Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Necroneocon posted:

Does anyone know if there is some sort of method to ringing the bell at the bazaar? I am in Fall of year 1 and either I am having really bad luck or I am doing something wrong. What am I gonna do with 50+ roasted eggplants now? :saddowns: I have never been really good at Harvest Moon games but I love them nonetheless, and it seems like I should be able to get a hang of this one at least.

I had the exact same problem, except I'm now up to my eyeballs in roasted yams. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh god my crops. :qq:

I spent a ton of money on potatoes in spring, the season changed just before they ripened. I tried to recoup my losses by throwing all my money at pumpkins but I didn't water enough, and now it looks like they're not going to ripen in time either.

ALL MY MONEY

Necroneocon posted:

Does anyone know if there is some sort of method to ringing the bell at the bazaar? I am in Fall of year 1 and either I am having really bad luck or I am doing something wrong. What am I gonna do with 50+ roasted eggplants now? :saddowns: I have never been really good at Harvest Moon games but I love them nonetheless, and it seems like I should be able to get a hang of this one at least.

Wow, I never have trouble selling poo poo. I usually sell everything by 2pm and end up selling stone and crap. You must not be ringing it very often? Or are you just standing in one spot in front of your stand while you ring? You sorta have to ring it near people so they hear, if it attracts their attention they'll get a ! above their head.

I find that the best way is to nip back and forth between one side of the stand to the other. Stand on the edge of your stall, right before it asks if you want to pack up and leave, and then just clang that motherfucker. This way you kinda catch people as they're passing up and down either side. Especially on the left, where they wander in and out of the bazaar entrance. The only time I ever stop ringing is to sell poo poo or answer idiot questions.

LUCYYY! YOU GOT SOME 'SPLAININ' TO DO! :argh:

e: Also the customer attention 'resets' each time you move stuff around on your stall, even if they were in the middle of buying something, so you gotta grab them again.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Ah, well that is good to know. In this case I will do my best to ring the bell incessantly until they have to buy stuff from me! I hadn't been moving around so much so maybe that is the problem, and when it is possible I will make that thing with the manufacturing windmill to make the bell stronger. Not sure when that becomes possible though. That and I was ignoring the right hand side completely! Thanks for all the help.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Corridor posted:

I find that the best way is to nip back and forth between one side of the stand to the other. Stand on the edge of your stall, right before it asks if you want to pack up and leave, and then just clang that motherfucker. This way you kinda catch people as they're passing up and down either side. Especially on the left, where they wander in and out of the bazaar entrance. The only time I ever stop ringing is to sell poo poo or answer idiot questions.

I do that too, in fact I like to go up to the upper left hand corner of the stall to get characters who might've been off screen. But I wonder if all that even matters.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Well, I run all over my bazaar's open space clanging like a mad man and generally get a pretty good flow of people, so I'm guessing it makes a difference. And yeah, the far left side generally gets me the most people since they all seem to walk through there.

I'm about to finish up my first fall and seem to be in pretty good shape. At first I was angry that the two food festivals made the bazaar not happen at all, but then I won both of them and got a pink diamond for it. I priced it at Raul's for 27,000, so I could get a shitload for it at the bazaar if I end up strapped for cash. Decided to keep it until I can put it in an accessory, which should fetch me even more.

As for the contest, I don't think the complexity of dishes matters, just the star rating. I made a 4 star omelette (egg, milk, oil & probably the frying pan) and a 4 star yam dessert (yam, egg, butter). Freya is apparently a terrible cook :laugh:

One pretty decent way to make money in the fall is to catch the fast yellow dragonflies in the main town and at the hotel area. Both pacific and aegis dragonflies sell for more than a couple hundred gold each at the bazaar, so I use that to shore up my profits. During the two week no-bazaar period I ended up with about 15 of them and got at least 4000 off them alone.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

As for the contest, I don't think the complexity of dishes matters, just the star rating. I made a 4 star omelette (egg, milk, oil & probably the frying pan) and a 4 star yam dessert (yam, egg, butter). Freya is apparently a terrible cook :laugh:

One pretty decent way to make money in the fall is to catch the fast yellow dragonflies in the main town and at the hotel area. Both pacific and aegis dragonflies sell for more than a couple hundred gold each at the bazaar, so I use that to shore up my profits. During the two week no-bazaar period I ended up with about 15 of them and got at least 4000 off them alone.

I hope so, I'm betting on winning with Grilled Fish and Cheesecake, both being about 4 and a half stars.

Also for fall profit padding, dragonflies are decent, but so is Grilled Fish. The cafe dock's small fish are 100% willow gudgeon in fall, and I can make 4-4.5 star Grilled Fish with them that sell for decent money.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I have a retarded sheep.

So I'm walking back to my farm on a rainy day and I notice that one of the trees near the entrance has that little popping vein sign above it. At first I thought the tree was just angry at me for some reason, but when I get closer I find that it's my loving sheep wandering around in the rain. I didn't push it out there, the dogs don't herd the animals on rainy days, and the livestock don't push each other, so it wandered out on its own. To the furthest area away from the barn. In the rain.

Now, maybe I accidentally pushed it out of the barn, right? Wrong! Because a few days later I watched it wander out of the barn and hurry back in. Twice.

Now I have a sick, retarded sheep. I don't know what the gently caress.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

endolithic posted:

Now I have a sick, retarded sheep. I don't know what the gently caress.

you hit it with the hammer one time too many

As far as the Bazaar goes, I've noticed one thing about spamming the bell: a lot of times, it interferes with the customer "decision" mechanic, so if you just keep spamming the bell with waiting customers, they'll just stand there like they don't even know, so just a heads-up for you guys that mashing B isn't always the best thing.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Well, I run all over my bazaar's open space clanging like a mad man and generally get a pretty good flow of people, so I'm guessing it makes a difference.

Definitely. No matter how much crap I have or how many different types of crap, I always sell everything I have with more than enough time to browse the other stalls.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also for fall profit padding, dragonflies are decent, but so is Grilled Fish. The cafe dock's small fish are 100% willow gudgeon in fall, and I can make 4-4.5 star Grilled Fish with them that sell for decent money.

Grilled Fish has been keeping my farm afloat since the Great Pumpkin Disaster of Summer '01. :(

endolithic posted:

I have a retarded sheep.

Okay now I'm glad I passed up on the sheep all those times.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
Thanks for the words about RF, guys! I'll try 3 out after I get bored of TV and GB or it comes out in English. Whichever comes first.

Another TV/GB comparison! Fishing is much easier in TV. You just cast your rod and spam the A button and it won't pull your line in. You can make a cup of tea and virtual fish at the same time, which I find endlessly useful.

The double jump makes catching cicadas in GB much easier, though. Pity they're worth so little at the bazaar. I only discovered that after catching a million. :mad:

Does anyone know why Vaughn is such a popular bachelor, by the way? He just seems like a coldass bitch.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Another TV/GB comparison!

I dunno, no matter how many times you say TV is great, I just can't get past the fact that they removed the jumping and run toggling. Why would you do that. Did all the masochistic Japanese spergers write in complaining that it made the game too fun? HEY IT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE WORK ANYMORE WHAT GIVES

Does anyone know why Vaughn is such a popular bachelor, by the way? He just seems like a coldass bitch.

Well that's the point. Dude is all Clint Eastwood badass and I DON'T NEED NO WOMANS. Also he's the only character who resembles a grownup or at least slightly less of a toddler. He's like Oscar the Grouch in a village of Elmos and Tellys. I mean unless you're either 14 years old or a pedo, you're not going to be playing this game with any degree of seriousness.

I adore Lloyd for the same reason: dude just don't give no gently caress. Every time I talk to him he's like "Yeah whatever bitch I got poo poo to do". And he charges exhorbitant prices for his shiny rocks. Even after marriage he apparently just spends half the week travelling and never takes home any bazaar profit.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Corridor posted:

Did all the masochistic Japanese spergers write in complaining that it made the game too fun? HEY IT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE WORK ANYMORE WHAT GIVES

Probably! Or it was a decision by the same people who designed the control system in IOH.

Hmmm. I see the idea, but Vaughn and similar come across like they actually don't like you most of the time, and why would you want to marry that? And why would they want to marry you? I can see why people would enjoy that in a game, but not why so many people would! Somewhere on the spectrum between give-no-fucks and creepy clinger (Will. Oh God, Will) is my preference I guess.

Speaking of bachelors, I saw Ivan's (blue?) heart event yesterday, and he was like "oh, I scolded Dirk and feel bad." How old is Dirk meant to be in that game, and why can you marry him if he's young enough to get told off by his brother?! wtfff

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^ Yeah, I posted a couple of times that it creeps me the gently caress out how you can marry either of them. I swear there's like 10 years between them.

Hmmm. I see the idea, but Vaughn and similar come across like they actually don't like you most of the time, and why would you want to marry that?

Because... it is a game? I think you missed the part where most of us don't take this remotely seriously. It's very difficult for me to think realistically about :allears: what sort of man I should marry :allears: when all those 'men' are tiny two-dimensional cartoons and look like babies. I do not go for the most attractive option. I go for the option that would make for the most ridiculous and/or hilarious results.

It's also the reason I always marry Rosalind in RF2 (I mean I've only done it twice but whatever). Julia is pretty, and Alicia has hot boobs, and Dorothy is sweet, and Rosalind is totally loving insane and leads to some extremely :psyduck: conversations post-marriage.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
Hey, I don't take it seriously either! It's a game for kids. We're cool. I don't even get married in most games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone know off hand how much a Pink Brooch sells for? I managed to get the pink diamond by coming in 1st in both cooking festivals, but I don't know if I should just sell that or buy some of the required metal and make a pink brooch.

I'm certainly way too poor to give it as a gift.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I just got to Great Windmiller on the last day of the first summer. Did they not expect players to get much use out of the machines that make things more valuable for free?

Also, when I get to winter, will my animals still be able to graze outside, or am I going to need fodder for them?

Lemur Crisis fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 3, 2010

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Pink brooch had better sell for a poo poo-ton because I've been hoarding it until I get the materials. I've never seen any combinations that sell for less than the sum of its parts, so I feel pretty confident about it. With luck it'll sell for a good bit more.

Has anyone who has played past Winter 1 gotten into any kind of mining? I had just assumed that there would be a cave unlocked at some point, but now I'm not so sure since ore blocks seem to spawn on the ground during winter. I'd rather not have to rely on Lloyd's stuff and random ore drops for my metal needs. Also, he only seems to sell low-level rocks so I don't know how you would get a 5-star watering can without finding your own high level stuff. I also assumed that "wonderfuls" are special rocks.

Am I right in assuming that the blocked-off area is a horse track? It looks like it. And is there ever any way to get automated watering/crop collecting? It won't be so bad once I get higher level items and have my animals taking care of each other, but it would be nice to get some help for the times that I fill my fields.

Edit: I wondered the same thing about my windmill level. Maybe there are just a bunch of levels beyond Great, like Amazing, Superb, and God-king. I'm also not sure whether it's adding stars to my items or making the wait shorter or both (or neither).

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 3, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Does anyone know the bazaar sell price of a half star Tomato? Wondering if I should turn all of mine into salads.

Lemur Crisis posted:

Also, when I get to winter, will my animals still be able to graze outside...

Yes.

Zenzirouj posted:

Has anyone who has played past Winter 1 gotten into any kind of mining?

There is no 'mine'. The only ore you can get beyond Floyd or jumping in the river is random ore deposits litered around the place in the Winter.

The 'cave' under the waterfall is just for the Japanese girl, it seems.

Zenzirouj posted:

Also, he only seems to sell low-level rocks so I don't know how you would get a 5-star watering can without finding your own high level stuff. I also assumed that "wonderfuls" are special rocks.

I THINK you boost the quality of tools by the number of times you upgrade it.

Zenzirouj posted:

Am I right in assuming that the blocked-off area is a horse track? It looks like it.

Yes.

Zenzirouj posted:

And is there ever any way to get automated watering/crop collecting?

No. But I don't feel there needs to be. Unlike most HM games, I am very, VERY rarely pressed for time. I almost always go to bed around noon.

Stamina is more of an issue than time.

Zenzirouj posted:

Edit: I wondered the same thing about my windmill level. Maybe there are just a bunch of levels beyond Great, like Amazing, Superb, and God-king. I'm also not sure whether it's adding stars to my items or making the wait shorter or both (or neither).

Levels for the windmill, and for bugs and poo poo, don't see to do anything, but don't quote me on that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Revol posted:

Does anyone know the bazaar sell price of a half star Tomato? Wondering if I should turn all of mine into salads.

Pretty sure you should always cook poo poo on account of it gaining a half-star once it's prepared.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

personally I take harvest moon romance very seriously and create spreadsheets containing pro/cons of each candidate before launching a strategic gift campaign to min/max their affections and obtain their hand in marriage at the most convenient time for my crop rotation schedule

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Star Guarded posted:

personally I take harvest moon romance very seriously and create spreadsheets containing pro/cons of each candidate before launching a strategic gift campaign to min/max their affections and obtain their hand in marriage at the most convenient time for my crop rotation schedule

Is that how you approach love? With a spreadsheet?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
^^^^^^^
Sheets aren't all he spreads.:c00l:
He also spreads tears.:smith:

The White Dragon posted:

Pretty sure you should always cook poo poo on account of it gaining a half-star once it's prepared.

Boiled eggs sell for less then raw eggs. If you try to sell something at the town shop I think you'll get the price of a .5 star item, but don't quote me on that.

VVVVV
Save and at the start of the day try selling an uncooked and a cooked whatever, that should probably tell you, but the star bonus you get for cooking could bump the price up if it's close.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 4, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

senae posted:

Boiled eggs sell for less then raw eggs.

That's exactly why I don't just assume everything you cook is a profitable endeavor.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Revol posted:

Is that how you approach love? With a spreadsheet?
it gives me time for what I truly enjoy about harvest moon

which are the messed up game mechanics that somehow make it into every release

I can't remember which harvest moon it was but one game gave your horse both love/skill statistics. one was how much your horse liked you, and the other was how good your horse was at racing. the problem here was that if your horse liked you a lot, it affected the races. i can't remember how, but you either got put in a higher race bracket or you got less money for winning or something like that. so it was to your advantage to have a skilled horse that hated you. my horse loved me. my horse loved me so much. until I went out to the stable before a big race with an axe.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

senae posted:

^^^^^^^
Sheets aren't all he spreads.:c00l:
He also spreads tears.:smith:

Boiled eggs sell for less then raw eggs. If you try to sell something at the town shop I think you'll get the price of a .5 star item, but don't quote me on that.

VVVVV
Save and at the start of the day try selling an uncooked and a cooked whatever, that should probably tell you, but the star bonus you get for cooking could bump the price up if it's close.

Raul's shop just gives you a straight 50% value. You still get benefits from higher star values, it'll just be exactly half of what you'll get from the bazaar.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Revol posted:

I THINK you boost the quality of tools by the number of times you upgrade it.

This is true. The quality of the ore apparently has nothing to do with it. With two upgrades you can water 3 squares at once. WOW! Totally worth like 15,000g

Star Guarded posted:

I can't remember which harvest moon it was but one game gave your horse both love/skill statistics. one was how much your horse liked you, and the other was how good your horse was at racing. the problem here was that if your horse liked you a lot, it affected the races. i can't remember how, but you either got put in a higher race bracket or you got less money for winning or something like that. so it was to your advantage to have a skilled horse that hated you. my horse loved me. my horse loved me so much. until I went out to the stable before a big race with an axe.

I never feed, talk to, brush or ride my horses, leaving a trail of abused immortal horses throughout the years.

Haha I got Llyod to purple heart and he says something like, "Is your job to wander around all day?" (it is)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

This is true. The quality of the ore apparently has nothing to do with it. With two upgrades you can water 3 squares at once. WOW! Totally worth like 15,000g

Use it while jumping for a three by three square.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

With your next upgrade you can water five squares, and it's a life and stamina saver.

quote:

I never feed, talk to, brush or ride my horses, leaving a trail of abused immortal horses throughout the years.

It's at least sort of worth it when you actually ride it, but that loving Sunshine Islands horse was so utterly useless I stopped feeding it out of spite. At least I could see the cat and dog on the minimap if they ran from me. :argh:

Bazaar's horse is alright, though. I got the red one and named it Tomato.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The second watering can upgrade is worthwhile because it does the 1x3 watering that the first upgrade does as a special move, but this time as a normal move. Now you're both saving stamina, and you don't have to walk into your crops to water everything.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Revol posted:

Use it while jumping for a three by three square.

I tried but it only changes from 3 vertical squares to 3 horizontal squares. At least upgrading is easy, if expensive early in the game. Glad they got rid of that Wonderful business.

Is there any way to fertilise multiple squares at once?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You have to be in the middle of the group to get the 3x3 effect, it waters all around you. It's not that useful and a pretty big stamina drain.

I dunno, I think the watering can upgrade is great. Getting a 1x3 row in one shot without having to jump and waste lots of stamina is a great advantage and time saver. Easily worth 15,000G.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
HM:GB question

Is there an option for instant text, so I can advance through the beginning quickly?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

LordSloth posted:

HM:GB question

Is there an option for instant text, so I can advance through the beginning quickly?

Not that I've seen. Just get in the habit of holding B down.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just started using the 3rd windmill, and I have some questions about grinding out some seeds. Do higher ranked crops produce more seeds, or am I really going to have to sacrifice half of my crops each harvest to keep on getting seeds? I guess that maybe it'll be worth it if it means having 5 star crops, right?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Just started using the 3rd windmill, and I have some questions about grinding out some seeds. Do higher ranked crops produce more seeds, or am I really going to have to sacrifice half of my crops each harvest to keep on getting seeds? I guess that maybe it'll be worth it if it means having 5 star crops, right?

It seems to me that grinding seeds to breed the highest quality crops is only good for use as ingredients. The goal in this game would be to just do a few so you can achieve a five star pizza or something.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

At the very worst case, remember that several plants can be harvested multiple times from one sowing. Having a little trouble finding a working website or well-organized faq, so I can't tell you what they are other than eggplant.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I also wanted to know whether how many seeds you get out of crops. It would suck if it was 1. I'm guessing it's 2, which is still crap but not quite so bad...

Star Guarded posted:

the problem here was that if your horse liked you a lot, it affected the races. i can't remember how, but you either got put in a higher race bracket or you got less money for winning or something like that. so it was to your advantage to have a skilled horse that hated you. my horse loved me. my horse loved me so much. until I went out to the stable before a big race with an axe.

This is awesome. Horrible but awesome.
So far the only messed up mechanic I'm aware of in this game is having to hurl your chickens/cats/dogs 5 feet or so each time you pick them up.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Oh, I forgot a stupid question regarding chicken ownership.
Do you bring them inside at the end of a sunny day, or bring the inside at the start of a rainy one? I didn't see a weather forecast in this one.

Higgs Boson
Apr 22, 2008

LordSloth posted:

Oh, I forgot a stupid question regarding chicken ownership.
Do you bring them inside at the end of a sunny day, or bring the inside at the start of a rainy one? I didn't see a weather forecast in this one.

Always bring all your animals in at the end of a day. They build up stress if left out overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Thanks, Revol and Higgs Boson.

You guys probably know all about this, but I didn't see it in the OP, or hear about it recently...
http://harvestmoonforever.blogspot.com/
This guy has several guides up.
http://grandbazaarfreyashawk.blogspot.com/

I did hear about the fogu thing from here and looked it up. Site doesn't work for me though. Edit: at least for grand bazaar

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 4, 2010

• Locked thread