Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Captain von Trapp posted:

"Oh COME ON?! A broken heart?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Slantedfloors posted:

This has always been my favourite.

Sure, Vader kills officers when they annoy him, but he's down with the grunts! He supports the troops!

(isn't there an empire version of :911:?)

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 2, 2010

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

(isn't there an empire version of :911:?)

There's an emoticon of Thrawn shedding a tear in front of the Imperial logo, it's not an official one, but I know I saw it in the last version of the thread.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Cross-posting this from TBB, just feel like it was appropriate.

Ensign_Ricky's Summary of Death Troopers

Part 1.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Death Troopers wasn't bad, just aggressively mediocre. A derelict Star Destroyer with creepy poo poo happening onboard is a great setup for a horror story. Shame it was wasted on some stupid "Han and Chewie fought zombie stormtroopers before they met Luke" tripe.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
You know, The EU is basically glorified fanfiction.

That being said, if, by some amazing coincidence, you were offered a chance to write an EU story, would you do it? You KNOW everyone has said "Well I could do better..." at some point.

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

That being said, if, by some amazing coincidence, you were offered a chance to write an EU story, would you do it? You KNOW everyone has said "Well I could do better..." at some point.

In a heartbeat. It would probably suck.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Mister Roboto posted:

I just happen to have some outlines here...

Although, honestly, I'm not sure. During the Bantam Spectra days, in a heartbeat. In the current EU, I'm not as sure that I could even work with the universe as it stands, plus I haven't kept up with it, anyway.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mister Roboto posted:

Troy Denning is the one I could say is very much overtly doing just that, actually, treating it all as his own personal playground and saying "well I could do better..." but he can't.

Most of the rest have either too few entries to establish a pattern or actually have some reverence for working in the franchise.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sure, Vader kills officers when they annoy him, but he's down with the grunts! He supports the troops!

I like the Scout Troopers pose. He is down with it the most.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mister Roboto posted:

Sure, assuming I was allowed to do so without including anyone who ever appeared in the films.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Sure, assuming I was allowed to do so without including anyone who ever appeared in the films.

This. I think this is the make or break point for a lot of people, and its one of the things that made me stop reading EU. Good goddamn Han Luke and Leia don't need to be in every story. Its a huge galaxy and there are a lot of stories I read where they just don't fit and it drags the whole thing down.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I still want to write my GCW story where a plucky band of Rebels have to team up with s few stormtrooper to escape a planet being bombarded by an over zealous Star Destroyer.

Really I would kill for some EU books written during the GCW. Not before, Not after. During.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

Really I would kill for some EU books written during the GCW. Not before, Not after. During.

I can't think of a better way to really ensure "all Han/Luke/Leia, all the time."

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.

Throb Robinson posted:

I still want to write my GCW story where a plucky band of Rebels have to team up with s few stormtrooper to escape a planet being bombarded by an over zealous Star Destroyer.

And in the end, the stormtroopers take off their costumes and it turns out it was Han, Luke and Leia in disguise the whole time!

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Slantedfloors posted:

Is it actual names?

I got up to "Chatinh" on one of them

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Throb Robinson posted:

I'd totally read the gently caress out of that book.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd totally read the gently caress out of that book.

Maybe Allegiance #3. Somebody go pitch this to Zahn.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
This might be a really stupid question, but that's never, ever stopped me before. At the end of RotS, when Palpatine used his Force Lightning and it fried him and made his skin all icky and his voice... pretty darn cool to be honest, anyway when he talked like that, were digital effects used on his voice, or did actor Ian McDiarmid do it himself?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Gynovore posted:

This might be a really stupid question, but that's never, ever stopped me before. At the end of RotS, when Palpatine used his Force Lightning and it fried him and made his skin all icky and his voice... pretty darn cool to be honest, anyway when he talked like that, were digital effects used on his voice, or did actor Ian McDiarmid do it himself?

McDiarmid supposedly did it himself. I believe him.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

NGL posted:

McDiarmid supposedly did it himself. I believe him.

The only thing in RotS that wasn't digital :laugh:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Gynovore posted:

I don't know about during the frying, but afterward they almost certainly did something to add a throaty rumble to poo poo like "A powerful Sith you will become..."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Reading the OP I'm surprised at how much of this I already knew, despite not really following Star Wars outside of the films. I think I even have an EU book somewhere at my parents' place from years ago (at the very least, the names of Han and Leia's kids are familiar); I remember it had some gold on the cover as well as a Wookie?
Also, I can't remember when Jango Fett ever killed a Jedi, unless it was just a throwaway shot with some random goober Jedi in Episode II- help me out?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yeah, some random goober Jedi showed up to kill christopher lee, and Jango shot him and he died. So much for all that Jedi training eh?!

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

C-Euro posted:

Reading the OP I'm surprised at how much of this I already knew, despite not really following Star Wars outside of the films. I think I even have an EU book somewhere at my parents' place from years ago (at the very least, the names of Han and Leia's kids are familiar); I remember it had some gold on the cover as well as a Wookie?

Darkest Knight?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah, some random goober Jedi showed up to kill christopher lee, and Jango shot him and he died. So much for all that Jedi training eh?!

I...guess? Thanks, I actually remember that scene now.

As for the book, I think it had four characters along the top of the cover art (3 humans and a Wookie?) and then underneath it was a larger picture of a Wookie with maybe a blaster in one hand and a rope or something in the other? The top and bottom of the cover were gold I think. Now that I'm thinking about this it's really bugging me that I don't remember the name.

EDIT:

Suenteus Po posted:

Darkest Knight?

No but it looks like it was Diversity Alliance, which is maybe one of the shittiest titles for a book ever. Thanks :)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 3, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Oddly enough, years of Jedi training from puberty always neglects to not teach them jumping like a moron head first into everything.

Thats why the drat order keeps getting wiped out.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

C-Euro posted:

I...guess? Thanks, I actually remember that scene now.

As for the book, I think it had four characters along the top of the cover art (3 humans and a Wookie?) and then underneath it was a larger picture of a Wookie with maybe a blaster in one hand and a rope or something in the other? The top and bottom of the cover were gold I think. Now that I'm thinking about this it's really bugging me that I don't remember the name.

Diversity Alliance.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Suenteus Po posted:

Diversity Alliance.

To be a fly on the wall at the meeting where they decided the name for this.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I actually had a dream last night that GL read Karen Traviss' "Revelation" and ordered it, along with all her other Star Wars work, un-canon. Revelation itself was to a "clean slate" (I remember him saying those words exactly) to be filled in by some other author.

Next time I see a stray eyelash...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

I actually have an idea for a story about an Alderaan born Stormtrooper stuggling with the loss of his home and his disillusionment in the Empire he devoted his life to. The only reason I haven't written any of it actually down is because then I'd be writing fanfic, and that is not a line I'm willing to cross.

But I'd love to read more stories with Stormtroopers as the focus. I love those wacky bucketheads :3:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Crowetron posted:

I actually have an idea for a story about an Alderaan born Stormtrooper stuggling with the loss of his home and his disillusionment in the Empire he devoted his life to. The only reason I haven't written any of it actually down is because then I'd be writing fanfic, and that is not a line I'm willing to cross.

The Flashman novels are based on a character from someone else's book. Myths propogate and multiply, as people come up with new stories of what Coyote did, or Roland, or Rama, or whatever.

What I'm saying is, it's only "fanfic," the pejorative, when it's bad. Otherwise, it's a story. Either way, it's culture, and either way, it's something that would make you happy to write.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Doc Hawkins posted:

The Flashman novels are based on a character from someone else's book. Myths propogate and multiply, as people come up with new stories of what Coyote did, or Roland, or Rama, or whatever.

What I'm saying is, it's only "fanfic," the pejorative, when it's bad. Otherwise, it's a story. Either way, it's culture, and either way, it's something that would make you happy to write.

Not exactly how I'd say it, but close enough. Write it for yourself. You don't have to show it to anyone if you think it's poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Crowetron posted:

I actually have an idea for a story about an Alderaan born Stormtrooper stuggling with the loss of his home and his disillusionment in the Empire he devoted his life to.
So, basically Tycho from the X-Wing books?

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So, basically Tycho from the X-Wing books?

They, they blew up my planet :qq:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Crowetron posted:

But I'd love to read more stories with Stormtroopers as the focus. I love those wacky bucketheads :3:

Hate to say it, but...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Alderaanian_stormtrooper
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_86:_The_Alderaan_Factor

Wookieepedia posted:

This stormtrooper from Alderaan was a soldier and TIE pilot in the Galactic Empire. Although originally a servant in the household of the Royal family of Alderaan, he left the world to become a trooper in the Imperial Military. The soldier found a sense of belonging in the Empire, something that he had not been able to discover on his home planet. Eventually, the soldier received word of the Destruction of Alderaan, a massacre carried out by the Empire with the use of the Death Star. Although the Imperials had obliterated his home planet, the soldier still stayed loyal to the Empire. He was still working as a stormtrooper a short time before the Battle of Endor when he was assigned to the planet Yinchorr, under the command of Imperial Governor Marcellin Wessel.

So, uh, yeah.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There should seriously be a thread dedicated to the Marvel Star Wars comics. Perhaps in BSS.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've had a copy of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast that I haven't bothered to finish in almost five years now of owning it (don't know why, I really enjoyed what I did play and I plan to beat it someday). Out of curiosity, where in the EU timeline does that take place, if it's something that's mentioned?

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
That would be 12 ABY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I never said it was a particularly unique idea :v: