every day until they either crack or have to be released. Most cases aren't even brought to trial unless it's a guaranteed slam dunk. It's also very much a "guilty until proven innocent" system, hearkening back to the legal system under the Tokugawa bakufu, itself based on Neo-Confucian concepts of justice.

Don't take my word for it.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Protocol 5 posted:

The Japanese criminal justice system is an absolute goddamn nightmare. The conviction rate is still routinely over 90% mostly because they will hold suspects without visitors or access to legal council for as long as legally possible while badgering them to sign confessions, sometimes multiple times per day, every day until they either crack or have to be released. Most cases aren't even brought to trial unless it's a guaranteed slam dunk. It's also very much a "guilty until proven innocent" system, hearkening back to the legal system under the Tokugawa bakufu, itself based on Neo-Confucian concepts of justice.

Don't take my word for it.

The funny thing is is that they have seemingly the worst possible most screwed up system you could even imagine but still only send people to jail 7% as much as the US does.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Robert King, internationally-recognized prison reform activist and Angola 3 member who spent 29 years in solitary, wrote an article for the Guardian on Saturday.

quote:

'I talk about my years in solitary as if it was the past, but the truth is it never leaves you. In some ways I am still there'

Bonus: Interview / mini-lecture featuring King and Dr. Terry Kupers, world-renowned expert on prison mental health issues and Human Rights Watch consultant. Covers race issues, the effects of solitary, and more. A must-see. Also, King and Kupers on slavery at Angola

King makes pralines from scratch using a prison recipe and sells them to finance much of his activism- three dollars at a time. He calls them 'Freelines.' He also stayed behind during Katrina to make them for rescue workers.

Robert King posted:

In 1962, I learned to make candy from a fellow prisoner named 'Cap Pistol.' Over the years, using a stove made from cans and tissue, I perfected the recipe. Now that I'm free, I can make life a little 'sweeter' for you!

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Some death penalty information re: race, courtesy of dm

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^
I would note that at least around here (Rural/Suburban Northern California) our District Attorney's Offices are more diverse than local law firms (so are Public Defender's offices).
In some part, I think that graph is more reflective of the demographics of 50-60 year old lawyers (who are the higherups)than anything else. (This doesn't mean that these inequalities don't gently caress things up.
Also, there have been arguments that black DAs are no more fair than white DAs when faced with black defendants. Paul Butler, a former black prosecutor in DC turned law professor, has discussed how he may have been even baised against black defendants that white prosecutors, wanting to prove that he "was like them."
"Othering" is a huge problem in the criminal justice system.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

s0meb0dy0 posted:

That was wonderful. Shame on this loving country for not listening to men like him.

Also I love the Braid (video game) music in the video, haha.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

HidingFromGoro posted:

Robert King, internationally-recognized prison reform activist and Angola 3 member who spent 29 years in solitary,

Read that and totally meant to post it in this thread. That poor guy.

The internal strength he possesses is utterly astonishing.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

baquerd posted:

Assuming our justice system gets it right 99.5% of the time, this year 7,500 innocent people will be wrongfully convicted. Do you think it's really that good?
Do I think the current American justice system is good? Most certainly not. I was just pointing out that 'discrediting you and convincing the jury you're a bad person' is kind of the prosecutor's job, even in an ideal implementation of an adversarial system.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Strudel Man posted:

Do I think the current American justice system is good? Most certainly not. I was just pointing out that 'discrediting you and convincing the jury you're a bad person' is kind of the prosecutor's job, even in an ideal implementation of an adversarial system.

what if they just stuck to proving you did a thing?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Strudel Man posted:

I was just pointing out that 'discrediting you and convincing the jury you're a bad person' is kind of the prosecutor's job, even in an ideal implementation of an adversarial system.

No, it's not. See Rule of Evidence 404b. [link] The prosecutors job is to prove that you did this particular, specific crime; the one you are accused of committing. This is founding fathers stuff. Under our system, a trial is to determine whether you did a specific bad thing at a specific time, NOT whether you're a bad person; bad person evidence is specifically prohibited.
On the other hand, as a practical matter, the exceptions to 404b have swallowed the rule.

e:link

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 31, 2010

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

s0meb0dy0 posted:

I was watching this video in the watch room at the fire department I volunteer at and got some pretty sad but all too typical reactions.

FF1: "No poo poo we have more people in prison than China does, they execute so many people, including infant girls!!!"
FF2: "Yep, and if we did that we'd probably have less crime. If criminals couldn't get endless appeals and we could actually kill some now and then people might actually stop committing crime"
:ughh: There was more after this about prison rape and what a magical bit of humor that is. It comes up in these threads all the times, but how do you even begin to combat this attitude? Both of these guys have notions about criminal justice that are flatly, objectively wrong. In addition, they seems utterly inhuman when they joke about rape as an appropriate punishment. Is there something unique to America that makes this stuff acceptable to us while the rest of the developed world generally regards it as barbaric?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

No, it's not. See Rule of Evidence 404b. [link] The prosecutors job is to prove that you did this particular, specific crime; the one you are accused of committing. This is founding fathers stuff. Under our system, a trial is to determine whether you did a specific bad thing at a specific time, NOT whether you're a bad person; bad person evidence is specifically prohibited.
On the other hand, as a practical matter, the exceptions to 404b have swallowed the rule.
The rule disallows certain kinds of evidence to be used in pursuit of demonstrating that you're a bad person, not that goal in itself. See 404a just above, specifically permitting "evidence of a pertinent trait of character offered by an accused."

Establishing that the accused is somehow morally corrupt is, has been, and always will be a part of any adversarial criminal proceeding.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 1, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

joat mon posted:

e:link

what about 607-609

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Strudel Man posted:

The rule disallows certain kinds of evidence to be used in pursuit of demonstrating that you're a bad person, not that goal in itself. See 404a just above, specifically permitting "evidence of a pertinent trait of character offered by an accused."

JudicialRestraints posted:

what about 607-609

404a says a Defendant can open the door to character evidence. If and only if the Defendant uses character evidence, then the State can rebut with character evidence.

There are exceptions to 404b, where evidence of other bad acts can come in, but only to show intent, motive, absence of mistake, plan, knowledge, etc. When this stuff comes in, it comes in with a limiting instruction that it can be used only for the limited purpose of showing intent, motive, absence of mistake, plan, knowledge, (whatever the State said they needed it for) and not as character evidence. Even when this evidence comes in, the State is prohibited from arguing character.

607-609 work the same way - there are limiting instructions for this evidence, too; it can be used only for gauging credibility, not guilt/innocence. (exception: prior inconsistent statements made under oath, if you've laid a proper foundation) For 609, this is an improvement from the common law days when a felon was considered an incompetent witness and could not testify at all, ever.

P.S. 404b doesn't apply if you're accused of a sex crime - see 413/414 (but 403 still applies)

P.P.S. Limiting instructions are worthless, unless the DA is dumb enough to actually argue a Defendant's bad character.

Strudel Man posted:

Establishing that the accused is somehow morally corrupt is, has been, and always will be a part of any adversarial criminal proceeding.

If you're talking about what the law allows or intends, unequivocally no.
If you're talking about what happens anyway and what gets taught/trained at prosecutor CLE conferences, unequivocally yes.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

JohnClark posted:

I was watching this video in the watch room at the fire department I volunteer at and got some pretty sad but all too typical reactions.

FF1: "No poo poo we have more people in prison than China does, they execute so many people, including infant girls!!!"
FF2: "Yep, and if we did that we'd probably have less crime. If criminals couldn't get endless appeals and we could actually kill some now and then people might actually stop committing crime"
:ughh: There was more after this about prison rape and what a magical bit of humor that is. It comes up in these threads all the times, but how do you even begin to combat this attitude? Both of these guys have notions about criminal justice that are flatly, objectively wrong. In addition, they seems utterly inhuman when they joke about rape as an appropriate punishment. Is there something unique to America that makes this stuff acceptable to us while the rest of the developed world generally regards it as barbaric?

I don't know if you will find this very useful, but I typed this up anyway.

China doesn't report how many executions it performs each year, but current estimates put the number between 5,000 and 6,000 per year but going as high as 10,000 per year in 2005 (from Wikipedia). That's definitely not enough executions each year to account for the fact that the US has ~734,645 more prisoners than China especially when you consider that China's population is about 4.3 times greater than the US's population.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/d8u5d/my_friend_from_high_school_is_on_death_row_here/

A girl on Reddit has a friend on death row. This is a letter he wrote her from there.

Some quotes:

To save money on heating and cooling, the air in this building is overly recirculated. This means, of course, more carbon dioxide and less oxygen.
Worst of all, they will turn the air flow down so much that we often cannot feel any air coming out of our vents for months at a time.
Because of all this, we are suffering Hypoxic Hypoxia. All of us prisoners are lethargic and couldn't exercise even if we had the space to do so. We all have short term memory loss and trouble concentrating. It is probable that we are all suffering at least mild brain damage.

Malnourishment and oxygen deprivation is causing our bodies to grow old very rapidly. Prisoners not even thirty years old are going gray and losing hair. We have bone joint and muscle problems. We have lines in our faces that young people should not have. My body is so broken down, especially my mind.

All jails and prisons in the U.S. conduct in activity that the world court condemns as torture.
Guards will shock people with electricity, strap naked prisoners to a chair and hose them down with ice cold water, spray C-S gas and pepper spray into the faces of chained prisoners, deprive people of sleep, and deny medicine that treats painful illnesses.
According to the U.S. Constitution we are slaves and have no civil rights. That's why our torture is legal. That's why I call myself Nemo.

Jesus loving Christ.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Holy gently caress, and I thought that running air conditioning up way too high was the only way you could torture people with an HVAC system. I guess I'm not cruel enough to think of slowly suffocating people.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

JohnClark posted:

Whenever I have to point out to someone how wrong they are about the prison system, I usually start with the prison population, and the fact that many people are in prison because of victimless crimes. From there I usually move on to discussing how horrible and inhumane all forms of execution are, innocent people on death row that have been released or executed, and that states with capital punishment have higher recidivism rates. Finally, I usually bring prison conditions as a whole (i.e. gangs, brutality, torture, etc.), and the U.S. mentality of punishment instead of rehabilitation and how these problems lead to recidivism.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

olylifter posted:

To save money on heating and cooling, the air in this building is overly recirculated. This means, of course, more carbon dioxide and less oxygen.
Worst of all, they will turn the air flow down so much that we often cannot feel any air coming out of our vents for months at a time.
Because of all this, we are suffering Hypoxic Hypoxia. All of us prisoners are lethargic and couldn't exercise even if we had the space to do so. We all have short term memory loss and trouble concentrating. It is probable that we are all suffering at least mild brain damage.

For what it's worth, this seems unlikely, not the effects but the cause. For one, the guards are breathing the same air.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 3, 2010

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

baquerd posted:

For what it's worth, this seems unlikely, not the effects but the cause. For one, the guards are breathing the same air.
The guards aren't there 24 hours a day, though, and that seems like it would matter.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

baquerd posted:

It seems very likely, once you have a building of a certain size HVAC becomes a necessary factor. There are systems that don't do a great job in tons of office buildings and so there is nothing unthinkable about the system being set up by someone that did a bunch of math to figure it out then it being controlled by a guard who spun the dials whatever way he felt was funniest.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I mean you need a masters in mechanical engineering to design the sort of complex airflow systems really large buildings have and it seems incredibly obvious that in a building no one cares about people would just do whatever and subvert the design.

I don't think anyone is like intentionally making gas chambers exactly, I think it's that prison guards don't actually understand what havc does and think they are just being slightly jerkish to some prisoners by not replacing a fan or turning the airflow lower than the design said it'd be at.

havc is serious business!

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

HidingFromGoro - or anyone else who might remember - I know that you posted in one of these topics previously a really great list of solutions that you thought could make the prison system a significantly better place. For example, one item on the list was having prisoners make phone calls to cancel credit cards, pay off debts, and make funeral arrangements if they were convicted of murder.

Could anyone who has access to this list repost it here or just link me to it? I looked through all of HFG's posts here and couldn't find it. Thanks.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Soap Scum posted:

HidingFromGoro - or anyone else who might remember - I know that you posted in one of these topics previously a really great list of solutions that you thought could make the prison system a significantly better place. For example, one item on the list was having prisoners make phone calls to cancel credit cards, pay off debts, and make funeral arrangements if they were convicted of murder.
I vaguely remember the list, but I have to say something about that idea.

A trial for murder will take place long after the crime takes place, at which time the victim has long since had their funeral. While it seems like a good idea it just won't work in practice.

Unless of course someone comes forward right after the crime and confesses guilt, but even then I have my doubts that the victim's family wants anything to do with the confessed murderer.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

CannonFodder posted:

I vaguely remember the list, but I have to say something about that idea.

A trial for murder will take place long after the crime takes place, at which time the victim has long since had their funeral. While it seems like a good idea it just won't work in practice.

Unless of course someone comes forward right after the crime and confesses guilt, but even then I have my doubts that the victim's family wants anything to do with the confessed murderer.

I never read the list, but I assumed he was talking about if the person was a murderer and was sentenced to death In which case, doing all of those things makes a little more sense.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
No surprise here, Maricopa County has decided not to prosecute the guards who killed 48-year-old Marcia Powell by leaving her in an oven-like metal "punishment cage" in the AZ sun.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bastard/2010/09/marcia_powells_death_unavenged.php

quote:

The Maricopa County Attorney's Office has chosen not to prosecute Arizona Department of Corrections staff in the death of inmate Marcia Powell.

Powell, 48, died May 20, 2009, after being kept in a human cage in Goodyear's Perryville Prison for at least four hours in the blazing Arizona sun. This, despite a prison policy limiting such outside confinement to a maximum of two hours.

The county medical examiner found the cause of death to be due to complications from heat exposure. Her core body temperature upon examination was 108 degrees Fahrenheit. She suffered burns and blisters all over her body.

Witnesses say she was repeatedly denied water by corrections officers, though the c.o.'s deny this. The weather the day she collapsed from the heat (May 19 -- she died in the early morning hours of May 20) arched just above a 107 degree high.

According to a 3,000 page report released by the ADC, she pleaded to be taken back inside, but was ignored. Similarly, she was not allowed to use the restroom. When she was found unconscious, her body was covered with excrement from soiling herself.

Powell, who was serving a 27-month sentence for prostitution, actually expired after being transported to West Valley Hospital, where acting ADC Director Charles Ryan made the decision to have her life support suspended.

(Ryan lacked the authority to do this, but that's another story, which you can read about, here.)

ADC conducted its own criminal investigation into Powell's agonizing demise. The information I have indicates that ADC submitted its conclusions to the county attorney earlier this year. (Please see update below.) ADC was seeking charges of negligent homicide against at least seven c.o.'s, as well as related charges against other prison staff.

Why didn't the county attorney's office pursue those charges? Apparently, they didn't think they could prevail in court.

County attorney spokesman Bill Fitzgerald issued the following terse statement.

"There is insufficient evidence to go forward with a prosecution against any of the named individuals," he e-mailed me, declining to elaborate further.

Donna Hamm of the advocacy group Middle Ground Prison Reform wasn't buying it.

"Having read the bulk of those 3,000 pages of reports," she told me, "if someone in a prosecutorial position can't find a crime in those pages, they have absolutely no credibility in my opinion."

Hamm noted that guards passed Powell several times throughout her stay in the cage, and that some mocked her pleas for water. As for c.o. claims that Powell was given water, Hamm countered that Powell's eyes "were as dry as parchment," and that the autopsy results show there was no sign of hydration.

Hamm was incredulous that the county attorney couldn't find enough evidence to bring charges.

"It's just beyond comprehension," she stated. "This is the same office that has prosecuted mothers who left their babies in a couple of inches of water to go outside and take a cell phone call or look in the mail."

She also cited the case of "Buffalo Soldier" Charles Long, who was prosecuted by the MCAO for negligent homicide in the 2001 death of a kid who had enrolled in his program for troubled teens and died after being exposed to the heat and put in a bath, where he inhaled water.

The ADC did make some reforms in the wake of Powell's death. It was discovered that the cages were being used to control unruly prisoners, and the ADC claims this practice has stopped. However, Hamm says she has uncovered a case of a man in a Tucson facility who, earlier this year, was held all day and overnight in an outside cage.

Some 16 prison employees were sanctioned in one way or another as a result of the Powell incident, and some were fired. But Hamm says she believes some of those sanctioned have been reinstated.

The outdoor cages are still in use, but have been retrofitted to provide shade, misters, water stations, and benches, which, ironically, Hamm says are metal, and would thus soak up the heat. She's toured ADC facilities to see the redone cages, and admits that changes are positive, but too late to save Powell's life, obviously.

"All the retrofitting in the world is worthless if the staff doesn't follow the policy," she insisted.

Powell had been diagnosed as mentally ill, and was on more than one psychotropic drug, drugs that increased her sensitivity to heat, sunlight and lack of water. All the more reason, according to Hamm, that prison staff should be held accountable.

The only next of kin that was located for Powell was an aged, adoptive mother in California, who had not had contact with Powell for years, and did not want to take possession of the remains.

So, with the help of Hamm and others, Powell's ashes were interred last year at Phoenix's Shadow Rock Church of Christ.

Brophy College Preparatory School also dedicated a plaque to Powell on school grounds this year.

But with no one with standing to bring a federal lawsuit (Hamm says the deadline for a state lawsuit has expired), and with the MCAO unwilling to bring a case against those responsible for Powell's well-being, there looks to be no justice for the schizophrenic deceased woman.

I asked Hamm what this means for the case.

"It means they've gotten away with the most colossal example of brutality I have seen against a female prisoner in the history of the Arizona Department of Corrections," remarked Hamm, adding, "And they got off scot-free."

Also note that the narrative of retributive justice has been used for so long, that even one of the most outspoken critics of Joe Arpaio is using words like "unavenged."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I never read the list, but I assumed he was talking about if the person was a murderer and was sentenced to death In which case, doing all of those things makes a little more sense.
It makes sense, however trials that don't involve an immediate confession tend to take weeks to months, especially capital murder 1 cases where the death penalty comes into play. And I consider that a GOOD thing, that it takes time to make certain that the person accused of murder has been found guilty of it beyond a shadow of a doubt. However, the time taken to make certain that the person who committed a murder did so in such a way as to be killed by the state takes far more time than what it takes for the victim to be buried and all of the other very crappy end of life stuff would have already taken place.

I'm just saying that while it's a good idea, the "convict someone of murder" takes place on a longer timeline than "bury someone who was murdered" and doesn't take into account the victim's family reticence with having to do anything with those accused of murder. I say accused because the body will be dead in the ground (or as applies for cremation) long before a trial takes place (again, outside of direct confession).

I'm just saying it seems like a good idea until you take into account the other side and the variable of the family of the victim.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Also MCSO is organized crime funded by taxpayers. Just wanted to put this in a different post.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
e: nvm

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

It makes sense, however trials that don't involve an immediate confession tend to take weeks to months, especially capital murder 1 cases where the death penalty comes into play. And I consider that a GOOD thing, that it takes time to make certain that the person accused of murder has been found guilty of it beyond a shadow of a doubt. However, the time taken to make certain that the person who committed a murder did so in such a way as to be killed by the state takes far more time than what it takes for the victim to be buried and all of the other very crappy end of life stuff would have already taken place.

I'm just saying that while it's a good idea, the "convict someone of murder" takes place on a longer timeline than "bury someone who was murdered" and doesn't take into account the victim's family reticence with having to do anything with those accused of murder. I say accused because the body will be dead in the ground (or as applies for cremation) long before a trial takes place (again, outside of direct confession).

I'm just saying it seems like a good idea until you take into account the other side and the variable of the family of the victim.
I think his point is that the guy sentenced to death would be arranging his own funeral, not the victim's.

HidingFromGoro posted:

Marcia Powell story
Jesus christ that is horrible.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

baquerd posted:

http://www.abanet.org/crimjust/spring2003/conviction.html

2 out of 3 times when a conviction goes wrong, it's due to prosecutorial misconduct, frequently overlapping with police misconduct. Self-evident conspiracy, yet where is their jail sentence?

"...Scheck found that prosecutors suppressed exculpatory evidence in 43 percent of the cases..."

Edit: removed crap from D&D thought I was grandstanding in GBS

Do you have statistics on how often defense attorneys attempt to suppress incriminating evidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

Do you have statistics on how often defense attorneys attempt to suppress incriminating evidence?

I think there's a bit of the difference between the two. A defense attorney's job is to defend their client whether they be innocent or guilty. A prosecutor works for government so intuitively their job should be to see justice served. So, if they know their victim is innocent they oughtta let them go eh?

• Locked thread