Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

A Futbol Injustice posted:

Good suggestion but he's seen it.

gently caress, this is so hard.

I haven't seen it, but Ti West's Trigger Man was also well received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

morestuff posted:

House of the Devil?

That movie's flaws are overwhelmingly obvious.

What about REC? Maybe that's not little known anymore. Sauna?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

OK, here's an odd request. My buddy and I have been engaged in a Persona-lite battle of wills and I need to gain the upper hand. He loves horror, but he's also a film snob, and each recommendation I come up with ends up having one deep, unyielding flaw. Help me remember great, little-seen horror films from the past few years. I showed him All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (although its flaws are glaring to a budding filmmaker such as himself) and I will be showing him Martyrs and Antichrist, but beyond that, I'm stumped. Help, CineD!

P.S. He's already seen Inside, High Tension, Audition, etc. In fact, anything Asian is out because he definitely has seen more Asian horror than I have.

How about Gwai muk (Home Sweet Home, according to imdb) it's a kind of horror drama, not very known

I'm guessing he already knows about The Children too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Has he seen Calvaire?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

OK, here's an odd request. My buddy and I have been engaged in a Persona-lite battle of wills and I need to gain the upper hand. He loves horror, but he's also a film snob, and each recommendation I come up with ends up having one deep, unyielding flaw. Help me remember great, little-seen horror films from the past few years. I showed him All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (although its flaws are glaring to a budding filmmaker such as himself) and I will be showing him Martyrs and Antichrist, but beyond that, I'm stumped. Help, CineD!

P.S. He's already seen Inside, High Tension, Audition, etc. In fact, anything Asian is out because he definitely has seen more Asian horror than I have.

I Sell the Dead flew under most people's radar and I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's flawed sure, but the filmmakers' hearts were in the right place and that counts for a lot.

In my opinion, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon was the best thing to happen to the slasher genre in years. It didn't exactly win everyone over but every true horror fan I've met has loved it.

Fido was fun and interesting and definitely not a waste of time. I wasn't as enthralled with it as some were, but it's a good film on it's own and puts a neat new twist on the rotting carcass that is the Zombie genre.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's not exactly "little-seen," but if he doesn't like The Descent, he's not worth the trouble. It seems like a horror movie film snobs should love.

Edit: May and The Signal are a couple great ones I always recommend too, although they're not as flawless as The Descent.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 6, 2010

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
After a Miracles marathon I am in the mood for some religious horror or trhiller movie in the same vein of the show; basically something in the vein The Exorcist or Mothman Prophecies.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 6, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Honest Thief posted:

After a Miracles marathon I am in the mood for some religious horror or trhiller movie in the same vein of the show; basically something in the vein The Exorcist or Mothman Prophecies.

I've never seen Miracles, but Jacob's Ladder is pretty comparable to Mothman Prophecies and has small but significant religious elements. It's also the best half a horror movie attached to something even stranger and more wonderful ever made. :v:

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

csidle posted:

I watched Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind recently, the former having become one of my all-time favourite movies. Are there any movies of the same vein you'd recommend?

Gondry's Science of Sleep is quite similar to Eternal Sunshine. It's not half as good in my opinion though it is full of charming cinematography.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I'm looking for films that focus on cults and secret societies. Mainly featuring a protagonist getting way too deep and wanting out at any cost. Films like The Game, The Da Vinci Code and Fight Club for example. Any other films like that?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I'm looking for films that focus on cults and secret societies. Mainly featuring a protagonist getting way too deep and wanting out at any cost. Films like The Game, The Da Vinci Code and Fight Club for example. Any other films like that?

The Wicker Man
The Tenant
Rosemary's Baby

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
I've been on a huge British crime film kick recently. So far, I've seen:

Get Carter
The Italian Job (original)
The Long Good Friday
Sexy Beast
Croupier
Layer Cake
Gangster No. 1
All the Guy Richie films

What are some other good ones? I liked The Long Good Friday and Sexy Beast best.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Society for an.. interesting take on the concept.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Oz Fox posted:

Get Carter
The Long Good Friday
Sexy Beast
Croupier
Layer Cake
Gangster No. 1
All the Guy Richie films

What are some other good ones? I liked The Long Good Friday and Sexy Beast best.

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead was Mike Hodges' followup to Croupier. I liked it quite a bit.

I was a big fan of Mona Lisa as well.

Although it's not technically British, The Limey draws on a lot of those British crime thrillers and makes something really amazing out of them.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Eyes Wide Shut

Indecline
Sep 5, 2003

eat my butt into smithereens

Oz Fox posted:

Get Carter
The Long Good Friday
Sexy Beast
Croupier
Layer Cake
Gangster No. 1
All the Guy Richie films

Love, Honour and Obey fits the description. MUG.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

morestuff posted:

I haven't seen it, but Ti West's Trigger Man was also well received.

Saw it after loving House of the Devil. It's very minimalist. Not much in the way of music or even dialog for that matter. Simple plot. Slightly artsy at points with long sustained shots. I can see it being a very divisive movie overall though since it does leave you feeling a bit bored by the whole thing and the plot is so simple.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

For a comedic take, Hot Fuzz. You should save it until after The Wicker Man, though, for maximum comedic effect.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Carlito's Way kinda fits. You might dig that.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Anyone got some recommendations for Prohibition-era films? I've always found the era fascinating and loved The Untouchables and Public Enemies.

Plus I want some supplemental viewing for Boardwalk Empire, once that starts.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

Doctor Claw posted:

I'm looking for more films in a genre I can only think to call "very depressing things happen to very normal people." Deep character dramas with a lot of cynicism. Movies in the vein of:
-Requiem for a Dream
-Ghost World
-Happiness
-American Beauty
-Being John Malkovich

'A Serious Man' is probably the most depressing movie I've ever sat through. Also from the Coen brothers: 'No Country for Old Men' is also good, although a bit more of an action movie. Less very depressing things happening to very normal people, and more 'very depressing things happening to very normal people, cops, and criminals'.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Having liked Alien Trespass a lot, what are the best examples of old cheesy scifi horror flicks?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never seen Miracles, but Jacob's Ladder is pretty comparable to Mothman Prophecies and has small but significant religious elements. It's also the best half a horror movie attached to something even stranger and more wonderful ever made. :v:

Yeah its a cool flick but I seen it already, thanks either way.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Adrianics posted:

Anyone got some recommendations for Prohibition-era films? I've always found the era fascinating and loved The Untouchables and Public Enemies.

Plus I want some supplemental viewing for Boardwalk Empire, once that starts.

Miller's Crossing

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
What are some of the "must-see" asian movies of recent years (2007 and up)? Any genres.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Secx posted:

What are some of the "must-see" asian movies of recent years (2007 and up)? Any genres.

Visage
The Sun Also Rises
Things We Do When We Fall in Love

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I just signed up for Netflix today. After rating some movies it suggested Drunken Master starring a young Jackie Chan. I really liked it and want to watch some similar old school kung fu films. Anything like Drunken Master or the much more recent Kung Fu Hustle is the type of film I'm looking for.

Also, Netflix has World of Drunken Master (a sequel starring the old man instead of Jackie I think), Drunken Master 3 (no Jackie or old man), and Legend of Drunken Master (a more recent sequel to the first movie made in the 90s starring Jackie himself in the same role). Are any of them worth watching?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Xinlum posted:

I just signed up for Netflix today. After rating some movies it suggested Drunken Master starring a young Jackie Chan. I really liked it and want to watch some similar old school kung fu films. Anything like Drunken Master or the much more recent Kung Fu Hustle is the type of film I'm looking for.

Also, Netflix has World of Drunken Master (a sequel starring the old man instead of Jackie I think), Drunken Master 3 (no Jackie or old man), and Legend of Drunken Master (a more recent sequel to the first movie made in the 90s starring Jackie himself in the same role). Are any of them worth watching?

Legend of Drunken Master (originally known as Drunken Master 2) is one of the most outstanding and entertaining martial arts films I've ever seen. It really captures Jackie Chan at his best, I think.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Secx posted:

2046 (might miss your cut-off date by a year or so)

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

Secx posted:

Love Exposure. I'm still trying to find a movie that can match the indescribable experience that was.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Oz Fox posted:

Get Carter
The Long Good Friday
Sexy Beast
Croupier
Layer Cake
Gangster No. 1
All the Guy Richie films

The Bank Job is absolutely essential.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Are there any decent big screen translations of Greek works? What I specifically had in mind was the Oedipus cycle from Sophocles, but really anything? I saw a 1967 movie on wikipedia but I dunno. Really though, I'm open-minded here.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
The one you saw was probably Pasolini's Oedipus Rex. It's worth checking out.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Butthole Prince posted:

The one you saw was probably Pasolini's Oedipus Rex. It's worth checking out.

Pasolini's Medea is also worth checking out. I prefer it to his Oedipus Rex (I think), but it is a less strict translation if you really just want the original greek story (it is also a more difficult film on its own right - for instance, it stars Maria Callas, but she doesn't sing in it).

I'd recommend both to anyone who likes the plays and is more than just a casual film fan, as it can be hard to recommend Pasolini blind. If you are unsure, start with Oedipus Rex.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Synnr posted:

Are there any decent big screen translations of Greek works? What I specifically had in mind was the Oedipus cycle from Sophocles, but really anything? I saw a 1967 movie on wikipedia but I dunno. Really though, I'm open-minded here.

Black Orpheus is great. It's not a strict retelling; it does its own thing, and very creatively.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

codyclarke posted:

Black Orpheus is great. It's not a strict retelling; it does its own thing, and very creatively.

Seconding this, it's a remarkable film. Also if I'm not mistaken most of it was filmed on location in Rio, during Carnivale, which is a nice added touch.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks guys, I'll see what I can do to get a hold of them!

Edit: Black Orpheus and Oedipus Rex are on Netflix Instant but Medea doesn't even have a disk. Uuugh

Synnr fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 15, 2010

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I really digg the setting/atmosphere in movies like Ballast, All the real girls and Winter Passing i.e. it's fall/early winter, cold, set in some small american town. This might be a strange request but if someone knows a few more movies with such a setting I would appreciate it. Would be even better if they do not suck :v:

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Popelmon posted:

I really digg the setting/atmosphere in movies like Ballast, All the real girls and Winter Passing i.e. it's fall/early winter, cold, set in some small american town. This might be a strange request but if someone knows a few more movies with such a setting I would appreciate it. Would be even better if they do not suck :v:

If you haven't seen it already, watch Snow Angels. Same director as All The Real Girls. Also, Buffalo '66 is a good choice.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh yes, saw Snow Angels already and loved it. Will check out Buffalo 66, sounds really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Popelmon posted:

In a strange way, both McCabe and Mrs. Miller, and Days of Heaven, might fit your bill.

• Locked thread