Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I'm not saying those prices are accurate (they don't seem to be to me, at least), but people nearly always forget supply & demand when pricing out used cars. That could be a factor here.

I sold my old '98 Legacy GT a few years back, and my asking price was $7000 I think (at a time when KBB said it was worth $6500). There weren't THAT many Legacy GT Wagons with a 5-spd out there, and none on my area. All the dorks on NASIOC went nuts that I was asking over Blue Book, and called me an idiot while trying to ridiculously lowball me. However, I put it on craigslist and had 50 e-mails within 2-3 hours. It sold for $7000 later that night, and I really wish I'd asked for more.

The moral of the story is that KBB and its equivalents are good guides for pricing, but if that dealership thinks someone will buy that car for 23.9, it's not so 'lol' after all. It wouldn't surprise me, considering how popular (and comparatively uncommon) the 08+ WRX's are. Let me guess, it's a 5-door 'premium' model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Perhaps that's how Subaru has "the highest estimated resale value.

I have been looking at some 2011's, They're priced at 26k base. A Dealership in San Jose has two on the lot. I'm tempted to try to wait it out to see if I can put together enough money to make a 2011 purchase viable. (I would have to come up with ~15k to put down. vs 10k I planned and I'm not working currently due to an injury and have no backup car :/)

syphon posted:

Let me guess, it's a 5-door 'premium' model?

No, it's just a standard model but they did try to pass it off as one because the owner installed a Kenwood DVD deck. When I pressed them they admitted it was a base model 09'.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 3, 2010

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
edit: wtf? late double post.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Does the oil pickup tube failure thing in anyway matter to the SOHC EJ25? Was just wondering for when I put the motor all together (someday :allears:)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

Does the oil pickup tube failure thing in anyway matter to the SOHC EJ25? Was just wondering for when I put the motor all together (someday :allears:)
I think the Killer B oil pickup tube is only for the turbo EJ25, at least according to their front page. There's also no pictures in the carnage gallery of NA cars.

That said, you should absolutely go nuts on that engine while you have it apart. Drop in some nice parts and do a big horsepower, huge redline NA build. Your wife will totally appreciate it. It's for safety!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Sorry if it was posted and I missed it, but I need some help. I've been mining the internet for photos of something I thought would be common. I just want a picture of an EA81 bellhousing. That's all.

Why? Well I think I have stumbled across an EA81 with a Kennedy VW adapter and I want to be sure before I pull the trigger because it's money, and it's two states away. The seller says it doesn't have an adapter but I'm pretty sure it does, because the seller says it bolts up. They also say the trans bellhousing may need clearancing which bothers me a little regarding the flywheel.

I need some input from the subie people about what they make of the bellhousing bolt pattern and flywheel.
If that stuff doesn't look subaru then I have found an awesome shortcut which works out about the same as just getting the heads recon'd on my VW.

Please help me with the knowledge that you have!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dear Subaru:

Please make cars faster. I very much want to buy a Plasma Blue 5 Door Premium WRX ASAP and I really don't want to be forced to order one.

Sigh, I may end up breaking down and ordering one, but I really wish I could just walk up to a lot this weekend and buy one.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

jamal posted:

legacy downpipe is a few inches longer. It will attach to the turbo but not the rest of the exhaust.

For this guy's Legacy, is there the same kind of benefit on his car as there is on an STi by going 3" DP & Exhaust?

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

bull3964 posted:

Dear Subaru:

Please make cars faster. I very much want to buy a Plasma Blue 5 Door Premium WRX ASAP and I really don't want to be forced to order one.

Sigh, I may end up breaking down and ordering one, but I really wish I could just walk up to a lot this weekend and buy one.

Where are you located? There's at least 2 in stock at a dealership in Vancouver Washington.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

FormulaXFD posted:

For this guy's Legacy, is there the same kind of benefit on his car as there is on an STi by going 3" DP & Exhaust?

He'd probably have to gut it first to get any power gains, not sure how much of a difference it'd make though myself. What he really needs is your uppipe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
How the hell do you drain / flush power steering fluid?

The flush bit's kinda what I'm mor einterested in, I have power steering mud, not fluid

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Cat Terrist posted:

How the hell do you drain / flush power steering fluid?

The flush bit's kinda what I'm mor einterested in, I have power steering mud, not fluid

You can use a vacuum brake bleeder to suck it out or you can undo the hard lines on the rack and just keep turning the wheel with the engine off until it runs dry. Fill with fresh fluid, bleed, repeat.

Id also suggest taking off the reservoir and spraying massive amounts of brake/carby cleaner in there and let it sit for a while to clean it our properly.

edit: don't ever let the pump go dry for even a second when the engines running though. It kills them pretty quick and they can't be rebuilt.

ChunksNensja fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 3, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

allonblack posted:

Where are you located? There's at least 2 in stock at a dealership in Vancouver Washington.

Pittsburgh. It takes a few more weeks for stuff to filter over to the east coast.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Are you talking about putting the oem sti downpipe on a legacy? Like I said they're exactly the same except for length. You'll get similar same gains with aftermarket parts regadless of what turbo subaru you have. And yeah for everything equipped with a catted uppipe ditch that immediately.

Power steering flush: empty res with vacuum, fill with new fluid, start car turn wheel a few times, repeat once or twice. You're not doing a complete drain but it gets 90% changed and doesn't put any air in the system which can damage components like the pump.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I have a 93 Legacy L Wagon. I believe I need new struts. What are my (cheap) options? Can I put Forester take-offs on this thing and lift it a bit?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Bob Log posted:

Perhaps that's how Subaru has "the highest estimated resale value.

I have been looking at some 2011's, They're priced at 26k base. A Dealership in San Jose has two on the lot. I'm tempted to try to wait it out to see if I can put together enough money to make a 2011 purchase viable. (I would have to come up with ~15k to put down. vs 10k I planned and I'm not working currently due to an injury and have no backup car :/)

No, it's just a standard model but they did try to pass it off as one because the owner installed a Kenwood DVD deck. When I pressed them they admitted it was a base model 09'.

Yeah a premium is like 27 so it would have made more sense. But if they are trying to pass it off that way, then it makes more sense as well.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Bob Log posted:

Does anyone know if 04 STI brembo Rotors and calipers will fit an 09' WRX? I think it should fit but wondered if anyone knew for sure.

I think this got lost in my last few posts and wondered if anyone know if these will fit. Nobody I've asked can tell me for sure.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Log posted:

I think this got lost in my last few posts and wondered if anyone know if these will fit. Nobody I've asked can tell me for sure.

If it's anything like other bigger-brake upgrades for cars i've worked on, the limiting factor are your wheels. It will depend on how complete the conversion is; brackets might be different for example. It's a lovely method to find out, but pull up a FSM on a WRX and one on a STi - if they have part numbers see which ones line up. The more things are different the harder it will be.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bob Log posted:

I know I can put Brembos on my 06WRX but they won't clear my wheels (at least not my gold alloys; my OE alloys might be different but I doubt it).

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I have them on my 02 WRX and I have the wheels to match so that wouldn't be an issue. I figure it'll fit but I might need to change something. Should be easy enough I guess.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bob Log posted:

No, not if you want to keep the OEM wheels. The Brembos are slightly wider and the bigger discs DEFINATLY dont fit, you need the different 04 handbrake assembly too.

The PCD changed on the 05 STI so you should be okay in that regard.

Caliper mounts could be an issue too

Thinking about it, the wider hat is the thing that would be the biggest issue, it wont mount to the stub axle cleanly. I just did a change to SpecC and had to change shafts, hubs and stub axles so I would be approaching this one with a lot of caution.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I'm looking at buying an automatic 99 Impreza L Sedan with the 2.2L@175k miles, I plan on it being a daily driver for 3-5 years. The car is impeccable (for Cleveland at least--there is rust, but much less than expected even though the rear diff is orange which is something I've seen with everything) and she just replaced the timing belt and MAF last month.

I'm not super familiar with Subarus so just a couple of questions. First off, wtf is with the two throttle cables/cams on the body? If I want to rev the engine from the bay which one should I twist, or both? And at 175,000 miles, how much more life can I expect from the engine/transmission, and what should I watch out for as it ages.

I fully expect the car to fall apart over a few years, but so long as the drivetrain works I'll be happy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The EJ22 is one of the stoutest (if not the stoutest) engines Subaru has ever made. I'd imagine the chassis will give up on the car before the motor does. The transmission, not so sure. The 4EAT is also fairly stout, being (as I've heard) a slightly rejiggered Jatco reference unit similar to the ones Nissan used in the 90s. Regardless, the pair of them should last you at least four more years if you stick to the Subaru maintenance schedule.

At this point I'd look at the CV axles to make sure they're in good order, and probably change that rear diff fluid immediately just in case the previous owner didn't. If you get bad rust you may also be looking at new swaybars or swaybar end links. An inspection should catch failures of those components.

As for the two throttle cables, does the car have cruise control? Which cable is pulled when you sit in the car and push the gas pedal?

I was going to say that replacing the MAF and then selling the car immediately is a pretty expensive pursuit but it looks like the MAF for the Impreza L is just $60 as opposed to my car's $270.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Has anyone ever added a fuse to an unused fuse slot in a Subaru? I'm looking at adding a HAM radio, and I'd like to just use an open fuse slot for the wiring to make it cleaner. Is that possible? How much dismantling am I going to have to do to get to the back side of fusebox in a 2010 Outback?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The EJ22 is one of the stoutest (if not the stoutest) engines Subaru has ever made. I'd imagine the chassis will give up on the car before the motor does. The transmission, not so sure. The 4EAT is also fairly stout, being (as I've heard) a slightly rejiggered Jatco reference unit similar to the ones Nissan used in the 90s. Regardless, the pair of them should last you at least four more years if you stick to the Subaru maintenance schedule.

At this point I'd look at the CV axles to make sure they're in good order, and probably change that rear diff fluid immediately just in case the previous owner didn't. If you get bad rust you may also be looking at new swaybars or swaybar end links. An inspection should catch failures of those components.

As for the two throttle cables, does the car have cruise control? Which cable is pulled when you sit in the car and push the gas pedal?

I was going to say that replacing the MAF and then selling the car immediately is a pretty expensive pursuit but it looks like the MAF for the Impreza L is just $60 as opposed to my car's $270.

Bought the car for $2700, which is a few hundred more than I wanted to spend. It's in line with "Excellent" by kbb, but she was firm on the price since she just did $500-600 worth of work last month. I think it's pretty fair, considering the condition of the car.

Plus, she has a show-winning Austin-Healey bugeye, so I know this car is well taken care of. drat! Should have taken a picture of that and her MG!

Anyway, CV boots all look and feel firm/rubbery, and I think they were done within the past 2-3 years, as were the struts all around. It really is in wonderful condition.

Edit: Yep, halfshafts were replaced a couple years ago. The maintenance records for this thing are out of this world. She even has receipts for quick fluid checks going back five years. And everything I've seen as a worry point on these cars has already been replaced. Who does this for a loving base model Subaru?

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 4, 2010

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

Bought the car for $2700, which is a few hundred more than I wanted to spend. It's in line with "Excellent" by kbb, but she was firm on the price since she just did $500-600 worth of work last month. I think it's pretty fair, considering the condition of the car.

Plus, she has a show-winning Austin-Healey bugeye, so I know this car is well taken care of. drat! Should have taken a picture of that and her MG!

Anyway, CV boots all look and feel firm/rubbery, and I think they were done within the past 2-3 years, as were the struts all around. It really is in wonderful condition.

Edit: Yep, halfshafts were replaced a couple years ago. The maintenance records for this thing are out of this world. She even has receipts for quick fluid checks going back five years. And everything I've seen as a worry point on these cars has already been replaced. Who does this for a loving base model Subaru?

Congrats, you literally have nothing to worry about on that car. The 4EAT is really stout, more so than the 5 speeds, and the 2.2 is only outshined by the jeep 4.0 in my book. Just keep up on maintenance and don't crash it and you'll enjoy the thing for a long time.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Slow is Fast posted:

Congrats, you literally have nothing to worry about on that car. The 4EAT is really stout, more so than the 5 speeds, and the 2.2 is only outshined by the jeep 4.0 in my book. Just keep up on maintenance and don't crash it and you'll enjoy the thing for a long time.

Great! But I wouldn't say I have nothing to worry about...the woman had a dog with hooked fur or something, the backseats are just covered with it and my vacuum doesn't dent that poo poo. It's just awful.

But, if that's my one complaint I'm pretty satisfied.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dave Inc. posted:

Great! But I wouldn't say I have nothing to worry about...the woman had a dog with hooked fur or something, the backseats are just covered with it and my vacuum doesn't dent that poo poo. It's just awful.

But, if that's my one complaint I'm pretty satisfied.
Take it to a professional detailer and pay them however much they want. It's not worth you doing it yourself and you'll be happy at how nice it all looks after.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Bob Log posted:

I have them on my 02 WRX and I have the wheels to match so that wouldn't be an issue. I figure it'll fit but I might need to change something. Should be easy enough I guess.

Front fits rear MIGHT with the adapter bracket. Can't say for sure because the 08+ rear is all different. There are some threads in the brake sticky on nasioc that explain it all pretty good. I'd link them but I'm using my phone.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone have recommendations for new tires for my '93 Legacy L wagon? I drive 60 miles a day with some longer trips thrown in on the weekends. A mix of straight freeway, curvy freeway and stop-and-go (Highway 17 for you bay area goons). In the winter I drive up to Tahoe 5 to 10 times, so I'm leaning towards all season tires for better performance when there's snow on the road. Any ideas?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's a new Continental that seems cheaper & comparable to the Bridgestone Potenza 960a/s, but I can't remember the model. It's on my Mazda.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've been through two sets of falken ze-912s and they're really great and inexpensive. I was dumb and just bought myself a set of hankook v12s for my 17" lgt wheels, so I'm going to have to get another set of tires so I can drive to montana this winter. They'll probably be 912s again.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

get out posted:

I have a 93 Legacy L Wagon. I believe I need new struts. What are my (cheap) options? Can I put Forester take-offs on this thing and lift it a bit?

Anyone?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I'm trying to remove the short shifter from my car because someone is going to give me money for it and I've run into a problem pulling the... well I don't know what it's called but here's a picture:

I can't pull the drat shifter out of that for the life of me. I've tried pinching, pulling, pushing, everything I can think of and nothing. I looked at tutorials on Scoobymods and there's nothing that looks exactly like that plastic ring. Everyone seems to be able to just pull it out but I've literally stood over it and pulled with all my might.

Everyone talks about a snap ring being there but there wasn't one. I'm afraid to break something, can anyone recommend something to try or point out that I'm an idiot and missing something?

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 6, 2010

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Bob Log posted:

I'm trying to remove the short shifter from my car because someone is going to give me money for it and I've run into a problem pulling the... well I don't know what it's called but here's a picture:

I can't pull the drat shifter out of that for the life of me. I've tried pinching, pulling, pushing, everything I can think of and nothing. I looked at tutorials on Scoobymods and there's nothing that looks exactly like that plastic ring. Everyone seems to be able to just pull it out but I've literally stood over it and pulled with all my might.

Everyone talks about a snap ring being there but there wasn't one. I'm afraid to break something, can anyone recommend something to try or point out that I'm an idiot and missing something?

When in doubt, lubricate. That should just be a snap ring holding it down. Maybe try lubing it up, and giving it a quick sharp pull straight up?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Amandyke posted:

When in doubt, lubricate. That should just be a snap ring holding it down. Maybe try lubing it up, and giving it a quick sharp pull straight up?

There IS no snap ring though, I've looked for it and there's nothing there. That big white thing seems WAY oversized compared to the stock plastic bushing/bucket. I had to make some errands real quick but someone recommended turning it 180 and pulling at an angle so i'll try lube too. :V

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Bob Log posted:

There IS no snap ring though, I've looked for it and there's nothing there. That big white thing seems WAY oversized compared to the stock plastic bushing/bucket. I had to make some errands real quick but someone recommended turning it 180 and pulling at an angle so i'll try lube too. :V
Find some way to fasten anything perpendicular so you have something to jack against, then throw your in-car jack underneath and start jackin' (you heard me).

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Jared592 posted:

Find some way to fasten anything perpendicular so you have something to jack against, then throw your in-car jack underneath and start jackin' (you heard me).

Just be sure he has a good way in the end to get the Jackoff.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
We just received a new '10 Forester 2.5X auto as a gift and I'm wondering if I should buy some kind of dealer care package for it? It only had 4 miles on it, and has the regular warranty coverages. I owned a used Legacy wagon when I lived in Japan and the engine seized not long after I bought it so I'm a bit wary about Subaru since I never had that happen to any of my other cars.

Since this wasn't something that I researched or purchased on my own, I literally know nothing about it. I didn't even realize car companies still made 4 speed transmissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Some Subarus have engine issues. As I understand it, the 2007-2009 years were the worst. All manufacturers have some issues though. What kind of stuff is in the "Dealer Care package?" The ones I'm familiar with are all cosmetic rubbish.