Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

spf3million posted:

Why the gently caress does everyone add an extra e to the end of lens? I can let a few typos pass without comment but jesus, it's spelled "lense" so often that I'm questioning whether it's actually spelled "lens" at all. Am I actually the idiot who's misspelling it all the time?

I just swap between them, sometimes mid-paragraph. I like lense better, though, since that's how I've spelt it since I was a young'n.

On that note, I was telling an excellent story last weekend, in my own house, and this guy, one year older than me, invited by some acquaintance, stopped me and said "listen, sorry, it's actually "nickon", not "nighkon". Sorry, it was annoying me. Continue." and I just poo poo on him for 10 minutes or so until he was clenching and unclenching his fists, stood up and walked out.

Apparently he spent something like $60 on cab fare going home. What made him just stand up and walk out is when I turned off the music and quizzed him loudly on which dictionary we were supposed to use and like, ended up yelling drunkenly about y being e in old english and how we should be using a transcribed word list from the thirteenth century god knows we don't evolve so our language never should either.

I feel bad now, though. I should have just plied him with spiked drinks and pissed on him when he passed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Helmacron posted:

I feel bad now, though. I should have just plied him with spiked drinks and pissed on him when he passed out.

You say Nickon I say Nighkon, let's yell at each other until one of us leaves. How do you say bokeh? That's the normal photo nerd slap fight.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The actual proper proper way is more like "knee-cone".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Helmacron posted:

I just swap between them, sometimes mid-paragraph. I like lense better, though, since that's how I've spelt it since I was a young'n.

On that note, I was telling an excellent story last weekend, in my own house, and this guy, one year older than me, invited by some acquaintance, stopped me and said "listen, sorry, it's actually "nickon", not "nighkon". Sorry, it was annoying me. Continue." and I just poo poo on him for 10 minutes or so until he was clenching and unclenching his fists, stood up and walked out.

Apparently he spent something like $60 on cab fare going home. What made him just stand up and walk out is when I turned off the music and quizzed him loudly on which dictionary we were supposed to use and like, ended up yelling drunkenly about y being e in old english and how we should be using a transcribed word list from the thirteenth century god knows we don't evolve so our language never should either.

I want to party with you.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Helmacron posted:

Seriously - where the gently caress do you live - we need to drink tequila.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Australians always say nick-on but I dont think anyone actually knows the proper way to say it.

Nor do we give a poo poo.

Unless an american says nigh kon then we will just argue for the sake of it. loving americans.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I imagine a future in which the ipod can be slotted into the back of a apple-manufactured camera and used as a wireless screen for live view, image storage and remote control.

And you can only access your photos via iTunes.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Nikon's own television adverts in the Western markets pronounce it Nigh Con. It is Knee Con in native Japanese.

Not unlike lense, which is probably the British spelling.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I'm in the market for a good Crumpler bag and while their American website looks informative their British website is so loving indie

http://www.crumpler.co.uk

Tincans fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 2, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Tincans posted:

I'm in the market for a good Crumpler bag and while their American website looks informative their British website is so loving indie

http://www.crumpler.co.uk

Their old Australian website (they're originally from Fitzroy in Melbourne I think) was a massive toilet where one could pull the handle to flush the page clean and make farting noises, girlfriends love it :v:.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

pwn posted:

Nikon's own television adverts in the Western markets pronounce it Nigh Con. It is Knee Con in native Japanese.

Not unlike lense, which is probably the British spelling.

Not as far as I'm aware!

We need to perpetuate typos and misspellings when it comes to camera equipment so I can one day find an ebay auction for a cannon 24-70 eff2.8 lense for next to nothing

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Helmacron posted:

To confuse your detractors just claim it's proto-Germanic or something. In fact the German word for lens is Linse.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Why hasn't this caught on yet? 1$ image stabilizer for any camera!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlJl7TbXTA

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

ease posted:

mostly because it doesn't really work

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
It's loving retarded.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I think you would be more likely to shake the camera trying to keep tension on the string than if you were just concentrating on not shaking the camera.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I just tried two shots at 1 second, first holding the camera normally, then using the strap sort of like that, and it made a noticeable improvement.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Yeah it actually does help stability quite a bit because the tension on the string not only braces the camera to a consistent height but also helps you keep the camera at a fairly consistent orientation. Obviously it's not as good as a tripod or even a monopod but in a pinch it's better than nothing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The likely-to-have-it-when-you-need-it factor is important too. A monopod that's back in the car provides no stabilization.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ease posted:

It's been around for a long time, I think I first came across it in a book I was reading from the 50's or 60's.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Also, a friend of mine started this site (http://shutterspike.com/) a little while ago as a resource for people to share local shooting locations. Please feel free to goonrush it with useful content.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's a little E/N, hopefully nobody minds.

I'm really bummed out with photography lately.

It's the equipment. I know the saying is "it's not the equipment but the photographer that makes the image great", but having lovely equipment definitely hinders.

My two lenses are a 28mm f/2.8 and 70-200 f/4, both manual focus and ridiculously soft at anything wider than f/8. The 28mm is a lens I can't complain too much about because it has tight focus at least, but the 70-200 is the range I find myself shooting most. Being manual focus is more of a pain than I had ever imagined, and the fact that the lens is push/pull means that it drops out of focus and zoom creeps at the drop of a hat.

It's a lot of little things, but the all add up to an extremely frustrating shooting experience. I don't really have fun anymore because I feel like I'm fighting the equipment.

I can easily remedy this by investing in some autofocus lenses, but I have absolutely no faith in Pentax's future so that's right out. My plan right now is to just dump the entire setup and go with a Nikon D90 + kit and work myself up to a nice setup with lenses I'll never need to replace. It's all a matter of money. So until I can scrape enough together, I'm almost afraid to go out shooting these days because it's so demoralizing.

The worst part of all this is that this setup has completely ruined the manual focus experience for me. I have a Mamiya 645 that I rarely feel like taking out anymore because I'm so jaded on the whole man-focus experience. I know that's a stupid thing to say because the 645 was designed for mf and all, but I can't help myself.

I kind of feel like I need to maybe switch subjects for now, go shooting some waterfalls or landscapes that are more doable with the setup I have. I think that's what I'm going to try to focus on. It's just so lame feeling like you're handicapped by your equipment when all you see around you is opportunity.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Why on earth don't you have at least a 50mm f/1.8 with autofocus?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HPL posted:

Why on earth don't you have at least a 50mm f/1.8 with autofocus?

I can't really justify sinking any more money into the existing setup :\

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Ditching your Pentax kit (don't know which body it is) won't get you enough money to reinvest in a different line up, fyi. This is especially the case if you're shooting with manual focus lenses. The FA line is seriously great bang for the buck, but their prices have gone up a lot in the past few years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I'm not under the impression that I can recoup the cost to switch systems. It's just going to be a cost I'll have to eat. Body is the K10D. It should at least recoup enough to put a dent in the price of a new body though.

And on the upside, at least I get to hang out with friends on photowalks and stuff. It's not all bad at least :haw:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Maybe because he said he is using Pentax and doesn't want to spend money on an AF lens because he know he is going to switch brand soon? :v:

Check out canon too, 40D has a tough body, live view and nice AF. All for around 500 bucks used. Their 50mm 1.8 AF is also dirt cheap.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I use my K10D to loan out to friends. That's about as much use as it gets nowadays.

I'd look into FA lenses that come up on pentaxforums marketplace as there's typically reasonable deals to be had. FA zooms are pretty cheap and sharp (I got my FA telephoto for $40 that was lost somewhere in a ritz camera and have no complaints except it's not fast). If having slow, non-AF glass is your issues then you might be able to fix that for cheaper than a switch over unless you just want to borrow lenses from friends.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Long lens can be a bitch to manual focus with though :/ especially if you have a non fullframe viewfinder without microprism.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I feel the same way with my D40, autofocus is so indecisive I just don't bother most of the time.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

Got a Fotodiox Nikon to EOS adapter and borrowed a 80-200 f2.8 telephoto that no one uses from work:

I have really got to start buying GOOD glass... My cheapo EF 70-300 non IS or USM tele can't do anything this sharp.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

especially now when the target resolution for most pictures wouldn't exceed whatever limits are on facebook or myspace. You don't even really need more than 5 mpix for that.

I used to make 4x6 prints from my iPhone v1 and they looked fine.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

brad industry posted:

I used to make 4x6 prints from my iPhone v1 and they looked fine.

Yeah, exactly. There isn't really a "need" for consumer cameras beyond maybe this or even like you say the last generation of cellphone cameras.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Haven't seen it here, but some silliness:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/04/iphone-4-gets-stuffed-inside-canon-slr-body/

Is it wrong of me that I'm almost infuriated that somebody would go through all that, and repeatedly call it a Cannon camera.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Should I feel guilty for gratuitous use of the vibrance and clarity settings in Lightroom? In most shots I keep cranking former up like god knows what (plus some saturation attenuation on certain colors) and latter one also quite a bit. It's kinda cheating, but enough shots kinda look better to me like that :shobon:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Should I feel guilty for gratuitous use of the vibrance and clarity settings in Lightroom? In most shots I keep cranking former up like god knows what (plus some saturation attenuation on certain colors) and latter one also quite a bit. It's kinda cheating, but enough shots kinda look better to me like that :shobon:

I felt the same way, but with some time and experience (and critique from here via PAD and some lightweight photo courses), I have dialed back on them and I'm even trying to experiment some more in the opposite direction with some low desaturation. Definitely know where you are coming from, though, and I'll still make liberal use of my good slider friends for the right shots.

Question for everyone: I've spent a lot of time scouring for Lightroom presets, and now have an immense collection of which only 4-5 are any good, and everything seems like an eyesore. Do you guys have any particular favourite general purpose or specific use presets, as opposed to general collections of presets? Anyone care to share? Can post a couple of mine when I'm back at my home Lightroom installation. Had some good luck with this one, plus a bit of tinkering to lower the vignette/recovery.

http://x-equals.com/blog/?p=262

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 4, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Shmoogy posted:

Is it wrong of me that I'm almost infuriated that somebody would go through all that, and repeatedly call it a Cannon camera.

That was first thing I saw too, but I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't spend so much time in this forum.

And for content: http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/

I wouldn't actually mind staging a photo like this.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Speaking of DIY image stabilization, I'm thinking about getting a head holding gyro for an RC helicopter, attaching a screw that will thread into the tripod screw. Maybe cram it into a hollowed out battery grip.

Also, I'm noticing a couple of Forums Cancer avatars in The Dorkroom belonging to people who actually contribute here, and if you find it's impeding your browsing experience, add this to Firefox's usercontent.css file or get the Personalized Web extension for chrome and add it:

td.postbody .cancerous { opacity: 1 !important; }

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shmoogy posted:

That also annoy me much more than it should.

Even more than the silliness of combining all the bad points of an iphone with all the bad points on a DSLR. That I don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Martytoof posted:

I can't really justify sinking any more money into the existing setup :\

Yeah, it would have been fine a couple of years ago before the 50/1.4 doubled in price ($200 > $400), but it just seems their lenses haven't been updated in ages.

I think they're going to announce a new body at Photokina, though.