Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No End to Gulps
Aug 19, 2006

Go home and be a family man

Idioteque Dance posted:

Seriously though, best toy for grownups ever.

hahaha awesome, and thanks.

Just reaized I was calling it an iPod 4, how lame and parental, like calling all video games systems 'a nintendo'. I meant the rumored iPod Touch 4.

No End to Gulps fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Idioteque Dance posted:

(though I've never found a way to subscribe to podcasts, only download individual episodes - is it possible?),

As far as I know you have to subscribe to them from within iTunes. iTunes will then check them once every 24 hours, and next time you plug your iPod in iTunes will sync and transfer any new podcasts that have been downloaded. Though some video podcasts I've found are not in the proper format to sync with the iPod Touch (I'm looking at you Attack of the Show!).

The only reason I can think of that the iPod doesn't do this automatically over WiFi is because they are looking out for possible battery hogs? I could imagine somebody subscribing to hundreds of Podcasts and it basically killing the battery when it would download them at 1am leaving a dead iPod in the morning because people are stupid :(

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Has anyone else been having problems with the Netflix app crashing on their iPod (both 2g and 3g models) when trying to watch movies in the instant queue? It acts like it's going to load and then goes back to the previous screen. I've tried reloading the app several times and haven't had any luck so far.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

duffmensch posted:

Has anyone else been having problems with the Netflix app crashing on their iPod (both 2g and 3g models) when trying to watch movies in the instant queue? It acts like it's going to load and then goes back to the previous screen. I've tried reloading the app several times and haven't had any luck so far.

Holy crap when did this come out?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
The Netflix came out early last week, I think.

Macrumors is reporting the new iPod Touch may include 3g. I for one would love this. My only trepidation about actually picking up an iPhone is that I wouldn't use the network features enough to warrant the extra $30 a month. That, and I barely ever text. An iPod Touch 3G would be outstanding for me on trips when I need some sort of access, but hate to lug around a computer. Like the iPad 3g, buy the access when you want it. I hope this is a reality as I think it would save me a lot of money over buying an iPhone. Its probably just a rumor and not reality, but I can hope. :ohdear:

Siroc fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 29, 2010

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Siroc posted:

The Netflix came out early last week, I think.

Macrumors is reporting the new iPod Touch may include 3g. I for one would love this. My only trepidation about actually picking up an iPhone is that I wouldn't use the network features enough to warrant the extra $30 a month. That, and I barely ever text. An iPod Touch 3G would be outstanding for me on trips when I need some sort of access, but hate to lug around a computer. Like the iPad 3g, buy the access when you want it. I hope this is a reality as I think it would save me a lot of money over buying an iPhone. Its probably just a rumor and not reality, but I can hope. :ohdear:

I think that Apple is still going to have some sort of differentiator between the iPhone and iPod touch. It'll be 3.2 MP rear camera and no 3G this time around. Want 3G? Buy an iPhone. Don't blame me, blame Apple.

If the slim chance of Apple including cell hardware into the iPod touch happens, be prepared to pay an extra $75-$100 for it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
At this point, it seems like the most logical option would be to combine all of these devices into one brand, offering a range of different sizes/capacities and with/without 3G. But the brands are each so powerful and pervasive that it'll probably never happen.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
As much as I would want a 3G iPod Touch I doubt Apple would do it.

If they did though I would completely drop my $10 data plan on my cell phone and use my Touch for all my mobile data needs.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Astro7x posted:

As much as I would want a 3G iPod Touch I doubt Apple would do it.

If they did though I would completely drop my $10 data plan on my cell phone and use my Touch for all my mobile data needs.

I could see them doing something like the iPad 3G with it, no contract but also no unlimited data sort of deal.

Spiderfailure
Jun 19, 2007

NED THE SPIDER JERKED OFF IN YOUR BATHROOM!
I have a jailbroken 2nd gen touch with 4.0 running and it is fine, I even have did stuff to get customizable backgrounds and multitasking. It is possible. However I tried to restore to an earlier OS with the shift click method but when I try it says the OS isn't compatible with my device despite me having the version meant for the 2nd gen. Any advice?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Hey goons, hoping I can get some help on an issue.

My buddy is in the Navy and is currently on a submarine somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. He has a 1st gen iPod Touch. On the sub they have a network set up with a D-Link wireless router connected to a machine that is hosting some media files (movies/music/tv shows, etc) so, I'm assuming, people can stream it to their laptops if they have them. I'm assuming the host machine is running some version of Windows, probably XP. Its definitely not a Mac.

Is there any way he can view this media on his iPod by getting on the network, perhaps through the iPod's Safari browser? I've googled for solutions, but the closest thing I've found requires that the host machine be a Mac. Would he just need to input the IP of the host machine into Safari on the iPod?

He has absolutely no internet access other than a community computer everyone shares to check email, so downloading an app on the iPod is out of the question.

Thanks!

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
https://winamp.orb.com/orb/html/login.html

Winamp remote says that it works on the web. I've never used it, I just remember it asking me if I wanted to set it up awhile back. That may work?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Syntax! posted:

I could see them doing something like the iPad 3G with it, no contract but also no unlimited data sort of deal.

Nah, that's AT&T. You can't really hit 2 GB on a cell phone unless you really try.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

Nah, that's AT&T. You can't really hit 2 GB on a cell phone unless you really try.

Now that netflix is out for iphone I could do it in 2 days.

Edit: 4

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Godzilla07 posted:

Back when I had an iPhone I used upwards of 2gb within the month due to me being away and not having a computer. It's possible.
Can't forget the whole netflix thing like Ninja Toast mentioned too.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Venkmanologist posted:

Hey goons, hoping I can get some help on an issue.

My buddy is in the Navy and is currently on a submarine somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. He has a 1st gen iPod Touch. On the sub they have a network set up with a D-Link wireless router connected to a machine that is hosting some media files (movies/music/tv shows, etc) so, I'm assuming, people can stream it to their laptops if they have them. I'm assuming the host machine is running some version of Windows, probably XP. Its definitely not a Mac.

Is there any way he can view this media on his iPod by getting on the network, perhaps through the iPod's Safari browser? I've googled for solutions, but the closest thing I've found requires that the host machine be a Mac. Would he just need to input the IP of the host machine into Safari on the iPod?

He has absolutely no internet access other than a community computer everyone shares to check email, so downloading an app on the iPod is out of the question.

Thanks!

Ninja Toast! posted:

https://winamp.orb.com/orb/html/login.html

Winamp remote says that it works on the web. I've never used it, I just remember it asking me if I wanted to set it up awhile back. That may work?

I should probably clarify..he's has absolutely no means of internet access, even on the machine that is hosting the files. He won't be able to download any software, at all. I know this can be done between an iPod touch and a Mac over a network without any third-party software (using the iPod's browser), I just need to know if its possible on a Windows machine as well.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just wanted to make sure the nature of the situation was clear.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I don't know where I would be today, if I wasn't able to play iPod Touch games while taking a poo poo. I still have my first generation touch, the brick. If they come out with another generation I'm going to get it, the new games are running like poo poo on this thing :smith:. Probably the best thing I ever spent my money on, though.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Venkmanologist posted:

I should probably clarify..he's has absolutely no means of internet access, even on the machine that is hosting the files. He won't be able to download any software, at all. I know this can be done between an iPod touch and a Mac over a network without any third-party software (using the iPod's browser), I just need to know if its possible on a Windows machine as well.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just wanted to make sure the nature of the situation was clear.

Oh, sorry, I thought he could have downloaded something on the host machine. Yeah, no clue then.

Also thanks to whoever suggested the Blue recording apps, my stupid mic broke before I got to use it for what I wanted but it would have been lovely had that not happened.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ok, so I got a free iPod Touch 8gb when I ordered a MacBook Pro that I needed for school. What should I know? What does jailbreaking for it do, exactly, and why should I do it? I don't really need an mp3 player, as I have a Zune 64gb that I love and use daily already, so I'm mainly in this for the apps.

Dave Thorpe Painting
Aug 9, 2004
Dictator of The World - 2033

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok, so I got a free iPod Touch 8gb when I ordered a MacBook Pro that I needed for school. What should I know? What does jailbreaking for it do, exactly, and why should I do it? I don't really need an mp3 player, as I have a Zune 64gb that I love and use daily already, so I'm mainly in this for the apps.

Jailbreak and install some remote control apps.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Official thread for tomorrow's Apple event.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what am I missing here?

Update:
-Retina Display
-Apple's A4 chip
-3-axis gyroscope
-Rear-facing camera that can record HD video (and lovely 960x720 still photos)
-Front-facing camera t for FaceTime.
-Same Prices and Sizes as before.
-Slightly Thinner

What we didn't get that was rumored:
-No 3G iPod Touch

Stuff I'm still curious about:
-Longer Battery Life?
-Can this thing play downloaded rented TV shows? Or is that exclusive to the Apple TV?

Given that my cell phone takes better pictures, it's not worth upgrading from my iPod Touch 3G just yet. I think I can live without FaceTime as well.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 1, 2010

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
im disappointed by them deciding to go with the same size constraints. i guess they figure if you want more size then you'd get a classic, but with all the movies/music/apps available, 64GB doesnt really last like you think it will.

EDIT: guess it saves me upgrading to the newest model though.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I figured Apple would go with like, a 3MP camera for the rear. Not even 1MP is pretty :psypop:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

I figured Apple would go with like, a 3MP camera for the rear. Not even 1MP is pretty :psypop:

I'm still holding out hope that it's a software restriction they put on it (similar to the bluetooth capabilities of previous iPod Touch models.)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Wonderllama posted:

im disappointed by them deciding to go with the same size constraints. i guess they figure if you want more size then you'd get a classic, but with all the movies/music/apps available, 64GB doesnt really last like you think it will.

EDIT: guess it saves me upgrading to the newest model though.

If the iPhone gets a storage bump, the iPod touch will get a storage bump. iPhone didn't go to 32/64 this year, so the touch won't.

Astro7x posted:

So what am I missing here?

Update:
-Retina Display
-Apple's A4 chip
-3-axis gyroscope
-Rear-facing camera that can record HD video (and lovely 960x720 still photos)
-Front-facing camera t for FaceTime.
-Same Prices and Sizes as before.
-Slightly Bigger

What we didn't get that was rumored:
-No 3G iPod Touch

Stuff I'm still curious about :
-Longer Battery Life?
-Can this thing play downloaded rented TV shows? Or is that exclusive to the Apple TV?

Given that my cell phone takes better pictures, it's not worth upgrading from my iPod Touch 3G just yet. I think I can live without FaceTime as well.

The 3G iPod touch was always a rumor from left field for me. It was for those 3 people who want a smartphone, but without the phone and they want to occasionally pay for data.

I don't care that the rear camera is a joke. The iPod for me is my media player, because Android simply sucks for music syncing. Most people hate iTunes with a burning passion, but I don't like having to re-sync a whole playlist just to update it for 30 songs.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think next year they'll probably have to redo the Nano again. It's too tiny and they took away too many features, imo. If they just made the old Nano with a touchscreen it'd be great.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Captain Charisma posted:

I think next year they'll probably have to redo the Nano again. It's too tiny and they took away too many features, imo. If they just made the old Nano with a touchscreen it'd be great.

The nano looks horrible. While the touch screen for navigation is nice, some people need physical buttons... I'll admit that my iPod Touch is a pain in the rear end to use while working out or while walking to work in the cold with gloves on.

I know that the headphones have the buttons now, but the headphones are garbage.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I just got an iPod touch 3rd gen for buying a new MacBook pro for school. When I bought it, I thought they said something about being able to swap out the iPod for a new model if it was released within X amount of time after the purchase. Am I imagining that they said this, or does anybody know the specifics of that?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The whole point of the back to school sales is to clear the inventory of old iPods. I've never heard of Apple letting you swap your hardware for new stuff just because they came out with something new. Especially for the Back To School promo.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Millions posted:

I just got an iPod touch 3rd gen for buying a new MacBook pro for school. When I bought it, I thought they said something about being able to swap out the iPod for a new model if it was released within X amount of time after the purchase. Am I imagining that they said this, or does anybody know the specifics of that?

It's not the third-gen you got, you got the second-gen.

The free iPods cannot be swapped out. The reason why they do that promotion is to clear out old stock.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Godzilla07 posted:

It's not the third-gen you got, you got the second-gen.

The free iPods cannot be swapped out. The reason why they do that promotion is to clear out old stock.

It's 3rd gen, I put down the extra $100 for a 32gb.

But dang. Oh well, I suppose I can live without FaceTime.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I am bummed about the rear camera sucking. I wanted a device to replace my 6-year old MP3 player, MIA Flip, and cover up how terrible the Droid camera is for basic snapshots. Sounds like it will do two of these things quite well, but I for some reason had my hopes up for an end-all-be-all device.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

spidoman posted:

I'm still holding out hope that it's a software restriction they put on it (similar to the bluetooth capabilities of previous iPod Touch models.)
I'd think the fact that the new Touch can record 720p HD video supports your idea that it's a software restriction keeping the Touch from taking larger pictures. If the minimum resolution for 720p video is 1280x720, then I'd think the still camera sensor would be capable of at least that!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Everyone needs to download this right now

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/epic-citadel

It looks amazing running on my iPod Touch... I wonder how quick it will drain the battery life though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Karthe posted:

I'd think the fact that the new Touch can record 720p HD video supports your idea that it's a software restriction keeping the Touch from taking larger pictures. If the minimum resolution for 720p video is 1280x720, then I'd think the still camera sensor would be capable of at least that!

1280x720 is a 16:9 aspect ratio, 960x720 is a cropped 4:3 aspect ratio.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

Oh duh, that makes sense. I guess most people would want a 4:3 picture instead of a 16:9 :downs:

Though now I'm wondering if Jailbreakers will eventually discover that the rear camera can support higher resolutions...In any case, while the honeymoon might wear off soon enough, for now I'm just happy that I'll have the option to take pictures and video whenever I want to.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Karthe posted:

Oh duh, that makes sense. I guess most people would want a 4:3 picture instead of a 16:9 :downs:

Though now I'm wondering if Jailbreakers will eventually discover that the rear camera can support higher resolutions...In any case, while the honeymoon might wear off soon enough, for now I'm just happy that I'll have the option to take pictures and video whenever I want to.

That's the boat I'm in. I'm selling my new iPod Touch 32GB for 200, and with my rebate coming in I'll basically be able to get a new one for $200 instead of $300.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Astro7x posted:

Just to confirm... So even though the new iPod says it takes 720p HD video, it's really not taking 16:9 HD video, but a lower resolution? I mean, won't people see that it's not really HD when put up against video taken by any other HD camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Just to confirm... So even though the new iPod says it takes 720p HD video, it's really not taking 16:9 HD video, but a lower resolution? I mean, won't people see that it's not really HD when put up against video taken by any other HD camera?

I was under the impression that the video was standard 720p, its just the still camera that crops it down to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

• Locked thread