Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kane finds the half-finished diss critique of his wife's opera that his old friend and employee wrote, along with his passed-out drunk old friend. Because of the stubborness of his character and the way he clings to principles even well after he loses any real sense of idealism, he finishes the review "in the spirit it was intended" to prove a point, then coldly fires his friend, and they never speak again. That sequence of events would probably have been hard to make into a 2-panel joke, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lurdiak posted:

Kane finds the half-finished diss critique of his wife's opera that his old friend and employee wrote, along with his passed-out drunk old friend. Because of the stubborness of his character and the way he clings to principles even well after he loses any real sense of idealism, he finishes the review "in the spirit it was intended" to prove a point, then coldly fires his friend, and they never speak again. That sequence of events would probably have been hard to make into a 2-panel joke, though.
Thanks, that explained a lot.

Green
Apr 16, 2003

Does anyone know if there are plans to release the 10th compilation? I'd like to get the set from volume 1 to 10, but have no idea how long it will be before that's possible.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good luck. The latest Dark Horse compilation has been pushed back at least four times this year.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Good luck. The latest Dark Horse compilation has been pushed back at least four times this year.

I feel really sad about the way everything Achewood seems to keep receding towards the horizon.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I know we really don't have any right and Onstad doesn't owe us anything, but I'd really love to know what's going on behind the scenes. :ohdear:

smashczar
Mar 1, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the deal with achewoodstore.com? Everything I tried to buy is sold out and I was gonna buy like a heap of things.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

smashczar posted:

What's the deal with achewoodstore.com? Everything I tried to buy is sold out and I was gonna buy like a heap of things.

I got it to put a framed strip in the shopping cart but other than that I had the same experience :(

smashczar
Mar 1, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

csammis posted:

I got it to put a framed strip in the shopping cart but other than that I had the same experience :(

In all fairness I did just check and the 2nd cookbook isn't out yet, as far as I can tell. But the poster and strips and first cookbook seems like things that should be kept in stock.

I love Achewood, and the current arc is one of my absolute favourites, not least because it shows the strip is still growing artistically and getting even better as time goes on, but we don't seem to be seeing the fruits of whatever Onstad is working on these days as much as we used to. Or I assume this is the case since I only discovered Achewood recently.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

smashczar posted:

In all fairness I did just check and the 2nd cookbook isn't out yet, as far as I can tell. But the poster and strips and first cookbook seems like things that should be kept in stock.

I love Achewood, and the current arc is one of my absolute favourites, not least because it shows the strip is still growing artistically and getting even better as time goes on, but we don't seem to be seeing the fruits of whatever Onstad is working on these days as much as we used to. Or I assume this is the case since I only discovered Achewood recently.

If you really want to compare against other months, the archive page very handily displays by month. As dry spells go, it's not the worst; we only got two new strips total in all of January 2009.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Tolan posted:

I know we really don't have any right and Onstad doesn't owe us anything, but I'd really love to know what's going on behind the scenes. :ohdear:

If you pay for assetbar you have some right as a paying customer. I let mine lapse though since, well, it updates maybe 2 or 3 times a month the past couple.

Also agreein' with the guy who said

"I feel really sad about the way everything Achewood seems to keep receding towards the horizon. "

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Grilldos posted:

Like most monumental works within a medium, Citizen Kane was the first major work to combine several different emerging techniques while taking them all to the next level.

So it was basically Avatar?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

GigaPeon posted:

It's a little-known fact that the butler, the archivist lady and the dancing girls at Kane's party were all entirely mo-cap.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

GigaPeon posted:

"An impressive suite of new techniques in the service of a crappy story" applies pretty well to both, so yes.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If you really want to compare against other months, the archive page very handily displays by month. As dry spells go, it's not the worst; we only got two new strips total in all of January 2009.

January 2009 is when he moved his family from San Francisco to Portland, so I would expect there to be a small amount of strips. August 2010 had only one more strip than that.

I'm certainly not demanding Onstad make with the free entertainment, but I am curious as to the why production has been so low.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

GigaPeon posted:

Citizen Kane has this thing called acting and dialog; Avatar has lazy readings of cliches.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

The Action Man posted:

Citizen Kane has this thing called acting and dialog;
Acting, huh?

Orson Welles posted:

Why? That doesn't make any sense. Sorry. There's no known way of saying an English sentence in which you begin a sentence with "in" and emphasize it. Get me a jury and show me how you can say "in July" and I'll... go down on you. That's just idiotic, if you'll forgive me by saying so. That's just stupid. "In July"? I'd love to know how you emphasize "in" in "in July"... Impossible! Meaningless!

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

McGravin posted:

Acting, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2nf-EQQXUs

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
As hilarious as the original Frozen Peas recording is, I wish this video clip weren't overdubbed. The Pinky & The Brain parody version is pretty awesome. Maurice LaMarche does a great impression of Welles.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

McGravin posted:

As hilarious as the original Frozen Peas recording is, I wish this video clip weren't overdubbed. The Pinky & The Brain parody version is pretty awesome. Maurice LaMarche does a great impression of Welles.

Try this'n.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LaMarche just did Welles again on the most recent Futurama, in another neat rip on Welles' losing his temper over a terrible script.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Orson Welles was fantastic, and LaMarche probably does the best Welles in the voice acting business.

In other news, it seems we're given a peek into the fanflow to tide us over until the next update. Pat's blog is, as usual, the best blog.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Assetbar update, long-form Pat piece. Up to the usual standards, but gosh, that was a long wait.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
The dude has got no mercy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn that was sweet, I'm so conflicted when I read Pat because he makes me so angry but I laugh so hard the entire time.

smashczar
Mar 1, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does Ray have vodka martinis or just ketel one shaked over ice with an olive? I saw a bottle of ketel one the other day and nearly bought it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

smashczar posted:

Does Ray have vodka martinis or just ketel one shaked over ice with an olive? I saw a bottle of ketel one the other day and nearly bought it.

Dogg, there ain't no wrong way to drink vodka, you just gotta have some.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://twitter.com/achewood/status/22873886221

quote:

Was Mr. Mom for last two weeks of summer vac. Got sweet f/a done. Holing up with whisky and anger again.

Mystery solved!

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Deathlove posted:

Mystery solved!

Oh no :ohdear:

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
If you aren't spelling it "whiskey," you aren't drinking it right.

What's "f/a?"

vvv ah. okay, that makes sense. All the possibilities in my head started with "family."

Fillerbunny fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 3, 2010

phuzzylodgik
Oct 20, 2005

Fuck this filter shit.

Fillerbunny posted:

What's "f/a?"

"gently caress all," I do believe.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Deathlove posted:

Mystery solved!
It doesn't really explain the six weeks before that, but hey. It's something.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 3, 2010

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

smashczar posted:

Considering the proper way to make a vodka martini is to put three parts vodka in a shaker, put one part vermouth down the sink, and then shake with ice, pour into a martini glass and fill a toothpick with as many olives as it will fit, I'd say this question is irrelevant.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Onstad says in the intro to 'Worst Song, Played On Ugliest Guitar' that Ray drinks his vodka with no ice, which he (Onstad) presumes to be based on some faulty evidence he read in a Playboy article.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Deathlove posted:

Mystery solved!

YOU DID NOT JUST SPELL WHISKEY INCORRECTLY

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

YOU DID NOT JUST SPELL WHISKEY INCORRECTLY

Hey now, he might just be Scottish:

Wikipedia posted:

Whisky (Scottish English) or whiskey (Irish English) is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Grandpa Pap posted:

Hey now, he might just be Scottish:

My mortal enemies.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Roast Beef posted:

It was a pretty basic "weird scene," like might make sense if you were looking at two fairly sophisticated beetles in a terrarium but man was this guy coming off the whiskey or something. Or is it whisky? No wonder people who drink whiskey are always so mad, they're like WHAT THE HELL AM I DRINKING WHISKY OR WHISKEY and that just makes them drink more. This guy was like that, a man who would drink to excess because his beverage had an outmoded spelling distinction, and then yell at people by the cheap electrical parts store. That is the kind of guy who usually notices me in public.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Shmoses posted:

Onstad says in the intro to 'Worst Song, Played On Ugliest Guitar' that Ray drinks his vodka with no ice, which he (Onstad) presumes to be based on some faulty evidence he read in a Playboy article.

Aw, but the Playboy Advisor has been so helpful to our animal friends over the years. Except Roast Beef.

(That small series of Advisor strips has always been one of my favorites.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Howard Beale posted:

Aw, but the Playboy Advisor has been so helpful to our animal friends over the years. Except Roast Beef.

(That small series of Advisor strips has always been one of my favorites.)
It also shows up here so either Ray is a slave to the Advisor or he IS the Advisor and sometimes gives guff about no ice.

And the first cookbook has a recipe for Diamond Juice which is Ketel 1 with zest. Ray loves his Ketel 1.

and I'm using the numeral to piss people off