Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
What I don't get about this Killswitch thing is what's supposedly stopping people from making a copy of the CD or floppy or .exe or whatever the gently caress to just reinstall it after it deletes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Bloodcider posted:

What I don't get about this Killswitch thing is what's supposedly stopping people from making a copy of the CD or floppy or .exe or whatever the gently caress to just reinstall it after it deletes itself.

Soviet voodoo video game ghost mystery magic.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This video is way after the fact but it's a good encapsulation of what a lot of the old rumors were like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CH-Kx2sl9c
Dangit that would be cool if it was true. Is there a Minesweeper clone that lets you play on different board topologies? There has to be.

TO GOOGLE! *zoom*

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

LvK posted:

Soviet voodoo video game ghost mystery magic.

Let's say it is a external custom harddrive which has a vacuum inside. You install the game as driver for the device, it allows read/write only through game interface, and erases itself along the way. When player dies/finishes, it drops the read/write head to the disk, it has special hardware switch for that, effectively destroying it. If one tries to open the case, it does the same, as vacuum works as a "failsafe" (failsure?). Only way to access the data would be to use the driver, the game, but for that you need to know stuff about the system, or it has some weirdo I/O-system, or it stores stuff crypted, hardware number and license keys being only way to decrypt the disk. wrong hardware serialnumber, it wont start, or internal serial dongle etc. to deter even successful data exports from the system.

I'd say it's not completely impossible to design a device which could be read only once, but obviously this would be super expensive, and is a concept I just pulled out of my rear end. Besides, the story does say that it comes on disks, not custom soviet hijinks hardware.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Bloodcider posted:

Also, it states that some people started as Ghast then went back to Porto showing you can start over with the other character. So we have to believe that a) the game is impossible to complete without doing some weird illogical action b) the game only deletes itself when you complete it and c) EVERYONE who ever owned it, beat it. In reality, even with regular games an absolute ton of players never get to the end.

Plus, a $733,000 game would have been all over the news. Shouldn't have gotten greedy, $7,300 is more believable to have slipped under peoples radars, and more feasible for a game that had a small fanbase.

But hey, it's a good story, doesn't blow it's load on "ooooo, it was the devs dead brother woooooooooooo". No point deconstructing urban legends too far.

I wonder if anyone has done academic research on these kinds of urban legends/campfire stories involving videogames. Pokemon Ghost Black and Killswitch are the hook handed hitchhiker of the internet generation, it's fascinating to see our generation take relatable childhood experiences and create myths with resonance only to their peers.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Spudd posted:

There were also videos of people making it into an emerald dream like area (private server) and same as some of Outland that video was released a year and a half before BC came out and it looked the somewhat the same. It's hard to tell if they were hoaxes or not, I like to think they're not.

There was some Emerald Dream related content, including some unfinished zones, included in WoW. Blizzard put no effort at all into cleaning up their unused assets from the game. So, no, not a hoax.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The idea behind the ending was that the draw of playing as the woman is so strong, and playing as Ghast is so insanely hard, he cant help himself but play as the woman. The story mentions a handful of times that players felt strangely drawn to it, to the point where, despite everyone owning it finishing it, they all did it as the woman. Even after it was established to the community that the game deletes itself they all still went back to the other game, rather than play as Ghast.

Then it falls to the last guy, playing the last copy, which he paid nearly a million dollars to play and show to the world. This is his sole "destiny". I got the idea he was a pretty nutty guy who is doing it just for attention and in a weird misguided life goal. And he just can't do it.

Spergin about video game stories.

Aside: All the stories from that site (except for the top two) are really good reads and interesting. The last two are just very silly.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Der Kyhe posted:

I'd say it's not completely impossible to design a device which could be read only once, but obviously this would be super expensive, and is a concept I just pulled out of my rear end. Besides, the story does say that it comes on disks, not custom soviet hijinks hardware.
How about this: Write the game code so that it checks the seek/read speed of its source medium. If it's too fast (i.e. it's been copied to a HD), game won't run. Similarly, when the game starts it performs a simple check to make sure it has write access to the medium - if the disk has been made read-only, game won't run.

This leaves two main problems - the game can still be copied to another floppy, and a virtual floppy drive could be set up and set to emulate the read speeds of a real drive. For the first problem, you could probably manufacture a limited run of oversized floppies so that a regular 1.44Mb disk wouldn't fit the game. The second problem I don't know how to solve, but it wouldn't have been an issue when games were still being distributed on floppies so I'm going to ignore it :)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I wonder if this is based on/inspired by the opening of a real game. I had a PC game when I was little that was like a point-and-click first-person adventure game in a movie theater, and it really matches the description; from the starting in the lobby to the description of the usher, to even the really crappy soundbite and text box. Of course that's where the similarities stop since mine was playable, if ultimately way too hard for like a 6 year old. And obviously, you know, real and not haunted.

Fake edit: Or maybe it was the same game, and I discovered the other levels and now I'm going to be murdered 20+ years later by a spiraly-face hell-usher OH NOOES.

For content: Do you know how hard it is to be the first person in your highschool to discover you can fly the Dodo (a clipped-wing plane in GTA3 that is nearly uncontrollable)? People treat you the way they treat those wackos who think they see Jesus in their soap scum.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Aside: All the stories from that site (except for the top two) are really good reads and interesting. The last two are just very silly.

They seem to have a bad habit of overdoing it at the end, though- this is an interesting little story, but the last paragraph kind of takes it over the top.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Opposing Farce posted:

They seem to have a bad habit of overdoing it at the end, though- this is an interesting little story, but the last paragraph kind of takes it over the top.

That seems to be the problem with the site. End your stories a paragraph sooner! Let it be creepy, not "WHOOOOOOOO SCARY!"

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Opposing Farce posted:

No reason not to rewrite the end yourself if you ever spread it around. These kinds of passed around stories evolve over time; I've read two versions of Pokemon Ghost Black, one with an excessively ghostey ending, one more restrained (and more effective)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Wandering Knitter posted:

That seems to be the problem with the site. End your stories a paragraph sooner! Let it be creepy, not "WHOOOOOOOO SCARY!"

This is something a lot of horror seems to fall victim to. Hell, even H.P. Lovecraft himself had a bad habit of ending his stories with one last unnecessary twist ending all in italics...that you had already figured out 5 pages ago!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is something a lot of horror seems to fall victim to. Hell, even H.P. Lovecraft himself had a bad habit of ending his stories with one last unnecessary twist ending all in italics...that you had already figured out 5 pages ago!

I think my favorite one of that was "And then the house was STRUCK BY LIGHTENING wooooooo scary huh?"

e: If you stop reading the Haunted Arcade Game story at "And he wore the coin on a chain for the rest of his life" it goes from a stupid horror story to a slightly creepy touching story. :unsmith:

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
The problem with the Pokemon hoaxes (not the ones that involve stupid poo poo like kids killing themselves), is that in order to make something like Spooky Black, you would have to be a VERY skilled bootlegger. The other problem is, why the hell would you make ONE bootleg of a Pokemon game? I mean you go through all this effort to make a special version, and then give it to some pawn shop where it has a good chance of no one ever playing it.

Too many holes in the story, which is the problem with most of these.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The fact that there were so many that actually worked (like how editing a .txt file would add sound effects to Minesweeper, or how re-naming a certain folder numerous times would cause a credits roll to play, or how there were the hidden flight simulator/dungeon crawler in Microsoft Office, or the hidden music files you could play by typing filenames into Internet Explorer) meant that I fell for way, way too many of the bogus ones, including having to re-install Windows once or twice from deleting an important file.

Wait, seriously? I've heard of those other ones, but not these two.

Jackoff Pastorius
May 16, 2010
I recently found this "guide" that just lists all of the stupid rumors about Mario 64 and overanalyzes them. It's so stupid it was actualy rejected from GameFAQS 3 times.
https://www.sm64.com/misc/Mysteries%20Guide.txt

Jackoff Pastorius fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 4, 2010

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The idea behind the ending was that the draw of playing as the woman is so strong, and playing as Ghast is so insanely hard, he cant help himself but play as the woman. The story mentions a handful of times that players felt strangely drawn to it, to the point where, despite everyone owning it finishing it, they all did it as the woman. Even after it was established to the community that the game deletes itself they all still went back to the other game, rather than play as Ghast.

Then it falls to the last guy, playing the last copy, which he paid nearly a million dollars to play and show to the world. This is his sole "destiny". I got the idea he was a pretty nutty guy who is doing it just for attention and in a weird misguided life goal. And he just can't do it.

Spergin about video game stories.

Yeah this is exactly it. It's why the story mentions Ghast at first as impossibly hard, then talks about how the woman is the default choice only to come back to it at the end. The guy at the end paid almost a million dollars to have this moment where he does what no one has been able to do, except he can't do it, so he's hosed himself out of this amazing game. He either has to play as the woman or nothing, because the game is too hard as Ghast, but the expectations of an entire community of spergs are resting on his socially maladjusted shoulders and he has probably the last copy of something that can never be experienced again. He can't take the pressure.

It's not supposed to be any more complicated than that. There's no hauntings or disturbing revelations or anything, the story structures itself to give you exactly this ending - really all the weird poo poo about Porto is just a smokescreen to set up this poor sap trying to do the impossible.

The story probably would be better without it, though.

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.
One secret I had mentioned in a previous video game secrets thread was about the Pleasure Dome in Total Carnage

It is mentioned that if you finished the game and collect all the prizes in the Pleasure Dome something is suppose to happen. I read many rumors saying thingslike the women at the end would be nude or fighting a super secret boss. The ending screen mentions something about collecting all the prizes but I haven't seen anyone do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hcwsTD_MiA

Regarding the Bio Force Ape game. I thought it was real and a few months back 1uplive did a live stream of the game from beginning to end. I remember it having really impressive animations for a nes game and I could of sworn they had mentioned that had got a copy of the unreleased game. I might be wrong on this. It might also of been all a joke on the viewers.

I heard about Mega Man 9 secret a while back and followed it but sadly they couldn't find it. Seth, one of the people who worked on 9 and 10 mentioned that 10 also has a hidden secret as well but he isn't going to reveal anything.

EDIT: i found the live stream footage of Bio Force Ape and they explain some history about the hoax and such
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29031

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

SpaceBees posted:

The problem with the Pokemon hoaxes (not the ones that involve stupid poo poo like kids killing themselves), is that in order to make something like Spooky Black, you would have to be a VERY skilled bootlegger. The other problem is, why the hell would you make ONE bootleg of a Pokemon game? I mean you go through all this effort to make a special version, and then give it to some pawn shop where it has a good chance of no one ever playing it.

Too many holes in the story, which is the problem with most of these.
You're overthinking it. You could just say that someone made a romhack and distributed it online but it didn't get a whole lot of attention, and then somebody decided to make a physical bootleg cart out of it to sell, and the writer only happened across one such copy. Nothing in the previously linked Pokemon Black story says that it's one of a kind.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait, seriously? I've heard of those other ones, but not these two.

Here goes:

-The Excel 95 had The Hall of Tortured Souls, which was like Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYYatHmhqIE

-Excel 97 had the flight simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6nY0QkG9nQ

-Word 97 had pinball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaxgB1I_Tfg

-Access 97 had a magic 8-ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgbsoTA2nPk

Lacool
Jun 18, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT MY DRAGON FUR SUIT BORING YOUTUBE BULLSHIT AND THEN TELL ME TO GET OUT
This is my favorite thread on the forum right now, and it inspired me to revisit a hoax I had been looking into for awhile on Secret of Evermore. I've been working on an article for a couple of days, digging up as much as I could on the subject. Here's the kind of disturbing result, surprisingly appropriate for this thread:

http://rainwoodworks.blogspot.com/2010/09/secret-of-evermore-was-one-of-my.html

If anyone has any more info on this, please let me know. Maybe somebody with programming prowess can look into the rom? There must be some unused bits in there or something that can explain some of this.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Det_no posted:

That sounds exactly like a story someone would make up based on the championship mode code in the game.

It does, but I did manage to dig up the Game Genie code that lets you do Chun Li's knee-flip-kick. I can't test it out myself since I'm on a MacOS machine but it's "ED8E-0F09". Apparently, if you enter it, she'll do the move if you press any attack button while on the ground. Anyone capable of running decent emulators want to give it a try?

Again, this is the SNES version of Street Fighter II. And there was no "Champion Edition code". Just little things like this that showed they were probably planning to include it at some point during development. There may be an easier way to dump the ROM's data and find the other stuff I mentioned... I don't know much about that kind of thing though.

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

Lacool posted:

This is my favorite thread on the forum right now, and it inspired me to revisit a hoax I had been looking into for awhile on Secret of Evermore. I've been working on an article for a couple of days, digging up as much as I could on the subject. Here's the kind of disturbing result, surprisingly appropriate for this thread:

If anyone has any more info on this, please let me know. Maybe somebody with programming prowess can look into the rom? There must be some unused bits in there or something that can explain some of this.

Thats real interesting. I never played Secret of Evermore but now I feel like I got to.

EDIT: I found this page that show some images of the game in its beta stages
http://www.unseen64.net/2008/05/14/secret-of-evermore-beta/

Not sure if this provides any clues but they compared some beta images to the final version. It might be the old bad quality of the beta pics but the color and some sprites have this dark and depressing feel to them.

IXCE fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 4, 2010

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I'd help. Maybe we should start a new thread here first to create the legends.

I can help spread them on creepypasta.com if need be.

It might also be fun to make that Theater game with RPG Maker or that visual novel engine, unless one of you knows how to legit code such a game (I do not, obviously).

Actually, The Theater reminds me of... what's that horror manga where the swirls start appearing everywhere and replacing things and faces and etc etc?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I have to agree that the concept art for Secret of Evermore really was dark and gritty and kinda scary to my 10 year old mind. I had seen the boxart as a kid and I thought it was some kind of horror game.

Perhaps that is the true Secret of Evermore...

Pooptimus Prime posted:

I can help spread them on creepypasta.com if need be.

It might also be fun to make that Theater game with RPG Maker or that visual novel engine, unless one of you knows how to legit code such a game (I do not, obviously).

Actually, The Theater reminds me of... what's that horror manga where the swirls start appearing everywhere and replacing things and faces and etc etc?

Uzumaki by Junji Ito.
Great comic.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Lacool posted:

This is really interesting, good job.

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

I tried searching up the name Ed Kann or his story "The Noise Coming From Inside Children" and I get no results. How did you find out about this guy?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Byolante posted:

On Karazhan I have heard that the inverted castle was originally intended as a second raid that extended from normal kara in a hardmode style that they eventually went with in WotLK. It was intended as a homage to Symphony of the Night.

Few pages late on this but yeah this carries merit.
In TBC there was a 3rd dungeon difficultly called epic you can call via a command line.

You had: Normal, Heroic and the 3rd one was Epic.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

SomeKindofVerb posted:

Oh, and for content and less derailing about my Machiavellian scheme to freak out a new generation of gamers...

...when I was younger I had a game called Soleil, (I believe it was called The Crusader of Centy in America,) very few other people around seemed to have played it, but a friend of mine from school claimed to have finished it.

Now generally when you complete the game after having destroyed various demons and suchforth, you get a slightly poignant, "Maybe man himself is the monster!" spiel. Standard affair, really, but a friend from school told me, and was vehement, that there was an alternative ending where you can somehow lose to the final boss in a special, (arbitrary, quite false sounding in retrospect,) way, and the ending sequence was replaced by an otherworldy, demonic occupation of humanity where we were their tortured slaves. He mentioned bloodied corpses shackled up around the place and the like.

It freaked me the gently caress out, and yet I let that final boss kill me in a variety of different ways trying to replicate it.

That sounds like a "bad" ending to a Shin Megami Tensei game.

Endorph posted:

Funnily enough, sometimes in the Disgaea series winning against certain bosses leads to a bad ending. They're the unbeatable plot bosses, but you can still technically beat them if you grind your rear end off and abuse the system. An example is Laharl in Disgaea 2.

If you somehow level enough to beat Leon when you first meet him in Tales Of Destiny (supposed to be an unbeatable boss to progress the story) you get a premature ending about Rutee, Stahn, and Mary going on to be famous gald hunters rather than all the stuff with Hugo and the Swordians and the Aether Wars.

Also, you can swap the Swordians around. Giving Philia's Swordian Clemente to Stahn results in some amusing voice acting for Clemente's spells: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k87JZAJTMkw

21stCentury posted:

Uzumaki by Junji Ito.
Great comic.

Yes, that. Thanks!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lemon King posted:

Few pages late on this but yeah this carries merit.
In TBC there was a 3rd dungeon difficultly called epic you can call via a command line.

You had: Normal, Heroic and the 3rd one was Epic.
However the upside down version of Karazhan is from the book "The Last Guardian". Its where Khadgar and company go to slay Medivh.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!
e: oh who am I to spoil it

LITERALLY MAD IRL fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 4, 2010

Lacool
Jun 18, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT MY DRAGON FUR SUIT BORING YOUTUBE BULLSHIT AND THEN TELL ME TO GET OUT

IXCE posted:

I tried searching up the name Ed Kann or his story "The Noise Coming From Inside Children" and I get no results. How did you find out about this guy?

Tell me about it. He seems to have contributed to a few regional horror publications in the Seattle area. At least he did in the late 90s. After that he either stopped, or the publications withered away due to lack of popularity.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

e: oh who am I to spoil it

What? Don't do this! Spoil whatever it was you were spoiling.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Lacool posted:

What the gently caress is this? It's absolutely terrifying.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

What? Don't do this! Spoil whatever it was you were spoiling.

My guess is that Lacool is having us on.

Still though I Want To Believe cause I love the idea

edit: well now I feel like a dick but any damage is done

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 4, 2010

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Jetsetlemming posted:

What the gently caress is this? It's absolutely terrifying.

It's the very first big boss and he/she is fun as gently caress (as well as scary) to fight. I remember when I was 8 and playing it and was freaked out during the entire thing.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Lacool posted:

Tell me about it. He seems to have contributed to a few regional horror publications in the Seattle area. At least he did in the late 90s. After that he either stopped, or the publications withered away due to lack of popularity.

This got me interested (I've never even played the game!) but some internet detectivery has turned up some self published pen and paper rpg called "rocketship empires" written by an Edward M Kann, but the actual site for that is down. Searching that linked me to this youtube page, owned by an Ed Kann. I don't even know if that's the same guy who wrote that rpg, or if that's the same mystical Ed Kann from your post, but, I thought you might want to check it out in case it's a possible lead?

drat these threads for sucking me in like this.

RentACop posted:

My guess is that Lacool is having us on.

Still though I Want To Believe cause I love the idea

If that's the case Lacool you've made me feel like the gooniest creeper.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
SoE is actually a great game for such a rumor, true or not, because there's all kinds of weird poo poo in the game and the code. Like those spells almost everyone misses because there's like a 1/50 chance or whatever of the NPC who gives it to you showing up each time you zone in, all the weird key items that do nothing or say they do something but don't seem to do anything (many of which come from the bazaar in world 2), and several glitches including one that gives you infinite bazooka ammo that's so easy to do I thought it was an intentional feature until I talked to somebody else about the game later.

It's a strange fuckin game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dalkalopagus posted:

I recently found this "guide" that just lists all of the stupid rumors about Mario 64 and overanalyzes them. It's so stupid it was actualy rejected from GameFAQS 3 times.
https://www.sm64.com/misc/Mysteries%20Guide.txt

There's not enough love for this. This guide is so loving terrible it's hilarious. I kinda feel bad for the author, because you can tell from his writing that he's so proud of it, but it's just too bad to even kinda compliment him on. It has a whole section on how "Dorrie must've been able to eat you at one point, because why else would they call her a 'beast'?! :downs:".

EDIT: My favorite so far

quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xvi. - The Pariah of Paintings [SRCH18]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second floor of the castle is home to a considerable number of enigmas: the
hidden coins in Snowman's Land and Tiny-Huge Island, the mirror room (discussed
in detail in section xxi), and this mystery. There is a painting affixed to the
wall next to the staircase that leads up to the 50-Star door. The unique aspect
of this painting is that it is unlike all other paintings in the game. It seems
to be a rendering of a nighttime sky mottled with stars. Rumor has it that this
painting was originally the entrance to a level named Milky Way or something to
that effect. Some time ago, I decided to transform the stars in the painting to
Morse code, using the small stars as dots and the larger stars as dashes. After
some deliberation, I noticed that the Morse code I obtained could be translated
as "in an elm." This is somewhat interesting considering that Tick Tock Clock's
entrance is in a tree, possibly an elm tree. Whether or not this is just a mere
coincidence, a circumstance of the human brain finding patterns where there are
none, or a sign that the pariah of paintings holds a secret, is unanswerable.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 4, 2010