Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Aratoeldar posted:

That would be 12 ABY.

:doh: It's been so long I forgot the game tells you at the beginning when it takes place. Thanks, out of more curiosity are there any other important EU events around this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Why is ABY the galatic standard for time? Sure it's a big win but it's not the winning factor against the Empire.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kazy posted:

Why is ABY the galatic standard for time? Sure it's a big win but it's not the winning factor against the Empire.

Probably for no reason other than that it's an easy movie-centric time reference. Also because EU writers are so hung up on the movies that they have trouble coming up with anything original.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, I never knew it was an in-universe thing. I always assumed that it was just a reference point for the fans. As far as that's concerned though, using the end of Return of the Jedi makes a lot more sense.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man, I never knew it was an in-universe thing. I always assumed that it was just a reference point for the fans.

A bunch of things started as out-of-universe, but found their way in. Mostly names. "TIE fighter" came from the nickname the ships got while making the first movie, on account of their bow-tie shape. When the A-Wing and the B-Wing were just a couple of new ships the effects guys came up with for RotJ, they got tagged A and B just to tell them apart. It stuck. And of course "Mon Calamari" was a joke based on someone's seafood lunch.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Such a rich universe :allears:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I actually think it was KJA, in the first Essential Chronology (which I believe was his last SW work ever), who made BBY/ABY go from being just an out-of-universe term to an in-universe term.

Although to be honest while it's dumb from an in-universe perspective, it's something I can go with, it's easier to have a good OOU basis to go from than to constantly try to calculate "when was Galactic Year Zero in relation to book X and how far was that after the movies again?"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The Thrawns Revenge mod has released the first part (the Imperial Civil War bit if you want to know) if you have EAW with FC still installed or looking for an excuse to dust it off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
People are still modding EAW?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Crowetron posted:

I actually have an idea for a story about an Alderaan born Stormtrooper stuggling with the loss of his home and his disillusionment in the Empire he devoted his life to. The only reason I haven't written any of it actually down is because then I'd be writing fanfic, and that is not a line I'm willing to cross.
*Looks out Death Star window while brushing teeth.

Hey Alderaan! Maybe we'll stop for a couple days of leave, I can't wait to see Mo.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Casimir Radon posted:

Hey Alderaan! Maybe we'll stop for a couple days of leave, I can't wait to see Mo.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

If you're living on a giant station called a 'Death Star' you really have no excuse.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

uPen posted:

If you're living on a giant station called a 'Death Star' you really have no excuse.

I really try my best to imagine shopping malls and food courts on that thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

SeanBeansShako posted:

I really try my best to imagine shopping malls and food courts on that thing.

It's where all the moffs go for their after dinner cinnabon.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I happen to have two of these, still boxed and unopened.

Wonder how much they're worth?

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

I happen to have two of these, still boxed and unopened.

Wonder how much they're worth?

Looks like around $20 on ebay. Most of the PT stuff doesn't go for much.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Verbatim. Except with some smooth Jizz playing in the background.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.
The Alderaan factor is actually one of the best issues of the Marvel series. Which isn't saying much. It's actually written by the the guy who later wrote Crimson Empire (Randy Stradley, who is pretty much head of Dark Horse's Star Wars projects).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/URoRRuR%27R%27R

I have no words.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have no words.

drat, I thought for sure it was Starkiller under that mask.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Crowetron posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Verbatim. Except with some smooth Jizz playing in the background.

I've been making the stuff for years but had no idea you could play it

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
The two guys that gently caress with Luke in the Catina? Yup they are here too.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ponda_Baba

At least they had nothing to do with the death star plans......yet.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
I have a Geeky Star Wars question about comic books. My uncle found an old star wars comic from the 70s and he was curious how much it was worth. Of course, both he and my dad can't get their act together enough to tell me which one it is or what it looks like. Are any of the old comic books, lets say the #1 first edition, possibly worth very much at all?

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have no words.

Of all the things to get irritated with about Star Wars this is a pretty minor one.

I read something interesting in the mandalorian entry on wookipedia.

quote:

When writing his X-wing novels in 1996, author Michael A. Stackpole was interested in involving the Mandalorians in the series. The idea was vetoed by Lucasfilm, however

Imagine how different mandos would be if he had done all their backstory instead of that hack Traviss.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Mister_Eel posted:

Imagine how different mandos would be if he had done all their backstory instead of that hack Traviss.

Do you seriously think that she wouldn't have just gone and taken and twisted poo poo around to suit herself anyway?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have no words.

His Brother is called TimURoRRuR.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Mister_Eel posted:

I thought Bioware and Obsidian did the Mando backstory in the KotOR games, and did it well.

did Traviss do it first or just twist what they did into pure shitnes?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bene Elim posted:

I thought Bioware and Obsidian did the Mando backstory in the KotOR games, and did it well.

did Traviss do it first or just twist what they did into pure shitnes?

She twisted it, Obsidian and Bioware built up on the early Mando stuff from the KOTOR comics.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have no words.

To be fair, it was in the awesome card game. The best part was playing a tusken raider deck back in '98 and trying to pronounce the different names.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Fox of Stone posted:

To be fair, it was in the awesome card game. The best part was playing a tusken raider deck back in '98 and trying to pronounce the different names.

Sticking peanut butter in your mouth and then howling a lot worked very well, at least with my friends.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fox of Stone posted:

My friends and I just use different variations of "Ooh-ror-ror-ror-ror" whether they're correct or not. We can tell the difference!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember reading that Stackpole also wanted to do a story-arc of the X-wing comics involving Boba Fett and the Mandalorians that would have been an homage to The Manchurian Candidate (like how The Rebel Opposition was an homage to the original 50's Anastasia movie).

While that might have been interesting (The Manchurian Candidate is one of my favorite novels/movies) I honestly am glad that at least one major EU series remained empty of the Mandalorians.

DougieC posted:

The Alderaan factor is actually one of the best issues of the Marvel series. Which isn't saying much. It's actually written by the the guy who later wrote Crimson Empire (Randy Stradley, who is pretty much head of Dark Horse's Star Wars projects).

I like a lot of stuff that Randy Stradley has worked on, but every single time I've talked with him over email, forums, or in person he's come across as the biggest jackass in the entire world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they announced any Star Wars games for the Sony Move? I know there's that stupid looking Kinect game but you'd think that they'd have a lightsaber game with the controller that looks like a lightsaber. Of course the same argument was made towards the Wii and that never happened either.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

No Lucasbooks, you're not going to get any of my money that way. The only way I'd even consider spending that kind of money is if Zahn was given complete creative control to write his loving Star Wars Magnum opus, and in the process stepped all over much shittier authors. Then I could justify spending $60 on a hardcover Star Wars book that comes in a little vault. Get on it.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

How could you not include the description:

Amazon.com posted:

The Jedi Path, Fully Illustrated, with Removable Features and a Mechanical Vault

With the push of a button, the doors of the vault open in a wash of light and Star Wars sound effects. The inner platform rises, revealing this exclusive edition of The Jedi Path.

This ancient training manual, crafted by early Jedi Masters, has educated and enlightened generations of Jedi. It explains the history and hierarchy of the Jedi Order, and what Jedi must know to take their place as defenders of the peace in the galaxy—from mastery of the Force to the nuances of lightsaber combat.

Passed down from Master to Padawan, the pages of this venerable text have been annotated by those who have held it, studied it, and lived its secrets. From Yoda and Luke Skywalker to Count Dooku and Darth Sidious, they have shaped the content of the book by leaving mementos tucked within the pages, tearing out pages, and adding their personal experiences as tangible reminders of the lessons they’ve learned.

Through wars and rebellion, only a single copy of this manual has survived. It is now passed on to you.

The ancient Masters who wrote the text: Fae Coven, Grand Master and head of the Jedi Council; Crix Sunburris, Jedi Ace starfighter pilot; Restelly Quist, Jedi Chief Librarian; Skarch Vaunk, Jedi Battlemaster and lightsaber expert; Bowspritz, Jedi Biologist and expert on the Living Force; Sabla-Mandibu, Jedi Seer and Holocron expert; Morrit Ch’gally, Jedi Recruiter; Gal-Stod Slagistrough, Jedi leader of the Agricultural Corps.

Jedi who added personal commentary: Yoda, Thame Cerulian, Count Dooku, Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Ahsoka Tano, Darth Sidious, and Luke Skywalker.

Removable features: A letter tracing the book’s history, a severed Padawan braid, a metal Jedi Credit medallion, a Jedi starfighter patch, a burned poster of the Jedi Code, a map of the Jedi Temple, a lightsaber diagram sketched on the back of a napkin from Dex’s Diner, and a note on the missing pages torn from the book by a Sith.

Created in collaboration with Lucasfilm—along with an acclaimed Star Wars author and revered Star Wars illustrators—this volume provides new insights into the history and lore of the Jedi Order while introducing never-before-seen ships, creatures, characters, and details about how one trains to become a Jedi.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think I should learn about literary criticism so that I can write a 1000 page companion to the EU. Each bad author would get their own chapter (Traviss would get 3), 3-4 chapters dedicated to ripping on the fans, and whatever else I deem necessary.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Darth Freddy posted:

The two guys that gently caress with Luke in the Catina? Yup they are here too.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ponda_Baba

At least they had nothing to do with the death star plans......yet.

They got nothing on BoShek:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BoShek

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

This will be loving terrible. Crappy prequel/EU George brand Jedi philosophy, lightsaber wankmanship, and lovely teenage drivel.

Ehh... I approve of it in theory, and in an ideal world there's nothing I'd like more than to spend hours reading this, but this isn't an ideal world, and I just know this book is going to be filled with the same old bullshit. I don't care if it is near enough direct from SW God Lucas, I don't want my idea of the Jedi torn down.

I'm a self confessed Jedi fanboy who has caught himself writing Jedi fanfic before (there aren't enough cold showers...) but I will NEVER buy this thing.

/rant

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Casimir Radon posted:

I think I should learn about literary criticism so that I can write a 1000 page companion to the EU. Each bad author would get their own chapter (Traviss would get 3), 3-4 chapters dedicated to ripping on the fans, and whatever else I deem necessary.

I would buy that.

Edit: Instead of reading it for free at B&N

Clemen fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 6, 2010

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Ill take three of them.

Tobaccrow posted:

They got nothing on BoShek:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BoShek

Now that's just silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

quote:

Jedi who added personal commentary: Yoda, Thame Cerulian, Count Dooku, Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Ahsoka Tano, Darth Sidious, and Luke Skywalker.

Wut now? I wasn't aware Palps was a Jedi at anypoint.