Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

SexyGoofTroopGrl posted:

I've always been infatuated with the rick4003, but I've never even held one (closest carrier is a hour drive through the city...). Basically I'm wondering how it feels to use the instrument; how the size/weight compares to, say, a fender jazz? I'm not planning on getting one blind or anything, just day dreaming :allears:
The body is thinner and flat and both sides. The top side has binding around the edge that makes an uncomfortable sharp edge for your arm if you're used to resting it on a Fender style body (they did make an "S" model that didn't have the binding as well as some other changes, they are hard to find though). The neck can be fat or skinny depending on the year. String spacing is more Jazz than Precision, and the scale length is slightly shorter than standard (like 33.5 vs 34). Weight would be average to slightly lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

So, I've recently picked my 4-string back up - I purchased it on a whim with a decent (Behringer Thunderbird) practice amp a few years ago, got the very basics down and never followed up. In the last few days I've actually looked into practice books and websites and I'm slowly and repetitively working on my basic technique (muting, fretting, being able to accurately strike different strings while muting etc), but I would like some direction.

I can't afford lessons at the moment and I'm going to be moving within the month anyway, so I'd like to make the most of my time on my own. The kind of music I want to end up playing a long time from now is progressive metal ala Cynic, but I'm a realistic person and realize I'll be stuck playing simple songs for a long time. That said, what's the best way to get me up to playing along-side songs in the first place? As a beginner, should I do exercises and technical practice for a couple of months before even playing songs, or should I try to get into the rhythm of real music as soon as possible?

E: Electric Wizard is one of my favourite bands, and their bass generally sounds pretty simplistic and it's slow to boot. Is this an appropriate sort of thing for a beginner to fiddle around with, or should I aim even lower?

Faffel fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 29, 2010

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Faffel posted:

So, I've recently picked my 4-string back up - I purchased it on a whim with a decent (Behringer Thunderbird) practice amp a few years ago, got the very basics down and never followed up. In the last few days I've actually looked into practice books and websites and I'm slowly and repetitively working on my basic technique (muting, fretting, being able to accurately strike different strings while muting etc), but I would like some direction.

I can't afford lessons at the moment and I'm going to be moving within the month anyway, so I'd like to make the most of my time on my own. The kind of music I want to end up playing a long time from now is progressive metal ala Cynic, but I'm a realistic person and realize I'll be stuck playing simple songs for a long time. That said, what's the best way to get me up to playing along-side songs in the first place? As a beginner, should I do exercises and technical practice for a couple of months before even playing songs, or should I try to get into the rhythm of real music as soon as possible?

E: Electric Wizard is one of my favourite bands, and their bass generally sounds pretty simplistic and it's slow to boot. Is this an appropriate sort of thing for a beginner to fiddle around with, or should I aim even lower?

I'm completely self taught and now after 2 years of practise can play most stuff I'm interested in. My advice is starts playing to songs immediately AND start blocking riffs. Don't rely on tabs since most tabs on the internet are incorrect. If you want to play stuff like Electric Wizard, know your blues scale. Technique you can learn on the side, but from my experience doing nothing but technique excersizes is boring as hell and can kill your motivation. What I did was 30 minutes of technique, then an hour or so of playing to songs or learning basslines, playing in general, then another 30 minutes of technique if I felt like it.

Electric Wizard is perfect for a beginner. I'd also look into regular blues as well since a lot of the things that make stoner so good is taken straight out of blues. Sabbath is another good one, although Geezers bass lines are a bit more advanced. Weedeater, Bongzilla, Eyehategod, all sludge is fun and relatively easy to learn.

Some songs I learned when I first started playing: Weedeater - Bull, Bongzilla - Amerijuanican, Black Sabbath - Everything I could get tabs for.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 29, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

SexyGoofTroopGrl posted:

I've always been infatuated with the rick4003, but I've never even held one (closest carrier is a hour drive through the city...). Basically I'm wondering how it feels to use the instrument; how the size/weight compares to, say, a fender jazz? I'm not planning on getting one blind or anything, just day dreaming :allears:

I have a '72 Jazz and a '77 4001. Like DrChu says, if you're used to Fender types you'll have to change your stance a bit. This won't take long though; Ricks are comfortable instruments in general. You may even find the 4003 more versatile in terms of playability and sound in the long run.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm completely self taught and now after 2 years of practise can play most stuff I'm interested in. My advice is starts playing to songs immediately AND start blocking riffs. Don't rely on tabs since most tabs on the internet are incorrect. If you want to play stuff like Electric Wizard, know your blues scale. Technique you can learn on the side, but from my experience doing nothing but technique excersizes is boring as hell and can kill your motivation. What I did was 30 minutes of technique, then an hour or so of playing to songs or learning basslines, playing in general, then another 30 minutes of technique if I felt like it.

Electric Wizard is perfect for a beginner. I'd also look into regular blues as well since a lot of the things that make stoner so good is taken straight out of blues. Sabbath is another good one, although Geezers bass lines are a bit more advanced. Weedeater, Bongzilla, Eyehategod, all sludge is fun and relatively easy to learn.

Some songs I learned when I first started playing: Weedeater - Bull, Bongzilla - Amerijuanican, Black Sabbath - Everything I could get tabs for.

This is awesome to hear - thank you. One thing about playing to songs that's really hard for me is that I haven't developed a musical ear and I have a tough time picking out the bass in most metal songs - is this the kind of thing that I'll just develop with experience and time?

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma

Faffel posted:

This is awesome to hear - thank you. One thing about playing to songs that's really hard for me is that I haven't developed a musical ear and I have a tough time picking out the bass in most metal songs - is this the kind of thing that I'll just develop with experience and time?

Yea it just takes more/less time depending on your music affinity

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Faffel posted:

It's definitely a skill that gets better with practise. Knowing scales, root notes and so on helps a lot so reading on some theory is very useful. I don't know much and right now it's my biggest weakness. But in my opinion all that can come later, first just learn how to play some songs, find the groove and the riff. Then if you feel constrained by the lack of theoretical knowledge you can learn that.

Oh and youtube has a bunch of helpful video tutorials for beginners. I'd check those out, for example Dave Marks's videos. Proper technique is pretty important and if you learn to play wrong it's a lot harder to unlearn.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I picked up a used Tech 21 SansAmp Programmable Driver DDI and I'm pretty overwhelmed... I've never had any sort of pedal with more than 3 knobs, and it didn't come with the manual (I assume it has some presets/tips). Once I realized that even a minuscule adjustment can have a huge impact on the sound, I got lost for hours without really accomplishing anything... does anyone have any experience with it/favorite settings/tips?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

SexyGoofTroopGrl posted:

I picked up a used Tech 21 SansAmp Programmable Driver DDI and I'm pretty overwhelmed... I've never had any sort of pedal with more than 3 knobs, and it didn't come with the manual (I assume it has some presets/tips). Once I realized that even a minuscule adjustment can have a huge impact on the sound, I got lost for hours without really accomplishing anything... does anyone have any experience with it/favorite settings/tips?
I assume you mean the Programmable Bass Driver DI, here's the manual - http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/manuals/sansamp/BassDriver-Prog-OM.pdf

There are some sample settings in there. You could also just start with all the controls set to flat and try just adjusting one or two knobs at a time until you get more comfortable with what it does. I had the regular BDDI a while ago and the VT Bass now, and generally I would start at a neutral setting (which on the VT Bass is not all knobs at 12 o'clock), then decide what type of sound I'm going for, like for overdrive I would boost the gain and drop the treble, possibly bump up the bass a little.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I went through the presets and fooled around a lot and found that many of them sounded extremely similar and 'buzzy'(like a low, electronic growl) instead of as defined and varied like here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qi-UQ4jvAs .

I've got a GKMB115 so I don't think the amp should 'under perform', I'm wondering if the tone/volume settings on the amp or guitar itself could be interfering?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
My sansamp adds a quiet but annoying buzz to the signal too. My jazz isn't properly grounded either, so that adds to the problem when I don't have my hand on the strings. Only solution i can think of for the sansamp is a noise gate, like the G string.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008
I had a PBBDI for a while and it didn't do it for me. For years I read nothing but glowing reviews of this thing, and I finally decided that I simply had to have one, and it never lived up to the "magic box" hype that seemed to surround it. I gave it a few solid months, but down the road it went. I ended up with a nice overdrive pedal instead (a Fulltone, it is pretty much always on.)

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

black_mastermind posted:

I had a PBBDI for a while and it didn't do it for me. For years I read nothing but glowing reviews of this thing, and I finally decided that I simply had to have one, and it never lived up to the "magic box" hype that seemed to surround it. I gave it a few solid months, but down the road it went. I ended up with a nice overdrive pedal instead (a Fulltone, it is pretty much always on.)

I'm wondering if this is the case... it was cheap and I had heard nothing but good, but as far as I can tell I can only get about 3 distinguishably different sounds to come out of it (a heavy techno/electronic 'distortion', an unremarkable booming clean that sounds no better than the guitar plugged directly into the amp, and a plain, weak boost that adds more noise than character). I was certain it had something to do with gain/boost settings on the amp, or something, but hours later I'm wondering if the pedal is just not gonna cut its weight...

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
So I went ahead and bought it. 2x15 Kustom Groove. It loving rocks so hard.
The new cab with my 5 string

My crazy 70s model bass head of doom that the internet knows not about (lol thc-300)

And from our friends south of the border my 18 year old MIM Jazz

I gotta say it's a massive improvement over the old worn out 2x12 and 1x15 cab I had that couldn't even handle a quarter of the power of the bass head. Everything vibrates it's so loving sweet.

membranoid fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 31, 2010

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
What are some good acoustic basses for around $300-400?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sorry for asking this question if it's retarded, but I stupidly got a crybaby wah pedal a few weeks ago. I say stupidly because while I love using it, the majority of my time is spent playing bass and not guitar. So I was wondering, can I use it for bass as well, or do I need a special wah pedal for bass?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Nail Rat posted:

Sorry for asking this question if it's retarded, but I stupidly got a crybaby wah pedal a few weeks ago. I say stupidly because while I love using it, the majority of my time is spent playing bass and not guitar. So I was wondering, can I use it for bass as well, or do I need a special wah pedal for bass?

You can use it, but depending on the model of cry baby wah you have, it will change the sound a bit and could remove some of the low end. You aren't going to hurt anything if that's what you are asking.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Schatten posted:

You can use it, but depending on the model of cry baby wah you have, it will change the sound a bit and could remove some of the low end. You aren't going to hurt anything if that's what you are asking.

That's what I was asking, thanks. This particular model has a ton of poo poo I can adjust, so I might be able to at least get some kind of sound I like out of it.

STACK OVERFLOW
Apr 17, 2007

... PWND!

Bone posted:

I have this Ibanez bass, and I highly recommend it. Nice raw sound, decent electronics and all around good package.

I payed $440 CAD for mine two years ago, which is just outside your price range at current exchange rates, but have a look around for that series of basses.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bone posted:

If you can find a Kramer Ferrington, they make one of the best acoustic/electric basses I've played. I usually see them for $300-450.

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.

Nail Rat posted:

That's what I was asking, thanks. This particular model has a ton of poo poo I can adjust, so I might be able to at least get some kind of sound I like out of it.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can just increase the values of the input and output capacitors to give it some extra beef. (If you're extra handy with a soldering iron you can set up a way to switch between capacitors to turn the extra beef on and off!)

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma

Manky posted:

If you can find a Kramer Ferrington, they make one of the best acoustic/electric basses I've played. I usually see them for $300-450.

Too bad they've got those dumb sloped headstocks

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

I know my Jimi Hendrix cry baby doesn't play well with bass, but that's probably one of the most tonally-limited models around.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
What's a guy gotta do to get a Ric 4001 (or even 4003 look-alike) around here? I've been scouring eBay on and off for months and nothing really looks reliable.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

What's a guy gotta do to get a Ric 4001 (or even 4003 look-alike) around here? I've been scouring eBay on and off for months and nothing really looks reliable.
Here's one that popped up. Great deal.
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9654917#post9654917

Otherwise, check ricresource.com. 4001's and 4003's are out there, are you sure you've been looking? Or are you trying to get one for under a grand?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was in Guitar Center today, seeing if they had any decent Labor Day sales (nope). While I was there I noticed a StingRay knock off. The only name on the headstock was "Austin" and I can't seem to find anything about it online. It actually played and sounded pretty nice, but I wasn't about to buy it without knowing more. Anyone heard of the bass/company before?

chordate posted:

Too bad they've got those dumb sloped headstocks

True enough. I love the sound enough to forgive it, though.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

If you are talking about a low cost copy of one. Unless you troll eBay almost daily and come across one with a buy it now the chances are pretty slim.
Rickenbacker is very protective of their copyrighted body styles, and will have the auctions pulled within a matter of hours.

fenderbirds
Jul 15, 2010

by angerbeet
i was lookin at buying a headphone or miniamp to practice on. does anyone have any experience with

http://www.amazon.com/Vox-AmPlug-Bass-Guitar-Headphone/dp/B001GH4H3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1283726763&sr=8-1

or

http://www.amazon.com/Tech-Pocket-Rock-Standard-Headphone/dp/B003LJJOJA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1283726763&sr=8-5

I'm not really looking for powerhouses, just something to play with.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

fenderbirds posted:

i was lookin at buying a headphone or miniamp to practice on. does anyone have any experience with

http://www.amazon.com/Tech-Pocket-Rock-Standard-Headphone/dp/B003LJJOJA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1283726763&sr=8-5

I own this and I'm pretty happy with it. Good for late night jamming to the iPod. Keep in mind you'll want a 90 degree extension on it if you don't have a straight-in plug. If your basses output jack is angled at all (think Ibanez) it won't fit.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

fenderbirds posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Vox-AmPlug-Bass-Guitar-Headphone/dp/B001GH4H3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1283726763&sr=8-1

or

If you havce an iPod Touch or iPhone, you could always check out the Amplitube iRig. It's about the same price range with more flexability, a built in tuner and a built in metronome.

fenderbirds
Jul 15, 2010

by angerbeet

gotly posted:

I own this and I'm pretty happy with it. Good for late night jamming to the iPod. Keep in mind you'll want a 90 degree extension on it if you don't have a straight-in plug. If your basses output jack is angled at all (think Ibanez) it won't fit.

That's good, i have a precision. I've held one of the guitar Vox plugs and it felt kinda flimsy, does this one have a little more heft to it?

Luff posted:

If you havce an iPod Touch or iPhone, you could always check out the Amplitube iRig. It's about the same price range with more flexability, a built in tuner and a built in metronome.

i don't have either but that's actually pretty cool

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

fenderbirds posted:

That's good, i have a precision. I've held one of the guitar Vox plugs and it felt kinda flimsy, does this one have a little more heft to it?

No, it's cheap plastic. Same build as the guitar ones, I'm actually not sure what the difference is between the two. I've had it for over a year and it works fine. It's not like it sees a lot of wear and tear. I'm not bringing it to a gig.

The BERNiNATOR
Jul 19, 2007

SANDOR!
I just got a new instrument, and this is my first time having one that is more than a few years old. I just picked up a '77-78 Fender Musicmaster bass.

The original pickup was replaced by a see-through plastic one that I guess the guy's friend made.

What do you generally do when you get an older instrument? what kind of cleaning and maintenance should I do?

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

NonConformistBurger posted:

What do you generally do when you get an older instrument? what kind of cleaning and maintenance should I do?

The first thing I would do is get rid of that pickup. It's ugly as hell.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

Manky posted:

I was in Guitar Center today, seeing if they had any decent Labor Day sales (nope). While I was there I noticed a StingRay knock off. The only name on the headstock was "Austin" and I can't seem to find anything about it online. It actually played and sounded pretty nice, but I wasn't about to buy it without knowing more. Anyone heard of the bass/company before?

My friend has a Austin Pbass copy, it plays pretty good and has a nice tone to it. I have never seen a Austin bass in any music stores, I found their website but its under construction right now. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they only produce 200 to 600$ish instruments. If you really like the bass and sound go for it! The pbass my friend has is beat TO HELL. There is a big chunk of the body that's been gashed out on the edge parallel to the bridge, and it still sounds good.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

NonConformistBurger posted:

I just got a new instrument, and this is my first time having one that is more than a few years old. I just picked up a '77-78 Fender Musicmaster bass.

The original pickup was replaced by a see-through plastic one that I guess the guy's friend made.

On much older instruments (in the case of Fender, like pre-75 or so) you'd want to have it checked out by an expert if you'd be worried about ruining its collectability. Stuff in the S8 era (which can honestly be between 78-81; they didn't do the serial #s very consistently during those years), you can pretty much just do the maintenance by yourself or just take it to a regular tech at a music store.

You'll want to just check the electronics for clean solder-joints, make sure the pots don't crackle, etc. General maintenance stuff. Make sure the truss-rod functions well, check the fret-wear, get some new strings, the usual stuff.

And yeah, for the love of god get rid of that pickup. If the body is already routed beyond it's original pickup placement, I'd recommend dropping a Darkstar in there :)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Demon Seed posted:

My friend has a Austin Pbass copy, it plays pretty good and has a nice tone to it. I have never seen a Austin bass in any music stores, I found their website but its under construction right now. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they only produce 200 to 600$ish instruments. If you really like the bass and sound go for it! The pbass my friend has is beat TO HELL. There is a big chunk of the body that's been gashed out on the edge parallel to the bridge, and it still sounds good.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go ahead and blame you for the fact that I actually went back to GC today and bought the thing :). So far, I'm actually quite happy with it. We'll see how I feel as time wears on, of course.

Pictures!

It's not a StingRay, obviously, but it's close enough. I picked up a nice bass that's pretty close to one tenth the price of a StingRay while being more than one tenth as good. I've also got a thing for well-made knock-offs. I think I prefer how this has four-in-line on the headstock over the 3-1 thing that a real MM does, I always thought it looked kind of stupid.

E: The strings on here suck. Anybody have suggestions of what to put on here? I've sort of been looking for an excuse to buy Bootsy Collins' signature strings, just because.

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 7, 2010

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So my VT Bass arrived yesterday, just in time for jam last night. Wow. I can see why people refer to this pedal as the "Always on", it's just a box-'o-tone!

Anyway, now I've committed to actually running _a_ pedal, I figure I might as well start looking at getting a couple more. I'm just wondering, is there anyone else in here playing melodic/modern thrash? If so, are there any effects you've found useful here? Just so I know what to start looking at, of course I'll raid the music stores and test everything before I lay money down.

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009
Fresh video of the new Squier Jaguar Bass. I'ma have to get one once they pop up on ebay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxcWst6sCpM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I've had both of my pedals stop working within a week. First my fuzz, then my tuner. I don't even know if should repair them, I could get both for like 150€ and the repairing is 60€ per hour.

So loving annoying.