Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

I always thought Sony owned Adaptation outright or did they just put out the DVD? I could ave sworn it had a columbia/sony logo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Lucas posted:

I always thought Sony owned Adaptation outright or did they just put out the DVD? I could ave sworn it had a columbia/sony logo on it.

You seem to have missed Egbert's little note on the last page, so to clarify:

Image is the distributor for Criterion's discs. They also own several movies. Sony has made a deal with them to distribute all their non-Criterion movies and TV shows going forward (most likely the TV shows - did you know Image owns the rights to Shark Week and The Twilight Zone?) in exchange for the license for Image to produce DVDs for some Sony-owned titles like Adaptation. and ...And Justice For All, very obviously through their partnership with Criterion (because why would it be part of a deal for Image otherwise?).

EDIT: Think of it as another part of Criterion getting stuff from studios they usually don't get stuff from until recently - like how they made a deal with Warner Bros. which is allowing them to get stuff like Stagecoach and the best prints available for most of Chaplin's stuff, and even access to Warner's restoration department.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 31, 2010

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Ohhhh, I see. Thanks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Cameo posted:

You seem to have missed Egbert's little note on the last page, so to clarify:

Image is the distributor for Criterion's discs. They also own several movies. Sony has made a deal with them to distribute all their non-Criterion movies and TV shows going forward (most likely the TV shows - did you know Image owns the rights to Shark Week and The Twilight Zone?) owned by Image in exchange for the license for Image to produce DVDs for some Sony-owned titles like Adaptation. and ...And Justice For All, very obviously through their partnership with Criterion (because why would it be part of a deal for Image otherwise?).

EDIT: Think of it as another part of Criterion getting stuff from studios they usually don't get stuff from until recently - like how they made a deal with Warner Bros. which is allowing them to get stuff like Stagecoach and the best prints available for most of Chaplin's stuff, and even access to Warner's restoration department.

Criterion has never worked with WB outside of their MPI division's work on The Red Shoes. Even in laserdisc, any titles were previously Turner-licensed. Stagecoach was a film licensed to Warner for a while before reverting to Caidin Films.

WB has always been this tightfisted with licensing. The most they've done is license a few shorts to Image for the Unseen Cinema box set and possibly rights to Harry Langdon silents to Kino.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I stand corrected on that, then V:shobon:V

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
I watched a couple episodes of The Simpsons season 13 last night and I gotta say, Fox did a pretty good job of exceeding expectations. Granted, they did this by setting expectations at rock bottom in the first place, but still. Glad I got it on BD rather than DVD.

Today UPS is bringing me The Evil Dead, The Red Riding Trilogy and Sons of Anarchy Season 2 :dance:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Masters of Cinema is offering a limited steelbook pre-order for Metropolis that comes with a free t-shirt. If you want one, I'd recommend ordering it 5 minutes ago.

quote:

Along side the standard DVD and Blu-ray editions we will be releasing a limited edition dual format Steelbook. Over the next 48 hours we are giving away a FREE Metropolis T-shirt with every pre-order for this very limited dual format release. T-Shirts will be shipped within 14 days and you will be guaranteed early delivery of the steelbook. The set comes with 3 discs, 1 x Blu-ray and 2 x DVD, special features are listed below.

This offer is strictly on a first come first served basis. Artwork for illustrative purposes only.

Metropolis Steelbook Special Features:
• 150-minute reconstructed and restored 2010 version (including 25 minutes of footage previously thought lost to the world)
• Separate DVD and BD editions with wraparound embossed sleeve, or Ltd Ed Steelbook Dual Format edition
• Pristine new HD transfer (1080p on Blu-ray)
• New 2010 symphony orchestra studio recording of the original 1927 Gottfried Huppertz score in 5.1
• Newly translated optional English subtitles as well as the original German intertitles
• Full-length audio commentary by David Kalat and Jonathan Rosenbaum
• Die Reise nach Metropolis (2010, 53 minutes), a documentary about the film
• 2010 re-release trailer
• 56-page booklet featuring archival interviews with Fritz Lang, a 1927 review by Luis Bu๑uel, articles by Jonathan Rosenbaum and Karen Naundorf, and restoration notes by Martin Koerber.
And more!

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/metrop.html

Remember that the UK release will be region B locked.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

Masters of Cinema is offering a limited steelbook pre-order for Metropolis that comes with a free t-shirt. If you want one, I'd recommend ordering it 5 minutes ago.

Thanks for posting this - ordered. Glad I checked the forums one last time before heading to campus.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
ฃ25. :ohdear:

It better be worth it!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Is it 100% confirmed Metropolis is locked? It doesn't look like Nick Wrigley confirmed it on CriterionForum.org yet, which is usually the first place to get such news.

Then again, they may just keep it under wraps since Kino's low-effort release is going to get cut into. Not MoC's fault considering Kino had a chance to do something this cool and they blew it.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 1, 2010

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
I just watched The Evil Dead (framed in 1.33) with the new commentary and it looked amazing. Seriously. This is one of those movies I've seen dozens of times each in every format. Starz did an amazing job here. The commentary itself is a LOT less about making fun of what goes on on screen and more about how difficult the shoot was and how much they learned about the film making process. After I make dinner I'm going to rewatch it with the surround sound track reframed in 1.85.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

^ Yeah, I'm not crazy about The Evil Dead, but that's about as perfect a transfer can get.

DVD Beaver on...

THX 1138
Forbidden Planet

Two more home runs for Warner. THX 1138 was processed by Lowry Digital from the original Techniscope negatives.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 1, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egbert Souse posted:

Is it 100% confirmed Metropolis is locked? It doesn't look like Nick Wrigley confirmed it on CriterionForum.org yet, which is usually the first place to get such news.

There's a Eureka rep who posts on blu-ray.com and I thought I had seen him say it would be region B, but I can't find the post. In fact he posted just yesterday that he can't comment on the region coding status for the release, so no it's not 100% confirmed. My bad.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

^ Yeah, I'm not crazy about The Evil Dead, but that's about as perfect a transfer can get.

DVD Beaver on...

THX 1138
Forbidden Planet

Two more home runs for Warner. THX 1138 was processed by Lowry Digital from the original Techniscope negatives.

Awesome. Feels like they were announced forever ago

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Sweet. I can't wait to see how Mars Attacks! looks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Screens of Evil Dead looks unreal. I think i've bought like 2-3 copies already but who cares. I bet it's worth it.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Screens of Evil Dead looks unreal. I think i've bought like 2-3 copies already but who cares. I bet it's worth it.

Yeah, the sound is great as well. I'm watching the 1.85-framed version now and the zoom is not as distracting as I thought (first time I've actually watched the widescreen version) and it's still very crisp and detailed (more detailed than I thought it would be, anyway). For $17.49 on Amazon you really can't go wrong. The only thing I wish they had included was previous commentaries from older releases.

Out of the 5 Starz/Anchor Bay releases I own, 2 of them are pretty incredible (Evil Dead and Hellraiser), 2 are drat good (Dawn of the Dead and Halloween), and the last is just "meh" (Evil Dead 2). That's a good track record.

Topper Harley fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 1, 2010

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I hope the free Metropolis t-shirt isn't your average circus tent (L or XL) that they use normally for giveaways. Not everyone is an overweight slob, thankyouverymuch!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Region locking unknown, I decided to take my chance. At worst, I can switch out the BluRay for Kino's within the case. $40 isn't that bad considering it's both formats, an awesome case, and a t-shirt. The Kino Blu is $25 itself, and $15 would be normal for the t-shirt by itself.

Starscream posted:

I hope the free Metropolis t-shirt isn't your average circus tent (L or XL) that they use normally for giveaways. Not everyone is an overweight slob, thankyouverymuch!

XL isn't bad considering they tend to shrink after the first wash and MoC is probably not using American Apparel premium tees.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Bought Metropolis, Worse case scenario is I make a slight change to my region-free Blu-Ray player before playback or I watch it on my PC with AnyDVD on it.

$40 is a bit steep but it does have a DVD copy along with the shirt and my old DVD copy was gotten for $35

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Beauty and the Beast $10 off coupon is active. Log in to your Disney Movie Rewards account and enter 786936171631 in the code input.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

A George Lucas movie remastered from the original negatives... :smith:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I stopped by Best Buy with 10 minutes to spare tonight after reading all the reports of this "Rich Mahogany" edition of Anchorman. The movie, bonus movie, and extras are all superb, right down to the trading cards. The grain doesn't overwhelm the picture at all, and seems to date the movie (not the setting) back to the 90s in a way that's better than if everything were smooth and shiny.

Finding Secretary for $10 was an instant double-dip for me, but the only improvements I'm noticing on the bluray are in people's (ok, Maggie Gyllenhaal's) hair and the brighter colors, which are totally worth an upgrade for me but I think anyone expecting a whole different movie should stick to dvd. It blows my mind to see Jeremy Davies pre-Lost, especially since his acting is still "Daniel Faraday mode." James Spader's whispering doesn't get any louder in the transition, but the subtitles are easier to read.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Starscream posted:

I emailed them about this and got a response saying they were planning on doing all larges, but they've received so many inquiries about sizing that they're discussing whether they can do anything about it. I sure hope so, cuz a large would be useless to me too.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

any update on whether the MoC Metropolis is region locked or not?
im THIS close to purchasing it but I wanted to make sure..

living in Canada, the DVDs would be PAL and unplayable regardless of the region, correct?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

friendo55 posted:

any update on whether the MoC Metropolis is region locked or not?
im THIS close to purchasing it but I wanted to make sure..

living in Canada, the DVDs would be PAL and unplayable regardless of the region, correct?

Every other MoC release I own is region B, and given the extreme likelihood of the new cut of Metropolis being given a release in the US soon I'd say it's almost a certainty that this one will be region locked too.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Noxville posted:

Every other MoC release I own is region B, and given the extreme likelihood of the new cut of Metropolis being given a release in the US soon I'd say it's almost a certainty that this one will be region locked too.

for some reason i was under the impression most MoC releases were region-free.. i must be thinking of a different company.. Kino perhaps?

nonetheless thanks for the reply.. i just really want that steelbook case & the 56 page booklet... $42 CAD is too much right? lol

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noxville posted:

Every other MoC release I own is region B

About half of their ~15 releases are region free, possibly more depending on what happens with Make Way for Tomorrow and Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

The fact that they're still uncertain about the region coding status over at Eureka may not actually be indicative of anything, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

About half of their ~15 releases are region free, possibly more depending on what happens with Make Way for Tomorrow and Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

The fact that they're still uncertain about the region coding status over at Eureka may not actually be indicative of anything, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

i'm thinking the pattern is whenever there's a simultaneous north american release, MoC locks their discs. In the case of the Sunrise blu I own, it was region free.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

friendo55 posted:

i'm thinking the pattern is whenever there's a simultaneous north american release, MoC locks their discs. In the case of the Sunrise blu I own, it was region free.

Soul Power was released in the US and the MoC disc is region free. Anyway, here is Eureka's official stance as of now:

quote:

We are not in a position where we can confirm 100%, as we don't yet know ourselves.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 1, 2010

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Soul Power was released in the US and the MoC disc is region free.

point taken.. lol and i just saw your edit..

ive been dancing around this for too long i might as well just order it and cross my fingers
if anything there's always eBay

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon is doing a buy 2, get $5 off on select Universal titles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...creative=390957

Not amazing but if you were planning to buy two of them anyways, it's better than nothing.

-------

Netflix is mailing me The Evil Dead tomorrow. Are the fullscreen/widescreen versions on the same disc?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spartacus: Blood and Sand Season 1 pre-order is down to $34.99 which is a drat good price for a tv show, let alone one of the better tv shows to come out of the past several years.

edit:

The Bridge on the River Kwai Collector's Edition pre-order is only 20.99. Note that the collector's edition contains a standalone digibook, so you can toss all the extra crap and still have a normal-looking package on your shelf if you buy this.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 2, 2010

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Sporadic posted:

Netflix is mailing me The Evil Dead tomorrow. Are the fullscreen/widescreen versions on the same disc?

Yeah, they're both on the same disc. When you choose to watch the movie it gives you the option to choose your aspect ratio.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Noxville posted:

I only have Sunrise, which is region free. City Girl is, too.

Nosferatu, Tabu, and Der Letze Mann, which are all licensed from Transit Film, are all listed as R2 on the cover, but the discs are actually R0.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

Space Fish posted:

It blows my mind to see Jeremy Davies pre-Lost, especially since his acting is still "Daniel Faraday mode." James Spader's whispering doesn't get any louder in the transition, but the subtitles are easier to read.

Have you seen the remake of Solaris? I'm pretty sure "Daniel Faraday mode" is the extent of his range.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Player reviewed
Sons of Anarchy Season 2 reviewed

edit: coming this holiday season...

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 2, 2010

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

They better release the last two separately. I'm getting too old to double dip this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

doctor thodt posted:

I like that the dynamite is helpfully labeled.

• Locked thread