Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

plester1 posted:

I was under the impression that the video was standard 720p, its just the still camera that crops it down to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

I don't know about that... The Apple site is very vague about stating resolution for the 720p video it takes. I would love to have confirmation that it is 16:9, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet (I ordered the 64gb version on the spot, just FYI, but I'm prepared to be let down if it's some weird resolution).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I think I'm going to wait for some reviews before making a purchase.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Guys, the video recording is 720p. The still shots are cropped. The reason the still shots having a poor resolution is due to the sensor being made for video, not video AND still photos. Recording video and taking still photos are two different things. They simply couldn't fit the sensor and LED flash from the iPhone 4 into the touch.

It really does suck, though. I really wanted a touch with the 5MP rear camera so I could ditch my Canon P&S. The other hardware updates just don't interest me that much. The retina display is nice, but I don't spend that much time reading on my iPod. I don't really have any use for Facetime. As for the A4, more RAM, gyroscope, etc -- all of that stuff is great if you play games on your iPod, but I don't.

I'm skipping this update.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
An opposing viewpoint: I loving love this update. I don't care at all about the rear camera stuff but as someone who uses it for music, games, late night internet browsing, I'm absolutely getting it. I love my 2nd gen to death and its had daily use for the better part of 18 months now but the retina display and new hardware have me hooked.

I also love how its even thinner and lighter.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

toxick posted:

Guys, the video recording is 720p. The still shots are cropped. The reason the still shots having a poor resolution is due to the sensor being made for video, not video AND still photos. Recording video and taking still photos are two different things. They simply couldn't fit the sensor and LED flash from the iPhone 4 into the touch.

It really does suck, though. I really wanted a touch with the 5MP rear camera so I could ditch my Canon P&S. The other hardware updates just don't interest me that much. The retina display is nice, but I don't spend that much time reading on my iPod. I don't really have any use for Facetime. As for the A4, more RAM, gyroscope, etc -- all of that stuff is great if you play games on your iPod, but I don't.

What is 720p, according to you? Is it 1280x720 or 960x720?

They have not specified this, and the example video on apple's site that says "this video was shot on an iPod touch" is in the iPod touch aspect ratio, not 16:9.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Too lazy to read any prior pages -- if I preordered, but only requested standard shipping, will my shipping be delayed? i.e., will i get this when it's released?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

What is 720p, according to you? Is it 1280x720 or 960x720?

They have not specified this, and the example video on apple's site that says "this video was shot on an iPod touch" is in the iPod touch aspect ratio, not 16:9.

720p is always recorded at 1280x720. If you look at a video made with the iPhone 4, you'll see that its resolution is 1280x720.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

toxick posted:

720p is always recorded at 1280x720. If you look at a video made with the iPhone 4, you'll see that its resolution is 1280x720.
You can't use the iPhone as a case for the ipod having the same resolution. We know that the camera is much lower quality and the only resolution that has been mentioned on the site maxes out at 960...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
How long do you guys think it'll take before we see cases for the Touch 4G?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I wonder what would be the going rate for a used 3G 32GB iPod Touch? $200?

If I could get that much I'd gladly sell it and get a new 4th Gen. I've kept the thing in a soft case and it looks pretty good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but does this thing seriously not have radio? Because it's not listed on the specs. It's listed for the nano but not the touch.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Sir Lemming posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but does this thing seriously not have radio? Because it's not listed on the specs. It's listed for the nano but not the touch.
The Touch has never had FM radio. Strangely enough, though, a teardown of the 3G a year or so ago revealed a Broadcom chip that would let it receive FM radio - the only limitation appeared to be the OS, which didn't have such a feature enabled (obviously).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Karthe posted:

The Touch has never had FM radio. Strangely enough, though, a teardown of the 3G a year or so ago revealed a Broadcom chip that would let it receive FM radio - the only limitation appeared to be the OS, which didn't have such a feature enabled (obviously).

I thought the rumor was that the reason the feature was being held back was because Apple hasn't been able to fine a way to recognize the songs playing on the radio and have you be able to purchase them from the iTunes store.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

I thought the rumor was that the reason the feature was being held back was because Apple hasn't been able to fine a way to recognize the songs playing on the radio and have you be able to purchase them from the iTunes store.
That could very well be true. It's been a while since that discovery was made, I was pulling it all up from memory :shobon:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Astro7x posted:

If I could get that much I'd gladly sell it and get a new 4th Gen. I've kept the thing in a soft case and it looks pretty good.

That's what my guess was, but mine is only 9 days old. No takers on SA-Mart yet, so maybe I'm a bit high, but I'm guessing $200 is a good mark.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

spidoman posted:

That's what my guess was, but mine is only 9 days old. No takers on SA-Mart yet, so maybe I'm a bit high, but I'm guessing $200 is a good mark.

Just Craigslist it, you'll easily get rid of it on there.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Astro7x posted:

This is around what I'm trying to get for it in SA-Mart.

smug forum asshole fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 2, 2010

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

Astro7x posted:

That still doesn't make sense. You've been able to get that feature in car stereos for years now. My friend's Monte Carlo had it and it blew my mind.

-I'd love radio on my ipod touch! I'd be nice to be able to just listen to the radio while cycling instead of trying to change up my music all the time.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

JazzFlight posted:

You can't use the iPhone as a case for the ipod having the same resolution. We know that the camera is much lower quality and the only resolution that has been mentioned on the site maxes out at 960...
Yeah but you can make a case that 720p means a specific resolution (1280x720). 960 is just the max resolution on the display. The iPhone 4 can record 720p but it can't display 720p.

720p doesn't just mean 720 pixels vertical. It's a specific video standard. You can't just record at 960x720 and call it 720p HD video. Also why would one dimension of the resolution be limited to the retina display's resolution but the other one exceed it? That'd make no sense.

toxick posted:

All those features isn't just useful for games. There are plenty of cool apps that use more processor and RAM. And gyroscopes can use pretty useful for other apps like Star Walk.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 2, 2010

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to arrange to pick up my pre-ordered Touch 4G at a nearby Apple store? I'm heading out of town for a week during the "Delivered by" date range, and I'd like to try and get mine before I leave.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The thing that sucks about the iPod Touch is that they keep making it thinner, but it needs to get thicker to put a decent sized camera in it that takes pictures.

And if they will allow the Touch to do 4:3 cropped photos on the video camera, why not bring that function to last years Nano?

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Crotch Bat posted:

An opposing viewpoint: I loving love this update. I don't care at all about the rear camera stuff but as someone who uses it for music, games, late night internet browsing, I'm absolutely getting it. I love my 2nd gen to death and its had daily use for the better part of 18 months now but the retina display and new hardware have me hooked.

I also love how its even thinner and lighter.

Yeah, I'm in the exact same boat, the 3G had no appeal to me as a 2G user but this time I'm definitely going to be an earlier adopter. I'm not a game person but I live in a foreign country and my touch is pretty much my lifeline

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Astro7x posted:

The thing that sucks about the iPod Touch is that they keep making it thinner, but it needs to get thicker to put a decent sized camera in it that takes pictures.

And if they will allow the Touch to do 4:3 cropped photos on the video camera, why not bring that function to last years Nano?

I think at this point it's fairly obvious that Apple has no intention of putting a decent still camera in the touch any time soon. Prototypes of the 3rd gen touch included a low res video camera like last year's nano, and this year we got HD video recording with still shots essentially being cropped freeze frames.

The touch's continued lack of a still camera is probably a part of Apple's effort to differentiate it from the iPhone. If not for Facetime, it probably wouldn't have gotten any cameras at all this year.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

toxick posted:

I think at this point it's fairly obvious that Apple has no intention of putting a decent still camera in the touch any time soon. Prototypes of the 3rd gen touch included a low res video camera like last year's nano, and this year we got HD video recording with still shots essentially being cropped freeze frames.

The touch's continued lack of a still camera is probably a part of Apple's effort to differentiate it from the iPhone. If not for Facetime, it probably wouldn't have gotten any cameras at all this year.

It's 2 reasons. 1) Cost and 2) Form factor. The 5MP Camera would probably make the $229 touch even more expensive, and it would probably take up more room and thus the touch wouldn't be as thin as it is.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

echobucket posted:

It's 2 reasons. 1) Cost and 2) Form factor. The 5MP Camera would probably make the $229 touch even more expensive, and it would probably take up more room and thus the touch wouldn't be as thin as it is.
Did the Touch really need to be made thinner? I thought it was thin enough as it was! I wonder if a bigger camera would have fit if Apple had retained the Touch 3G's size.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Karthe posted:

Did the Touch really need to be made thinner? I thought it was thin enough as it was! I wonder if a bigger camera would have fit if Apple had retained the Touch 3G's size.

Jobs used the thinness as an excuse for lack of camera with the 3G as well.

I don't know though.. in all honesty if I have a iPod Touch it's because I don't have an iPhone, and my cell phone takes better pictures than the iPod Touch 4G. So would I even really use the camera on the Touch if I had it? PRobably not.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

WDIIA posted:

Yeah, I'm in the exact same boat, the 3G had no appeal to me as a 2G user but this time I'm definitely going to be an earlier adopter. I'm not a game person but I live in a foreign country and my touch is pretty much my lifeline
Seems to be a pretty noticeable trend with iDevices that "every other gen" is the time to upgrade. To me, at least.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

I don't know though.. in all honesty if I have a iPod Touch it's because I don't have an iPhone, and my cell phone takes better pictures than the iPod Touch 4G. So would I even really use the camera on the Touch if I had it? PRobably not.
I've thought about that too, but then I realized that the only site I would regularly upload photos to would be Facebook. Since Facebook resizes most images to make it smaller dimensions-wise, does it really matter that the images you take with the Touch max out at 960 x 720?

I seem to be in the minority when I say that I don't mind that still photos won't get any bigger than that, but I do know that the convenience of having a camera on my Touch means I'll be taking a lot more pictures than I do with my phone's camera v:shobon:v

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Astro7x posted:

Jobs used the thinness as an excuse for lack of camera with the 3G as well.

You're missing the bigger picture. It's not that the iPhone 4 is the best cellphone camera on the market or anything because it's not. But it has a ton of apps that take advantage of the camera, especially camera apps like Pano that let you take panoramic shots. There are also cool photo editing apps and photo apps that automatically apply effects. It's pretty neat. It's not the best camera but it has a ton of cool features through apps that you won't find on most other cell phones. And soon HDR support, which is gonna be awesome. Plus direct uploading to Facebook and Flickr and all those other things through apps (not exclusive to iPhone I know).

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 3, 2010

InsomniakV
Mar 20, 2004

Ambien is my teddy bear...

Ice Blue posted:

It's not that the iPhone 4 is the best cellphone camera on the market or anything because it's not.

You take that back. My 5 megapixels are consistently higher quality than my friend's Evo's 8.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Anyone know for certain when the new touch will either be available in the apple stores in the uk or reviews will start being posted. I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on the 32gb one, but not with out either seing it in person or a slightly more detailed review.

Sputnyak
Dec 2, 2007

Discophagus Grunniens
I think they're being released around the 10th of September, although you can pre-order it now on places like Play.com and Amazon. The reviews will follow pretty fast, I hope to order mine the weekend after this one.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I have no idea if engraving adds to the wait time or not, but here's their estimate

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is anyone getting wifi trouble with iOS4? When I was running 3.1.3 I never had problems, now I keep on getting disconnected from my work network, and although the wifi icon appears I can't load anything. It's so annoying. I read something about problems with WPA2 security but wasn't sure.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Does anyone know if the Double Speed playback in the current generation of the iPod Touch (and iPhone) made it to any of the other new models?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps the camera records in an anamorphic format and specifies a 16:9 aspect ratio in the recorded video?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I'm just going to wait for a proper review of the new model. I might buy one, but I'm not in any hurry.

There's also the chance that the iPhone 4 will be available on Verizon sometime soon, but I doubt it. There was a rumor about Apple releasing a CDMA model in January, but it seems pretty strange that Apple would release a CDMA iPhone with only 6 months till the yearly bump.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

HolePisser1982 posted:

I have no idea if engraving adds to the wait time or not, but here's their estimate

I pre-ordered mine on Monday night with engraving and it is estimated to be delivered Sep 10 - 14.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

aw man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I called an Apple rep today to see about getting my shipping changed to a 2-day plan and was informed that everyone's orders (made through apple.com) are being sent out 2-day regardless of whether or not you chose standard shipping. Just thought you guys might like to know.

• Locked thread