Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

evilweasel posted:

How'd you figure out which ones were first editions, I just gave up and ordered the 32 dollar one.

The one that said "first edition" in the description.

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mookie posted:

The one that said "first edition" in the description.

:smugdog:

That kind of attention to detail is why you get paid the big bucks

In other news I saw a job posting for a generally terrible sounding auto insurance claims adjuster job that doesn't require any experience that I think I might actually be qualified for and I hate myself for being genuinely excited about it

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CaptainScraps posted:

Yep. Realize that the whole socratic method of learning is loving bullshit past the first semester, that you'll know how to read a case by the end of your first year, and that the entire third year of schooling is completely and utterly unnecessary.

You tell me. We START socratic classes during the second year. It's such a loving joke that you HAVE to be there to listen to the professor going "okay, so in this stolen property case, what was the stolen property? Any hands?" for forty five minutes.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Mr. Fictitious posted:

Hello lawthread. I successfully quit lawschool. Just fyi. :cool:

Good luck yelly bird!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Which one of you is a 40-something year old gay salon owner in Philadelphia? I thought you were very nice to the Villanova law student that came in. You did a great job explaining to him that while Villanova is a great law school, he should really be worried about the job market and finding employment after graduation. You also mentioned that law school isn't what it used to be.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 3, 2010

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Residency Evil posted:

Which one of you is a 40-something year old gay salon owner in Philadelphia? I thought you were very nice to the Villanova law student that came in. You did a great job explaining to him that while Villanova is a great law school, he should really be worried about the job market and finding employment after graduation. You also mentioned that law school isn't what it used to be.

I hope there are more of these people out there. When I tell other hobos that I dropped out of law school they usually look at me with this weird mixture of confusion and disdain, like I must hate money or something. It's kind of a relief (for me, not him) that my girlfriend's father is the only surviving consultant of a gutted firm, because when I said I dropped out of law school to suck dicks his response was "good choice." That understanding is a mild solace, but it's nice to know that at least some people get it.

None of this would have happened at Fordham.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I take it you didn't start up with all the other idiots last month

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Mr. Fictitious posted:

Hello lawthread. I successfully quit lawschool. Just fyi. :cool:

Unironically wishing I was you

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Defleshed posted:

I do think my life and health would have been much better off if I had just dropped out after my first semester of 1L year.

Either that or I could have faked a "thumb disability" like one of my classmates did so he could get extra time on his finals. It helped him get on to law review.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Defleshed posted:

I realized this would be me by about OCI time and then for the rest of my life.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
For some reason I just kept pushing on... (probably because I didn't discover this thread until I was a 2L)

So now I am an "attorney" with all the attendant debt and none of the privileges.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

I just wiki'd "A Serbian Film". Holy poo poo.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
what exactly are the privileges of being an attorney?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Bar dues and mandatory CLE.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

billion dollar bitch posted:

what exactly are the privileges of being an attorney?

your mother stops bugging you to go to law school

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nm posted:

^^^^
what state?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0899419763/ref=oss_product

edit: Son of a bitch, there is now a 1927 copy for sale. Canceled 1995 order, now have a 1927 1st edition, woo!
There should be a 1995 copy in stock now.

my email posted:

Your order dated 08/31/10 was shipped via USPS.
gently caress yeah! Should have sprung for the expensive shipping though

Incredulous Red posted:

She then bugs you about living at home and not having girlfriends though

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Incredulous Red posted:

No, then your mother will bug you about why you chose to be a public defender instead of getting a real job.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joat mon posted:

No, then your mother will bug you about why you chose to be a public defender instead of getting a real job.
I'm glad my mommy is a hippy.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

woo got a job clerking at a family law firm today! get ready to lose or else have greatly reduced your child support, b1tches

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

nm posted:

I'm glad my mommy is a hippy.

I internalized my folk's views on :patriot: and service to country more deeply than my mom realized. She's much better now.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Draile posted:

Bar dues and mandatory CLE.
I was going to make this joke but realized I have to pay my DC dues in the next few weeks or my license gets suspended, have to pay for 12 CLE credit units by a month after that, and I haven't worked in 2 weeks and I got too depressed to finish the post.

But now I'm over it and its all funny again.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Kase Im Licht posted:

I was going to make this joke but realized I have to pay my DC dues in the next few weeks or my license gets suspended, have to pay for 12 CLE credit units by a month after that, and I haven't worked in 2 weeks and I got too depressed to finish the post.

But now I'm over it and its all funny again.

Future Legal Rebel™ posting ITT

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

oh man, this case is perfect! it totally validates my entire arguNOTICE: THIS OPINION IS DESIGNATED AS UNPUBLISHED AND MAY NOT BE CITED EXCEPT AS PROVIDED BY MINN. ST. SEC. 480A.08(3).

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

God drat that just happened like 3 times.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

TyChan posted:

Either that or I could have faked a "thumb disability" like one of my classmates did so he could get extra time on his finals. It helped him get on to law review.
That rules

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
MINN. ST. SEC. 480A.08(3) - Do you really really want to?

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Elotana posted:

MINN. ST. SEC. 480A.08(3) - Do you really really want to?

subd. 1 DEFINITIONS
(a) Do.
(b) You.
(c) Really.
(d) Really.
(e) Want.
(f) To.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Incredulous Red posted:

Future Legal Rebel™ posting ITT

If he is going to be a Legal Rebel,™ he also has to fork over the cash for a leather jacket and motorcycle.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solomon Grundy posted:

If he is going to be a Legal Rebel,™ he also has to fork over the cash for a leather jacket and motorcycle.

He's not 40 and divorced yet.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Solomon Grundy posted:

I don't know if that is enough to cut it. I'm pretty sure I read in the latest ABA Journal that one of the Legal Rebels™ is counsel for the ruler of Dubai. She's a rebel because she does this from her home in Arkansas and claims she is fostering "socioeconomic and humanitarian projects" over there.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Solomon Grundy posted:

I think Legal Rebel™ is just code for "niche practice with limited book of clients" or "doesn't practice law with his/her JD"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think Legal Rebel is just code for "I'm a smug douche"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Arsteia posted:

oh man, this case is perfect! it totally validates my entire arguNOTICE: THIS OPINION IS DESIGNATED AS UNPUBLISHED AND MAY NOT BE CITED EXCEPT AS PROVIDED BY MINN. ST. SEC. 480A.08(3).

quote:

Unpublished opinions of the Court of Appeals are not precedential. Unpublished opinions must not be cited unless the party citing the unpublished opinion provides a full and correct copy to all other counsel at least 48 hours before its use in any pretrial conference, hearing, or trial. If cited in a brief or memorandum of law, a copy of the unpublished opinion must be provided to all other counsel at the time the brief or memorandum is served, and other counsel may respond.
Just do it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

^^^^
Use it. Footnote it like this:
Counsel has been unable to find a published decision which directly addresses the issue before the Court. Pursuant to MINN. ST. SEC. 480A.08(3) a copy of the xxxx decision is attached and has been provided to opposing counsel.

Our highest (and only) appellate court only publishes about 30 cases a year. The unpublished cases are just about all we've got.
^^^^

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think Legal Rebel is just code for "I'm a smug douche"

The Legal Rebel Manifesto is equal parts hokum and pablum:

Legal Rebels posted:

I am a proud member of America's essential profession. Without lawyers and the rule of law, a free, fair and open society is not sustainable.

I recognize that the legal profession's traditions - the world's most respected legal education system, most successful law firms and fairest court system - were once radical innovations.

In this time of economic crisis, I am committed to improving those institutions and creating innovation in the practice of law. I will question and, when appropriate, change the status quo. And I will use technology to serve my clients and society.

I'll help remake the profession I hold dear so it can continue to deliver on America's promise.

I'm an innovator. A maverick. A pathfinder.

I am a Legal Rebel.
Wow. You really have to take a personal and professional risk to sign on to the 'Rebel' 'manifesto.'

You can tell by the mani-photo:

Very rebelicious. How mavericky.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

joat mon posted:

^^^^
Counsel has been unable to find a published decision which directly addresses the issue before the Court. Pursuant to MINN. ST. SEC. 480A.08(3) a copy of the xxxx decision is attached and has been provided to opposing counsel.
I don't think the footnote is necessary. Just cite it normally and attach (IMO, of course).

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Yeah just cite that bitch and attach it it happens all the time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

joat mon posted:

The Legal Rebel Manifesto is equal parts hokum and pablum:

Wow. You really have to take a personal and professional risk to sign on to the 'Rebel' 'manifesto.'

You can tell by the mani-photo:

Very rebelicious. How mavericky.

I just barfed

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Being at the office late blows rear end but legal work is so much better with loud profanity-laden music, kind of like how a kick to the groin is better without the punch in the mouth.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Okay, this job sucks. Philly has not discovered the secret that NY has - don't get in to the office until 10 am and then working late doesn't seem so bad. When you have to be in by 7:50 am, working til 11 pm seems way, way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

joat mon posted:

^^^^

Our highest (and only) appellate court only publishes about 30 cases a year. The unpublished cases are just about all we've got.
^^^^

Cool, thanks. I'm going to cite them but I still can't use them as precedent tho :sweatdrop: