Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

TC the Giant posted:

My understanding is that VLF comms are usually reserved for the most basic messages. Beacons for navigation, simple instructions, stuff like that. The antennas for transmitting on those freqs are enormous, which really limits their uses.

Pretty much this. Not normally one to push Wikipedia but this page actually does a good job breaking down longwave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwave

The VLF comms with submarines do take enormous antennas (like 20 miles long!) and they are data transmitted extremely slowly because of the super narrow bandwidth used make it through. They don't use VLF for fun, those super long wavelengths are what it takes to get a signal deep underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

JammyLammy posted:

edit: Because of how old the book is, some of this information is outdated and sort of makes me sad that I can't use it :( It mentioned using 1700-1800 can (was) able to pick up old cordless phone calls, this sounds like it could be hilarious to listen to. Doubt anyone uses cordless house phones these days though.

Unfortunately, if you're in the US any radio or scanner made after 1994 has those frequencies blocked along with any frequencies used for the old analog cellular phones.

It's actually unnecessary these days since analog cellular service isn't active any longer and most cordless phones are using digital spread spectrum to prevent eavesdropping.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigHustle posted:

Unfortunately, if you're in the US any radio or scanner made after 1994 has those frequencies blocked along with any frequencies used for the old analog cellular phones.

It's actually unnecessary these days since analog cellular service isn't active any longer and most cordless phones are using digital spread spectrum to prevent eavesdropping.

Up until a few years ago, I could usually find a 900Mhz phone call within a couple minutes with my scanner. I haven't tried recently but so many people are doing away with their landlines now, and I don't think you can even buy 900MHz phones anymore.

As a kid in the early 2000s there was usually two or three calls I could pick up at any given time in the 900MHz range. I'd listen to them quite a bit and started recording the "good" ones. The voyeurism aspect of scanners was actually what got me into radio in the first place. As I got older it started to feel a little creepy so I stopped.

The oddest one I ever heard was a woman who apparently had a stroke while she was on the phone.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Better ways I can improve my speaker wire antenna?

Basically radio is next to window, a long (~40 feet of speaker wire) is attached to the antenna using an alligator clip. The wire goes out the window, then up to a window in the attic, where its just ducktaped to the wood beams in the ceiling. Wire is going inward into the attic.

It boosted signals and I'm actually picking up things from inside the house, however I'm getting TONS of interference, its very hard to get just one station coming in when I'm getting static and stations from other freq. bleeding in.

What can I do to improve this?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

JammyLammy posted:

Better ways I can improve my speaker wire antenna?

Basically radio is next to window, a long (~40 feet of speaker wire) is attached to the antenna using an alligator clip. The wire goes out the window, then up to a window in the attic, where its just ducktaped to the wood beams in the ceiling. Wire is going inward into the attic.

It boosted signals and I'm actually picking up things from inside the house, however I'm getting TONS of interference, its very hard to get just one station coming in when I'm getting static and stations from other freq. bleeding in.

What can I do to improve this?

If you're using a random wire antenna, really the only things you can do to improve the signal quality are to make sure that your antenna isn't grounding to any metal, make sure that it's not running parallel to any power lines, and when listening to the radio make sure that you have any fluorescent lights or anything with a power supply is away from you. I know I had interference with my radio when I had the lights on or had my netbook plugged into the wall and nearby.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Got an alarm clock and laptop plugged in next to it =/

Would it be worth just putting down the money and getting one of these

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3680209

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

JammyLammy posted:

Got an alarm clock and laptop plugged in next to it =/

Would it be worth just putting down the money and getting one of these

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3680209

I haven't used one, but a lot of people like them. Loops knock out all kinds of external interference, but you have to retune them whenever you change frequencies for optimum performance.

Oh... You might want to save a couple bucks and buy the Kaito branded model from Amazon instead.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

BigHustle posted:

I haven't used one, but a lot of people like them. Loops knock out all kinds of external interference, but you have to retune them whenever you change frequencies for optimum performance.

Oh... You might want to save a couple bucks and buy the Kaito branded model from Amazon instead.

Ordered, and free 2-day shipping via free prime :) Thanks

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Ooh, this thread!

The buzzer's stopped again.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was it a coordinated effort with the guy who is holding the Discovery Channel hostage?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Was it a coordinated effort with the guy who is holding the Discovery Channel hostage?

Well, I went home with a waitress
The way I always do
How was I to know
She was with the Russians, too?

I grabbed a hostage in Discovery
I took a little risk
Send lawyers, guns and money
Dad, get me out of this

I'm an innocent bystander
but somehow I got stuck
Between a rock and a hard place
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck

Now I'm hiding in an office
I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns and money
The whale poo poo has hit the fan

Send lawyers, guns and money...

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

BigHustle posted:

Warren Zevon fuckery.

I... I love you. :3:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

JammyLammy posted:

Ordered, and free 2-day shipping via free prime :) Thanks
FYI, that design usually works really well on MW, but not on SW.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

nmfree posted:

FYI, that design usually works really well on MW, but not on SW.

:smith: Well, it should come in handy for MW then. drat, whenever I look around I can never seem to get a definitive answer =/ I found some sites on building loop antenna for shortwave, I guess I could give those a try.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

JammyLammy posted:

:smith: Well, it should come in handy for MW then. drat, whenever I look around I can never seem to get a definitive answer =/ I found some sites on building loop antenna for shortwave, I guess I could give those a try.

MAGNETIC LOOP. MAGNETIC LOOP. BUILD A MAGNETIC LOOP. YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID. LINK IN THE OP.

Seriously, it is so easy to build and it works so loving well there's no excuse not to.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Err, thats what I was referring to about the ones I found. Alright, goon project this weekend.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

AstroZamboni posted:

I... I love you. :3:

It was either that or 'Symphony of Destruction'. Warren seemed the more obvious choice.

JammyLammy posted:

Alright, goon project this weekend.

A good source for the variable capacitor listed in the instructions is a thrift store like the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Grab an old AM clock radio with a dial tuner and you should be good to go.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

JammyLammy posted:

While the Degen DE31 Antenna is nothing amazing, its cheap as gently caress on ebay and folds up to take up zero room when you are not using it. I found in my case it worked better than my homemade mag loop. I tossed my mag loop away, it takes up too much space for me.

java
May 7, 2005

So finally a reason to post in this thread again. I was listening to UVB-76 tonight, sounds like it had some new Morse code along with some music. I'm sure that it's going to turn out that this is somehow part of a viral marketing campaign.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

The Buzzer, with "The Swan's Lake" and with an OM counting live!

This is my first post after a long time. My excitement for what's going on motivated me to finally quit my long silence.

The Buzzer (S28) stopped transmitting two days ago. Since then, several people confirmed its absence. Yesterday I found (among with others) that the familiar buzzing sound was back again.

Moments ago (4625 USB, 1834z), I was lucky to hear a test transmission from S28! An OM counting in Russian, then the buzzing sound and "The Swan's Lake"!

Here is the recording! Enjoy!

The web page http://www.uvb-76.net/ has a live feed from 4625 kHz.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
So if one want to start getting into QSLing. What the proper information does one need?

Listening to 5985 khz right now, can't understand a word of it (Don't speak chinese) but I'm fairly certain its this station http://www.schoechi.de/az-brm.html

I'm guessing for starters I need to get my license and some callsigns =/

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
To get a QSL card from a station, all you need is paper, an envelope, and a stamp. In the past I've written in with the frequency and time I was listening, the quality of the signal, and usually some commentary on the program. Both China Radio International and Radio Turkey sent me back a postcard (more in the case of China.) In both cases I actually emailed in my QSL report, but for something like Radio Myanmar you may need to use snail mail, possibly including a reply coupon.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Hate to double-post, but just for the benefit of the guy who asked about QSL cards, I figured I'd come back and post some examples. Inspired to start collecting QSL cards again, I found the Radio Havana signal, as it's pretty reliable and clear. Here's what I sent out via email:

quote:

Radio Havana Cuba:

QSL Report
Frequency: 5970 kHz
Time: 0420-0440 GMT

At 0420, RHC was in the middle of a news report. The plight of the "Cuban Five" in the US was reported on. A speech given by Fidel Castro at the University in Havana was partially replayed and translated. After the speech from Castro, there was a report on sports from around the world. At 0430, there was a brief musical break. At the conclusion of the break, news from North America and around the world was presented.

The signal I received was generally good. Listening on a small radio with a poor antenna, the signal was listenable and uninterrupted for the entire time I was listening, and is much stronger than other shortwave stations.

If your station mails out QSL response cards, I can be reached at:
[ADDRESS]

Yours,

--[me]

This morning, this was already in my inbox:

quote:

Dear [me]:

Thank you very much for the nice report of our English language broadcast this past evening.
The 5970 kiloHertz frequency is beaming to your area of North America, while the 6000 kiloHertz frequency is beamed more to the East. We call the two antennas ¨ the Chicago beam ¨ with the azimuth of the antenna beam centered on 348 degrees , and the ¨Washington - New York - Boston ¨ beam with the center of the antenna pattern at 010 degrees. With the present short wave propagation conditions , the night time transmissions to North America can only be done reliably on the 6 megaHertz or 49 meters band, something that will hopefully improve as solar cycle 24 becomes more active, so the number of sunspots increases to make possible reaching North America on the 31 and 25 meters band at night, where reception is much better because there is less man made noise picked up on those two bands ( 9.4 to 9.9 is 31 meters and 11.6 to 12.1 is 15 meters ) I invite you to listen to my radio hobby show Dxers Unlimited, that will go on the air Sunday evening , just after the top of the hour newscast.

73 and DX , as ham radio operators say when ending a two way contact

YOurs truly

Arnie Coro
Host of Dxers Unlimited radio hobby program
Radio Havana Cuba

Hopefully that means a QSL card is on its way. Another example, for present and future would-be QSL collectors:

quote:

QSL Report for Voice of Turkey
Broadcasting on 6040 kHz
28 February 2010

Began listening at 0413 UTC
Some news from Turkey, not yet able to hear the program clearly.

News was followed by the "Let's learn Turkish" program. The subject was how to introduce your family in conversation.

This was followed by a description of the history and architecture of a mosque in Istanbul, which was built after the conquest of Istanbul. Of special note was the courtyard of the mosque, which is especially beautiful.

Music followed at 0428 UTC

Question of the month - Council of Europe
Which Turkish politician has assumed the Presidency of the Council of Europe

Station Identification

Music played until the final station signoff at 0450 UTC.

Overall the signal was very clear, though another station did bleed over from time to time. All speakers could be heard clearly for the duration of the program.

--[name]
[Address]

What I got back:

Click here for the full 640x478 image.

Not technically related to QSL cards, last night while just hitting the scan button I found what I *think* is Radio Tunis on 7275 kHz right before 0500 GMT. All I could get was some singing, followed by something in what sounded like French. It's far and away the most distant find I've gotten with just my whip antenna... now to build a mag loop!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

JammyLammy posted:

So if one want to start getting into QSLing. What the proper information does one need?

Listening to 5985 khz right now, can't understand a word of it (Don't speak chinese) but I'm fairly certain its this station http://www.schoechi.de/az-brm.html

I'm guessing for starters I need to get my license and some callsigns =/

That was actually China Radio International being relayed by Okeechobee, Florida's WYFR (Family Radio). CRI leases some time from WYFR for the stronger signal in the United States.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Radio Nowhere posted:

That was actually China Radio International being relayed by Okeechobee, Florida's WYFR (Family Radio). CRI leases some time from WYFR for the stronger signal in the United States.

That explains why it was coming in with a strong signal. I guess googling frequency isn't the best way of getting station id's. How do you figure out stuff like that?

edit: Well, time to write down the parts list for the loop and get them at lowes.

double edit: The loop guy in the link in the OP could stand to give better directions =/

JammyLammy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 4, 2010

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

JammyLammy posted:

That explains why it was coming in with a strong signal. I guess googling frequency isn't the best way of getting station id's. How do you figure out stuff like that?

I use Shortwave Info. You can search by radio station to see when broadcasts take place or enter a frequency to see what's broadcasting at that moment in time. It's nice since it shows you the frequencies around what you searched for as well as shows a map of the transmitter locations.

Most of the foreign broadcasts I picked up when I was living in Jersey were rebroadcasts coming out of Radio Canada's Sackville, ON transmitter site or Family Radio's Okeechobee, FL transmitter like Radio Nowhere mentioned. The only exceptions I really came across were Radio Havana coming out of Cuba, the Atencion numbers station also coming from Cuba, and a station (Radio Algerienne, maybe?) that was broadcasting Quran calls out of southern France.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

JammyLammy posted:

That frequency I just knew from experience, it is either Family Radio or CRI coming from that transmitter in Florida.

Here's one I like,

http://www.geocities.jp/binewsjp/bia10.txt @ http://www.worldofradio.com/

Glenn Hauser does that "World of Radio" program many shortwave stations carry. His on-air presentation is dry but it's crammed full of shortwave information and changes. Just F3 your frequency on that list and narrow it down to the time (in GMT) and language you're hearing. Nothing is 100% in shortwave but this comes pretty close since it's constantly updated.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Alright, maybe you guys can help me with this. I finally made the Magnetic Loop (http://www.kr1st.com/swlloop.htm) took a shorter amount of time then I thought. I played around with mine, and not sure if its working though =/ The guy left some parts vague, so hopefully someone can help me.

1) Duct Tape doesn't insulate? I'm having that to hold the outer circle, until I get something small and wood to put between the ends.

2) The coupling loop. Does the wire need to be bare or tubbed? The instructions he has are leaving me a bit confused. So I take the wire, make it a circle (does it need to be a complete circle with both ends touching?), then the end of the wire goes into the phone plug and that into the external antenna hole of the G3?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

JammyLammy posted:

Alright, maybe you guys can help me with this. I finally made the Magnetic Loop (http://www.kr1st.com/swlloop.htm) took a shorter amount of time then I thought. I played around with mine, and not sure if its working though =/ The guy left some parts vague, so hopefully someone can help me.

1) Duct Tape doesn't insulate? I'm having that to hold the outer circle, until I get something small and wood to put between the ends.

2) The coupling loop. Does the wire need to be bare or tubbed? The instructions he has are leaving me a bit confused. So I take the wire, make it a circle (does it need to be a complete circle with both ends touching?), then the end of the wire goes into the phone plug and that into the external antenna hole of the G3?

The house wire for the coupling loop needs to be bare, and the ends of the coupling loop are isolated from one another. It must NOT be a closed loop with the ends touching. If they are in contact anywhere, then the circuit of the coupling loop is shorted and won't pick up doodly squat from the main loop.

The ends of the wire for the coupling loop attach (one end each) to the core and braid of a standard coax cable. Coax is specifically mentioned in the instructions for your feedline for a reason. It works better than anything else for this application. You can get a coax to 1/8" mono phone plug adapter at radio shack so you don't have to wire up your own phone plug.

As for the connections between the wiring of the tuning capacitor and the copper coil and between the coupling loop and the coax, make sure you thoroughly clean and solder the connections. Don't use clamps, alligator clips or crimp connections. Also, make sure none of the prongs on the tuning capacitor contact the main loop. Consequently, make sure the coupling loop is not in direct contact with the main loop.

Hope this helps!

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 7, 2010

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
That clears up alot of things, thanks :) Just some last minute items.

AstroZamboni posted:

Also, make sure none of the prongs on the tuning capacitor contact the main loop.

Other then the connections mentioned in the guide, right?

And just to make sure I got the coupling part right. I use the #14 house wire, strip it bare then make the circle with it. One end is just hanging loose (insulated and not making contact with anything) while the other end goes into sometype of connector that makes connection with a coax cable. Right?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

JammyLammy posted:

Other then the connections mentioned in the guide, right?

And just to make sure I got the coupling part right. I use the #14 house wire, strip it bare then make the circle with it. One end is just hanging loose (insulated and not making contact with anything) while the other end goes into sometype of connector that makes connection with a coax cable. Right?

Yeah, you definitely want to wire up the connections mentioned in the instructions. If it connects anywhere else, it shorts.

As for the second part, I think there's something seriously amiss. 14 gauge house wire wouldn't have insulation on it. Did you get #14 electrical braid?

14 gauge house wire in this case is referring to galvanized steel wire, also called utility wire. You're looking for something like this. It is a bare, stiff steel wire of a single filament, not a braid.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 7, 2010

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

AstroZamboni posted:

Yeah, you definitely want to wire up the connections mentioned in the instructions. If it connects anywhere else, it shorts.

As for the second part, I think there's something seriously amiss. 14 gauge house wire wouldn't have insulation on it. Did you get #14 electrical braid?

14 gauge house wire in this case is referring to galvanized steel wire, also called utility wire. You're looking for something like this. It is a bare, stiff steel wire of a single filament, not a braid.

Welp, looks like I need to stop at radioshack again. Have the wrong wire =/ Hopefully thats the last thing I'm missing.

So, replace the wire that I'm using, loop it, insulate. Then the last step I got is to connect that to the coaxial cable. (got the coaxial cable and the proper phone plug) Is there a connector for wire -> coaxial? The people at radioshack had no idea.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

No. You need to solder one end of the loop to the coax core, and the other end to the coax braid. You need to cut a coax cable to do this. It isn't hard.

Also, you won't find the galvanized steel wire at Radio Shack. You'll need to go to a hardware store to get it.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

AstroZamboni posted:

No. You need to solder one end of the loop to the coax core, and the other end to the coax braid. You need to cut a coax cable to do this. It isn't hard.

Also, you won't find the galvanized steel wire at Radio Shack. You'll need to go to a hardware store to get it.

Ah, I see now. :)

So strip part of the tubing off one end of the coaxial cable.

Click here for the full 705x493 image.

Solder one end of the loop to part B and solder the other end to part D. Should hopefully be able to get this up and done by tonight when I get back from classes. Thanks for the help.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

JammyLammy posted:

Ah, I see now. :)

So strip part of the tubing off one end of the coaxial cable.

Click here for the full 705x493 image.

Solder one end of the loop to part B and solder the other end to part D. Should hopefully be able to get this up and done by tonight when I get back from classes. Thanks for the help.

Precisely. To attach the other end of the coax (the one that still has an RF connector) to your radio, just use one of these.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
The coax cable didn't have a copper colour to it on the mesh...

Regardless, I got it done :neckbeard: I'd take pictures but I don't have a camera. Whats the best way to test it and make sure everything is working properly?

Thanks for the help :) Feel bad for the other people who must be thinking something major updated when its just Astro helping me while I gently caress around with this stuff.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

The best way to test it is to tune in a weak station without the antenna, then plug it in and twiddle the tuning capacitor knob until the signal is strongest. If the tuning capacitor knob makes no difference, then there's something wonky somewhere and its time to troubleshoot.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

For those of you who do utility monitoring, the NOAA has put up the new Worldwide Marine Radiofax Broadcast Schedule.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
The Radio Shack is clearing out their Grundig 6 stock now. According to their website the radio is now $70 (regular price $100). Some newer radio is going to take its place, probably the S450. If you're real lucky a nearby shack still has a Grundig G5 in stock, the $150 radio has been on clearance at $40 for awhile. I bought one a few months ago, amazing radio if you can find it at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Hadn't a clue about this thread, and found it when googling about fixing a crooked Grundig G3 knob. I bought it not too long ago at Frys, but their only other stock is an open box/refurb mystery one so I can't really return it for an immediate exchange. Is there a simple fix that someone knows about? I'm anxious about prodding and pulling it, fearing I'll hear some plastic crack and know I just boned my chance to get Eton support. If not, I'll just send them an email. It'd be a pain to have to go through a big swap routine just for something so mundane. Maybe I'll just return it and find it online somewhere.

Turning the knob like a maniac while running through frequencies would be a little nicer if each revolution I didn't have the wheel rubbing into the casing like a wobbly car tire squeaking into the bodywork.

• Locked thread