Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Drimble Wedge posted:

Not to turn this into the Secretariat thread, but here he is in the Preakness (second leg of the Triple Crown). Watch at about 1:06 -- he was dead last, then dropped it into gear and passed everybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEOlWDz2KBw

The greatest stretch run of all: Silky Sullivan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT_YxcoDhtY&feature=related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
I'm sorry it's so small, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been posted yet, but here is one of the best parts of the most bad rear end hour of television I've ever seen:

The Adama Maneuver

Glop Demon
Jan 17, 2005

Of course, by "climb on something", I mean "masturbate"
Minas Tirith, made out of 420,000 matchsticks:

Apparently the guy that made this has been doing things like this for as long as I've been alive, all within 20 minutes from where I grew up, and I had no idea. Check it out.

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

MisterFusion posted:

I'm sorry it's so small, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been posted yet, but here is one of the best parts of the most bad rear end hour of television I've ever seen:

The Adama Maneuver

Here's bigger!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Stizzle posted:

Simo and Carlos were both snipers, but Carlos' stalks are of legendary status. They were cut from a different cloth. I wouldn't say quantity is the issue, it was how it was carried out.

You're right about that, but not for the reason you think. You want to talk about skill?

Carlos' most famous shot was against another sniper. He was already in the guy's sights, and just from the glint on his lens, he managed to send a bullet straight down the other sniper's scope and through his eye. A legendary, once-in-a-lifetime shot. It wouldn't have gone down that way with Simo on the other side. Simo never used a scope. Over 800 recorded kills, all through iron sights.

Let's take the warfare talk back, way back.

The martial arts, like pretty much everything, were invented in India. Kung fu, karate, kickboxing, everything owes its existence to the original martial arts, practiced so long ago that they predate the region's own recorded history. There are many famous weapons in Indian martial arts such as the talwar and the khukri, but the most unique is the urumi.

Ancient India produced a unique kind of steel called wootz. A sword forged from it is hard enough to hold a razor-sharp edge, but flexible enough to roll itself up and extend like a party horn when swung. More training is required to use this sword than any other weapon on earth. It could chop its own wielder's head off with a mistimed flick of the wrist, and practitioners undergo years of intense study.

Like everything from India, it is completely bad rear end, older than dirt, and pretty silly looking.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Let's take the warfare talk back, way back.

The martial arts, like pretty much everything, were invented in India. Kung fu, karate, kickboxing, everything owes its existence to the original martial arts, practiced so long ago that they predate the region's own recorded history. There are many famous weapons in Indian martial arts such as the talwar and the khukri, but the most unique is the urumi.

Ancient India produced a unique kind of steel called wootz. A sword forged from it is hard enough to hold a razor-sharp edge, but flexible enough to roll itself up and extend like a party horn when swung. More training is required to use this sword than any other weapon on earth. It could chop its own wielder's head off with a mistimed flick of the wrist, and practitioners undergo years of intense study.

Like everything from India, it is completely bad rear end, older than dirt, and pretty silly looking.

That's completely awesome. If you ever get a chance to train with John Will (Australian BJJ guru) he's got a great story about finding a (edit)1960s book about ancient Indian martial arts, a mixture of wrestling and kickboxing done primarily with spiny knuckle-dusters. Will, being one of those guys that loves to train with everyone, was enamoured, especially with a picture of two men engaged in combat, and headed off. The thing is, it hardly exists anymore. So he goes to the area where the book was printed, hoping to find something. He's really not hopeful, but he figures he might get some more info. He heads to a local Hare Krishna temple, that he's heard is a bit of a hub for Ancient Indian stuff, and who opens the door but the guy in the photo, with racks of the old knuckledusters behind him, some dating back centuries.
EDIT-
for reference, the martial art is called Vajramushti, and I believe Will met the gentleman on the right.

To raise you in the ancient warfare stakes, There's tons of stories of amazing last stands and remarkable deeds, but one that's stuck in my memory was a low key one I heard years ago. Once, a Spartan youth caught a fox. He was starving, as he'd often been while training. When the land's owner caught him, the youth stuffed it down his shirt, knowing he'd be beaten severely if he was found to be stealing. While the landowner interrogated him, the youth didn't answer, but looked increasingly strained, finally falling down dead. Why? The fox had gnawed into his stomach. And he hadn't talked.

Snowman_McK has a new favorite as of 07:02 on Sep 1, 2010

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

RandomFerret posted:

You're right about that, but not for the reason you think. You want to talk about skill?

Carlos' most famous shot was against another sniper. He was already in the guy's sights, and just from the glint on his lens, he managed to send a bullet straight down the other sniper's scope and through his eye. A legendary, once-in-a-lifetime shot. It wouldn't have gone down that way with Simo on the other side. Simo never used a scope. Over 800 recorded kills, all through iron sights.
I totally know why Simo used iron sights: small dude + iron sights = low profile = SMALL target (505 confirmed kills, 200+ more with a machine gun, and remarkably, in a short period of time, around 100 days). I've read up on that particular bad rear end. I have a whole collection of wartime sniper books.

Let's talk stalking.

quote:

The clearest picture of the courage necessary to be a sniper is found in Hathcock's stalk of a North Vietnamese Army General. The stalk covered 2000 meters of flat ground with nothing more for cover and concealment than grass that was only two feet high. Carlos Hathcock crawled "inches per minute and yards per hour" for two days and three nights to cover a distance that could be walked, by a man at normal speed, in ten minutes. The entire time Hathcock was moving into his FFP, enemy patrols were walking all around him. One NVA soldier even brushed Carlos' leg as he walked past the sniper hiding in the grass. On the morning of his fourth day, without having eaten any food and having had very little water, Carlos finally made it into the right spot. He found himself 800 meters from the target area. At the appropriate time, Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock fired his devastating shot, killing the NVA General. Only after having made the shot, did Hathcock exit his FFP to escape the furious search for the sharpshooter who had seriously damaged the command and control structure of the NVA units operating in the area.

The only true way to get the full picture is to read his book, Marine Sniper. That stalk was a suicide mission, taken on with no previous details to the mission, and deemed "almost completely impossible" by his superiors. To take the mission, he had to say yes before they would tell ANY details, including time, date, location and target. He was by himself, for 3 days, with absolutely no support. He worm-crawled on his side, pulling up the grass he flattened with his feet as to not leave a trail. He endured blazing heat, cold nights, hunger, dehydration, bug bites, and delirium. Morning, afternoon, and evening patrols walked within inches of him at times. It took him minutes to unscrew his canteen, take a sip from the cap, and repeat the long, quiet process to close it back up. He survived on crackers and salt, and not much else. He crawled 1.25 miles on his side, over the period of 3 days. It is one hair-raising tale.

All in all, two very intelligent individuals that caused a lot of terror and damage to opposing forces.

wnatw
Jan 28, 2008

The piper of D-Day died recently.

http://www.economist.com/node/16885894

FAH Q
Aug 19, 2007

Certified Monster Fucker

Mad Max.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

FAH Q posted:

Mad Max.

So what's to his right that's casting that long shadow?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

IUG posted:

So what's to his right that's casting that long shadow?

Click here for the full 1280x825 image.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Well played, sir.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

God drat, that vault dweller is huge!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Cleretic posted:

God drat, that vault dweller is huge!

You must not have met Mel Gibson. He's tiny, like Patrick Swayze (even BEFORE the cancer!).

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

This is my new background picture. Thank you, sir.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Click for big (in most cases).

Keso.Xorganoff
Apr 18, 2010

by T. Finn

^Click for full size^

^Click for full size^

^Click for full size^

Polio
May 29, 2008

Always tip your butcher.
Eh, gently caress it- I'll jump on the "my Dad was pretty badass" bandwagon:

He's on the far left.

...and again.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Polio posted:

Eh, gently caress it- I'll jump on the "my Dad was pretty badass" bandwagon:

He's on the far left.

Is that the UN Flag on the background?

Was your dad an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. by any chance?

Shockwave3000
Jan 14, 2008

Oh my god, who touched Sasha? Allright, WHO TOUCHED MY GUN?

Conan O Brian being bad rear end as always.

Source: http://teamcoco.com/blog/conan-obrien-drives-an-explosives-packed-car-off-a-cliff/

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

These guys were recruited to salvage this ship.

Here's the full article.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Spider Crusoe posted:

Here's the full article.

That was a fantastic loving read, and those guys are real-life superheroes. Everyone should read the article. Do it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

aas Bandit posted:

That was a fantastic loving read, and those guys are real-life superheroes. Everyone should read the article. Do it.

You're not kidding. Holy goddamn gently caress that is an amazing story.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

That's a pretty cool movie script I just read.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
:argh: "We don't eat cabbage, you loving fucks!!"

Psycho_Path
Aug 16, 2010
Reading that has made me want to watch Daylight.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Spider Crusoe posted:

Here's the full article.

Unlimited master's license sounds so cheesy, but drat if what it entails isn't badass.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Captain McStabbin posted:

Unlimited master's license sounds so cheesy, but drat if what it entails isn't badass.

By that point I was 100% hooked on the story. I can only echo the others, this is some excellent read.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Jim DiGriz posted:

By that point I was 100% hooked on the story. I can only echo the others, this is some excellent read.

First time I've been inclined to emptyquote. Talk about an awesome read. Very, very nice link.

Jaybe77
Jul 2, 2007

Psycho_Path posted:

Reading that has made me want to watch Daylight.

Hate to point out the obvious but this would be a cool movie to watch. They could just take the article and script it, as the writer seems to have that movie feel going on already.

Good read though

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Jaybe77 posted:

Hate to point out the obvious but this would be a cool movie to watch. They could just take the article and script it, as the writer seems to have that movie feel going on already.

Good read though

Spielberg's optioned it.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
That article is so badass.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah, gently caress Deadliest Catch, those guys need their own show

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Spider Crusoe posted:

Here's the full article.

Holy poo poo, talk about live fast and die hard. What a crazy rear end bunch of fuckers.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Can't have a badass thread without the original "goddamn sexual Tyrannosaurus"

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

A 5-year-old boy in Australia got a henna tattoo on family vacation, but had a bad reaction to the chemicals, and may have a permanent scar on his arm in the shape of a dragon.

Goddamn doctors, trying to treat this child's medical badass condition.

a bunch of ants
Jan 21, 2009

Wanna be professional criminals with me?

Click here for the full 1617x1165 image.

Click here for the full 1389x1103 image.

This is just fearsome:

Click here for the full 1849x1208 image.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

All right, bald dude is the man, but I can't get over the fact that the guy 2 to his left looks like Matt Damon.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

Can't have a badass thread without the original "goddamn sexual Tyrannosaurus"

I re-watched Running Man not too long ago and couldn't stop laughing at his aerobics instructor bits.

Still awesome. :colbert:

• Locked thread