Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Mighty Morphin' Valve Cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nice, good ol' elbow grease or soda blasting?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

SaNChEzZ posted:

Nice, good ol' elbow grease or soda blasting?

I wish I knew what soda blasting was...does it involve Mentos?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

God drat that's clean. Looks really nice.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The satin silver on black is pretty awesome-lookin'.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
^^thanks.

What's the significance? I don't knoooooooooooooooooooooooow. But I do believe the Soviets are involved.

Here we have Carb #2 just about to be cited for public urination:

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
I rode to my kids preschool (he was in the car with my wife) and when I got back on the bike I was greeted with; "rAwr rAwr rAwr rAwr rAwr" instead of "ZarOOOOm" when I tried to start it. gently caress you 2002 Tiger you loving piece of poo poo, I loving HATE that. So what I did to my bike was (after pounding on the seat for a while), hook up a solar battery charger and electricians tape it to the handle bars. Goddamn loving thing had best start this afternoon or I'm selling it. Christ I hate that.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

^^thanks.

What's the significance? I don't knoooooooooooooooooooooooow. But I do believe the Soviets are involved.

Here we have Carb #2 just about to be cited for public urination:

It looks to me like that maybe your automatic petcock really was working! I told ya that remembering to shut off the petcock is a pain. ;-)

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Crayvex posted:

It looks to me like that maybe your automatic petcock really was working! I told ya that remembering to shut off the petcock is a pain. ;-)

I've never seen a Honda of that vintage that still had the vacuum petcock attached. According to both of the DOHC forums, bypassing the vacuum system and just re-routing the lines into itself then using a regular petcock is a standard, encouraged practice during carb rebuilds.

Do it, life gets so much easier.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Rontalvos posted:

I've never seen a Honda of that vintage that still had the vacuum petcock attached. According to both of the DOHC forums, bypassing the vacuum system and just re-routing the lines into itself then using a regular petcock is a standard, encouraged practice during carb rebuilds.

Do it, life gets so much easier.

Whereas the Kawasaki's from that era are fine. Marv ripped it out based on the DOHC forum recommendations and I don't fault him for it. I just mentioned that you have to get in the habit of shutting it off manually.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Rode it around tonight and it seems fine; no spontaneous gushers. I just pushed my luck with it to see where the boundaries were. I've left it on overnight without a drip, all day...it was bound to happen eventually.

The AFV on these was a brilliant mistake, though I have to give them credit for their overflow tube routing.

One thing I WILL attribute to oversight/forgetfulness is somehow walking away from my Sportster with the key but with the switch flipped back to accessory. Somehow I don't process that it is possible to pull it out in a state other than "off." Left the thing on acc an entire workday last week and it still fired up.

Unrelated, but Rontalvos, have you done the GM/Delco coil mod?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

One thing I WILL attribute to oversight/forgetfulness is somehow walking away from my Sportster with the key but with the switch flipped back to accessory. Somehow I don't process that it is possible to pull it out in a state other than "off." Left the thing on acc an entire workday last week and it still fired up.

I have done this myself. What exactly is the point of even having the ACC position?

Edit: Hazards?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Ignore me.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Scrapez posted:

I have done this myself. What exactly is the point of even having the ACC position?

Edit: Hazards?

I don't know the logic here, other than maybe parts commonality with the big twins, where you actually have accessories. Also, I believe ACC is involved in getting into diagnostics mode.

Beyond that, you're right, hazards are probably the only practical use.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I was missing a turn signal so I replaced all 4 with Baja Designs LEDs. Now they don't blink. My new relay will hopefully be here tomorrow to correct this. I decided it was best to stay off the highway because of this so I went on a little 30 mile jaunt on the logging roads instead.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Changed oil, filter, rear tire, front sprocket, bled the brakes, lubed chain.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Don't blame me!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Stripped off all the aftermarket parts so I can sell them. And the bike. :qq:

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Armacham posted:

Don't blame me!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

needknees posted:

Stripped off all the aftermarket parts so I can sell them. And the bike. :qq:

You know what I like about you? You haven't even ridden the bike you're replacing your much loved literbike with. :v:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

You know what I like about you? You haven't even ridden the bike you're replacing your much loved literbike with. :v:

Unless that thing is a massive pile of poo poo or somehow the price magically changes I've pretty much made up my mind. I have no business owning a literbike :(

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Sometimes I dream of owning a litrebike. Then I go out and pull wheelies and go well past the posted limits and decided that I really don't need one.

Content: I rode my bike today

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Put a new tire on. OMG the bike is a thousandy times more willing to lean now! Even though I replaced it with the same tire, the old one was so flatspotted that it was down to the shiny bits.

Someday I'll get a real sportbike that I can get proper sticky rubber for . . .

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
- The payoff for the valve adjustment seems to be at highway cruising speed and top gear roll-on. It's a lot less labored and the vibes coming up through the seat have been nullified. I gave it a week or so to account for placebo effect and time/temp variations, and my assessment stands. I don't even know if this is a valid/related/expected outcome, I just know that it is.

- Ordered an assload of OE parts from ebay: carburetors, mirrors, reflectors, tool kit, speedo gear, etc. There are no sources for these things until another one dies. Didn't think it was all that rare, but was surprised to find mine is the second correct, non-promo pic returned in a google image search.

- There's a front-end teardown in my near future, so it could have waited, but I got antsy and stripped all the original crappy clear coat off the forks. Looks 100% better.

- Contemplating going to a MAC 4 into 1 megaphone. The stockers aren't all that wonderful on close inspection, and it ought to drop the curb weight, I dunno, 40 lbs? Swapping in F-model shocks was another suggestion made by early reviewers; might give it a shot if the length isn't radically different.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Marv Hushman posted:

- Contemplating going to a MAC 4 into 1 megaphone. The stockers aren't all that wonderful on close inspection, and it ought to drop the curb weight, I dunno, 40 lbs? Swapping in F-model shocks was another suggestion made by early reviewers; might give it a shot if the length isn't radically different.

I had a 4-1 on my bike when I bought it, basically a straight pipe with no baffles. It was loud as gently caress. Unbelievably loud. If you go aftermarket, keep the stock pipes. It was a bitch and a half to find correct F-model pipes when I replaced the aftermarket pipe it came with.

Also, I haven't done any coil mods.

What year and model is your bike again? I have a question for you involving RPMs/gearing that I haven't been able to get a straight answer for.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Rontalvos posted:

What year and model is your bike again? I have a question for you involving RPMs/gearing that I haven't been able to get a straight answer for.

'83 Nighthawk CB750SC. Interesting you should bring that up. I just bought the entire set of '82 Cycle World mags, and they do make some mention of the SC's sprocket differences, taller gearing, etc., as compared to the F, as well as the behemoth exhaust system's effect on performance. It's a 4-4, so I doubt I'd be able to retain anything--the only aftermarket offering at all that I'm aware of is Mac's 4-1.

What's the question?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Been in Europe for the last 5 weeks so haven't had a chance to take the bike out. Got in 6.30am yesterday morning and took the bike out around 11. Made sure to check the tires and it ran a bit rough for a while but it sure was good to get back out on the bike - even if it was only 10km.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Took it to 14,500 RPM. Good fun.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Well, the saga continues with incredibly sometimes running BMW. I took it out to a neighboring city today for a job thing (me cars also busted) and along the way it began overheating. I sat around IHOP for an hour to let it cool off, got back to my apartment... overheating. I have plenty of water in it, so that means I've got either a bad thermostat or a bad water pump. The fun never stops with the 20 something year old water cooled Bimmers.

In hind sight, I should of bought a loving airhead.

What have I done to my bike lately? I've cursed the piece of poo poo and its sweet sweet 3 cylinder.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Aargh posted:

Been in Europe for the last 5 weeks so haven't had a chance to take the bike out. Got in 6.30am yesterday morning and took the bike out around 11. Made sure to check the tires and it ran a bit rough for a while but it sure was good to get back out on the bike - even if it was only 10km.

Managed to go out a day later and ride one of my more enjoyable rides, down through the Royal National Park to Stanwell Park / Coalcliff and back.

Ah, the benefits of being unemployed, riding on the first day of spring in a mild 25°C

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Aargh posted:

Managed to go out a day later and ride one of my more enjoyable rides, down through the Royal National Park to Stanwell Park / Coalcliff and back.

Ah, the benefits of being unemployed, riding on the first day of spring in a mild 25°C
That whole area is a great place to drive/ride through even on a bad day, I try to go through there whenever I get the chance (albeit driving, not riding). Lucky we've still got places like that around!

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Got two sets of cockpit fairings for my bike in finally. Put the color matching one on. Feels great not absolutely hating the way my bike looks, although it's far from perfect.

When I get my front signals I'll remove the front black fade decals. Over the winter I'll get the front fairings patched up and painted black along with the front fender and maybe the front wheel. I may end up putting together another set of front fairings because all I need is a ride side piece.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Booked it in for a full service next week, and since I don't want my tax return to go to waste, bought a Driven 520 16/42 (-1 on the front) chain/sprocket kit to get fitted. Should pep it up nicely.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Bought a new chain and some sprockets, put them on, and went for a ride. Also spent the better part of 2 hours cleaning the thing until every bit shined like new, well, except for the rash from the previous owner and the rust spots...

I really wish I had the money to let someone else do the work for me, all the wrenching has lost it's fun.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Inspections and Registered again. New Tires, chain, sprockets, and pads. It was a good day!

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
Pulled old chain off, installed new front sprocket, went to install new rear, OldBikeBarn sent me the entirely wrong part. Cue frantic posting to local street riding board for possible places to pick one up locally. Supposed to be leaving on a 2,700-mile 2 week bike trip Sunday, the old sprocket is trashed, and I really don't want to bed in a new chain on a dangerously worn sprocket.

I'm slightly reassured by the fact that the sprocket I need cross-references to several other popular models (EX250, EN500, R6 & R1 w/ 520 conversions), so here's hoping for luck in the search tomorrow. :ohdear:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I learned (on my KLR) what it's like to ride a Harley with straight pipes.

I went out yesterday in search of some expansions for Carcassonne (which we play every weekend with the neighbors. Beer and Boardgames is good fun). On my way back from Southwest Plaza in Lakewood, CO, I was northbound on I-25, in the HOV lane. Etymotics in, groovin' to some Stephen Lynch, when all of a sudden the bike got REALLY REALLY LOUD.

It didn't feel weird, it was still running, it was just super loud. So, not wanting to have the neighbors come pick up my potentially non-running bike on the side of a busy freeway, with no ramp for the pickup available, I did what any good goon would do - I kept going. I was laughing my rear end off by the time I got home.

I passed a lady in a Honda Civic who had her window about 1/2 down. She covered her ear with her hand.
I had a guy in a topless, doorless Wrangler pacing me, staring.
I could see MANY people looking in their driver's side mirrors as I approached them in the fast lane.
I had a hot, HOT chick give me not the "Cool Dude On A Bike" look, but the "OMG WTF, Dude On A Bike?" look.
Then, as my offramp was coming up, I moved to the slow lane, and the hot chick and her hot friend passed me in the fast lane. I'm probably on YouTube someplace, as her friend had whipped out her cameraphone and was clearly taking a movie of my LOUD LOUD bike.

I got home and found what I'd suspected all along.

Time to upgrade, I guess!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I replaced my left blinker that broke in Hamburg a few weeks ago, and changed out bulb in my headlight. Doesn't sound like much, but it was the first time I had to consult the workshop manual. Go me!

Also removed my tank just to familiarize myself if I ever need to go there. Promptly pulled a tear in a fuel line, which forced me to shorten an already short fuel line. discovered I really, really hate hose clips.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Dove into the set of carbs I got on ebay; restoration game plan is a combo of Nero and DOHC forum wisdom, as well as my own previous experience. While carbs of unknown origin don't allow you to divine what's currently going on with your ride, they do offer:

1) Minimal downtime
2) Total disaster = I'm out $40 and (if mounted) have to swap back the originals
3) At worst, it's a dry run for the real deal; at best, the bike is transformed.

These Keihin quadruplets hail from Eden Valley, Minnesota. Bowl #4 was apparently used as an ash tray, while #1 was used as a spittoon. I've seen dead gas in just about all of its possible states, but gray ash was a new one on me. Don't have a good shot of it, unfortunately.

Pulled the tops and bottoms and threw the whole shebang into a Pine-Sol bath. This is after 3 hrs @ approx 80/20 PS/water solution with occasional agitation. IMHO, this is about perfect and where I should have pulled them out. Most web wisdom calls for 2-3 days undiluted; Marv's here to tell ya that's insane. This stuff eventually attacks, nay ERASES zinc coating. Notice the gold #3 butterfly adjustment bracket just left of center? Notice the now silver one on #4 to the left of it?

One bin per carb, one pill bottle ea for jets and easily lost items. I may opt for new fasteners; allen heads are typical replacements. I think it may be wise to invest in a Harbor Freight Box O' O-rings.

About the only concern I have thus far is air cutoff valves--carb #1's is supposed to be a good indicator of 2-4, and it's a mess. Replacement means breaking the rack apart. Bypassing them is technically possible without separation, but it's a bit kludgy. Full visual walk-through of the process here, 1/3 down:

http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10898&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=carb+cleaning&start=280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Marv Hushman posted:

What's the question?

My '80 750F, with the stock gearing (18/46) spins at about 6100rpm at 70mph. The internet says this should actually be 5200 or so.

My gears are stock and my tires are the correct size, and the only answer I can get is "man these bikes just spin fast, deal with it. oh, my identical bike? yeah that spins at like 5200 at 70mph, why do you ask?" which is not an answer and makes me want to murder everybody.

I know my speedometer under-reports my speed by about 6%, but if I'm going slightly faster than indicated, that shouldn't make for a nearly thousand RPM difference if I'm going 75 instead of 70.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.