Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Blaster of Justice posted:

I don't think you've seen all of Kululas poo poo:

The rest is here: https://www.kulula.com/info/aircraf...llery-awareness

Holy poo poo if I could just fly them from now on I would give them all my business just for their sense of humor.

ETA: Oops, new page content needed..

Click here for the full 1800x1400 image.

Tindjin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
The gently caress is that

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Looks like an air tractor flying through a cloud of red smoke. The spiral is the tip vortex.

If it's not an airshow, and he actually sprayed that red stuff (he's not spraying anything in the photo), then I have no idea what the gently caress it is. Probably really bad to inhale. So many memories of hanging out at my grandparents' dairy farm and watching the crop dusters in the fields down the road...and then the buttery chlorine smell that hangs around for a few hours and makes you feel just a little bit drunk. Good times

orange lime fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 4, 2010

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

grover posted:

I always wanted an aeroplane that I could paint like that, but wrong.

Have the landing gear sign point to the door, the left wing sign point to the right wing, that kind of thing.

Just to piss off the accident investigators if I ever did have a crash.

GTi
Feb 1, 2006
16 valves of fury

Nait Sirhc posted:

The gently caress is that

Wingtip vortices. Turbulent air that curls off the end of the wingtip. A lot of larger aircraft have winglets that stick up at the edge of the wing to reduce the effect these have. There are some good videos of these vortices in action on the NASA/Dryden research page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingtip_vortices

Edit; links to the videos are on the wiki page but here they are anyway;
http://www1.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Movie/C-5A/HTML/EM-0085-01.html
http://www1.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Movie/L-1011/index.html

GTi fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 4, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

:australia: Never forget.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Click here for the full 980x667 image.

Can carry MORE than the B-52, has more RANGE than the B-52, and only 100 mph slower than the B-52.

gently caress yeah, I'm in the USAF and I like the Tu-95 more than the B-52

Anyone else notice the nose on that one looks DISTINCTLY like a B-17 nose?

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

CommieGIR posted:

Click here for the full 980x667 image.

Anyone else notice the nose on that one looks DISTINCTLY like a B-17 nose?

HAhahah, yes - and there is a very good reason for this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ursa_minor posted:

HAhahah, yes - and there is a very good reason for this.

Actually, I know what you are thinking, however the Tu-95 is based on B-29 designs

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

2ndclasscitizen posted:

The F-111 is a fat ugly pig that was never truly good at anything it did, and it killed the SR-71 to boot. :colbert:

*slaps with glove*

CommieGIR posted:

Actually, I know what you are thinking, however the Tu-95 is based on B-29 designs

"Entirely ripped off, down to the placement of rivets and routing of wires" is more like it. Though I understand that there are a few weird differences, such as the Tu-95 being somewhat heavier since the closest metric equivalent of the panels used for the B-29's skin is actually marginally thicker than the actual Imperial dimension.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

orange lime posted:

The F-111 is a fat ugly pig that was never truly good at anything it did, and it killed the SR-71 to boot. :colbert:

*slaps with glove*

"Entirely ripped off, down to the placement of rivets and routing of wires" is more like it. Though I understand that there are a few weird differences, such as the Tu-95 being somewhat heavier since the closest metric equivalent of the panels used for the B-29's skin is actually marginally thicker than the actual Imperial dimension.

The Tu-4 was the EXACT ripoff, the Tu-95 was brought into replace it, but it kept it close to the design

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

CommieGIR posted:

The Tu-4 was the EXACT ripoff, the Tu-95 was brought into replace it, but it kept it close to the design

Though they did a fair amount of non-US-derived R&D on the platform as the years went on, including a civilian transport, and of course this tuboprop AWACS that I always post pictures of:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slo-Tek posted:

Though they did a fair amount of non-US-derived R&D on the platform as the years went on, including a civilian transport, and of course this tuboprop AWACS that I always post pictures of:

Now THAT is cool! Gotta hate when your 'cultural revolution' ruins very good projects

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 5, 2010

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

orange lime posted:

Interestingly, the Shvestov engines used on the Tu-4 were related to the Wright R-3350s on the B-29 - they were both evolutions of the Wright R-1820, an engine that the Soviets built under license production before WWII. Ironically, the Shvestov engine was slightly more powerful and vastly more reliable than the R-3350 fitted to early B-29s.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Interestingly, the Shvestov engines used on the Tu-4 were related to the Wright R-3350s on the B-29 - they were both evolutions of the Wright R-1820, an engine that the Soviets built under license production before WWII. Ironically, the Shvestov engine was slightly more powerful and vastly more reliable than the R-3350 fitted to early B-29s.

Yes they were, in fact it was so common for B-29s to blow engines or have oil fires thanks to the R-3350, which the Soviets solved with the licensed re-design

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Slo-Tek posted:

That plane is my desktop on at least two computers at work, and it ALWAYS gets someone to double-take (I fly on the E-3).

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Godholio posted:

That plane is my desktop on at least two computers at work, and it ALWAYS gets someone to double-take (I fly on the E-3).

When you say that it's your desktop at work, and that you fly on the E-3, are you saying that it's your desktop for the computers that you use while flying in the E-3?

Because that's awesome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Alas, our nearly-50 year old computer system prevents me from using it ON the jet, but I use it on the computers in our squadron. But 98% of the people in there are also AWACS aircrew, so it's almost as awesome.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That sweet negative-G turn they did on the second pass was to die for. And some of the aerobatics on the East-West passes, you could really tell the pilots were opening them up and really enjoying it up there for their last time.

I'm going to miss them so much :cry:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Alas, our nearly-50 year old computer system prevents me from using it ON the jet, but I use it on the computers in our squadron. But 98% of the people in there are also AWACS aircrew, so it's almost as awesome.

Are you guys using SCNS on your planes?

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

http://vimeo.com/14687612

Wing wave!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gorilla Salad posted:

I always wanted an aeroplane that I could paint like that, but wrong.

Have the landing gear sign point to the door, the left wing sign point to the right wing, that kind of thing.

Just to piss off the accident investigators if I ever did have a crash.

Build a model. With enough skill you could do whatever you wanted.

(I was 'spergin' out earlier on in the thread about Russian cargo aircraft because I was in the middle of building a An-124 model and was doing lots of reading about Antonovs and the like.)

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Speaking of building models, I really want to try building a radio-controlled version of some of those crazy turn-of-the-century flying machine designs, just to see what they could have done with a modern engine and a good power:weight ratio. How awesome would it be to see these things flying around?

The first one in particular -- that poo poo's awesome.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've always been partial to B1s taking off at night with afterburners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jkXBTGfjKI&feature=fvw

Also they are holy poo poo loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvjqHHdaHXI&feature=related

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Plinkey posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jkXBTGfjKI&feature=fvw

Imagine being in the Soviet Union and seeing a bunch of those things blasting down a canyon, 200 feet above the ground, at Mach 1.5. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

And what's the huge-rear end cloud of smoke on takeoff? Water injection?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

orange lime posted:

Imagine being in the Soviet Union and seeing a bunch of those things blasting down a canyon, 200 feet above the ground, at Mach 1.5. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

They do this weekly, probably almost daily in Afghanistan. "Show of force" at 500 feet Mach 1+.

Not sure what the cloud is possibly something with the nozzles changing when it goes weight off wheels?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Plinkey posted:

That is a big bird moving very fast, good god drat.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

orange lime posted:

Speaking of building models, I really want to try building a radio-controlled version of some of those crazy turn-of-the-century flying machine designs, just to see what they could have done with a modern engine and a good power:weight ratio. How awesome would it be to see these things flying around?

The first one in particular -- that poo poo's awesome.

That's an awesome idea and I'd like to see it too, though I suspect that most of the machines are either way too fragile or heavy to fly. The Wright Brothers did a lot of research to build the Wright flyer. For example, they discovered errors in the formula for lift that had been accepted for 50 years. I think they also had to do some pretty serious math to develop proper air propellers.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
the physics changes in strange ways as you get to smaller aircraft.

most of the planes had so many guy wires that their glide ratio would be non-existant. :-(

People have made flying models of most of the historic "silly" planes. With some mild care with cg choice, and sufficient power, almost anything will fly.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I was thinking of using a little tiny brushless motor, balsa for the main spars, carbon-fiber for the thinner struts, and mylar instead of fabric. The guy wires would be actual ~30-ga aluminum wires. Just need to mount the battery and electronics into a balsa block shaped like a person and we're golden.

I admit that nearly anything can fly when it's tiny and light (a paper airplane for instance?) but it would still be pretty drat cool to see the Vuia II flying around at the field. Too many people get all nuts about making models of warbirds, or of the latest Russian vaporware fighter, when the truly weird and wild stuff happened in the first 10 years of powered flight.

[e] and yeah with the power:weight ratios of some of the systems out there now, you can make any model just hover and accelerate vertically. I'd be shooting for something more equivalent to "what if they had an engine with twice the specific power?"

orange lime fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 7, 2010

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Um radial wing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArgrDsIe_7Y&feature=related

Who knew it would work? Any advantages outside of the novelty?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sterndotstern posted:

Um radial wing?

Kinda like this?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tindjin posted:

ETA: Oops, new page content needed..

Click here for the full 1800x1400 image.

Reminds me of that god-awful 80s movie where an aircraft carrier gets thrown through some time-vortex to 1941 and they end up trying to intercept the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor before being thrown back through another time-vortex to the present...

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Geoj posted:

Reminds me of that god-awful 80s movie where an aircraft carrier gets thrown through some time-vortex to 1941 and they end up trying to intercept the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor before being thrown back through another time-vortex to the present...

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH 'The Final Countdown' was the BEST movie ever* :colbert:

* After 'Red Dawn'

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Wicaeed posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH 'The Final Countdown' was the BEST movie ever* :colbert:

* After 'Red Dawn'

Huh, I thought he was talking about The Philadelphia Experiment. Got it backwards though -- in The Final Countdown, it's an aircraft carrier going from the 1980s to the 1940s, and in the Philadelphia Experiment, it's a destroyer going from the 1940s to the 1980s. Obviously two totally different movies.

I must say I love IMDB's spoiler system though.

Unspoilered text:
"A modern aircraft carrier is thrown back in time to 1941 near Hawaii, just hours before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour."

SPOILER ALERT! ROLLOVER TO VIEW PLOT KEYWORDS!!
Japanese | Pearl Harbor | Aircraft Carrier | Uss Nimitz | Harbor

Nice.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 7, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Are you guys using SCNS on your planes?

I don't know what that is, so I'll assume it's far too modern. We have a variant of the IBM 4Pi, programmed in JOVIAL. In the late 90s we got rid of the reel-to-reel stuff and now use a reel-to-reel emulator to trick the computer, which makes the all-to-common computer restart a pain in the rear end that can take minutes depending on the partition arrangement.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

Sterndotstern posted:

Um radial wing?

Less lift-induced drag since you've basically created a wing with infinite aspect ratio. You know how modern airliners have blended winglets to reduce drag? Think of it as the ultimate winglet.

Plinkey posted:

I've stood next to one while running in this test cell (the engine pictured is an F136, not an F101 from the B1):

Click here for the full 900x600 image.

When it goes into full augmentor (afterburner), it'll knock the wind out of you, even though the engine is completely sealed inside that cell. Note the thickness of the cell wall in the opening. Fun stuff.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Forum Hussy posted:

poo poo, sorry. I forgot about this after I got home. lovely cell phone shots, but here they are:

Thank you, this is a thing of beauty.

It's my dream plane. Mine would be rebuilt by elves with spars of solid unobtanium, but still.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Understeer posted:

Less lift-induced drag since you've basically created a wing with infinite aspect ratio. You know how modern airliners have blended winglets to reduce drag? Think of it as the ultimate winglet.

I've stood next to one while running in this test cell (the engine pictured is an F136, not an F101 from the B1):

Click here for the full 900x600 image.

When it goes into full augmentor (afterburner), it'll knock the wind out of you, even though the engine is completely sealed inside that cell. Note the thickness of the cell wall in the opening. Fun stuff.

No shade tree mechanic-ing those bastards.:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Nerobro posted:

With some mild care with cg choice, and sufficient power, almost anything will fly.

No kidding. How about an RC flying lawnmower.