Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2xSlick
Feb 9, 2010

codyclarke posted:

Arnold had to fight pretty hard in Predator, especially the 3rd act.

But he trades his assault rifle for mud and a rock. And survives a nuclear explosion by jumping. I think he was just screwing around with the Predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

2xSlick posted:

But he trades his assault rifle for mud and a rock. And survives a nuclear explosion by jumping. I think he was just screwing around with the Predator.

Only other one I can think of then is Pedicab Driver. Sammo Hung is still really strong in it, but he gets really big bruises and black eyes and poo poo along the way, and isn't too confident for most of the film.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Doesn't he get shot in Last Action Hero?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Last Action Hero (Why are we spoiling these old movies?): Yes, and almost dies. Then the kid gets him back into the movie and it becomes only a flesh wound.

2xSlick posted:

Can anyone think of some really good post 1980's action movies where the hero doesn't completely walk all over the bad guys and actually has to struggle to win? With the whole Schwarzenegger/Stallone films running rampant, the only two action stars I can think of that fit are Harrison Ford and Jackie Chan. Both of them can sell a punch and usually don't gain the upper hand until they pull out their ace in the hole (the flying tackle or jumping off a building, respectfully).

The first Die Hard would fit but then 2-4 made Willis a loud-mouthed superhero.

Firewall. It's a Harrison Ford movie, and pretty average, but it did seem like they portrayed the fact that he's an old man fighting much younger and stronger guys somewhat accurately.

I recall the technology stuff being mostly ludicrous, though.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In Hellraiser who was the crazy homeless-looking dude who was eating crickets in the pet store, and what was his significance?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

2xSlick posted:

Can anyone think of some really good post 1980's action movies where the hero doesn't completely walk all over the bad guys and actually has to struggle to win? With the whole Schwarzenegger/Stallone films running rampant, the only two action stars I can think of that fit are Harrison Ford and Jackie Chan. Both of them can sell a punch and usually don't gain the upper hand until they pull out their ace in the hole (the flying tackle or jumping off a building, respectfully).

The first Die Hard would fit but then 2-4 made Willis a loud-mouthed superhero.

Semi-related: Is Kindergarten Cop the only movie were Schwarzenegger gets shot and requires medical treatment?

The first Matrix film? Granted Neo kicks Smith's rear end pretty handily once he comes back from the dead, but, you know, he does die first.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
edit: post 80s. :doh:

I can reads good.

Maybe the Crank films? Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, because Chev Chelios never really slows down or struggles, but he does get his rear end handed to him quite a bit. He just takes it and keep rolling.

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 6, 2010

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Parts of Kick-rear end are one of the obvious answers, too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

GORDON posted:

In Hellraiser who was the crazy homeless-looking dude who was eating crickets in the pet store, and what was his significance?

A puzzle guardian. These are the things that track the boxes for safekeeping. They have appearances in some of the other movies as well.

go down to puzzle guardian and it gives a list of appearances.
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-hellraiser-characters

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

GORDON posted:

Wasn't he the same guy that grabbed the box out of the hobo fire, turned into a demon and flew away?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

2xSlick posted:

Can anyone think of some really good post 1980's action movies where the hero doesn't completely walk all over the bad guys and actually has to struggle to win? [spoiler]?

Assault on Precinct 13 would fit, but it is a remake of a pre-1980s movie.

Also Indy didn't say anything in my theatre.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

KillRoy posted:

Wasn't he the same guy that grabbed the box out of the hobo fire, turned into a demon and flew away?

Yes, these guys manifest themselves in different ways. They really aren't touched on in the novella but they go into more detail about them in the comic books.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zogo posted:

Yes, these guys manifest themselves in different ways. They really aren't touched on in the novella but they go into more detail about them in the comic books.

I read the info in the link you provided above; thanks.

I didn't realize the hobo was also the "What's your pleasure?" guy at the beginning and end.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I really need to watch Hellraiser again. That series went downhill fast, but the first few weren't too bad.

At least we get to see CD shooting Cenobites, right?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I'm a huge Simpsons nerd but kind of keep my interest relegated to pre-season 10 episodes. So, it should be no surprise I wasn't a huge fan of the movie. The most baffling thing to me, though, was how Arnold Schwarzenegger, and not Rainier Wolfcastle, was the President. Have there been any interviews with any of the Simpsons writers as to why this was the case? The character model is identical, as is the voice, and it's not like the president being Schwarzeneggar was a drawing point to bring people into the movie... so, why change it?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Riptor posted:

I'm a huge Simpsons nerd but kind of keep my interest relegated to pre-season 10 episodes. So, it should be no surprise I wasn't a huge fan of the movie. The most baffling thing to me, though, was how Arnold Schwarzenegger, and not Rainier Wolfcastle, was the President. Have there been any interviews with any of the Simpsons writers as to why this was the case? The character model is identical, as is the voice, and it's not like the president being Schwarzeneggar was a drawing point to bring people into the movie... so, why change it?
I believe your exact question is answered in one of the commentaries, but the writing and editing of the movie was ridiculous in that they cut out or changed whatever they felt was the slightest bit unnecessary even if it was funny, or didn't get the strongest reaction out of test audiences. In this case they're trying to appeal to the largest audience who may not be entirely familiar with Ranier Wolfcastle, because in theory having Schwarzenegger as president will be funnier than McBain as president.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
Yeah, the movie seems like it was made so that it would have appeal to casual watchers of the show, or even those who don't watch it at all or haven't seen it. The McBain joke thus may not have been as funny as it would have to those who are avid fans.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

KillRoy posted:

I really need to watch Hellraiser again. That series went downhill fast, but the first few weren't too bad.

Parts 3 and 4 were very bad. Part 3 turned the cenobites into transformers. CD cenobite? :waycool: Stereo cenobite awesome. Dishwasher cenobite? Maybe not. Part 4 could've been a decent prequel if they had stayed in the past. But they kept alternating between past, present and future until it became laughable.

Inferno (part 5) was a step back into the right direction. Hellseeker (part 6) was a decent direct-to-DVD if you ask me and easily the best since the first two. Deader (part 7) is horribly bad. One of the most convoluted movies I've ever seen and Hellword (part 8) shouldn't even be in the franchise. "Pinhead hacked my website uhoh!"

I've heard there are a few fan films but I haven't seen them. And that the reboot will be 3D.

KillRoy posted:

At least we get to see CD shooting Cenobites, right?

CD cenobites depress me heavily. It's the destiny of every horror franchise.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Zogo posted:

CD cenobites depress me heavily. It's the destiny of every horror franchise.

Eh, that's a pretty grim and static viewpoint. The future of horror will grow and be versatile, with ipod docks built into everyones' skulls instead.

Or go retro with betamax butts.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Or go retro with betamax butts.
Long live the New Flesh.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SubG posted:

Long live the New Flesh.

Bravo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cacator posted:

I believe your exact question is answered in one of the commentaries, but the writing and editing of the movie was ridiculous in that they cut out or changed whatever they felt was the slightest bit unnecessary even if it was funny, or didn't get the strongest reaction out of test audiences. In this case they're trying to appeal to the largest audience who may not be entirely familiar with Ranier Wolfcastle, because in theory having Schwarzenegger as president will be funnier than McBain as president.

Hank Scorpio was dropped as the leader of the EPA and replaced with the new character for the same reason.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Hank Scorpio was dropped as the leader of the EPA and replaced with the new character for the same reason.

I think you made that one up because Russ Cargill, like Hank Scorpio, was made up in the Simpsons Universe, meaning they didn't replace an established Simpsons character for a cartoon version of a real person.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I think you made that one up because Russ Cargill, like Hank Scorpio, was made up in the Simpsons Universe, meaning they didn't replace an established Simpsons character for a cartoon version of a real person.

I think what he meant was that a brand new character would be more accessible than one with history on the show, bonot that Cargill is actually a person.

I had only heard that they considered Scorpio as the villain and then changed it, not that it would have basically been the same role as Cargill.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can see Scorpio in the EPA role on the DVD, actually. I'm not sure where in the bonus features it is, but I remember a scene of Scorpio standing outside the president's office with the multi-eyed squirrel. I think it's a cut extension or early version or something of a scene that's in the final cut.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I quoted the wrong guy. I meant to quote Butthole Prince.

Wolfcastle and Scorpio were both switched so the movie was more accessible.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 10, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the first Mission Impossible movie and I never understood how exactly Cruise figures out the whole scheme from seeing that the bible was from the hotel from Chicago.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
With Tron Legacy opening this Christmas 28 years after the original, I'm wondering if it's the longest sequel ever released? If not what is the longest sequel?
I'm only counting movies that got a decent enough cinema release.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Slasherfan posted:

With Tron Legacy opening this Christmas 28 years after the original, I'm wondering if it's the longest sequel ever released? If not what is the longest sequel?
I'm only counting movies that got a decent enough cinema release.
Apparently it's The Birds and Birds II with 31 years in between for movies.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1852056_1852251_1852252,00.html

Of course if you're talking about GOOD sequels then I guess we'll have to wait until Tron Legacy comes out. Original one wasn't that great in the first place.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1852056_1852251_1852252,00.html

Of course if you're talking about GOOD sequels then I guess we'll have to wait until Tron Legacy comes out. Original one wasn't that great in the first place.

If Return to Oz was meant to be a sequel to the MGM film, wouldn't that be 46 years between movies?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

doctor 7 posted:

Birds 2 is a TV movie so I don't really count that. Is Return To Oz considered a sequel to The Wizard Of Oz?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Slasherfan posted:

Birds 2 is a TV movie so I don't really count that. Is Return To Oz considered a sequel to The Wizard Of Oz?
To me a movie's a movie. While TV movies are usually not very good I've seen some drat fine ones in my day.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

I think so. It features the ruby slippers, which were created for the 1939 film and did not appear in any of the books.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

If you count direct to DVD, there are 64 years between Bambi and Bambi II.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
If you count miniseries (which I don't) there were 55 years between Gone With the Wind and Scarlett.

Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

ClydeUmney posted:

If you count direct to DVD, there are 64 years between Bambi and Bambi II.

It had a theatrical release in most of Europe.

Although it's technically a midquel...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does Hamlet 2 count?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'm looking for a piece of music that's been overused in movie trailers, I think especially in the 90's. It's typically used for fantasy childrens' movies, and has this ethereal, mysterious quality to it. It's an orchestral piece that heavily features orchestral bells and maybe a boys choir, and it sounds like something Danny Elfman would have done, though I doubt he did. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and can point me to a Youtube clip or at least a name?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. It's in the trailer for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and it's VII Aquarium from Camille Saint-Saens' Carnivale Des Animaux.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 11, 2010

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Watching the first Mission Impossible movie and I never understood how exactly Cruise figures out the whole scheme from seeing that the bible was from the hotel from Chicago.

Firstly, the Bible is from the Drake Hotel in Chicago. Only one member of the IMF team has been to the Drake Hotel in Chicago: Jim Phelps. Jim stole the Bible from his hotel room. Why would Jim Phelps need a Bible? Secondly, it's known that there is a mole inside the IMF team. This mole communicates with Max using the alias "Job 3:14", as in the Biblical Job. Therefore, the mole is the only person on the team with a reason to have a Bible on hand. Therefore, Jim Phelps is the mole. [Of course, Max's line "Job is not given to quoting scripture" means that Job/Jim actually has no reason to have a Bible at all. So well done on spotting this plot hole. Unless Max is lying.]

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

doctor 7 posted:

To me a movie's a movie. While TV movies are usually not very good I've seen some drat fine ones in my day.

Exactly, and don't bring up 'Duel' to slasherfan as it may be too confusing (Was a TV movie in the US, but had a longer theatrical release in Europe - does that still make it a TV movie?)

On that note, best TV movie ever made? Has to be either 'The Town that dreaded Sundown' or 'Elvis' with Kurt Russell right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm looking for a piece of music that's been overused in movie trailers, I think especially in the 90's. It's typically used for fantasy childrens' movies, and has this ethereal, mysterious quality to it. It's an orchestral piece that heavily features orchestral bells and maybe a boys choir, and it sounds like something Danny Elfman would have done, though I doubt he did. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and can point me to a Youtube clip or at least a name?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. It's in the trailer for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and it's VII Aquarium from Camille Saint-Saens' Carnivale Des Animaux.

On this topic is the Benjamin Button any good?