Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

sexy_trash posted:

With Serena released for "not following the straight edge life style" and reading online that "it is said that Tiffany and the recently released Serena were not the only ones who made embarrassing scenes in public."

Anyone know what happened?

Did she just get sloppy drunk in public?

According to Meltzer, yes. The Divas were partying to hard but Serena got caught by management.

sexy_trash posted:

Because those Kelly Kelly pee sink photos are STILL online!

They're STILL from 2006 or earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So I was wondering, has there ever been anyone who's gimmick is that they're such a generic, crowd pandering, old school style babyface that fans hate them? Not like a Kurt Angle/whatever style where they go on about positive things in a condescending manner but like what happened to Lucky Cannon on NXT but done intentionally.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Rocky Maivia.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Suben posted:

So I was wondering, has there ever been anyone who's gimmick is that they're such a generic, crowd pandering, old school style babyface that fans hate them? Not like a Kurt Angle/whatever style where they go on about positive things in a condescending manner but like what happened to Lucky Cannon on NXT but done intentionally.

The Fabulous Rougeaus fit that description. Kenzo Suzuki, maybe?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Writer Cath posted:

Rocky Maivia.

Was that the point? I thought it was just a case of the crowd turning on him because he was generic, then he got injured, then joined the Nation of Domination when he came back. Not any effort on the part of the bookers to make him a heel via being an overly generic face.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Fucken_Gieux posted:

The Fabulous Rougeaus fit that description. Kenzo Suzuki, maybe?

Kenzo Suzuki was pretty overtly a heel.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Trying and failing, on purpose, is too gray. I realize the worst feeling for a wrestling fan is when people are having a very subtle interaction. There's no way to get in on the action, and booing and cheering is a whole load of fun! It's what separates movies, which can be great and subtle, from live events.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TL posted:

Kenzo Suzuki was pretty overtly a heel.

There was a point and time where he loved America.

On the other hand, something like an intentional Lucky Canon would be swell. Too bad Lucky is a heel and sucks terribly. (OH so terribly. My good god, he couldn't properly do his finisher to Kaval, who has to be one seventy pounds.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Suben posted:

Good guys and Bad guys in wrestling should be clearly defined. Muddying it with things like this just ruins half the point, the crowd should never, ever, even have a small chance of being confused.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I'm pretty sure Hogan was getting a lot of heat before he joined the NWO, I'd put Cena in the same category. I know he's booked for kids to cheer him but it's the same type of reaction Hogan was getting.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Suben posted:

.. Santino?

He got a huge reaction in his debut, but the moment they left Italy, the crowd had no reason to cheer him, and he was just an 80s babyface, who put on bad matches. I don't think he started incorporating any of the heel mannerisms into his character until a few weeks after the crowd completely turned on him, and cheered on Umaga, as he proceeded to beat Santino into a pulp.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Fucken_Gieux posted:

The Fabulous Rougeaus fit that description.

Nuh uh. Their gimmick was obviously fake patriotism while purposefully loving up facts about America. The part in French in their entrance music actually admits they're huge trolls and hate Americans. They were heels from the start.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Which brings up a weird counterpoint: Even 80's heels are faces today. Iron Sheik turned face despite never really being a nice guy. Rowdy Roddy Piper is cheered and remembered fondly for all that devious poo poo he did (except the half-brown thing). Even IRS got chants on the Bob Barker Raw, didn't he?

They should give Drew McIntyre a fabulous Rogeaus gimmick. With his accent, being a false flagwaver would be really really funny.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Which brings up a weird counterpoint: Even 80's heels are faces today. Iron Sheik turned face despite never really being a nice guy. Rowdy Roddy Piper is cheered and remembered fondly for all that devious poo poo he did (except the half-brown thing). Even IRS got chants on the Bob Barker Raw, didn't he?

They aren't heels cheered as faces, they're stars cheered for being stars. Also, Piper has beenn a face since Wrestlemania, aside from a short heer tin in the early 2000s feuding with Hogan and managing Sean O'Hare.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Critical posted:

Nuh uh. Their gimmick was obviously fake patriotism while purposefully loving up facts about America. The part in French in their entrance music actually admits they're huge trolls and hate Americans. They were heels from the start.

Hence the intentional!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WeaselWeaz posted:

They aren't heels cheered as faces, they're stars cheered for being stars. Also, Piper has beenn a face since Wrestlemania, aside from a short heer tin in the early 2000s feuding with Hogan and managing Sean O'Hare.

I just recalled how even though Hogan/Piper was not my era and I never cared much for either, how awesome it was for Piper to show up during Hogan/Vince.

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

Suben posted:

Bob Backlund, WWF 1993-1994

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Eugene Jerome posted:

Bob Backlund, WWF 1993-1994

I thought his gimmick then was that he was batshit loopy, or did that come later?

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I thought his gimmick then was that he was batshit loopy, or did that come later?

Bland babyface that didn't get over when he came back in 1992-3 then went and snapped a year and a half later on Bret to turn heel

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
What about Kozlov before he debuted as a wrestler? Remember when he would just be ringside and talk about how much he loved America and the "double double E"? He got booed like crazy and I was never sure if it was intentional or not.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

joshtothemaxx posted:

What about Kozlov before he debuted as a wrestler? Remember when he would just be ringside and talk about how much he loved America and the "double double E"? He got booed like crazy and I was never sure if it was intentional or not.

I think they booed him because he had a Russian accent :smith:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Horse Pepsi posted:

I think they booed him because he had a Russian accent :smith:

There are certain times watching wrestling when I am very strongly reminded of the futurama episode where bender becomes an ultimate robot fighter, and one of the heels is "The Foreigner". It really does seem like to get booed by an american wrestling crowd all you have to do is essentially say "I'm not from around here! I have my own customs and traditions! Look at my ca-raaaaazy passport!".

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

SiKboy posted:

There are certain times watching wrestling when I am very strongly reminded of the futurama episode where bender becomes an ultimate robot fighter, and one of the heels is "The Foreigner". It really does seem like to get booed by an american wrestling crowd all you have to do is essentially say "I'm not from around here! I have my own customs and traditions! Look at my ca-raaaaazy passport!".

People have argued that insulting the crowd/local sports team is the easiest way to get cheap heat. I think speaking in a foreign language/heavy accent is very close to that.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

CVagts posted:

People have argued that insulting the crowd/local sports team is the easiest way to get cheap heat. I think speaking in a foreign language/heavy accent is very close to that.

Coming up from behind in third place is being effeminate or gay :smith:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

SiKboy posted:

I want someone to just do that. Just do "The Foreigner" speech and hold up a giant passport.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Horse Pepsi posted:

Coming up from behind in third place is being effeminate or gay :smith:

:downsrim:

Insulting the audience's sports affiliation or patriotism is one sort of cheap heat, but I don't think the crowd will necessarily turn on anyone foreign simply due to their nationality. Plenty have managed to be faces and stay over.

Guzim
Nov 10, 2007

Take me away from this big bad world and agree to marry me. So we can start over again.

CVagts posted:

Another easy way is simply telling the crowd to shut up. Edge is awesome at that.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Suben posted:

Bret Hart in 97 is probably the closest thing to this. Sure, he whined, but he had very legitimate reasons to whine. The storyline and promo that Bret gave after WM made it clear that the writers wanted to give the impression that it was the same old Bret and the (american) fans simply chose to root for the anti-hero over the classic old school babyface.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Horse Pepsi posted:

Bland babyface that didn't get over when he came back in 1992-3 then went and snapped a year and a half later on Bret to turn heel

This time period is in the process of having issues of the Observer posted on their website. It's pretty fun to see Dave completely confused as to why Backlund was hired.

SiKboy posted:

It really does seem like to get booed by an american wrestling crowd all you have to do is essentially say "I'm not from around here! I have my own customs and traditions! Look at my ca-raaaaazy passport!".

American crowd in general. Same thing happens in UFC, if it's American vs foreigner there are "USA" chants.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I want someone to just do that. Just do "The Foreigner" speech and hold up a giant passport.

I think we figured out how Chris Jericho will be repackaged when (if?) he comes back with a new contract.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Insulting the audience's sports affiliation or patriotism is one sort of cheap heat, but I don't think the crowd will necessarily turn on anyone foreign simply due to their nationality. Plenty have managed to be faces and stay over.

Justin Gabriel was a babyface in NXT and was paired up with Matt Hardy and still got the poo poo booed out of him on one episode for mentioning that he came from South Africa.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The Yoshi Tatsu/Shelton promo is the gold standard on foreigners being heels no matter what.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Umbra Dubium posted:

Wrestling fans have successfully bought the idea of EVIL CANADIANS more than once.

They are so xenophobic they are afraid of Canadians.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

WeaselWeaz posted:

American crowd in general. Same thing happens in UFC, if it's American vs foreigner there are "USA" chants.

To be fair there have been USA chants in matches that don't feature anyone from the USA.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Croc posted:

The Yoshi Tatsu/Shelton promo is the gold standard on foreigners being heels no matter what.

I'm not exactly sure I follow, the one where Shelton cut a stupidly racist promo on a startled Yoshi and got the crowd to cheer happily for Yoshi as he started kicking the poo poo out of Shelton?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not exactly sure I follow, the one where Shelton cut a stupidly racist promo on a startled Yoshi and got the crowd to cheer happily for Yoshi as he started kicking the poo poo out of Shelton?

That's what I saw, too. I think they're technically correct in that things involving Shelton are "gold standards" by default.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Yoshi may not have been a heel but the crowd sure loved the racist jokes!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Moose Bigelow posted:

To be fair there have been USA chants in matches that don't feature anyone from the USA.

I forget when this happened last (it was recent wasn't it?) and Joe Rogan was very quick to point it out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaselWeaz posted:

This time period is in the process of having issues of the Observer posted on their website. It's pretty fun to see Dave completely confused as to why Backlund was hired.

That's not true. If it is a foreigner the crowd doesn't like or an American they really like, you'll sometimes see USA chants. But it is pretty rare for a UFC crowd to chant USA during a foreigner vs American fight. Just think about exactly how many of those fights UFC promotes.

Hell, with GSP vs Americans and Machida vs Evans, the foreigner was the beloved babyface!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Bret Hart in 97 is probably the closest thing to this. Sure, he whined, but he had very legitimate reasons to whine. The storyline and promo that Bret gave after WM made it clear that the writers wanted to give the impression that it was the same old Bret and the (american) fans simply chose to root for the anti-hero over the classic old school babyface.

During that time period, Bret did a promo on a Raw from Pittsburgh and said that America needed an enema and Pittsburgh would be where they would stick the hose. I don't think that sounds like something a pandering babyface would say.