Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

LordSloth posted:

I did hear about the fogu thing from here and looked it up. Site doesn't work for me though. Edit: at least for grand bazaar

^^ The Grand Bazaar portion of the site is up last I checked, it's just partially incomplete.

I just had to announce to everyone that tonight I finally found a used copy of HM:Cute at a Gamestop with the original case. Here's hoping to find less glitches than its predecessor!

Chu Chu fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Well, I just had to announce tonight this friendly grand bazaar service announcement:

Don't forget to take a dump! I forgot to time how long I was in there, but it sure did restore me! Seriously, they implemented a toilet. Thank GOD it isn't a minigame.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

LordSloth posted:

Thanks, Revol and Higgs Boson.

You guys probably know all about this, but I didn't see it in the OP, or hear about it recently...
http://harvestmoonforever.blogspot.com/
This guy has several guides up.
http://grandbazaarfreyashawk.blogspot.com/

I did hear about the fogu thing from here and looked it up. Site doesn't work for me though. Edit: at least for grand bazaar

Freyashawk is great, she's been writing guides for years. I used to use her Friends of Mineral Town guides, with all the recipes and heart event locations printed out and sitting next to me for reference. When I saw there was a Freya in GB, I was wondering if it was a nod to her by the translators or something. She replied to someone else wondering the same thing:
"Natsume promised to name a Character after me some time ago. Whether Freya is that character or not, I cannot say for certain but they never told me she wasn't!"

It's kinda sad, actually. She's hinted a few times at a "physical condition" that leaves her in horrible pain all the time. Playing Harvest Moon is how she distracts herself from it, which is why she's put so much time into writing up guides.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

Corridor posted:

So far the only messed up mechanic I'm aware of in this game is having to hurl your chickens/cats/dogs 5 feet or so each time you pick them up.
You also get a stamina boost from jumping and bouncing on an animal five times in a row. I guess the characters don't weigh all that much since they're like six years old, but still.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, the farmer really shouldn't become a parent. Either that, or the spouse NEVER should let the main character hold the baby. Never.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

LordSloth posted:

Yeah, the farmer really shouldn't become a parent. Either that, or the spouse NEVER should let the main character hold the baby. Never.

This actually happens, I believe the baby is just kept in the bed until toddlerhood. I can only assume this really is because Natsume figured hurling your infant child across a room might seem a bit wrong.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Glad they got rid of that Wonderful business.
What? Didn't the guy say that the green thing next to where you stick stuff in windmills is for wonderfuls? I'm a little disappointed at the lack of mining; I kind of like it for some reason.

Corridor posted:

This actually happens, I believe the baby is just kept in the bed until toddlerhood. I can only assume this really is because Natsume figured hurling your infant child across a room might seem a bit wrong.
Given the way everything else responds to being chucked face-first into a wall, it may be one of the only ways to make your kid like you.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm at the 21st of Summer in my second year, and I just got the basement greenhouse. Here's the deets:

• Same size plot as the others outside
  • You can only grow from one season at a time
  • You can choose which season by changing out the 'sun' in the sun machine
  • You have to buy the Summer and Fall suns from the bazaar
  • You CANNOT use fertilizer

So I'm in the Summer, just spent 100,000G on this basement, and I've got a Spring sun with no ability to buy Spring seeds right now. I won't be able to use this until atleast the next bazaar, as long as the Summer sun isn't too expensive.

What is the benefit from expanding your bazaar table size? It seems it would make sense if you have a lot of different items with large quanities. Right now I just have a shitload of tomatoes (well, tomato salads). After that, the largest item stack I might have are my milks. All four of my cows are churning out five stars now, so I'll have 28 5-star milks on bazaar days now.

Last week I did have, like, 30 tomato salads left over, while I started with 130.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
edit: wrong thread. :blush:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

I'm at the 21st of Summer in my second year, and I just got the basement greenhouse. Here's the deets:

• Same size plot as the others outside
  • You can only grow from one season at a time
  • You can choose which season by changing out the 'sun' in the sun machine
  • You have to buy the Summer and Fall suns from the bazaar
  • You CANNOT use fertilizer

So I'm in the Summer, just spent 100,000G on this basement, and I've got a Spring sun with no ability to buy Spring seeds right now. I won't be able to use this until atleast the next bazaar, as long as the Summer sun isn't too expensive.

What is the benefit from expanding your bazaar table size? It seems it would make sense if you have a lot of different items with large quanities. Right now I just have a shitload of tomatoes (well, tomato salads). After that, the largest item stack I might have are my milks. All four of my cows are churning out five stars now, so I'll have 28 5-star milks on bazaar days now.

Last week I did have, like, 30 tomato salads left over, while I started with 130.

You're better off having a more diverse selection, it seems. Not every type of buyer likes the same stuff, so having 90% of your stock be a single product just vastly limits the amount of buyers and you'll end up with unsold goods. I'd start making other stuff with those tomatoes as well. I'd say mixed salads, but I think those share the same customers with tomato salads so it wouldn't do much good.

A bigger goods table just lets you have a bigger range of goods and attracts more people at once, making it easier to get reputation, and plus it's just nicer to finish sooner.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Yeah, especially if you're like me and end up with a variety of items/qualities. I guess some of you might have planned ahead to make sure all your cows/chickens/items are the same so that they stack, but I generally end up with several. Plus, I run around and capture any insects/fish that sell for over 200g at the bazaar, so I end up with a bunch of small stacks of various things. I also sometimes buy food to get the recipe and just resell them at the end of the week. I also keep all my .5 and 1 star stones and .5 star wood to sell just because I know they'll end up in one stack. It's probably not efficient, but I like having as much money as I can reasonably get.

I doubt I'll upgrade my stall beyond the 2nd level for a long time, though. It's working well even with my myriad of items and I always get at least an hour to run around and buy from other shops, even when I have bad days.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just had the big storm, it's really cool. I won't spoil anything, but make sure you do go outside, because you can.

So I'm at the end of my second summer, and I just unlocked the third bazaar upgrade. It really helped me in selling off all my stuff. Even with, like 160 tomato items and 40 onion items, I sold everything off around 6pm. Before, I had less items and had 30 tomato salads left before I closed.

I thought the guy said you have to buy additional suns for your greenhouse at the bazaar, but I didn't see any for sale this time. I'm assuming it'll be the mayor. He needs to hurry up and get on that poo poo. I bought 9 of all the regrow-able summer crops. I also finally got all the cookware; I didn't have any of it before.

edit: Do not buy the final crop plot upgrade until you get the last bazaar upgrade. That's when the guy who sells the suns opens his shop. gently caress.

edit2: Unless you're able to get your hands on spring seeds at the time.

Revol fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 4, 2010

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
You mean it's a missable event?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Ka0 posted:

You mean it's a missable event?

What, the storm? And going outside? It no event, but it can be mistaken for a hurricane, which usually doesn't let you outside. I'm just saying, don't assume you can't go outside.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Revol posted:

What, the storm? And going outside? It no event, but it can be mistaken for a hurricane, which usually doesn't let you outside. I'm just saying, don't assume you can't go outside.

And uh.. don't forget to look at the weather icon and throw one of your chickens outside. Not that I did such a thing.

Actually you should do such a thing. Just remember to restart afterward.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
From Fogu, comprehensive item price spreadsheet. The numbers might not be exact beyond the .5 rating, but it gives you a very close idea it sounds like.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Corridor posted:

This is awesome. Horrible but awesome.
So far the only messed up mechanic I'm aware of in this game is having to hurl your chickens/cats/dogs 5 feet or so each time you pick them up.
some other weird/awful stuff:

in A Wonderful Life, your wife can leave you. she decides to do this right in front of your confused kid, traumatizing him forever. pretty much all the divorce scenes in the series are great.

in Magical Melody, you can milk your wife.

if you repeatedly show Karen your dog in HM64, she falls in love with you. speaking of courting Karen, becoming an alcoholic and winning the New Years drinking festival is an excellent way to win her favor. I always drank a few hundred bottles of wine before the contest to build tolerance.

I can't remember which game, but one has a harvest festival where you can cook your dog in the communal stew. everyone likes it. I think it's FOMT where you can feed your dog anything, too, which leads to fun stuff like giving it chocolate. personally I raised mine on mayonnaise.

and then there's the ridiculous unlocked content. in FOMT if you stay married for 50 years you get a mountain cabin. in one of the early games for the original GB, there's no romance, but there's an odd event with the librarian where you bury a time capsule in like year 4 and agree to dig it up ten years later. playing until then gets you a small scripted scene.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
You know what this game needs? The ability to write on your map. For one, it'd be a nice way to note what trees you've got in what plots. More importantly, you could use it to remember notes. I've missed two events (Starry Night and Chicken Festival) because I forgot. Just now, I was on a Sunday and was planning to do Freya's yellow heart event, which is like after 10PM, but I forgot that too.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I was having a nasty bout of insomnia last night and played Grand Bazaar until I finally drifted off.

All I remember is blacking out, opening my eyes, and seeing that it was 3-4 days later at 4am in-game.

I'm kinda scared to see what's happened to my farm. :ohdear:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Revol posted:

You know what this game needs? The ability to write on your map. For one, it'd be a nice way to note what trees you've got in what plots. More importantly, you could use it to remember notes. I've missed two events (Starry Night and Chicken Festival) because I forgot. Just now, I was on a Sunday and was planning to do Freya's yellow heart event, which is like after 10PM, but I forgot that too.

There's a chalkboard you can write on with the stylus in Grand Bazaar that could probably accomplish the same thing.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Che Delilas posted:

There's a chalkboard you can write on with the stylus in Grand Bazaar that could probably accomplish the same thing.

Oooohhh yeah. Maybe that thing could be better used than displaying a poorly-drawn dong.

Wandering Knitter posted:

So I was having a nasty bout of insomnia last night and played Grand Bazaar until I finally drifted off.

All I remember is blacking out, opening my eyes, and seeing that it was 3-4 days later at 4am in-game.

I'm kinda scared to see what's happened to my farm. :ohdear:

You never went to bed, so maybe it never saved?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Revol posted:

I honestly don't know. Either I just sat there and my character kept waking up/passing out and I missed a bazaar/my crops are dead, or my half-asleep self totally messed everything up.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Revol posted:

If you stay awake past 5am, you will pass out and the next day will begin, as I understand it. So, it's entirely possible to lose a number of days like that. fortunately, the game doesn't save if you pass out.

I just got out of my first winter, and the thing that kept me going, even more than the grass seed exploit legitimate mechanic was selling sushi. If you fish up sculpin (found most often above or below the frozen waterfall) you can turn them into sashimi. cook that with rice and presto! Sushi, which sells for 11-1500g at the bazaar.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Zenzirouj posted:

What? Didn't the guy say that the green thing next to where you stick stuff in windmills is for wonderfuls? I'm a little disappointed at the lack of mining; I kind of like it for some reason.

Yeah, but they're not used to upgrade your tools anymore. I just found trying to get the right wonderfuls and working out which ones to put on the tools really annoying. I'm disappointed at no more mining too! I liked visiting the mute girl at the bottom of the mine in HMDS.

So I'm up to winter now, and there're no winter crops? That sucks.

Star Guarded posted:

I can't remember which game, but one has a harvest festival where you can cook your dog in the communal stew. everyone likes it.

This is the best.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Heads up about fertilizer: apparently they don't help you on regrowth crops after they produce their first wave of crops.

There are upgraded versions of cows and chickens that become available to you in year three, so don't get the max you're allowed until then.

Edit: Is there a certain gift you give on somebody's birthday?

Revol fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 6, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My game hosed up again. :ohdear:

I started my first winter! Okay, out the door to explore the new season!

My game froze when I went down the stairs on my farm.

Okay, reset and jump down. Still froze. Sleep a few days and try on a non-snowing day. Still froze. My sister is at the same point and I tried her save. Perfectly fine.

I think this game hates me. :smith:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Revol posted:

There are upgraded versions of cows and chickens that become available to you in year three, so don't get the max you're allowed until then.

I was wondering about this. My cow has been at full hearts for a little while now, so I didn't know if it was going to level up and start producing jersey milk or what. So your only option to get the best milk/eggs is to wait until the new animal types become available and start over with making them like you? And what about the third level of items? Do they show up in year 5 or something?

And is there really no way of getting rid of animals besides keeping them outside until they get sick and die? That's kind of hosed up.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Zenzirouj posted:

I was wondering about this. My cow has been at full hearts for a little while now, so I didn't know if it was going to level up and start producing jersey milk or what. So your only option to get the best milk/eggs is to wait until the new animal types become available and start over with making them like you? And what about the third level of items? Do they show up in year 5 or something?

My prize cow has made the best third-tier milk at least twice. It might be a random thing.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I believe animals can also die of old age.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

My prize cow has made the best third-tier milk at least twice. It might be a random thing.

Maybe Jersey Cows can make gold milk or whatever it's called more often than normal cows?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

There's two harvest moon grand bazaar questions I have and one thing I never noticed. The documentation leaves a little to be desired.

1). You can look at the board in the barn to look at your animals, and there are three icons that are either blue or grey. Pacman, Hand, and Something. What exactly are these three icons?
2). How the hell do you 'talk' to your chickens? Since pacman is gray, i presume that's not it.
3). In the windmill, and the kitchen probably, you can press X to swap the top and bottom screens. This is excellent for finding out what some of the ingredients actually are, instead of merely guessing.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Was playing Grand Bazaar, my first HM in a long while. Make 15k at the bazaar, buy a shitload of cabbage seeds, water then for a week, seasons changes, lose all my crops

DS is turned off. My soul is broken

I really need to start a new game

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

LordSloth posted:

1). You can look at the board in the barn to look at your animals, and there are three icons that are either blue or grey. Pacman, Hand, and Something. What exactly are these three icons?
2). How the hell do you 'talk' to your chickens? Since pacman is gray, i presume that's not it.

1. talk, brush, and milk/shear? I'm guessing. The last two probably stay greyed out on chickens since you can't brush/milk them, although one might fill out for taking them outside? (I don't, so can't help with that. Also I'm probably wrong)

Meliv posted:

Was playing Grand Bazaar, my first HM in a long while. Make 15k at the bazaar, buy a shitload of cabbage seeds, water then for a week, seasons changes, lose all my crops

DS is turned off. My soul is broken

I really need to start a new game

did you take note of their growing times? And water them every day? Sometimes it's annoying because you don't have enough time to grow things and have to leave the fields empty, but it's better than wasting money on crops that don't have time to mature!

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 6, 2010

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

The second icon, the hand, goes blue when I throw around my chicken, so I presume its the touchy-feely icon. The third icon stays blue, it might be 'milk' and thus the production icon. Once I have more chickens, i could try abusing one of them and see when it turns off exactly when they stop producing. Still no clue on the first one unless it is talk.

Also, the very first spring, you have zero reason to buy potato seeds - turnips grow quicker and the salad sells for nearly as much as a raw potato.

VVV: Thanks! Stethoscope, huh.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 6, 2010

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
First one is talk, second is picking up/brushing/whatever, third is production. It lights up for chickens when they lay eggs, cows when you milk them, etc. And you talk to your chickens (and dogs (and cats, I'm assuming)) by using the stethoscope (which you get at the bazaar from Felix) on them.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Thanks Lemur Crisis - no longer will I make an idiot of myself blowing into the little DS mike. I'm glad it's as simple as a purchased tool, instead of one of the worst ds gimmicks.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

did you take note of their growing times? And water them every day? Sometimes it's annoying because you don't have enough time to grow things and have to leave the fields empty, but it's better than wasting money on crops that don't have time to mature!

They're spring crops and I planted them at the end of Spring. I figured I wouldn't be able to plant them in Summer but the ones that were still growing when Summer came would just carry on growing

Nu-uh. All died. That was 15k of cabbages down the drain :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

LordSloth posted:

Thanks Lemur Crisis - no longer will I make an idiot of myself blowing into the little DS mike. I'm glad it's as simple as a purchased tool, instead of one of the worst ds gimmicks.

If you stand in front of a windmill and blow in the mic it speeds up the windmill production so there's always that.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

nippon nifties posted:

If you stand in front of a windmill and blow in the mic it speeds up the windmill production so there's always that.

Nintendo's bizarre insistence on having games include this kind of thing has always baffled me. Do they think kids like games way more if they get to blow on their DS and have stuff happen or are they just trying to justify having a mic there or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

LordSloth posted:

The game's original title was Wind Bazaar.

• Locked thread