Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Just bought 1000 shares of C. A friend of mine along with some of my personal research says its undervalues. Yeah, its volatile, but I'm feeling lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Tuff Ghost posted:

Just bought 1000 shares of C. A friend of mine along with some of my personal research says its undervalues. Yeah, its volatile, but I'm feeling lucky.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Following up on the TTWO talk from a couple weeks ago...

quote:

Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. reported a surprise profit for the July quarter on Tuesday thanks to strong demand for "Red Dead Redemption" and other video game titles. For the third fiscal quarter ended July 31, Take-Two reported net income of $5.9 million, or 7 cents a share, compared with a net loss of $56.5 million, or 73 cents a share, for the same period last year. On a non-GAAP basis, the company said it earned $26 million, or 28 cents a share. That figure excludes certain stock-based compensation items as well as charges related to discontinued operations. Sales jumped more than 273% to $354.1 million. Analysts were expecting a loss of 9 cents a share on a non-GAAP basis on sales of $294.7 million, according to consensus estimates from Thomson Reuters.

Nice. I definitely thought people were underestimating the impact of RDR's success.

(I didn't expect them to knock it this far out of the park, though...)

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 2, 2010

Insaint
Nov 22, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Following up on the TTWO talk from a couple weeks ago...

Nice. I definitely thought people were underestimating the impact of RDR's success.

(I didn't expect them to knock it this far out of the park, though...)

Pretty drat nice. Bought some monday, more for the long term but hey I ain't complaining. Shame I couldn't really risk more than a few % in my portfolio.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Insaint posted:

Pretty drat nice. Bought some monday, more for the long term but hey I ain't complaining. Shame I couldn't really risk more than a few % in my portfolio.

same deal, except I also bought some ATVI as well. Lets see if ATVI gets some action from this because of TTWO's profits refers to the entire gaming business not getting beaten down hard by the economy.

someone explain to me how Apple TV & Amazon dropping movie prices to 99c makes NFLX shoot up in price by 10% in 2 days?

-edit oh NFLX is streaming through Apple TV

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 3, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:smug:

That's all that needs to be said about today.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Josh Lyman posted:

Or for pretty much the last 2 years for that matter. Too bad everything but the stock market got worse and worse.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Soooo do we get above 1,130 this time?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

Soooo do we get above 1,130 this time?

what could possibly make the market move up 3% on a Friday :D?

Magic 8 ball says "not today"

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Dr. Jackal posted:

what could possibly make the market move up 3% on a Friday :D?

Magic 8 ball says "not today"

Oh I didn't mean today.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Josh Lyman posted:

Oh, I dunno. Is it a 2% :smug: or a 5% :smug:?

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
All, excuse my ignorance in this but I am having a hard time googleing this. I don't really know much about options and futures and I stumbled upon this while researching ways of leveraging.

I am trying to find more information on the below link and description, but when I google for 'cash-based call option' I can not find anything nor any brokers that offer them. Is there another official name they go by? Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cash_based.asp
'For example, let's say you purchase a cash-based call option contract with a strike price of $55. You exercise the option when the underlying stock price reaches $60 per share. Since one contract is for one hundred shares, the net value to you is $500 ( (60-55) x 100 ). In this case, you will receive $500 in cash, instead of being required to purchase 100 shares of stock for $55.'

EDIT: The key thing about the above is the 'instead of being required to purchase 100 shares of stock for $55' that is what seperates this from a normal call option, but I can't find it!

PianoDragn fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 3, 2010

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Hey I just discovered this thread! After knocking out all my consumer debt save low interest fed. student loans I opened a margin account at Golden Beneficial with about 26K in it and the 5k buyin for the Roth IRA. It's been a interesting start but thanks to the past month I hit X, FCX, PAAS, shorted JPM, and turned a tidy 800 profit. I pretty much just do SSO and SDS for the Roth since its a cash account and takes forever to settle.

Anyways its nice to find people to chat stocks with. I use the PTT2 from Phil's Gang since I work during the day. I plan on tracking FCX, GDX, XME, PAAS, AUY, and X going into the fall.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ToiletLaw posted:

I pretty much just do SSO and SDS for the Roth since its a cash account and takes forever to settle.

I'm not sure what you mean by this but you should only be using leveraged ETFs for intraday movements, not holding them.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Thoogsby posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this but you should only be using leveraged ETFs for intraday movements, not holding them.

This doesn't really hold true for 2x index funds as they track nearly perfectly even over several months. I've held SDS since 8/3 and it is within .1% of the market.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

greasyhands posted:

This doesn't really hold true for 2x index funds as they track nearly perfectly even over several months. I've held SDS since 8/3 and it is within .1% of the market.
Actually, leveraged ETFs necessarily result in capital destruction: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1571003

See Table 1.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Josh Lyman posted:

Actually, leveraged ETFs necessarily result in capital destruction: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1571003

See Table 1.
Yes, I'm familiar with the argument, I'm just telling you that the 2x index funds appear to be much less susceptible to decay for reasons that are pretty easy to imagine (lower volatility, lower premiums on underlying derivatives, not as leveraged as 3x, etc.) and, no you do not want to hold these things long term, but on a month-month basis SDS and SSO track extremely closely to the underlying indices and they are acceptable for medium term plays (few weeks to a month, I would say).

This doesn't work quite as well if volatility increases like it has in the last 3-4 days (SDS detached by about 1% over the last 3 days due to the large moves). But the bottom line is, SSO will return more than SPY if the s&p moves up over medium time periods even if it's not a perfect 2x. Same is true for SDS. This makes them acceptable medium term plays in my book, as I can expect larger returns for the same capital outlay *if* you bet in the right direction. If you bet in the wrong direction you can expect larger losses.

You'd lose greatly trying this with FAZ or FAS or any of those 3x funds.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 4, 2010

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Well I only have 5k, and follow daily stochastics, so i'm usually only in the stock for 3-4 days at a time, but even when I get out of the stock, I don't have full buying power for at times almost a whole trading week. SDS and SSO work better for my Roth balance than trying to work SPY.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
Duke Nukem Forever confirmed = TTWO up 10%

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

The Good posted:

Duke Nukem Forever confirmed = TTWO up 10%

That makes no sense, they're not even publishing it anymore.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Vatek posted:

That makes no sense, they're not even publishing it anymore.

2k games is, which is owned by take-two? He was obviously joking, but just sayin..

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
I'm holding 132 shares of RSO and plan to sell at the best position, foregoing my dividend moneys.

RSO is going to announce its $0.25/share quarterly dividend in the next two weeks. Sometime between Sept. 27-29, that 0.25 will be taken out of the price and paid to shareholders on record on Sept 30.

When the dividend is taken out of the price, I think this'll lead to a sell-off that extends throughout October, shaving $1-$1.50 off the share price. I'm not feeling too confident about experiencing what post-dividend, October 1st and beyond may hold -- I don't want to lose $132-$200 finding out just for the sake of getting a $33 dividend payment.

My plan:
On September 23 (Thursday), I think RSO's price reaches its highest since April (~ $6.8-7.50). This is the day I plan to sell. On Sept 24, just before the weekend, I predict a big, pre-weekend market sell-off.

Am I thinking on the right page with my prediction of how a high-yield stock would react following a late-September dividend pay out, or am I totally off?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Hi, newbie here.

Does anybody here work with quant or any other algo system? I'm wondering because someone I know is claiming to have made a system based on statistical arbitrage that trades e-minis. From my limited google knowledge that makes no sense since statistical arbitrage is a delta neutral system based on paired stocks...

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 7, 2010

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are definitely arb opportunities between, say, /ES and SPY or /GC and GLD, or other futures and ETFs. There are probably stat arb models for things like /ZN, /ZB and TLT. However it's unlikely that a retail trader would have the firepower or bankroll to reliably exploit any of those opportunities.

PianoDragn posted:

All, excuse my ignorance in this but I am having a hard time googleing this. I don't really know much about options and futures and I stumbled upon this while researching ways of leveraging.

I am trying to find more information on the below link and description, but when I google for 'cash-based call option' I can not find anything nor any brokers that offer them. Is there another official name they go by? Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cash_based.asp
'For example, let's say you purchase a cash-based call option contract with a strike price of $55. You exercise the option when the underlying stock price reaches $60 per share. Since one contract is for one hundred shares, the net value to you is $500 ( (60-55) x 100 ). In this case, you will receive $500 in cash, instead of being required to purchase 100 shares of stock for $55.'

EDIT: The key thing about the above is the 'instead of being required to purchase 100 shares of stock for $55' that is what seperates this from a normal call option, but I can't find it!

I don't know of any liquid options that behave like that. There are two main classes of options available to the retail trader: European-style and American-style. European style options are cash-settled, like your description states, however you cannot exercise before expiration. You can exercise American-style options before expiration, however they are settled by exchanging the underlying security, not cash. European-style options are generally options on an index for which there is no underlying security (e.g. SPX for the S&P 500, RUT for the Russell 2000). American-style are generally options for a comapany's stock or an ETF.

At any rate, you can approximate the behavior you describe by just selling the options you own (regardless of whether they're European or American style). However the value of the options won't track the price of the underlying 1-1 as your example implies. Options have a "delta" which is the amount of money an option will move given a 1 point move in the underlying. Delta only hits 100 (indicating a lockstep move with the underlying) very close to expiration.

Trading options just for the inherent leverage is usually a good way to blow up your trading account. There are many more factors involved in options trading than just direction of the underlying. You don't necessarily need to be able to manually calculate Black-Scholes, but you do need a complete understanding of the Greeks, the role of implied volatility, the uses of synthetics and spreads, and dynamic hedging mechanisms.

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 7, 2010

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Plastic Jesus, are there any resources you could recommend for someone trying to learn about options?

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Thoogsby posted:

Plastic Jesus, are there any resources you could recommend for someone trying to learn about options?

http://www.investopedia.com/university/options/

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

quote:

...statistical arbitrage...

This terminology (i.e. both words) is mostly associated with pairs but not limited to it. Statistical arbitrage can mean anything really. There's no reason your acquaintance couldn't have an ETF-based strategy that is in essence what one might call "statistical arbitrage".

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Thoogsby posted:

Thinkorswim has some decent lessons here. Trading Options as a Professional, despite the title, is good for people with a foundation of the basics, and is very thorough. It does cover a lot about market-making and institutional investors that's obviously not applicable to goons, but it's important to know how things work. Options Volatility Trading is a fantastic book, but definitely geared toward intermediate and advanced traders; the author's blog is great too. Actually, there are lots of good options-centric blogs with authors who like viewer mail. IWO and Volatility Trader Blog are both good. So is Option Pit. Stocktwits has a daily options newsletter that's a decent replacement for following a bunch of blogs, since it just collects the best articles from them on a daily basis.

Since options trading is very different from trading stocks or even futures it's important to play around. Thinkorswim lets you do paper trading and Livevol has a free version of their software (feeds for both are lagged I think). I've thought about starting an options thread, but 1) there doesn't seem to be many people here who trade options outside of speculation/covered call writing and 2) the last :effort: thread I posted got like 4 responses.

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax

St00ert posted:

I'm holding 132 shares of RSO and plan to sell at the best position, foregoing my dividend moneys.

RSO is going to announce its $0.25/share quarterly dividend in the next two weeks. Sometime between Sept. 27-29, that 0.25 will be taken out of the price and paid to shareholders on record on Sept 30.

When the dividend is taken out of the price, I think this'll lead to a sell-off that extends throughout October, shaving $1-$1.50 off the share price. I'm not feeling too confident about experiencing what post-dividend, October 1st and beyond may hold -- I don't want to lose $132-$200 finding out just for the sake of getting a $33 dividend payment.

My plan:
On September 23 (Thursday), I think RSO's price reaches its highest since April (~ $6.8-7.50). This is the day I plan to sell. On Sept 24, just before the weekend, I predict a big, pre-weekend market sell-off.

Am I thinking on the right page with my prediction of how a high-yield stock would react following a late-September dividend pay out, or am I totally off?

RSO's daily stochastic shows it very overbought. It's weekly might be turning over suggesting a limited upside trend in the next 2 weeks, which might work for you. However, I would expect a sell off as this hits some resistance in the 6.35-6.40 range. It has low volume right now, which would indicate that the price might not be going much higher. I'd say it's more likely to go down to the 6 dollar range than the 6.80 range by your targeted sell off date. I'd say do profit taking, and wait for the weekly stochastic to come back down for a new entry point.

edit: I hate the yankees but i love US Steel +5% today :)

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

ToiletLaw posted:

RSO's daily stochastic
looks like a classic MACD cross with Stochastic cross for short term.

ToiletLaw posted:

edit: I hate the yankees but i love US Steel +5% today :)

Chinese government says to make less steel because there is a lack of demand. I would think X should be going down or flattening because of the news not riding the train to the top. Any insight on this?

On another note, yay for people using the Euro-bank excuse to sell off stocks and buying into long term (like MCD) and reverse market trend wtf stocks (NFLX).

Anyone else gambling on the finding of the BOP for RIG/HAL/BP combo?

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax
X didnt finish 5 percent up, but I took my profits up near today's high. I've long given up on trying to find they why's on things happening. I got in Friday cause my chart gave me the signal. Stock is gree, stochastics going up. I hit it a few weeks ago when it shot up on 8-17 and 8-18 and took profit on the morning it started to have a breakout point failure. I figure it's going to do the same tomorrow or later this week. Hey, if I can make 400 bucks on a 2 day trade even 25 times a year, I'm killing it.

X is probably going to find resistance in between 49 and 50 and sell off. I'm hoping to catch a nice short around the end of the week or next week.I just played it conservative and took my profits today.

Click here for the full 917x453 image.

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008

ToiletLaw posted:

RSO's daily stochastic shows it very overbought. It's weekly might be turning over suggesting a limited upside trend in the next 2 weeks, which might work for you. However, I would expect a sell off as this hits some resistance in the 6.35-6.40 range. It has low volume right now, which would indicate that the price might not be going much higher. I'd say it's more likely to go down to the 6 dollar range than the 6.80 range by your targeted sell off date. I'd say do profit taking, and wait for the weekly stochastic to come back down for a new entry point.

I really appreciate your insight. I think I'll sell after the dividend is announced. I don't want to get caught when the dividend sinks the price just as every newspaper does its 'Recession: Two Years Later' story.

EDIT: My fun penny stock, BXI.TO, just produced its first canola protein extract; shares shot up 8 % :smug:

St00ert fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 8, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Dropped out of PAL @ 3.70 today, $0.20 over my target from $2.99. Not too shabby for three weeks.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Picked up CREE @ 50.3 today, I think the massive selling on it is completely silly given the downgrades were for other LED companies due to a slow down in the LCD tv sector, which composes less than 10% of CREE's business.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Gamesguy posted:

Picked up CREE @ 50.3 today, I think the massive selling on it is completely silly given the downgrades were for other LED companies due to a slow down in the LCD tv sector, which composes less than 10% of CREE's business.

CREEs a good company but their valuation is sky high for a company that specializes in something that is going to eventually be a commodity. In 5-10 years they'll be valued like WDC and STX and everyone in here will be trying to make sense of that.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

greasyhands posted:

CREEs a good company but their valuation is sky high for a company that specializes in something that is going to eventually be a commodity. In 5-10 years they'll be valued like WDC and STX and everyone in here will be trying to make sense of that.

Well right now it is a high growth play, especially if Obama's tax cut plan goes through, which lets businesses write off LED lights as an investment.

I agree with you that it is a pretty risky though, with the slew of downgrades and probably more to come.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 9, 2010

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Well, I wanted to close my Adobe position today anyway. That was a nice little treat.

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Thoogsby posted:

Well, I wanted to close my Adobe position today anyway. That was a nice little treat.

Wow nice 10% gap up. I'm hoping for a nice short for US Steel, Caterpillar, and GDX in the next week or so. I should have shorted X at 49 dollars, but alas I'm too much a pussy.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Picked up some oct KLIC calls and some VXX calls to hedge my longs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm angling to pick up some GDX next week, probably around tuesday/wednesday. Right now shorting Hewlett Packard, and next week, probably around the same time as the GDX play, might get a chance to short Medtronic again. Stochastics are setting up nicely.

edit: i confuse fcx and gdx. copper, gold, its all good.

ToiletLaw fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 14, 2010